LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about trucks or the Z71 package ( which is an option package...not a type of make/model/whatever for a car.)

I just took my millionth look at the picture of the truck...does anyone else see what could be a dark colored area on the passenger side of the front bumper?

Picture%202.jpg

IMO, JMO, MOO

My comment above, when I said the footage may well have been erased by the time civilians knew to look for a white truck, I meant automatically erased. My husband's company, which is a technology company, only has footage from 4-7 days previous before it is taped over. That can vary widely of course.

Oh, so it's both? Why does Lafayette have so many streets that change names?

This made me think of a story I had to share. I also used to get frustrated by the names of streets changing in Lafayette and NOLA. And then I moved to Houston and encountered that as well as something new that just drives me crazy! Here in Houston--and apparently anywhere normal, aka, anywhere not in Louisiana--when streets go from North to South or West to East, the addresses start over!

So, you end up with something like this:
105 W Main​
105 E Main​

Being someone who has never encountered that, I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to put the W or E into my mapquest and ended up at the other address! :maddening:

I don't know anything about trucks or the Z71 package ( which is an option package...not a type of make/model/whatever for a car.)

I just took my millionth look at the picture of the truck...does anyone else see what could be a dark colored area on the passenger side of the front bumper?

http://www.lafayettela.gov/upload/images/Police/PressReleases/Picture 2.jpg
IMO, JMO, MOO

Yes, and I think it's the sign that it passed. It looks like a dark mark. Also, the windows are tinted, so you can't make out if anyone is inside the truck, I tried every which way yesterday, negative image, colorizing it, and nothin.

Never has been too popular a theory, but I still think this might have happened: Someone abducted Mickey, planned or impulse, left the bike (maybe having bumped it as part of the abduction).

Then someone else, unrelated to the abduction, comes along right after and sees an unattended bike, takes it on a whim -- thinks better of that move later, dumps it.

I wonder if picking up the bike only might have been the root underneath the speculation about RM/confession/etc.

I just want him to look around there and see if there are any cams around, or anywhere secluded enough where someone could have knocked her off her bike in that area and no one could have seen. Just basically check that area and the buses back there.

Much of the area is enclosed by fencing as it is used for parking for the college. One would have to know the ins ands outs of the parking lot. If she was chased down there the road dead ends into a parking area for ROTC -pretty secluded back there. Sadly, much of that area at night especially since the hospital closed and moved to a new building is very dark and secluded. I don't know about cameras.

Picture%202.jpg

IMO, JMO, MOO

I saw that a long time ago, but just as people ruled out the girl possibly having been sitting where the tailgate would be, I just left it alone. But I see what you are pointing at. There is also a dot of light, that scared me as it could have been her little bike light on the handlebars.

Were pictures of the truck posted at places such as near doors of bars and convenient stores,or near doors of gas stations,or near pumps?It might be possible that perp was on his way home from visiting a friend and the friend would recognize the truck,but maybe the friend does not watch too much TV so knows nothing about the case.With such a large reward if the friend saw the picture of the truck,he might report it.

This made me think of a story I had to share. I also used to get frustrated by the names of streets changing in Lafayette and NOLA. And then I moved to Houston and encountered that as well as something new that just drives me crazy! Here in Houston--and apparently anywhere normal, aka, anywhere not in Louisiana--when streets go from North to South or West to East, the addresses start over!

So, you end up with something like this:
105 W Main​
105 E Main​

Being someone who has never encountered that, I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to put the W or E into my mapquest and ended up at the other address! :maddening:

It works like in lots of cities where two streets are the north/south and east/west dividers. Where those two streets meet is the center of the city. At least we're not in Atlanta where everything is Peachtree!

It's both.

University turns into Pinhook.

Actually, University intersects with Pinhook, right near the site of the old ice house. University continues on to - and terminates at - Evangeline Thruway (near the airport, where it meets with the terminal end of Surrey), while Pinhook continues on to the east side of Evangeline Thruway, past Carmel Dr., where it becomes Teurlings Rd.

