LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think the PERP would have continued onto I-10 and traveled out of state to be 'caught' by the nationwide net'. I think he is a local and would have gone the local roads after dumping the bike, into the woods and swamp and who knows where from there.

PHB, like the previous poster said, even with the tires totally inflated, a bike sinks like a rock. groing up i was the one always trying new stunts in our pool and ending up having to get my parents to help me fish my bmx out of the pool :)

I think if there was a dead body at WB or the swamp 'above water' that vultures or similar circling birds would have come across it by now. Something would have been spotted in the air encircling it. For that reason, I tend to think she is deep in the woods above ground, in someone's house as a captive, or swept down the waterways.

:bud:

I go to bed at night as late as I can stand it trying to read this thread to the last possible moment. Then I wake up earlier than ever, immediately flip on the computer.....and I'm 30 pages behind already! Good grief....do people ever sleep? LOL

Concerning RM: I really don't understand the aggressive nature of the charges against him. Yes, he was drinking and driving at 17...(and trust me, I hate alcohol. I abstain completely.) But the way I see it, he was driving along and someone turned into him. He panicked and fled the scene (very stupid...but he's 17!). Now they are charging him and seeking 7 years of hard labor? Really? I'm truly sorry for the man who lost his life. Its just terrible. But if he made a traffic error (and that happens everyday) that resulted in his death, how is this RM's fault?

RM should certainly be charged with fleeing the scene...and if they have the evidence, underaged drinking and driving while impaired. But the accident wasn't his fault. I think a hit and run charge would not apply....because he wasn't the one doing the hitting. Heck, we have drivers right here in NC that have repeated offenses with DUI, they lose their license, go right back out and drive, cause accidents that result in loss of life...and they get a few years in jail. Its sad and really a tragedy. So I wonder why LE in RM's case are seeking 7 years of hard labor for a person who was a minor and made some pretty dumb mistakes, but ultimately, the accident was not his fault....

It would sink like a rock. My son used to have a habit of riding his bike off the dock and even once into the pool. And his bike had both tires inflated. Even with an aluminum bike you have the seat and chain and kick stand and gears etc.

It was no fun getting the bikes out of the water by the way. lol

mom?

:floorlaugh:

slowlybutshelley,
Mickey's bike was found right off of the interstate in an area that i think would seem really secluded if you have never spent any time in the basin. but i am kinda thinking if it was a local, growing up they would have been exposed to some of the common local outdoor activities, like boating, camping, fishing, hunting, nature walks, school field trips, etc and known that area is traveled by sportsman fairly regularly making that location not a very good hiding spot?

I think if there was a dead body at WB or the swamp 'above water' that vultures or similar circling birds would have come across it by now. Something would have been spotted in the air encircling it. For that reason, I tend to think she is deep in the woods above ground, in someone's house as a captive, or swept down the waterways.

Shelly I think she was put in the water.

can someone verify for me, which photo with the white truck has not been identified yet? i have alot of experience doing digital recon and if i can get an image of taken from the same camera at the same time of nite with no vehicles in the image i may be able to render more detail on the vehicle. the quality is not very good on any of the images i have seen on the web, but i am more than willing to try and ask some graphic artists friends to try also.

Just FYI. Once you have given your blood for HIV testing or DNA anaylsis, it is not thrown away. You are in a national database. Like it or not.

Its as far as you can go underneath the bridge. No one would see you under there at night, but yeah, can be easily found by boaters. The perp couldve just followed the road a few more miles into Sherburn. Soon as you get in there there is a closed ATV trail that is as secluded as it gets. Goes on for miles with woods and swamp on either side if the trail. Of course once in there (in a vehicle) youd have to back up about 4 miles on a 5 foot trail...in the dark. And hope not to fall in the water. Much like I did yesterday...in the rain.

But anywhere in Sherburn would've been a much better place

can someone please tell me their opinion on what "significant damage" to the rear tire would be?! Just a horribly bent rim, tire off the rim, slashed tire???? I know they are damaged fairly easy, but I have a schwinn and throw it in my trunk all the time (98 gran prix) and my rims are not bent...so i think they could take a hitting.

Also, I was wondering about the cemetery. Do they use riding lawnmowers or golf carts to maintain the land (our cemeteries are huge around here and have lots of different travelling equipment they use to maintain the places).... and are their cameras that would catch someone on these types of vehicles?!

I honestly thought I could catch up on all threads...but it's nearly impossible :-/

Another question, have they cleared friends and family or is everyone a suspect?!!? I know everyone is going down the white truck path...but we don't know how far she made it after 1:48 and MANY, MANY people knew her route...people don't always party or hang out w/ friends. Friends/fam/acquaintances of others are often randomly around!

I think it was someone she knows (or who knew her), not a random act of violence. All IMO of course :) keep up the good work and passion all!
I have been back in the cemetery on geocaches; it is very well kept up. I have never seen or heard lawnmowers and I live close enough that I would have. When I have been back there, it has always been laborers with garden tools that do the upkeep. IMHO I think these people have criminal records but are not wearing jumpsuits; either that or they are locs who live in areas behind the cemetery who do not interact with locals. I would go so far as to say these laborers have been told to NOT INTERACT with anyone who comes into the cemetery. The one or two times I have had verbal interactions with two three or four of them has led me to believe that I was crazy to initiate a conversation and go find a geocache back there. I have actually been concerned for my own safety since revealing my own face to them. I have no idea who their supervisors are, but these are people who are probably transitioning from lives of serious delinquency to tranquility with whatever stability they can find in gardening the grounds of cemeteries.

WSers,

Is this white truck same or different as the VOI?
Ven is asking us to compare these two trucks. Please give us your thoughts.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 167
  • comparison truck.jpg
    comparison truck.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 41
Yup. Absolutely.
I find it hard to believe nowadays with HIV epidemic that anyone who has given DNA (or blood at a hospital) can expect to have their DNA evidence 'thrown away'. The medical profession and I assume the legal profession are slick in these matters.

slowlybutshelley, that is not entirely true... unless the donor was a convicted fellon (arrests without conviction and/or misdomenors do not count) if a sample is taken and you are eliminated as a person of interest or charged but not found guilty, by law they have to destroy the sample and the records. you can request a sworn affidavid be submitted by all persons or agencies that had any documents or computer records verifying the disposal. if they violate that, they answer to the attorney general. now, being a victim of a past botched investigation by the corrupt lafayette city police dept. ( i was the victim and they screwed up the case, the guy that attacked me almost got off) , i seriously doubt they follow protocol. not only would keeping the records make the said agency look suspicious, but any future cases based on the illegally held records could be dissmissed possibly setting a criminal free.

now, slowlybutshelley, you may be interested to know that a few years ago louisiana did sneak a law in without most of the public being aware specifically stating that police do not need your permission or a warrant, (which are required for police to take a blood sample) to take a DNA sample of a person in custody. that means, i random LEO can take you 'into custody' for littering or whatever and take your DNA legally.

I think all WSers who are volunteering tomorrow should wear a red bandana tied around their arm for identification purposes.
Not just tomorrow, but every day they go out. Maybe if they don't have a red bandana they can go with wearing anything RED.

Just FYI. Once you have given your blood for HIV testing or DNA anaylsis, it is not thrown away. You are in a national database. Like it or not.

I think it depends on the kind of DNA testing that is done.

JMO, IMO, :moo:, and all other disclaimers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3