LA LA - Carol Cole, 17, Shreveport, Dec 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think that what strikes me as weird, that I do not think that anyone mentioned, is that she was wearing men's underwear. Carl, gave an excellent earlier post about children lost in the shuffle of CPS and foster care. While this girl could have been loved, the underwear would signal to me that she was possibly transient or a runaway. Her entire outfit could have been some kind of a goodwill or consignment buy, or maybe she borrowed the shoes. I would think that if she were from that region, you would have easily been able to identify her by the names on the tennis shoes, unless they were borrowed or second hand purchases. Does that seem like a logical possibility at all to anyone else?

I think that what strikes me as weird, that I do not think that anyone mentioned, is that she was wearing men's underwear. Carl, gave an excellent earlier post about children lost in the shuffle of CPS and foster care. While this girl could have been loved, the underwear would signal to me that she was possibly transient or a runaway. Her entire outfit could have been some kind of a goodwill or consignment buy, or maybe she borrowed the shoes. I would think that if she were from that region, you would have easily been able to identify her by the names on the tennis shoes, unless they were borrowed or second hand purchases. Does that seem like a logical possibility at all to anyone else?

Yes - men's underwear on a girl and shoes with names on them might suggest that she came from some sort of institution.

I used to wear men's underwear when I was in my teens. I'm sure I was probably an odd duck but I liked them because they fit better than women's. I no longer do that though.

Our Featured Cold Case from 7/10 to 7/17/2011

May she be identified!

:rose:

This case is quite interesting. I want to throw in a couple of thoughts before starting to sniff around online...I have a permanent retainer, so LE would know I've had braces. Perhaps that's why there's a question regarding whether she had them on at the time or not. Just an idea.

Also, if they were removed before completion of treatment, there may have been cement on her teeth still. If you pulled them off yourself, you prob wouldn't be able to scrape all of the cement off...OR if people drank acidic/sugary drinks, there is that square outline on the teeth where you can tell someone had braces - discoloration. IF they were removed outside of an ortho office, perhaps it WAS someone who was underage and prostituted. The braces could have been a "turn off" for johns...er um for other purposes too. Sorry. Just thinking.

I'll keep this case in my thoughts. She deserves a name and a burial. My heart aches for her.

ETA: I guess the permanent retainer would rule out her completing ortho treatment...so there must have been cement or stains...

Hi everybody!

Question: Why isn't the brand of jean, shirt, sweater & belt supplied in her info?

The reason I ask is bc it could help determine her class level.

Goolagong tennis shoes were popular with "preppy" girls. I had a pair that I wore all the time. I had Sergio Valente jeans with a Valente belt that I wore with those shoes all the time. Incidentally, my Valente belt was leather with a steer buckle, but they made other that looked like buffalo. The white shirt with pink, blue & yellow stripes I can picture in my head right now - I had one too. I always matched my socks...which I can see this Jane Doe did too. I can picture the sweater in my mind right now - I had one too...long enough to go to my butt, long sleeves, hood that was wide bc it was mostly for looks, a belt that ties in the front! This girl could be me in 1980-1981.

Ok, I have no idea...just throwing that info out there. I think we should find out her brand of clothes. It would tell us if they were high end or not. For instance, back then you couldn't buy Sergio Valente jeans at a low end chain store. You could only find them at the better stores, in the mall, like Srrawbridge & Clothier, Bamberger's, Macy's, etc. Jordache was the same way back then. Now you can buy them at Walmart but back then they were expensive in the mall. (FYI - Macy's bought out Bamberger's but they were owned by the same company anyway.)

One more thing: this gal had on men's white briefs. I played tennis and ran alot. I wore these briefs too bc they didn't ride up my azz like women's juniors did. I was tiny, very thin, but my hips were big. My waist was 10 inches smaller than my hips so, when doing sports if I wore women's panties I'd get a wedgie All The Time...so I wore men's white briefs just like this gal! Remember, back then thongs weren't really even thought of. Victoria's Secret and their famous g-strings weren't around in the U.S.

