LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My first look at her path:

But one thing folks.... I wonder if she possibly went toward Mel's Diner to get a ride home from friends?

Mel's Diner at 2956 Johnston St. is THE hot spot for young kids late at night who get hungry coming back from the bars. Rowdy - packed - fun - everyone's drunk - open all night.

Maybe her friends were still there? Maybe she made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go there and never made it?

But still -- even if she was.... she wouldn't cut to Johnston to get there. That would take her out of her way and leave her a long dangerous ride on Johnston. It still makes the most sense to me for her to stay on St. Landry heading toward the Cajundome.

Now, assuming she WAS heading home, and not somewhere else, looking at it for the first time, I see no reason at all for her to get off St. Landry until she hit Coliseum Rd. In my opinion, there's nothing THAT wrong with St. Landry, though an empty hospital seems to spook some folks. Take a right on Coliseum Rd. and a quick left between those two big barns just north of Blackham Coliseum. As a biker, that would be my preferred cutover, then get right on that nice long bike path paralleling Cajundome Blvd. - up to Congress.

Would she have cut between those two barns? Who knows. it's the shortest route over to the Cajundome bike path.

NOW - she loved horses. Blackhan Coliseum has a lot of livestock shows, I think horse shows maybe? Would she know about those barns and the path between them, given her great love of and involvement with horses? I think the answer is yes.

She may have been taking that shortcut many times, because she knew where the barns are and knew it was there.

So.... was there anyone hanging around Blackham Coliseum - like a night watchman, who saw several times over a month or two, a little blonde girl on her bike alone at night, on a hidden little path between two big barns?

But that comes down to my question again: what was the address of the last security camera that saw her? I wish I knew.

All that said, though, I see an alternative to continuing on St. Landry. She could have turned right into the neighborhood to the north of St. Landry -up St. Mary or other street like St. Thomas. But I don't get the feeling she did. St. Landry gives you direct access to nice, long, open, car-free, biker-friendly stretches without trees - near Blackham Coliseum and the Cajundome.

I would think she would have intended to make a beeline down St. Landry to get to the arena areas, then headed north through their grounds to Congress.

If you make me choose Congress or Johnston to bike that last stretch between the Cajundome and my home near Ambassador Caffery, I take Congress every time. Johnston is a nightmare. Curvy, wild drivers, internittent, badly buckled, unsafe sidewalks if they're there at all, and a narrow joke of a bike lane that stops and starts and only gets you run over at night.

Until someone can show me some other reason why she would have turned aside, I don't believe she intended to turn off of St. Landry until it dead-ended at Blackham Coliseum.

this is just MO-But I would be scared to death riding that far at 2 am-I would take the shortest route-if not going to TB-why would she go that way?The person who posted the TB-Jefferson- theory is on to something-where was she going??

Knock off the talk about a forum for Mickey. This thread is about Mickey not a forum for her.

I will let Admin know about your REQUEST for a forum.

Thank you

Ima

What is this Svengali-like hold that white trucks have over the men of Lafayette that makes them think of purchasing nothing else but these white trucks? They aren't attractive in any way. The vast majority have never carried more than a potted plant in the bed, gone more off road than a gravel parking lot, or ever hauled anything.

Don't tell my hubs this. He has a white F350 dually and it totes a 15,000 lb fifthwheel. The white ones match the campers best. MOO

Man, the dog and I go to Fiesta Mart for Mountain Dew, and anarchy breaks out. Settle down, folks. Respect one another. Contact a mod if you have a question or concern.

If this kind of stuff keeps up, the mods (rightly) will close the thread for review, and then that'll cease conversation about this important topic entirely. Get a grip.

That would suck.

Mt Dew will kill you. Who will create new threads?

Thats not a street. Its a big parking lot

The trucks are driving in a big parking lot? The ones we've seen going that way and this way? It looks to be a corner near that gas station.

chicken fried--

She was last spotted in front of circle k on the corner of St. Landry and University. She didn't appear at 224 St. Landry on their camera (according to press release saying no additional footage had been found).

I don't imagine her going to Mel's because she had eaten quickly at BW's and was heading home--she had to be at her brother's graduation in 9.5 hrs.

