LA LA - Dorothy Yates-McCathran, 40, left purse, ID & food cooking, Vivian, 21 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is the first I'm reading of this. I grew up to about an hour to an hour and a half east of there, but haven't lived in the area for years. I'd really like to know if the sheriff found the person who left the info at the local business.
Good question. I have been trying to find this out, but NO one is talking. It’s so strange because normally, in our small town, people love to gossip.

And I’m so disappointed in the lack of interest it seems.
MOO

Good question. I have been trying to find this out, but NO one is talking. It’s so strange because normally, in our small town, people love to gossip.

And I’m so disappointed in the lack of interest it seems.
MOO

I was hoping you may have known!
I feel like this case has halted suddenly. It would be helpful (IMO) if LE were able to get in touch with that person & the info they had were actually related to the case....possibly provide a new lead of some sort.

Find Dorothy Yates-McCathran

Sadly, unable to find any updates
Yes very sad so quiet & no publicity. Even if locals in a small town fear speaking up, the sheriff’s office should be pushing. I noticed Dottie’s sister made an Aug 25th post to raise GF reward funds to be distributed anonymously through CrimeStoppers Shreveport. Family clearly believes she is deceased; they are seeking recovery and an arrest. Dottie’s been missing Jan 21. So sad. I wonder if those who knew her could tell us more about her life & personality. Did she go on daily walks or jogs? Was she active in local clubs, church or PTA? Is it possible she witnessed something she shouldn’t have seen? Jmo

Dorothy doesn't have a sister, so I think you might be possibly talking about me. I'm her sister-in-law. Yes, our family has started a Go Fund Me.
Welcome to the group. Judge Joe above asks some questions about her life, that would be helpful in trying to piece together what may have happened to her. I hope we can get the spotlight back on her case.

wow, so her husband's sister commented once, and they have a gofunme site. I have so many questions but she hasn't been on since.
Seems very strange when a family sets up a fund but they aren't pleading? Where is her husband???

wow, so her husband's sister commented once, and they have a gofunme site. I have so many questions but she hasn't been on since.
Seems very strange when a family sets up a fund but they aren't pleading? Where is her husband???
That’s a great question about the husband. As far as I know... crickets. :(

However, just yesterday I was in a local restaurant picking up food and noticed a new missing poster of her behind the counter. There is a reward now for $20,000 for finding her and it mentioned an arrest? It was interesting the way it was worded, and it made me think the family believes foul play. I should have taken a picture, but I didn’t bring in my phone. I will try to go back this week and get a picture of it!

I feel so sad for her family. I hope they get some information soon.

That’s a great question about the husband. As far as I know... crickets. :(

However, just yesterday I was in a local restaurant picking up food and noticed a new missing poster of her behind the counter. There is a reward now for $20,000 for finding her and it mentioned an arrest? It was interesting the way it was worded, and it made me think the family believes foul play. I should have taken a picture, but I didn’t bring in my phone. I will try to go back this week and get a picture of it!

I feel so sad for her family. I hope they get some information soon.

@Gigi3
Did it look like this by any chance?
upload_2020-9-27_20-22-55.jpeg

Find Dorothy Yates-McCathran

YES!! That’s the one I saw. It caught my attention because this is the only place that I have seen this flyer around town.

I wonder if the others have been disappearing like before? This one was posted right behind the register, so you couldn’t actually take it down without someone seeing you remove it. I’ll try to check on any information about missing flyers this week!

YES!! That’s the one I saw. It caught my attention because this is the only place that I have seen this flyer around town.

I wonder if the others have been disappearing like before? This one was posted right behind the register, so you couldn’t actually take it down without someone seeing you remove it. I’ll try to check on any information about missing flyers this week!

It may be possible that these new flyers haven’t been put up as much; it looks like it’s fairly new...by looking at the “find” page, it appears the $20k was just recently raised about a couple weeks ago.

Mother of missing Vivian woman is asking public to help find her daughter | ArkLaTexHomepage

Oct 19
“It’s been almost ten months, and I never would have thought we would be at this point still looking for her and have not found her,” said Martha Mullins, the mother of 41-year old Dorothy Yates-McCathran.

*video interview with DYM’s mother included
This is so sad. I sure hope they can find her.

From the article:

The Caddo Parish Sheriff’s Office has conducted multiple searches in Vivian for Dorothy using K-9 search rescue teams and a drone unit.

“They’ve basically said they don’t know any more now than they did the day she disappeared,” said Mullins.

:(

OCT 15, 2020
Missing Vivian woman's family spends her birthday in search of answers
The family of a Vivian woman missing for nearly nine months is still searching for answers -- and hope -- on what would be her 41st birthday.

[...]

Investigators say McCathran's husband returned home to find her missing.

"She was cooking dinner," MM says. "There's food on the stove where she was cutting up okra and cooking okra. And then when her husband got home she was gone. Her purse was there. Her driver's license, everything. And she was missing."

