LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps this "secondary search" is simply a last-ditch effort ahead of the impending rainstorm?

I think something that non-locals need to realize is that our newscaster/reporters are just not accustomed to something this high profile. They will word things incorrectly and are nervous and all that.
Agree totally. Totally agree. I agree. Can you tell?

if anyone wants a link to the live scanner feed of the Lafayette PD, Sherrif, and Fire here it is:

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=cwp&ctid=1136

i doubt they would be discussing anything relevant to the case, but its a good listen
I haven't heard anything relevant to MS in the past hour that I've been listening. But, for those interested, we do have an open thread in the scanner forum where members can post and discuss scanner transmissions.

NOTE: scanner talk stays in the scanner forum. We don't discuss scanner transmissions in the main forum.

Mickey Shunick Scanner Thread

I'm starting to get confused. The rules are not so clear-cut in our new media age.

Are we determining that because one of the prominent local news broadcasters is putting an announcement on their social media page, we can't report it the same as if it were on TV?

What are we going to do when the whole world goes onto Facebook, and all news reporting is then banned, and then this blog has no information to discuss?

I'm just being rhetorical,so please take it in the spirit of discussion, not defiance, but I can see where Facebook is upsetting a lot of traditions. I also see how a lot of NEWS reporting is going onto Facebook. The reporters need to remember that not everyone belongs to Facebook, and when they start making news available only on Facebook then they are abandoning significant portions of the populace to ignorance of the goings-on.
I think it was Shimon Perez in Israel recently who said that there was no 'true freedom in this world' until facebook. And that is why he joined. I personally think that is why everyone should join; although I know many people who are not on any social networking sites yet.

In the Celina Cass case, it took quite a long time for them to bring the body to the surface. They do not want to disrupt any potential evidence when they bring a body to the surface. So, if they are searching for a body, you might as well go to bed.

I think a backpack is a good guess. But I'm not sure it would float. Some types of shoes might float. Did she have a basket on the bike that might float?

The pics I've seen of her and the bike didn't show a basket.

Man, I just got a detailed lesson on dive lights and I'm not sure I retained any of it :/ something about how if it's basic police scuba search teams they are using hand held lights. In the Atchafalaya basin with excellent visibility they will only see about an arms length in front of them. Searching with a light is especially difficult in that water because it reflects off the "murk" . He said its much more of a feel than look thing. Something something something...and he's still talking... Hope that helped somewhat?

My brother works in PA and when people ask what kind of work does he do I answer just like that: Something with the something something.

Man, I just got a detailed lesson on dive lights and I'm not sure I retained any of it :/ something about how if it's basic police scuba search teams they are using hand held lights. In the Atchafalaya basin with excellent visibility they will only see about an arms length in front of them. Searching with a light is especially difficult in that water because it reflects off the "murk" . He said its much more of a feel than look thing. Something something something...and he's still talking... Hope that helped somewhat?

Thanks for taking one for the team :biggrin:

Tell your hubby you will give him a detailed explanation of how to apply make-up!

I'm thinking confession or someone who knows the perp told the LE to go back to Whiskey Bay. Moo

That has been the rumor all evening. A confession. MOO- a confession would send LE back out at night to search for MICKEY, not a backpack.
Still unconfirmed that divers are out there. I think that is extremely risky to send divers into the notoriously strong Atchafalaya at 10pm. It's so dark out there. The water is so murky. Alligators hunt at night (though they are probably scared off by the activity).

If you exit the thread and reload the page and then reenter the thread, it should take you back to your spot.
*Should* LOL

Ah thanks! I've been refreshing and scrolling for so many hours now lol! That makes it a lot easier!

I think something that non-locals need to realize is that our newscaster/reporters are just not accustomed to something this high profile. They will word things incorrectly and are nervous and all that.

C'mon now. They will say that no matter if it's not high profile! LOL you know dat's da troof!

That's the long and short of it, re: diving in the basin. Lots of silt (sediment) in the water, which reflects light back into the direction of the source (and, thus, into the eyes of the diver). The arms length reference above is spot-on -- in the area in question (Whiskey Bay), there's lots of churn due to boat traffic and river current, and thus, very murky/muddy water.

Via KATC tweet, Jim Hummel will be live from the scene again, coming up here in just a little jiffy.

"execute a secondary search for Mickey because potential evidence is still there"
That's from the KLFY news page. (http://www.klfy.com/story/18570540/missing-mickey-shunick)

Why would they word it that way? a secondary search for Mickey...this is only my second post, not sure if I'm allowed to quote that or what...please let me know!

A "secondary search" is a more thorough and meticulous search of an established crime scene, after evidence indicates that the scene has a good chance of providing more information. This can be triggered, as it seems to have been tonight, by new evidence coming to light.

The current is strong in the basin and he Atchafalaya is deep in a lot of parts. Of course, they could be in the swamp and or the bay and not on the river itself. Still seems darn near impossible to send divers out at this time.

If you non-locals have doubt on this, I'm sure we can find some old newscasts and newspapers to prove this fact. Some of the blunders and typos I've seen have been appalling! But...as many have said before me, Lafayette has still got that small town mentality even though it's grown out of that small town status and into big town problems, and the news outlets reflect that!

I know it's been said, but I can't imagine what would bring them out in the dark to search like this unless it was something serious. I so hope that I'm wrong, and that this is something much more benign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member