I'm wondering if this young lady could have come from a middle to upper class family. Is there a way we could find out her brand of clothing items?

Another thing:

I think the names on her tennis shoes were from a mixed doubles match or tournament. The reason I think mixed doubles is bc Jane Doe is female, but 2 of the names on her tennis shoes are definitely male...the other name could be female.

Here's a suggestion:

Jane Doe & Michael Brisco
vs
David Resha & D. Davies

Additional info sporatically placed in article...Pasting in full bc I can't find the cached link- only the present link. This article is from 2009 & contains all proper attribution:

http://www.wafb.com/story/9751011/w...old-case?clienttype=printable&redirected=true

Quote:

Who is Jane Doe? Bossier Investigators release new photo in cold case

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 9:38 PM
Updated: Feb 04, 2009 5:39 PM

BOSSIER PARISH, LA*(KSLA) -*Bossier Sheriff Larry Deen's investigators and Bossier Parish Coroner Dr. John Chandler want to know, "Who is ‘Jane Doe'?"* They are hoping a new facial reconstruction can help them answer that question.

"We're asking for your help and hopefully seeing this picture will jog somebody's memory and be able to find this young lady's name, notify her family give them closure and finally put her to rest," Dr. Chandler said at a news conference Wednesday afternoon. **

The mystery dates back to a cool January day in 1981 when her partially decomposed body was found by a man walking down an old logging road off of Louisiana Highway 157 in northeast Bossier Parish.* Bossier Sheriff's investigators know that she was young, white and blonde.* She had been stabbed in the chest several times.* A kitchen knife, believed to be the murder weapon, was found plunged into the ground near her body. At the time, the then Bossier Parish Coroner estimated the woman had been dead about four to six weeks when her body was found.* Her age was thought to be in the late teens to early 20s and her height was believed to be 5 feet 5 inches to 5 feet 6 inches tall.* She weighed 130-140 pounds.

"What you would think would've happened after her body was discovered is that somebody would come forward and say, ‘She's a missing person, she belongs to oiur family,' but that did not happen," Baswell says.* "Pretty unusual.* This whole case is unusual. You're looking at 30 years where someone has not been identified. You would think someone would have missed her, and would have been looking for her, but that has not been the case. And Baswell says investigators have exhausted every avenue, from dental records to sending thumbprints to the FBI.* Nothing panned out. **

Now, thanks to the work of forensic anthropologist Mary Manhein of the L.S.U. F.A.C.E.S. (Forensic Anthropology and Computer Enhancement Services) Laboratory in Baton Rouge, Deen and his investigators have something new to work with.* Manhein and her associates have put together a new facial reconstruction of the victim. Manhein credits the artistry of Eileen Barrow, who works with Manhein at the F.A.C.E.S. Lab.* "It really takes an artist, because she's working with a two-dimensional image, because they were working with a picture of a skull, which had tissue depth markers."* The actual skull is no longer available to work from. They used Photoshop to combining Barrow's artistry with Manhein's anthropology expertise to come up with the new image. *

Until now the only reconstruction available was a photo of a clay likeness based on the victim's skull.* That image was released in 1984, three years after the murder.* Forensic technology has come a long way since then. *"We have a better understanding of it today," says Manhein.* But, she warns, "The purpose is not for it to look just like someone but to grab someone's attention." *It will be the unique articles of clothing found at the crime scene and on ‘Jane Doe' that Manhein and investigators believe will provide the final positive identification. *

They have many details about her clothing, including her designer tennis shoes with friends' names signed on them. The most distinguishing items she wore were an unusual belt buckle in the shape of a buffalo nickel and a pair of Evonne Goolagong-brand tennis shoes.* On the sides of the shoes were written the names "Michael Brisco, David; Resha and D. Davies."

