LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if Mickey biked while listening to an iPod (or such) when traffic was lite (presumably at 1-2am-ish) on the streets she knew? I haven't seen it mentioned (like from BW or CS). Was just thinking that maybe she didn't see anything suspicious, and was just pedalling along, listening to music. If so, it probably made it harder to hear sounds that mite be warning signs (vehicles approaching from behind, etc.).

There was no mp3 player listed in the possible items to search the area for, and everyone racked their brain trying to think of all the things they knew would be in her backpack, so no, I wouldn't think she had one.

Does anyone know if Mickey biked while listening to an iPod (or such) when traffic was lite (presumably at 1-2am-ish) on the streets she knew? I haven't seen it mentioned (like from BW or CS). Was just thinking that maybe she didn't see anything suspicious, and was just pedalling along, listening to music. If so, it probably made it harder to hear sounds that mite be warning signs (vehicles approaching from behind, etc.).

Was also thinking from the "no hands" photo that she mite have been doing that and hit debris or road hazard, or front end swerved...and she was vulnerable enough from that (off her bike) to the point of someone hitting her bike and then something awful happened since she would be a witness.

I wasn't even close to being a teenager yet when I daily rode a standard Schwinn bike. It was extremely common for me to ride "no hands", since the bike was sturdy and very well-balanced. I'd even make 90-degree turns just by leaning my body left or rite. Of course, I wasn't riding in traffic doing this, but did so even at nite (by the lite of street lites). Don't think my parents knew (LOL)...I doubt I ever told them.

You become one with the bike. Which makes me think that Mickey would have been able to lose someone following her (not via "no hands", LOL), unless an accident or some other anomaly occurred.

Another out of the box thought is that I know from personal experience that hybrid vehicles (powered by gasoline and electricity) go very quiet when they switch to electricity. A friend of mine has one, and can be at my front door knocking without me having heard them pull up. Kinda spooky...(to a WSer)...

Have no idea if the Chevy Z71 may be hybrid...or whatever vehicle not captured by surv. video may be...could apply whether accident, stalking or opportunist...

BBM. I'm just trying to put myself in her shoes. If I were riding home alone at any time of day/night, and I felt someone may be following me...the last place I would head is home. I would go to someone's home nearest me that I knew, or a public place nearest me when I noticed something out of place.
Any chance a good friend lived in that area that she may have changed course to head to instead of home?

A previous post mentioned a guy who hit and killed someone as a result of drinking and driving a couple of years ago and he has a white truck like the one being looked for and it has damage to the front. Someone just told me the same story (rumor? Not sure..everyone has a "source") and said the guy has come forward and confessed to hitting Mickey. Supposed to be searching same area as bike...
If this surfaces and is true, I am darn tired of drunk drivers who, have previous accidents and get off and who get stopped and get off. This is such a serious problem, and something has to be done so these offenders Do NOT get away with this any longer.
It is not uncommon in Louisiana for a DUI to get swept under the rug!
Sorry for the rant!! Just time to reunite Mickey with her family.

I am a walker (I have not brought my bike to Lafayette). I would consider myself a local and I did not know you could get to the bike path through the govt building through st streets. where is it?

Shelly, take some time to study Google Earth. If you don't have it, download it. You are very involved with the threads and so it would help your mental map to study the area so that you can see what we are talking about.

I have taken the time, for your benefit and for others, to upload a couple screencaps:

Martin-Castille Funeral Home (note the FH is on the corner) - 300 St. Landry.

Lafayette Consolidated Government Building - 705 W. University Ave, but facing St. Landry.

Are we sure there IS a Picayune, MS case? I know it's been posted about, and I was able to find a blog mentioning an "Ashley Smith" who went missing on the 21st, but I cannot find anything else about it. Am I missing something?

Yes, that's the case.

She went missing two days after Mickey. The following isn't as huge, and nothing more about the case is known besides she was last seen somewhere on West Canal St. in Picayune, MS. She's 5'5, 91 lbs. I'll attach the Missing flyer.

Attachments

• 550639_10150833296828994_522408993_9613905_1110095917_n.jpg
    550639_10150833296828994_522408993_9613905_1110095917_n.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 75
Agree, and if it were a DUI going through a stop sign, may not have headlights on!

Guys, enough with these DUI hit-and-run scenarios. Though it would be easier on the heart and mind to believe Mickey was randomly hit by a stranger, consider the horror this person has put us through.

If he did accidently hit her, why take the evidence and dump it in the basin for nobody to find? Who is to say that she was dead when he did hit her? She may have had a fighting chance to survive, but it was taken away by this sick individual. This makes our suspect a MURDERER. Who is to say that his means of abducting her wasn't just to hit her with his vehicle?

Wowsah - 98 members and 113 guests aboard on a very slow (so far) news day. We welcome you to join us, guests. Always room for more!

Guys, enough with these DUI hit-and-run scenarios. Though it would be easier on the heart and mind to believe Mickey was randomly hit by a stranger, consider the horror this person has put us through.

If he did accidently hit her, why take the evidence and dump it in the basin for nobody to find? Who is to say that she was dead when he did hit her? She may have had a fighting chance to survive, but it was taken away by this sick individual. This makes our suspect a MURDERER. Who is to say that his means of abducting her wasn't just to hit her with his vehicle?

It's seems most hit and run drivers do just that. Hit and RUN before someone sees you. Not pick up the person and their bike and haul them off somewhere? MOO.

In the last known pic of MS she is hugging the right side of st landry. Brashear is very close on the left side of st landry. Bikers usually gaze in directions that they are about to go; she is gazing straight ahead. IF I had plans to go left I would have been more centrally located on St landry on that bike. Which leads me to believe that once she realized she was being followed by DWTIQ that she was very very near brashear and had not planned on taking that left. I still want to believe she went further down st landry..and am thinking she probably did. In front of a vacant funeral home with no activity and no security camera and a closed outpatient primary care medical facility across the street; not much around IMHO.

This was said upthread several times very recently. She did not appear on camera at 224 St. Landry. The numbers go up. You are repeatedly theorizing that she made it to 300 St. Landry, the funeral home, and the camera missed her. I don't know if we have confirmation that the 224 camera was continuos record - I have asked that. Peolpe have said A.C.I. said it was.

Study the maps and get real familiar with them. It really helped me :)

wondering if Mickey used hand signals every time she turned a corner? if so that may help figure out her route - especially if close to a corner and not showing a hand signal

WB exit is on Basin bridge. Yes, 975 is it. I do not think the bike was dumped in the Pilot Channel (to the west). Too hard to heave it out there, and the water is fast moving and I think with even one inflated tire it would have moved. Media said it was found under the Basin bridge. That tells me either it was thrown off the Basin bridge to the east of the boat launch, or the perp had a boat.

Last night they were likely searching the work canal to the east of the boat launch (between the I-10 twinspans) Someone posted here last night that their buddy drove past and that's where all the lights were.

Everything I have read tells me that the search is east of the boat launch, NOT in the Pilot Channel or under the Whiskey Bay bridge.
I could totally be wrong, but I re-read that post today after doing the nite owl duty last nite ;) and I think they said the lites were at the Pilot Channel. But it was 2nd-hand info (sounded valid, tho).

Yes, that's the case.

She went missing two days after Mickey. The following isn't as huge, and nothing more about the case is known besides she was last seen somewhere on West Canal St. in Picayune, MS. She's 5'5, 91 lbs. I'll attach the Missing flyer.

Thanks! Do you mind linking to where you found that? I just cannot find anything on this girl. Do you know she's still out there missing?

Great meeting you, too! What a coincidence, meeting at the Circle K.

OK, this is new info for me. Are you pretty sure that there are two cameras pointed at the west LCG parking lot?

And it was another camera pointed at the Circle K?

Yes, certainly if the lot is covered by camera, then that changes everything. But if so, then let me ask you this -

has any reliable source specifically said that there were cameras on that side of the bulding, and that they covered the parking lot?

If they were, then either LE is sitting on it, or they were erased for some reason. I will say one thing here - Lafayette Government is very political and tight-knit. If there were a problem with the footage on those cameras, I have to say that I wouldn't eliminate the thought that may that is being withheld to prevent embarrassment to Lafayette Consolidated Government. They may be withholding that info until they feel they have to..

But that is just speculation, based upon the political intrigues that Lafayette is famous for. Some really hard inside baseball goes on here. . I really would like to know if you have the time/ability to link where it was said about the cameras you refer to. Because if I read you right, you're saying that one camera was pointed at Circle K, and two others at the west lot?

I cannot point you to an article about the cameras on the side of the building. I went there however and noted these cameras:

If you are on st. Landry and looking directly at the building there are:
Three on the left hand side of the building (one of these is way in the back close to azalea).

One in the back of the building facing azalea.

At least two along the right hand side of the building, though there could be more.

Chicken, I just want to add to and perhaps modify some of what you've been theorizing about regarding the LCG west parking lot and a possible route for Mickey through Azalea Street out the back of that lot. Since I live right here in this neighborhood and am often heading out for errands after dark because of my schedule, I've seen the roads around here in just about every shade of light and dark.

First, I too have been wondering about cameras in that lot. I'm actually getting ready to head over there to turn in a utility bill, and it I have a chance I'm going to park in the lot for a bit and see if I can't spot any cameras. IF there are cameras there and IF LCG somehow managed to erase them or they weren't on...wow, if that ever came out it would cause a ****storm beyond belief.

Second, I'd like to note that, if Mickey took that shortcut to Azalea, even if the white truck (possible perp) kept going down St. Landry and shows up on that camera at 224 or at the funeral home (wish we knew if it was recording at the time -- it's pointed right at the road), in my mind it would not in any way discount the possibility of that truck being involved.