I hope LE comes up with some answers soon, though!

Edit to add: I don't think she would have gotten off St. Landry either--her normal path was go to down St. Landry to Coliseum and hop on the bike path. I'd love to know why she detoured.

What is this Svengali-like hold that white trucks have over the men of Lafayette that makes them think of purchasing nothing else but these white trucks? They aren't attractive in any way. The vast majority have never carried more than a potted plant in the bed, gone more off road than a gravel parking lot, or ever hauled anything.

This is an oil area. I am sure many of them are company or leased vehicles. That is they way it is where I am, and I am also in oil country.

The trucks are drive in a big parking lot? The ones we've seen going that way and this way? It looks to be a corner near that gas station.

They asked what street she is waiting to cross. She isn't crossing any street. She is on St. Landry crossing a big parking lot that is just to the right of her

Grew up in Louisiana...currently live in Houston. White is the color of choice for custruction and oil and gas peeps because like Artis said, it is hot here and because they show fewer scratches and such than darker cars. With that said...I have to trust that law enforcement and the FBI have better photo evaluating systems than my PC so I am just going to take their word that its a Z71. Now, there's your start...all Oil/Gas and construction companies that lease with Chevy.

I agree that white trucks, especially Chevy's, are commonly leased fleet vehicles here. But I'm not sure that a Z71 would necessarily be a work truck. This is an upgraded package in addition to the base model, that doesn't seem to have any added benefits to the type of use it'd see in the gas/oil industry to justify a company paying for the higher priced package. My brother works in the oilfield and he gets a new white Chevy truck every 2 years, but not a Z71. I think this is a personal vehicle. I could be wrong, just my opinion. My theory is that the perp had a gun and forced her to put her bike in the bed of the truck and get in the vehicle. I don't think she'd have gone willingly with a stranger, accident or not. She'd just left a group of friends that most likely were still awake and out on the town or maybe just getting home. If she was safety concious enough to carry mace, I think she'd call a friend before she'd accept a ride from a stranger. Could be the same truck seen in the shadows in the video still from Versailles following her since then. Of course that could've been another random white truck on Versailles or not even a white truck at all, hard to tell in the shadows.

Is it the type of big parking lot where long-haul truckers might park for the night or park their cabs for the night?

They do this in large parking lots around here (i.e. the mall parking lot).

If a trucker IS the perp, I could see this case being related to others.

My first look at her path:

But one thing folks.... I wonder if she possibly went toward Mel's Diner to get a ride home from friends?

Mel's Diner at 2956 Johnston St. is THE hot spot for young kids late at night who get hungry coming back from the bars. Rowdy - packed - fun - everyone's drunk - open all night.

Maybe her friends were still there? Maybe she made a spur-of-the-moment decision to go there and never made .

~respectfully snipped~

Family & friends should know if she hung out there. Good point.

chicken fried--

She was last spotted in front of circle k on the corner of St. Landry and University. She didn't appear at 224 St. Landry on their camera (according to press release saying no additional footage had been found).

I don't imagine her going to Mel's because she had eaten quickly at BW's and was heading home--she had to be at her brother's graduation in 9.5 hrs.

I hope LE comes up with some answers soon, though!

Edit to add: I don't think she would have gotten off St. Landry either--her normal path was go to down St. Landry to Coliseum and hop on the bike path. I'd love to know why she detoured.

I have to agree that my first thought once I knew she was possibly heading the Johnston st route was that she was going to stop at Mel's to see whichever friends said they were going there.

But that comes down to my question again: what was the address of the last security camera that saw her? I wish I knew.

Until someone can show me some other reason why she would have turned aside, I don't believe she intended to turn off of St. Landry until it dead-ended at Blackham Coliseum.

The last camera that saw her was at the corner of University and Landry by the gas station. The next camera was at 224 Landry, but she never went by that camera. Brashear is the only street between the cameras. So she either got hit between the cameras (not likely) or headed down Brashear and got hit down in that area.

Bumps her bike, gets out of the car with the pretense of checking on her...while she's got her guard down/shaken up/etc. he pulls a weapon...I could see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3