Yes, and I think it's the sign that it passed. It looks like a dark mark. Also, the windows are tinted, so you can't make out if anyone is inside the truck, I tried every which way yesterday, negative image, colorizing it, and nothin.
I don't understand what you mean by you think it's the sign.

I know shadows and graphics so...........

Have you taken a look at the Versaille pic? The one with MS on her bike and the seemingly bright area near the center top portion of the photo? It's been bugging me since its release. Would love to know what someone with experience thinks of it...if for no other reason, just to put it to rest.

Maybe she hit the wall at 1:30a. Having a when you're young, you can still function with a hangover - but at the end of the night you burn out earlier. You know young people. they'll still go out hungover, just to be with friends. But that doesn't mean she wasn't too tired to leave early. I still don't quite get why BW didn't take her home.... except MS seems stubborn and does things her own way, and BW doesn't seem like the type to stand up to a stubborn person. She said "I'm leaving" and he said OK.

That's how I interpreted MS wanting to hang out with friends but leave before most people, as well. According to this transcript, MS was excited about a show at Artmosphere on Friday night, and had been speaking about it for a few days. I imagine once the show was over, she realized that she had to be up for her brother's 11AM graduation ceremony, and just wanted to eat and sleep in preparation:

http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1205/23/ijvm.01.html

I will say that I completely understand why Brettly Wilson didn't drive her home. Here's the pertinent quote from the linked transcript:

"I didn't have a bike rack on my car. Mickey has done this, you know, every night we've ever gone out. She's ridden her bike somewhere. She actually rode her bike to the show, which is a bit further than my house. It was nothing out of the ordinary for her to bike anywhere, no matter the time of day."

I'm in my mid-30s and have always had a mixed group of friends (gender/race/orientation/etc.), and it seems that Shunick and Wilson associate with a similarly diverse group of people, as many younger people do. The idea that women shouldn't go out at night and men are obligated to protect them if they do would probably never occur to them in a million years.

Just got exact location of bike from someone who saw it:

Hi [chicken fried],

The bike was not found by the boat ramp, it was on the other side of State Route
975. It would be right below where you have Pilot Channel marked on the map.

Basically, when you are on State Route 975, heading toward I-10 from the exit
ramp, you can either turn right or left. If you go right, you end up at the boat
ramp. If you turn left, you are just in a gravel area without any kind of ramp.
It’s on that side where the bike was found and that's the area where all of the
police were working last Sunday.

I was back out there yesterday and got a better look. It's a good 15- to 20-foot
dropoff from the land to where the water is -- very steep and very rocky. It
makes it easier to see why police are not 100 percent sure whether the damage to
the bike came from a hit-and-run or something else. Just my personal opinion,
but it definitely looks possible that a bicycle could get damaged if someone
threw it in that terrain and that distance. But I don't have any other
information or details, that's just a personal observation.
------

Here's the map I sent the source, referenced in the above.

Y'all, she nor her bike are under that truck. If you look at the pic just of her, she's in that same spot the truck is in with no sign of the truck. So unless she stood completely still and waited a minute for the truck to come up behind her and run her over, the light or dark spot is not her..... :D

Have you taken a look at the Versaille pic? The one with MS on her bike and the seemingly bright area near the center top portion of the photo? It's been bugging me since its release. Would love to know what someone with experience thinks of it...if for no other reason, just to put it to rest.

Yes, that's the area that wodalo pointed out a few days ago, it looks like a white truck front, with it's lights off following Mickey. It's back there, very difficult to see. AND, if you look in front of Mickey, there is one white blob area that looks just, well, white. Something is being covered up there by those who gave out those photos, my opinion only, because when I bring it close up, every other thing around that area is pixilized, but not that white blob.

Attachments

• mickey3.jpg
    mickey3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 154
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics