LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where, Kat?

I'd rather not say online but it's outside of Lafayette Parish and really probably not related to MS. I just haven't heard them doing it in a while so it stood out tonight.

Good night--going to read my first James Lee Burke novel. Neon Rain.

Keep the Faith.

Good choice - one of his better ones! Once you've got the feel, go back to the beginning of the series... it'll give you an insider's view of police investigations in south Louisiana like nothing else I've ever read. Burke's a genius.

I hear you loud and clear. As noobs, we're trying to adjust to tighter moderation than we're used to on blogs, and I think the moderation is some of the best I've ever seen. Before all us noobs get the broad brush, don't forget that we had a couple posters here though putting out wild speculation nonstop nearly 'round the clock for days, getting many, many basic facts wrong, all the while repeatedly asking the rest of us to wear out our fingers by doing most of their basic research for them, and doing a good job at wearing out those fingers. After awhile, the fingers get away from the brain telling one not to start getting a little snippy with them.

Most of us noobs are trying, and adjusting, as the mods guide us toward acceptable behavior :)

This sounds about right but there's something else going on now - I can't put my finger on it. It's not good though. Try to reign 'um in - maybe the education factor you spoke of earlier is showing through. I'm sensing very thin ice and almost like when someone is taunting and you know you shouldn't take a punch but you do anyway and then all heck breaks loose.

Thank you. There was a lady in the vehicle in front of my grandaddy's and uncle's and their car actually went airborne on impact and came down on the back of the ladies car. She suffered injuries that caused permanent damages to her, but survived. She is VERY involved with MADD. I can recall for quite some years after my granddaddy's death goign to the Cortana Mall in BR at Christmas time to do their tree ceremony that MADD put on for victims.

I'm so sorry that you lost your loved ones to such an avoidable action as someone choosing to get behind a wheel drunk. Some states have gotten much more serious about it. I wish they all would.

That doesn't surprise me at all! It's sickening to even think about it. We should adopt Germany's (I think) law and have them killed by a firing squad. Please correct me if this is incorrect. Didn't take the time to look it up.

Because you asked, and because it's the second time I've seen this claim in recent days, this is incorrect. Germany does not have the death penalty. In fact, the only European country that does use capital punishment is Belarus.

That said, I do wish the U.S. enforced OWI laws more strictly. And that there were harsher penalties for drivers who cause serious injury or death simply by driving stupidly.

You'd better take the time to look it up - that's an outlandish statement you made.
Things are going downhill.

I missed this...I believe Germany doesn't have the Death Penalty, right?

*ETA, I see my question was answered right above.

Lots of catching up again. Has anyone called the tip line regarding the poster? From what I have gathered he named RM before RM's name was made public as having been questioned. That tells me one of just a few things. First, the poster knows something and LE needs to speak with him/her. Second, he/she only knows RM's background and has a beef or something with him and started pointing the finger at him for no reason other than his prior accident. Is it possible that LE questioned RM in response to his posts? Sure. But its also possible that they questioned him because of his accident and know nothing of this poster. I have no opinions whatsoever regarding RM's involvement here, but from what I have read, the poster is the person that needs to be questioned, not RM. Either he/she knows something, in which case I remind you he also referenced a location that has not been disclosed as having been searched, or they don't know anything beyond his prior accident, in which case being questioned by LE probably puts an end to those posts. Just my own two cents.

This sounds about right but there's something else going on now - I can't put my finger on it. It's not good though. Try to reign 'um in - maybe the education factor you spoke of earlier is showing through. I'm sensing very thin ice and almost like when someone is taunting and you know you shouldn't take a punch but you do anyway and then all heck breaks loose.

Well said!!!

I was headed home from the store and a Phil Collins song came on. Brought tears to my eyes thinking oif Mickey. "take me home". Please bring Mickey home that's what we are all after. Please everyone stop the pettiness. This is why I joined the forum. For Mickey and a healthy debate. God bless all of you.

Awe, that warms my heart. I don't know of anyone, besides my cousins and sisters, that call(ed) their gradfather "granddaddy."
I thought that was a southern "thang". In Tennessee we all call our Grandfathers, GrandDaddy.

Regarding RM's prior accident, I think there were multiple charges initially brought. I didn't read the facts of that accident closely, but the fact that he left the scene of the accident alone made it nearly impossible for the DA to bring OWI charges against him. Any defense attorney could poke holes in that case, asserting that RM went home and drank because of what he just did. Vehicular homicide, from what I'm gathering, may be difficult to prove as well, depending on how the reconstruction reports came back. That left the strongest case the DA had, leaving the scene-fatality, as there was no doubt he was involved in an accident, that he left the scene and that someone died. Having reached an agreement as to the plea, my guess is that there is also an agreement as to what the sentencing will be too, or at least that the DA will not seek more than "X" number of years, but it has to be approved by the Judge. At least that's how it works here.

I wouldn't throw The Independent under the bus just yet. They do a lot of good reporting that the local Gannett rag (The Advertiser) won't touch with a 10-foot pole, and really dive into things hard and don't respect the local officials when they try to obfusticate. Local officials hate them because they have busted a lot of corrupt politicians by not taking 'no' for an answer.

While not mainstream, The Independent has a pretty good ear to the ground around here. Reminds me of how the National Enquirer is breaking a lot of stories now, with the mainsgtream media tagging along.

This all brings to mind a certain incident at the Independent Parade this Mardi Gras.....

Yeah, after the way they slanted that story to make the instigator look like the "innocent" victim in that episode, I've pretty much moved them over from the "journalists" column to the "sensationalist garbage merchants" column.

The dr. who was involved was a dirtbag, to be sure. But the publisher's sister was very, very guilty and, while she didn't deserve to be assaulted, she did bring her fate upon herself.

Add that to their BS political "analysis" (always seems to lean heavily in one direction, doesn't it?), and I pretty much have no use for that paper. I don't have birds (hence no need for paper with which to line the cage), and I buy Charmin, so...

Anyway, back on topic:

I've avoided doing so thus far, but I'm going to reach out tomorrow to a couple of friends who are in LE in the region, and see if they can offer any insights.

What really makes this case a potential monster, IMO, is the south LA tendency toward gossip.... and the huge growth in social media and the transferring of physical fights to internet ones. If the perp is a media-savvy young person, and participating in Facebook discussions, he/she could cause complete chaos - not only for the investigation, but for this whole town

Lots of catching up again. Has anyone called the tip line regarding the poster? From what I have gathered he named RM before RM's name was made public as having been questioned. That tells me one of just a few things. First, the poster knows something and LE needs to speak with him/her. Second, he/she only knows RM's background and has a beef or something with him and started pointing the finger at him for no reason other than his prior accident. Is it possible that LE questioned RM in response to his posts? Sure. But its also possible that they questioned him because of his accident and know nothing of this poster. I have no opinions whatsoever regarding RM's involvement here, but from what I have read, the poster is the person that needs to be questioned, not RM. Either he/she knows something, in which case I remind you he also referenced a location that has not been disclosed as having been searched, or they don't know anything beyond his prior accident, in which case being questioned by LE probably puts an end to those posts. Just my own two cents.

From your link:

"Corporal Paul Mouton, a Lafayette Police Department spokesperson, would neither confirm nor deny that McGee was interviewed. Mouton, who sounded incensed on the phone when questioned about the report, said many people have been interviewed. No one has been identified as a suspect, he said, and no one has been arrested."

Lafayette Police Chief Jim Craft, though he offered no details, confirms a tip The Independent received that detectives investigating the disappearance of UL student Mickey Shunick have interviewed 19-year-old Rocky James Mcgee in connection with the case.
Craft directed all other questions to spokesman Paul Mouton.

Mouton might not have confirmed it, but police chief Jim Craft did.

Source: http://www.theind.com/news/10633-police-confirm-rocky-mcgee-interviewed-in-shunick-case

I can't stand the political opinion pieces. you are right - they are slanted... but I have seen some pretty good reporting on corruption from The Independent, and I think there are some good reporters there. I think what drags the paper's reputation down is actually probably the editors. But if their reporters are digging, they may hit paydirt before the Advertiser. that's how I meant my comment.

Yeah, after the way they slanted that story to make the instigator look like the "innocent" victim in that episode, I've pretty much moved them over from the "journalists" column to the "sensationalist garbage merchants" column.

The dr. who was involved was a dirtbag, to be sure. But the publisher's sister was very, very guilty and, while she didn't deserve to be assaulted, she did bring her fate upon herself.

Add that to their BS political "analysis" (always seems to lean heavily in one direction, doesn't it?), and I pretty much have no use for that paper. I don't have birds (hence no need for paper with which to line the cage), and I buy Charmin, so...

Anyway, back on topic:

I've avoided doing so thus far, but I'm going to reach out tomorrow to a couple of friends who are in LE in the region, and see if they can offer any insights.

I am wondering about something. The bike was dumped on the east bank of the Atchafalaya river at the Whiskey Bay exit. As it has been noted, it is possible to get to this area without taking the interstate. If the perp was from any area on the western side of the river, though, they would still have to cross the Atchafalaya to get to the dump site. As far as I can tell, the only possible alternatives are I-10 and US 190 bridge at Krotz Springs. Is that correct? If, so I wonder if there are any cameras around the the 190 bridge.

Anyway, back on topic:

My close family that are LE are not saying anything but seem to know something... good luck!

ETA: Just sharing my experience, not making a prediction of what you will experience :D

I have no ideas about the possible involvement of RM but I am very skeptical that this was an accident. Rear ending a bicycle at night would be unusual because directly in the path of the vehicle is the place that an object would be clearly visible. Of course, if he were drunk or not paying attention, anything is possible.

If the bicycle were hit squarely from behind, what would happen would be that the bicycle would accelerate to the speed of the vehicle while the rider would continue moving forward at the speed she was riding. Hand grips might come off in her hands. Within a fraction of a second, the front of the vehicle; probably the grill, would hit the rider in the back and probably the back of the head. The rider would then either roll up on the hood or, with a large pick-up with a high front grill, drop under the vehicle and be run over. The front bumper would probably pick up some transfer from the bike but otherwise be undamaged. The grill and/or headlights, however, would almost certainly receive some damage.
The rider would probably not suffer heavy bleeding but there would be some cuts and abrasions. There would be some blood at the scene. The bigger indication of the accident would be debris. Plastic and glass would scatter as well as contents of her knapsack and possibly articles of clothing. The bike might travel 20 to 30 feet forward. The riders injuries would include closed head injury and possibly internal bleeding which would both be life threatening but would probably not be fatal instantly. Most deaths from head injuries result from the swelling of the brain due to gradual bleeding. This can take hours or even days.

Most likely, the driver would be confronted with a seriously injured girl, a damaged bike and a certain amount of debris. If he isn't going to confront the consequences of his action and call 911 or go to the Circle K for help, just taking off, the standard Hit & Run is the obvious course of action.

The decision to collect the injured girl, the bike and all of the debris would take precious time that anyone might come along and see it. More importantly however, even if the rider were dead, the driver, who I would assume had no medical training, would not be certain. Even a drunken sociopath would understand the implication of taking a seriously injured rider and dumping her body somewhere to die: he would go from vehicular manslaughter (at worst) to First Degree Murder. Someone might take this route if they had a chance to think it all out, but on the fly? Never.

Now, he could claim he was transporting her to the hospital, but he "panicked" when she was DOA, but why would he have taken the bike as well? It will not fly, but it might be a desperate ploy at his trial.

I am quite sure this was deliberate "bump and grab" sexually motivated attack.
Somehow, I find 19 to be very young for this sort of attack. Using a vehicle as weapon seems like something someone who wasn't real confident of their physical strength might pull. I'm sure we will be finding out more soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3