LA LA - Carol Cole, 17, Shreveport, Dec 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought many cases Lucas claimed were later proven to be false confessions?

I thought many cases Lucas claimed were later proven to be false confessions?

That is true, but in the book Bringing Adam Home by Les Standiford (about the Adam Walsh kidnapping and murder), it details how Hollywood FL PD insisted for 27 years that Ottis Toole (i.e., the partner of Henry Lee Lucas) falsely confessed to Adam's murder.

It was only after all the key figures in the Hollywood FL power structure died or retired, that Miami Detective Joe Matthews stepped in and took a fresh look at all of the evidence. He found overwhelming evidence that Toole did in fact kidnap and kill Adam, and that his confession was truthful. Among the evidence that Hollywood PD neglected to even look at was a bloody imprint of Adam's face (made visible by Luminol) on the floorboard of Toole's Cadillac. The lead detective in Adam's case never bothered to develop the photos taken by the forensic team.

It's probably true that many of Lucas' confessions were false, but I would not presume that all of his confessions were false. I came away from that book wondering how often LE decides that a confession is false, and then closes off all consideration of evidence that proves otherwise.

I believe the featured cold case, Bossier Parish - Female 61UFLA resembles Melinda Karen Creech featured on The Doe Network Case File 1297DFIN.

I believe the featured cold case, Bossier Parish - Female 61UFLA resembles Melinda Karen Creech featured on The Doe Network Case File 1297DFIN.

Omg I agree! I was looking at Creech's info a few days ago! I can't believe this is your first post & you saw the same thing! Amazing!

I blew it off & brushed it aside bc Melinda Creech's info said nothing about braces...but guess what? There's a couple names on this Jane Doe's tennis shoe that have those same people's names from IN. Guess what? They played tennis! But problem is that Melinda was a runaway. She was in a juvenille detention center that she ran away from with a friend from there also, if I'm remembering what I read right.

Maybe we should call the police or detectives working on Melinda's case so they can look into this Jane Doe. If she's not Melinda, maybe she's somebody else that Melinda may have known since LA is so far away from IN and those names on the tennis shoe is just wow to me!

Welcome to websleuths!

Here is Melinda Karen Creech's info:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/creech_melinda.html

creech_melinda5.jpg
creech_melinda_ap.jpg

Snipped:
Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: September 4, 1979 from Anderson, Indiana
Classification: Endangered Runaway
Date of Birth: September 21, 1965
Height and Weight: 5'3, 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic female. Blonde to light brown hair, blue eyes. Melinda's nickname is Mindy. She has previously fractured her lower arm, her ears are pierced and she has a small mole on her left eyebrow. She may use the alias first name Mandy or the alias middle name Dawn. Some agencies give her date of birth as September 21, 1964.

Details of Disappearance

Melinda was placed in the Blake House, an all-girls juvenile detention facility, in 1979 after she and another teenager were caught stealing motorcycles. She ran away from the facility on September 4 of that year. In 1994, Melinda's mother, Shirley Creech, told her other four children that a badly decomposed body found in New Jersey had been identified as Melinda. They believed her, although no funeral service was ever conducted for the child.
When Shirley died in 2003, Melinda's siblings found letters among her personal effects which stated that dental records had proved that the New Jersey body was not Melinda's. In 2004, police re-opened Melinda's missing persons case. They are currently tracking down and interviewing her old friends to see if any of them have heard from her. They do not know why Shirley lied to her family about Melinda's supposed death. Melinda's siblings have described Shirley as an extremely abusive parent. There has been no activity on Melinda's Social Security number since 1979. Her father is now also deceased.

Melinda's case remains unsolved. Some agencies give the date of her disappearance as September 5, 1979.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Madison County Sheriff's Office
765-646-9281
OR
765-642-0221
OR
765-646-4028

Melinda Karen Creech had (has?) a missing thread here at WS. It could be old, not sure, but I'll look when I'm done posting:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11884.html

Here's an interesting post, note the "mom" Shirley's appearance.

Snipped:
reb
10-02-2006, 06:17 PM
this is also strange.. the charley project states that in 1994, shirley (the mother) informed her kids that mindy had been found dead. must be a misprint, since her brother says shirley told them the lie in '82. it also says they consider her an 'extremely abusive parent'. i also wonder why there is no mention of a father, other than his tools being in the shed.. was the father around, did they know their father? was he alive? and why was there no photo of him on mindy's website (on the family page)? the CP also says that she is of hispanic descent! wow, could've fooled me!! shirley definitely looks like she could be, maybe even part black. but the kids, and especially mindy- look completely irish to me! i wonder if there is more to this story.. is their mom really their mom? how come her kids didn't inherit her skin tone, which appears to be quite dark (maybe the photos aren't very accurate though)? if she was abusive, did that come from her rage at being abandoned by her husband/her kids' father? maybe mindy reminded her of him.
also it states that mindy had a previously fractured left arm~! i wonder if that was from abuse....????

also.. what is on the grounds on the old blake house now? is it still a youth center, or changed to something else? has the property around there been searched- are there any woods (or areas that were wooded in '79) or a pond/lake nearby?

An old Geocities site made by Melinda's siblings that are searching for her:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...geocities.ws/mindyscandle/latestFindings.html

Snipped:
After the news article and TV broadcast we received many e-mails of encouragment. Melinda's friend Robin, was able to update Mindy's list of friends for us; Joy, Janie, Candy, Randy, Sam, Trey, Mike, Brian, Brandon and Mary. That was a huge help. Robin said she still tries to stay informed and prays every day for Mindy's safe return. It was good to hear from Mindy's friends that were kind enough to e-mail us with their ideas and fears of what they thought could have happened.

Just trying to look at the shoes from a "tennis" perspective... This info could be deemed speculative but it's very interesting that 2 people with similar names to those on Jane Doe's tennis shoe are from the same area Melinda Karen Creech disappeared from. Indiana, Anderson / Noblesville area!

http://www.veromi.com/Search.aspx?s...&ln=Davies&city=&state=IN&dobmm=&dobdd=&doby=

Snipped from Veromi:
Davies, Dawn R
Possible Aka's:
DAVIES, D J
Anderson, IN
Bloomington, IN
Noblesville, IN
Available Davies, David J
Davies, Anita Bell
Neider, Sheryl A
Davies, David James
Davies, Susan J
Davies, David
Get Details...

http://www.veromi.com/Search.aspx?s...&ln=Brisco&city=&state=IN&dobmm=&dobdd=&doby=

Snipped from Veromi:
Brisco, Michael D
Possible Aka's:
BRISCO, MIKE D
BRISTE, MICHAEL D
Chatham, IL
Alexandria, IN
Indianapolis, IN
Lafayette, IN
Noblesville, IN
Maryland Heights, MO
Available
Brisco, Raymond C
Brisco, Stacy Mae
Brisco, Stacy M
Get Details...

Michael Brisco - FB link & snip:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Michael-Brisco/1335504578

Snipped:
Activities and Interests
Other
Rubix, North Elementary Library Media Center - Parent Connection, Ghost Munchers, Financial Peace University, Anderson Sports Center TENNIS

Melinda Creech went missing from Anderson, IN.

Could this Jane Doe be Melinda? If not, could she have known Melinda or maybe is missing from the same area? Did Melinda play tennis? If not, was she friends with somebody that did play tennis? Melinda was a run away, had an abusive mother, was in a juv det ctr, so maybe somebody she knew felt sorry for her & gave her some of their clothes to escape or runaway and go unnoticed...maybe that person played tennis.

Again, from our Jane Doe:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/61ufla.html

Snipped:
Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 16 - 21 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"- 5'6"; 125-140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Native. Medium build. Straight, shoulder length, blonde hair; her eye color is unknown.
Clothing: Blue jeans, long sleeve, white shirt with small stripes of pink, blue and yellow. A long-sleeved, button-up, beige sweater with a hood, Evonne Goolagong tennis shoes. On the sides of the shoes were written the names "Michael Brisco, David; Resha and D. Davies". White athletic socks with blue and yellow stripes. Men's white briefs; a white bra. She also had a leather belt with a large Buffalo head belt buckle.
Dentals: Available. Braces on teeth.

An old Geocities site made by Melinda's siblings that are searching for her:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...geocities.ws/mindyscandle/latestFindings.html

Snipped:
After the news article and TV broadcast we received many e-mails of encouragment. Melinda's friend Robin, was able to update Mindy's list of friends for us; Joy, Janie, Candy, Randy, Sam, Trey, Mike, Brian, Brandon and Mary. That was a huge help. Robin said she still tries to stay informed and prays every day for Mindy's safe return. It was good to hear from Mindy's friends that were kind enough to e-mail us with their ideas and fears of what they thought could have happened.

Wow, most of these names are found on Michael Brisco's friends list! Remember, Mike Brisco is a name Jane Doe's tennis shoe! Here's the link but you need to login to FB:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1335504578&sk=friends&v=friends

Central Christian Church helps out several outreach programs in various states. They helped with the old Blake House for Girls in Anderson, IN as well as others juvenile detention centers. Bossier has a youth detention center & Central Christian Church has popped up with Bossier Det Ctr when adding it to the google search. Melinda Karen Creech ran away from Anderson, IN bc she had just stolen a motorcycle & was going back to The Blake House for Girls. A cop was said to have picked her up or something & taken her to Blake House, however Melinda's little brother remembers her running away down the street from their house. She was an abuse child, all the kids were. The mother Shirley lied to Melinda's siblings about her remains being identified in NJ or NY. The names on Jane Doe's tennis shoe matches names from IN, specifically the Anderson, Alexandria & Noblesville area. The Blake House is said to have been closed maybe?

I think there's some kind of link. Even if this Jane Doe isn't Melinda Creech, then who did she get the tennis shoes from and how come her profile for missing fits with the names on those shoes?

Maybe it's a coincidence.

Let me see the distance from Bossier Youth Detention Center compared to where she was found. Melinda disappeared earlier and it's not listed if she had braces or not, however once in state custody the govt would pay for them, so she really could have had braces.

I do think there’s some resemblance between the LA Jane Doe and Melinda Creech, but to me, the details don’t match up entirely.

Melinda is described as being 14, 5’3 and 110 lbs.

The Jane Doe is estimated to be between 16-21, and approximately 5’5-5’6.

Melinda had a previous fracture of her left arm. There’s no such injury mentioned for the LA Jane Doe. I’m not sure if that means that there were no fractures or other previous injuries that can be seen, or if it could have been left out.

I do think there’s some resemblance between the LA Jane Doe and Melinda Creech, but to me, the details don’t match up entirely.

Melinda is described as being 14, 5’3 and 110 lbs.

The Jane Doe is estimated to be between 16-21, and approximately 5’5-5’6.

Melinda had a previous fracture of her left arm. There’s no such injury mentioned for the LA Jane Doe. I’m not sure if that means that there were no fractures or other previous injuries that can be seen, or if it could have been left out.

Hi!

There were 3 birthdates given at various times. Melinda's mom gave erroneous info to Melinda's siblings. There's still no reason why. It is suspicious.

I have no idea if Jane Doe is Melinda but there is a Juvenile Detention Center in Bossier. If this isn't Melinda, maybe Melinda knew this person bc those shoes & the names link back to Anderson & Nobleville Indiana. When I looked at Mike's Facebook friends, he has alot of the names that were given as Melinda's friends.

Could Melinda have gone to Texas or Louisiana? Central Christian Church supports several outreach centers & you homes/detention centers. They encompass several states, make a big positive impact. When Melinda disappeared, could she have been sent to another facility & her mother (Shirley) kept it a secret? Could she have gone to Louisiana or Texas? The link below with the office manager maybe could help us piece something together. I'm supplying this to be thorough. It looks like Cheryl took that position way after Melinda disappeared but she may be able to give us the history behind some things. I would really like to know if the Jane Doe in Bossier LA 1981 could be Melinda. If not, why does she have Goolagona shoes on with some peoples names from Anderson or Nobleville written on them? One of the names is Mike Brisco & he's a member of the Anderson Tennis Club or something like that. There is also a D. Davies - could that be Dawn Davies? When I looked at Michael's Facebook friend's list, I see several names that were supplied as Melinda's friends. Could it be that this Jane Doe is her or could she have known her?

http://www.central-christian-church.com/the_staff.htm

the_st14.jpg

Snipped:
Cheryl was born into a Disciples of Christ family and, beginning with her great-grandparents, they were members of Central Christian**Cheryl holds*life licenses to direct child care centers in Texas, Washington, and Indiana and has done so.* In Anderson she*worked for Madison Superior Court 2, Director of Bronnenberg Home, and Director of Support Services where she supervised the Children's Home, Blake House for Girls, Boys Residential Unit, Juvenile Detention Center, Counseling Services, Alternative Education Center, and educational, medical, and food service contracts.* Cheryl continued her work in the area of child abuse and neglect as Director of Court Improvement for the State Supreme Court of Wisconsin.* For the past few years, she has been a volunteer for several teams of Central Christian and is delighted to be a part of the office staff.*

Hi!

There were 3 birthdates given at various times. Melinda's mom gave erroneous info to Melinda's siblings. There's still no reason why. It is suspicious.

I have no idea if Jane Doe is Melinda but there is a Juvenile Detention Center in Bossier. If this isn't Melinda, maybe Melinda knew this person bc those shoes & the names link back to Anderson & Nobleville Indiana. When I looked at Mike's Facebook friends, he has alot of the names that were given as Melinda's friends.

Also, don't forget... Melinda disappeared Sept 1979. Jane Doe was found Jan 1981 with the body only being there upwards of 6 or so weeks. Definitely enough time to grow an inch or two.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back