She was dressed in a beige, long-sleeved, button-up, hooded sweater; white athletic socks with blue and yellow stripes; blue jeans; men's white briefs; a white bra; and a woman's-style, button-up white shirt with small stripes of pink, blue and yellow.

When the body was found in 1981, the Bossier Sheriff's Office immediately began investigating the homicide and in 1984 questioned serial killer Henry Lee Lucas about the crime.* He was brought to the site where the body was found and told investigators he recognized the area.* He subsequently admitted he killed "Jane Doe," was arrested and eventually indicted by a grand jury.* Lucas died in prison before he could return to Bossier Parish to stand trial on a murder charge.* He never revealed any clues as to who she was or where he might have picked her up. "Henry Lee Lucas' ‘M.O' [modus operandi, Latin for "method of operation"] was just to pick women up as he moved across the country. I'm not sure he even knew where he picked her up. *I doubt that he even knew her name. That was the way he operated," says Baswell.

If "Jane Doe" is identified, the Bossier Sheriff's Office and the Bossier Parish Coroner hope to bring closure to the victim's loved ones.**"The relatives of this young lady could be anywhere from Florida to California. We just don't know.* But we're hoping with your help in publicizing this photograph this reconstruction that *somebody will see the face, it will ring a bell and they will call us up and say I know exactly who that is. When we find out who this is, then we would be able hopefully to go to the family and say, this is your loved one and give them closure."

Baswell says they're hoping the media can help get the image out across the country.* Anyone with information concerning the identity of "Jane Doe" is encouraged to call the Bossier Sheriff's Office at 318-965-2203 and ask for a detective.

I also think Mary Opitz could be a match. Is it possible for someone to submit her as a possible match?

FL Mary Opitz (17) - Fort Myers FL, 1981 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
Missing Since: January 16, 1981 from Fort Myers, Florida
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Date Of Birth: December 13, 1963
Height and Weight: 5'4 - 5'5, 105 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, green/hazel eyes. Opitz has a scar between the fingers of her left hand. She wore braces on her teeth at the time of her disappearance.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A brown velveteen jacket, a white pullover shirt, designer jeans, brown pumps, two gold bracelets, and a gold necklace with a charm.

Details of Disappearance

Opitz was last seen leaving the Edison Mall and heading towards the parking lot in Fort Myers, Florida on the evening January 16, 1981. A package she was carrying at the time was found near her car later in the day. She was initially believed to be a runaway, as there was no evidence of a crime in her case.

I just sent an e-mail to Helen Bouzon of LSU Faces Lab to see if Mary Opitz had ever been compared.

This case is quite interesting. I want to throw in a couple of thoughts before starting to sniff around online...I have a permanent retainer, so LE would know I've had braces. Perhaps that's why there's a question regarding whether she had them on at the time or not. Just an idea.

Also, if they were removed before completion of treatment, there may have been cement on her teeth still. If you pulled them off yourself, you prob wouldn't be able to scrape all of the cement off...OR if people drank acidic/sugary drinks, there is that square outline on the teeth where you can tell someone had braces - discoloration. IF they were removed outside of an ortho office, perhaps it WAS someone who was underage and prostituted. The braces could have been a "turn off" for johns...er um for other purposes too. Sorry. Just thinking.

I'll keep this case in my thoughts. She deserves a name and a burial. My heart aches for her.

ETA: I guess the permanent retainer would rule out her completing ortho treatment...so there must have been cement or stains...

How old are you (you don't have to give specifics, just a range) I ask because I had braces 15 years ago and I do not have a permanent retainer and not a lot of people my age do either. I think it is a fairly new thing (new as in around my time it was just coming out).

How old are you (you don't have to give specifics, just a range) I ask because I had braces 15 years ago and I do not have a permanent retainer and not a lot of people my age do either. I think it is a fairly new thing (new as in around my time it was just coming out).