The fact is, if the person in that truck, or anyone else for that matter, had local knowledge of these streets, he could have easily realized the shortcut Mickey was taking and known that he could zip down the street, hang a right on St. Mary, and then effectively cut her off just as she reached the intersection of St. Mary and Azalea.

In my opinion, this would have been a prime opportunity for an abduction point. At that time of night, it would have been very, very dark at that intersection, and the perp could have easily pulled all the way out of the St. Mary roadway, blocking Azalea, and even if another car came up or down St. Mary not too far behind it's entirely possible they wouldn't have noticed a thing.

If your theory about her route is correct (and I tend to think it very likely is), then aside from the LCG lot this is the only place in this neighborhood where I can fathom such an incident taking place without attention being drawn. Just as you mentioned before about Brashear Street, this section of the Saint Streets area is very old, the houses are built up right on the road. Also, St. Mary and Souvenir Gate are reasonably well-lit for residential roads...unless (though I would think this unlikely) she did manage to get as far as the Cajundome area -- there is a stretch of Souvenir just before that point that is very, very dark. I jog through that area sometimes after dark, and it even gives me, a reasonably gruff 32 year-old male, the heebie-jeebies.

So, I guess I would lean toward two points to focus on -- the parking lot and the Azalea-St. Mary intersection. I have a hard time believing any type of pursuit could have snaked through the neighborhood without drawing attention, especially considering that, with all the different possible routes, an experienced bicyclist might have stood a pretty decent chance of losing a pursuer.

This is exactly, 100% what I'm saying.

In my posts last night, listing scenarios, I said the truck could have seen her go into the LCG lot and turned on St. Mary to cut her off.

This is one of my top scenarios.

You would do GREAT work, if you can report back on the cameras facing the lot, and the angles they are pointed!!!!!

I just looked at it on Google Earth. I don't think so. If she were going to go that far, just cutting through the FH parking lot takes her back the way she came - it's a total backtrack. She'd have to go over the bridge over the coulee behind the FH and then go back the way she came. I believe that any shortcut through the neighborhood would have been from the LCG parking lot.

Not saying that if she realized she were being chased, she DIDN'T duck into the FH parking lot. But that raises the same scenario I already raised... her being pursued by the truck into the neighborhood.

I think that if the truck indeed was the perp, she was abducted in the LCG parking lot or in the neighborhood behind. A.C.I. thinks more like Brashear. As he and I batted about last night, it's critical whether she knew she was being followed, #1, and #2, whether she intended to take St. Landry or the neighborhood behind the FH and LCG, or take Johnston St.

That's an open issue, though I have my stated preference.

SO, she also could have been taken after going down Brashear. That's A.C.I.'s opinion. You have mine.

As I said last night, if the truck is NOT the perp, then under A.C.I.'s theory, she was taken somewhere on a Brashear-Johnston-Cajundome Blvd-Congress ST. route.

Under my theory, if the truck was not the perp, then she was taken somewhere on an LCG-Azalea-St.Mary-Souvenir Gate-Cajundome Blvd-Congress ST. route.

If there is no photo of the white truck coming back, then it may not be the perp at all.

Again -AGAIN - the critical piece of video is whether the truck showed up on camera at 224 St. Landry - after MS did not!! Much hinges on this.
How can we find out if the truck showed up at 224 St landry? I would be beating down whoever has that video camera their offices NOW!!! seriously, how can we get this info?

A previous post mentioned a guy who hit and killed someone as a result of drinking and driving a couple of years ago and he has a white truck like the one being looked for and it has damage to the front. Someone just told me the same story (rumor? Not sure..everyone has a "source") and said the guy has come forward and confessed to hitting Mickey. Supposed to be searching same area as bike...
If this surfaces and is true, I am darn tired of drunk drivers who, have previous accidents and get off and who get stopped and get off. This is such a serious problem, and something has to be done so these offenders Do NOT get away with this any longer.
It is not uncommon in Louisiana for a DUI to get swept under the rug!
Sorry for the rant!! Just time to reunite Mickey with her family.

Although plausible in Mickey's case Bacalla1a, the indicators point to a stranger sexual predator, imo.
re: drunk drivers-this seems to also be a growing epidemic, even with MADD & in states with much tougher DUI laws & sentences.

re: rumors - I have always liked the quote: 'A rumor can travel around the world, before the truth can get its bags packed..

Thanks! Do you mind linking to where you found that? I just cannot find anything on this girl. Do you know she's still out there missing?

Yeah, there isn't much. She has a common name too, so any Google searches could result in an explosion of your hard drive. I've done everything short of calling the number and asking. I actually saw this on Facebook and the height/weight, not so much looks (although she is pretty) got to me.

I'm just guessing they hoped it would blow up like the Shunick case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129