Her vehicle was disabled. It's believed she either walked away or was picked up. Though MM says a search of the five acre property near Vivian's airport, where the couple lived, did turn up some of her belongings.

"They found some jewelry and they found a hat and a scarf in the woods. But that's all that was found," MM says.

She says she talked to her daughter on the phone the day before she disappeared. MM says McCathran was upset about not being able to come to Shreveport to see her daughter on her sixth birthday.

"She cried some on the phone," MM says. "But then she settled down and got excited about coming for the birthday party (the following Saturday.) And she was going to come do a camp with [minor's name redacted] that next morning. She was very excited. And then the next day she's gone."

[...]

"She was cooking dinner," MM says. "There's food on the stove where she was cutting up okra and cooking okra. And then when her husband got home she was gone. Her purse was there. Her driver's license, everything. And she was missing."

Her vehicle was disabled.
It's believed she either walked away or was picked up. Though MM says a search of the five acre property near Vivian's airport, where the couple lived, did turn up some of her belongings.

"They found some jewelry and they found a hat and a scarf in the woods. But that's all that was found," MM says.

She says she talked to her daughter on the phone the day before she disappeared. MM says McCathran was upset about not being able to come to Shreveport to see her daughter on her sixth birthday.
[...]

Purple BBM for emphasis.

A couple things bother me about the supposed circumstances of her disappearance:

-- So she was in the middle of cooking dinner and decided to walk out the door without any money, ID, etc... and in the woods a short distance from her house she discard her jewelry, HAT AND SCARF? I don't think she was wearing a hat and scarf to cook. This is either a feeble attempt at a misdirect OR the trappings of a child playing dress-up in Mom's clothes (I'm open-minded - Could've been the son or daughter). BTW - Does her son live at the residence she disappeared from?
-- Her car was disabled. What does that mean exactly. Flat tire? Battery dead? I'm assuming the husband's vehicle was working just fine since he "went into town" for whatever reason while she was home making dinner. He "went into town"... not "went to work" which implies that he was free to non-essential things at his leisure. He assumed somebody came to pick her up... So her having to find a ride in order to do things was not unusual. How long had her vehicle been "disabled"? That brings me directly to...
-- Shreveport is only about a 45min drive from Vivian.... but somehow she and her husband couldn't work out a way for her to see her daughter AT SOME POINT ON HER DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY? Unless he was driving a company fleet vehicle or her license was suspended - I can't imagine any good reason for there to not be a way to accommodate.
The 2 most obvious possibilities:
1) Drop husband off --> Go on BDay visit --> Pick husband up after work. Even simpler...
2) Go on BDay visit before/after he goes to work (depending on what time of day his shift was).
I could be way out of line... but I'm not getting the impression this impasse was a one-off (He's usually very accommodating... Not easy but making one vehicle work while trying to get hers fixed so she's not stuck at the house).

Purple BBM for emphasis.

A couple things bother me about the supposed circumstances of her disappearance:

-- So she was in the middle of cooking dinner and decided to walk out the door without any money, ID, etc... and in the woods a short distance from her house she discard her jewelry, HAT AND SCARF? I don't think she was wearing a hat and scarf to cook. This is either a feeble attempt at a misdirect OR the trappings of a child playing dress-up in Mom's clothes (I'm open-minded - Could've been the son or daughter). BTW - Does her son live at the residence she disappeared from?
-- Her car was disabled. What does that mean exactly. Flat tire? Battery dead? I'm assuming the husband's vehicle was working just fine since he "went into town" for whatever reason while she was home making dinner. He "went into town"... not "went to work" which implies that he was free to non-essential things at his leisure. He assumed somebody came to pick her up... So her having to find a ride in order to do things was not unusual. How long had her vehicle been "disabled"? That brings me directly to...
-- Shreveport is only about a 45min drive from Vivian.... but somehow she and her husband couldn't work out a way for her to see her daughter AT SOME POINT ON HER DAUGHTER'S BIRTHDAY? Unless he was driving a company fleet vehicle or her license was suspended - I can't imagine any good reason for there to not be a way to accommodate.
The 2 most obvious possibilities:
1) Drop husband off --> Go on BDay visit --> Pick husband up after work. Even simpler...
2) Go on BDay visit before/after he goes to work (depending on what time of day his shift was).
I could be way out of line... but I'm not getting the impression this impasse was a one-off (He's usually very accommodating... Not easy but making one vehicle work while trying to get hers fixed so she's not stuck at the house).
At this point, there is nothing at all that leads me to believe that she decided to walk out the door.

I'm also not aware that the jewelry, hat, and scarf found in the woods was determined to be Dottie's. If it is, it seems more likely to me that she put the hat and scarf on prior to leaving the house (vs. cooking with them on). It was January, after all.

However, I tend to think that she didn't leave the house willingly. MOO

@Gigi3, any news?

I just found this thread, and my heart goes out to Dorothy's family and particularly her parents and children.

Somehow I'm not understanding why she couldn't attend her daughter's birthday, if someone can clarify?

Was law enforcement able to really search her house for evidence?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back