(obviously, I'm not TL but here's my $.02). My husband and I both had braces about 25 years ago. We are both 38. He still has a permanent retainer and I do not - so maybe it depends on the orthodontist?

Oh and Jersey*Girl posted a little ways back and said that DoeNetwork said the braces were still on - hopefully they've got that info correct! I'm so glad this girl is getting some time in the WS spotlight!

the names written on the shoes are interesting, I am wondering if they are lawyers names.
one * R name fits with a guy who went to Loyola College, NO in 1965, he was from nashville tn, there is a lawyer by that name in tn.
two *B name could be a lawyer in Texas
I haven't found any law firms listing those names together.

I'm almost 30 and had braces at 22. Almost everyone I know who had braces within 10 years has a permanent retainer =)

I just sent an e-mail to Helen Bouzon of LSU Faces Lab to see if Mary Opitz had ever been compared.

Helen responded that Mary Opitz has already been compared and ruled-out by dentals.

Just spitballing here:

I worked at an emergency youth shelter a long time ago, where teenagers stayed for various reasons—delinquency, abuse, neglect, etc. One of the young men who stayed there for quite a while had braces. He had been in the care of the state for years, and the state paid for his braces. We took the residents to various doctor’s appointments all the time. We weren’t a secure facility, and sometimes kids that would run away would go a few miles down the road to the highway, where they’d try to hitch a ride. So dangerous. Maybe something like that happened with this Jane Doe.

There’s a juvenile detention facility in Jefferson Parish, which I believe is the parish that Metairie is in. It’s the Richard Rivarde Memorial Home.
http://www.jeffparish.net/index.cfm?DocID=4403

Perhaps this Jane Doe was there, or someplace like that nearby, at one point. Being a runaway would explain why her parents didn’t report her missing. I’m not sure whether or not the case worker would report a juvenile who’s run away from a detention facility, or group home, missing.

I’m unclear on whether the names on her shoes match up to offenders. It sounds like from Tamar’s post that they were related to offenders? A lot of times kids would come through the youth shelter with siblings, or siblings would be there at different points in time.

ETA: Bossier Parish also has a juvenile detention facility.
http://appellateproject.org/PRISON LISTING - Web.pdf

Hi guys:

My first post ever! Someone mentioned a juvenile detention facility in Metairie, LA. And Jefferson Parish. Those are both in South Louisiana.

Those are over probably 6 hours away, especially in 1981 as there was no north/south interstate highway in Louisiana until the 1990's when I49 was opened.

It's not impossible that a person from South Louisiana would end up in North Louisiana by any means at that time.

Also, there is a cultural difference between folks in South Louisiana and Northern.

Bossier Parish is in the Northwestern corner of Louisiana. Much nearer Dallas than to the New Orleans/Metairie area. I used to live in Caddo Parish, which is right next door to Bossier.

My intuition (for what it's worth) would be either someone from the Texas/Arkansas/Mississippi area (if she's a somewhat "local" person.) or the serial killer type person who was traveling along I20.

Also, the area she was found in is VERY remote. And remember our roads in LA are not the best and not well marked. Seems to indicate somewhat a familiarity with the area?

But I'm new to this. I've been looking for a male match to a skull that was found in Caddo Parish in recent years, just cause I was struck by his face. That's how I got involved here.

Made me happy to see a "hometown" case on the featured ones. Thanks.

Keep up the good work. sb

HI there....I used to live in Caddo Parish too! I was actually living there at the time of this case and don't remember hearing anything about it. There is a strong possibility that this person could have come to the area to live with or visit someone associated with the Air Force base. It was quite active at the time and a large percentage of those in Bossier had some association or another with the base. If there was truly a link to Henry Lee Lucas, he could have met her anywhere and simply disposed of her at his convenience. It is creepy to even think of him being in the area during the time that I lived there. Unfortunately with the air base and the Lucas connection, she could be missing from just about anywhere!

jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper