LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm: jmhoo but those pictures were so grainy and difficult to make out it is almost impossible to see what she was gazing at or what direction she was gazing in.

:moo:

Agreed. Plus, think about riding a bike. You are riding, looking ahead and you might turn your head for different reasons; a noise to the left, a light to the right. This is just a still shot that captured her at one second, we have no idea where she was looking just before or just after. This is just ONE second in time.

Now that a poster has mentioned getting stuck in a track and having bike wheel bent and tire dislodged, I believe we could have this scenario and am presenting it for pondering:

Could MS have ridden further up st mary (how far could she have gotten with evidence?) and in the dark ended up in bad sidewalk cracks (like johnston street - azalea and st mary - even congress sidewalks) and she messed up her own bike? Then a vehicle, not necessarily DWTIQ, came to her aid and things got bad from there? Maybe it was an accidental opportunity? nightmare in the 10th degree..

Yes, it is. There is a higher percentage that he is in this window.

I believe early 20's -early 30's, late 40's - 50's is far less likely.

Wow I had no idea they aren't that young on average. I would have guessed it is when they are at their fittest that they commit more crimes.

What is the explanation I wonder.

In the last known pic of MS she is hugging the right side of st landry. Brashear is very close on the left side of st landry. Bikers usually gaze in directions that they are about to go; she is gazing straight ahead. IF I had plans to go left I would have been more centrally located on St landry on that bike. Which leads me to believe that once she realized she was being followed by DWTIQ that she was very very near brashear and had not planned on taking that left. I still want to believe she went further down st landry..and am thinking she probably did. In front of a vacant funeral home with no activity and no security camera and a closed outpatient primary care medical facility across the street; not much around IMHO.

We can't see her face or eyes so to me I can't say she is actually gazing straight ahead. Yes she is in the right but to me it's entirely possible she was looking across to the left at the time, saw the cars in the circle k, made sure it was clear and maybe crossed to go down Brashear.

That is a little creepy, when you look at it.

Welcome!

Creepy indeed but the Lafayette area google maps view is at least 3 years old. I moved from Lafayette in June 2009 and the google view for my old house has my car and my fiance's car in front of it. Very nostalgic!

Are you pretty sure that there are two cameras pointed at the west LCG parking lot?

And it was another camera pointed at the Circle K?

Yes, certainly if the lot is covered by camera, then that changes everything. But if so, then let me ask you this -

has any reliable source specifically said that there were cameras on that side of the bulding, and that they covered the parking lot?

If they were, then either LE is sitting on it, or they were erased for some reason. I will say one thing here - Lafayette Government is very political and tight-knit. If there were a problem with the footage on those cameras, I have to say that I wouldn't eliminate the thought that may that is being withheld to prevent embarrassment to Lafayette Consolidated Government. They may be withholding that info until they feel they have to..

But that is just speculation, based upon the political intrigues that Lafayette is famous for. Some really hard inside baseball goes on here. . I really would like to know if you have the time/ability to link where it was said about the cameras you refer to. Because if I read you right, you're saying that one camera was pointed at Circle K, and two others at the west lot?

Chicken, I just want to add to and perhaps modify some of what you've been theorizing about regarding the LCG west parking lot and a possible route for Mickey through Azalea Street out the back of that lot. Since I live right here in this neighborhood and am often heading out for errands after dark because of my schedule, I've seen the roads around here in just about every shade of light and dark.

First, I too have been wondering about cameras in that lot. I'm actually getting ready to head over there to turn in a utility bill, and it I have a chance I'm going to park in the lot for a bit and see if I can't spot any cameras. IF there are cameras there and IF LCG somehow managed to erase them or they weren't on...wow, if that ever came out it would cause a ****storm beyond belief.

Second, I'd like to note that, if Mickey took that shortcut to Azalea, even if the white truck (possible perp) kept going down St. Landry and shows up on that camera at 224 or at the funeral home (wish we knew if it was recording at the time -- it's pointed right at the road), in my mind it would not in any way discount the possibility of that truck being involved.

The fact is, if the person in that truck, or anyone else for that matter, had local knowledge of these streets, he could have easily realized the shortcut Mickey was taking and known that he could zip down the street, hang a right on St. Mary, and then effectively cut her off just as she reached the intersection of St. Mary and Azalea.

In my opinion, this would have been a prime opportunity for an abduction point. At that time of night, it would have been very, very dark at that intersection, and the perp could have easily pulled all the way out of the St. Mary roadway, blocking Azalea, and even if another car came up or down St. Mary not too far behind it's entirely possible they wouldn't have noticed a thing.

If your theory about her route is correct (and I tend to think it very likely is), then aside from the LCG lot this is the only place in this neighborhood where I can fathom such an incident taking place without attention being drawn. Just as you mentioned before about Brashear Street, this section of the Saint Streets area is very old, the houses are built up right on the road. Also, St. Mary and Souvenir Gate are reasonably well-lit for residential roads...unless (though I would think this unlikely) she did manage to get as far as the Cajundome area -- there is a stretch of Souvenir just before that point that is very, very dark. I jog through that area sometimes after dark, and it even gives me, a reasonably gruff 32 year-old male, the heebie-jeebies.

So, I guess I would lean toward two points to focus on -- the parking lot and the Azalea-St. Mary intersection. I have a hard time believing any type of pursuit could have snaked through the neighborhood without drawing attention, especially considering that, with all the different possible routes, an experienced bicyclist might have stood a pretty decent chance of losing a pursuer.

There is no 'parking lot' at that funeral home. There is a wide circular driveway in 'front' which would be facing the same direction as MS is looking. I forget the name of the street that is the front of the funeral home. But there is no parking lot to it. I have been to funerals ther and I have to park on a side street. everyone has to exceptthe vehicles in the funeral procession; they line up in the circle in front.
I've been to several funerals there and we always parked in their parking lot so yes ... they do have one.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/05/st_tammany_authorities_to_disc.html

how far away driving-wise is the MS case as compared to where this woman was found? i was looking for info on the missing picayune girl someone mentioned when i came across this lady.

edit : nvm, it appears they arrested someone already

I hadn't heard they arrested anyone? Will have to check it out. Yesterday, maybe day before, I was looking at a local news channel's FB and someone posted that her niece in Florida was missing. Being that we had the bike dumped at Whiskey Bay, I wondered if the perp could now be in Florida. But, as it turned out the girl was a runaway, and had left a note.

You could be on to something there. We've stuck pretty closely to the assumption of a straight hit from behind when we've been assessing the damage to the back wheel happening when getting hit. Maybe they clipped it from the side and sent her tumbling.

I still think the accidental hit and cover is a very viable possibility. People do crazy, extreme things when they feel like they've got a lot, or everything to lose. I have a tendency to be a bit of a "optimistic realist" (hard to describe it that way given the situation) though, so that's definitely influencing my theory.

Agree, and if it were a DUI going through a stop sign, may not have headlights on!

Wow I had no idea they aren't that young on average. I would have guessed it is when they are at their fittest that they commit more crimes.

What is the explanation I wonder.

They may be more fit, I agree.

But the psychological/mental "fitness" usually isn't there. Like they think about it, but they just can't bring themselves to do it.

There is no 'parking lot' at that funeral home. There is a wide circular driveway in 'front' which would be facing the same direction as MS is looking. I forget the name of the street that is the front of the funeral home. But there is no parking lot to it. I have been to funerals ther and I have to park on a side street. everyone has to exceptthe vehicles in the funeral procession; they line up in the circle in front.

The parking lot is directly adjacent to the FH, to the east., adn behind it, to the north. It's not technically the FH lot, but that's the lot being discussed as such. the FH is surrounded on TWO sides by parking lots..... :waitasec:

Does anyone know if Mickey biked while listening to an iPod (or such) when traffic was lite (presumably at 1-2am-ish) on the streets she knew? I haven't seen it mentioned (like from BW or CS). Was just thinking that maybe she didn't see anything suspicious, and was just pedalling along, listening to music. If so, it probably made it harder to hear sounds that mite be warning signs (vehicles approaching from behind, etc.).

Was also thinking from the "no hands" photo that she mite have been doing that and hit debris or road hazard, or front end swerved...and she was vulnerable enough from that (off her bike) to the point of someone hitting her bike (thus the damage to it) and then something awful happened since she would be a witness.

I wasn't even close to being a teenager yet when I daily rode a standard Schwinn bike. It was extremely common for me to ride "no hands", since the bike was sturdy and very well-balanced. I'd even make 90-degree turns just by leaning my body left or rite. Of course, I wasn't riding in traffic doing this, but did so even at nite (by the lite of street lites). Don't think my parents knew (LOL)...I doubt I ever told them.

You become one with the bike. Which makes me think that Mickey would have been able to lose someone following her (not via "no hands", LOL), unless an accident or some other anomaly occurred.

Another out of the box thought is that I know from personal experience that hybrid vehicles (powered by gasoline and electricity) go very quiet when they switch to electricity. A friend of mine has one, and can be at my front door knocking without me having heard them pull up. Kinda spooky...(to a WSer)...

Have no idea if the Chevy Z71 may be hybrid...or whatever vehicle not captured by surv. video may be...could apply whether accident, stalking or opportunist...

I also think the Picayune, MS case is linked to this one. A simple interstate change in Baton Rouge puts you on I-12.

Are we sure there IS a Picayune, MS case? I know it's been posted about, and I was able to find a blog mentioning an "Ashley Smith" who went missing on the 21st, but I cannot find anything else about it. Am I missing something?

Creepy indeed but the Lafayette area google maps view is at least 3 years old. I moved from Lafayette in June 2009 and the google view for my old house has my car and my fiance's car in front of it. Very nostalgic!

Even though the picture is old, do you think it is still worth LE checking the plates from google? Maybe the perp lives in the neighborhood? Just a thought.

Hoping the quiet so far today from LE/media, means they are on to something more after last night's search!

Would you say that the LCG lot cutthrough is pretty widely known and used to walkers or bikers, e.g. MS would likely have known about it, and maybe had it on her radar?

I've seen people cut through there. Yeah, she probably knew about it. I don't like that intersection at St. Mary & Azalea b/c of how fast cars pass on St. Mary at night. In fact in the beginning I always invisioned that she would have taken the route she took and then stay on St. Landry to St. Thomas to either Congress or Souviner Gate to Cajun Dome due to lighting, homes in close proximity and fewest dark pockets. That being said people just loooooove cruising through the Saint Streets on bike and foot especially during the day due to all the lush vegetation and homey feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne