LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I extract from this that information obtained through hearsay or other non-official channels can be discussed, but must ALWAYS be prefaced by "Rumor:" or "The following is rumor"?

No, please don't interpret it that way. We don't even have a rumor chasing event here at WS. We do everything we can to protect the intergrity of the information posted here. That is why you will see so many requests for links, documents, etc...

In addition, we verify members who have a professional expertise or may have close inside knowledge regarding a particular case. There are instructions at the link below for anyone interested in becoming verified.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106653"]Link - Verified Posters: Professional & Insiders[/ame]

This is done to protect everyone. I've seen info posted before knowing full well that the poster had the best intentions & meant no harm, however may have revealed something that LE may not want public, potentially hindering an investigation.

We're just careful around here. We speculate but we're cautious not to get lost in the high weeds.

I'll tackle this, foxfire.

Even though the downtown area (Jefferson St) is in close proximity to her route, I tend to think the two are probably not related. Downtown Lafayette is in many ways like what you see on Bourbon St in New Orleans, just on a smaller scale. There's very limited parking, though, so partiers downtown generally have to park on the outlying streets from the main drag (which is Jefferson St.). That makes them targets. There's been a recent upswing in the assaults downtown precisely because that area is so target-rich. But, IMO, it's mostly restricted to that specific area.

Thanks for this, Schmidty.

I'd like to add that when I visited to check out the area in the late afternoon of May 19th, street parking in the general area of Jefferson Street was already taken up. To make things easier, we parked in a garage. By the time we left that evening around 9PM, there were many people milling about, walking to bars, and just generally hanging around.

As the bars close around 2AM, there would have been plenty of opportunities for predators to find potential victims in the area around the time Mickey went missing- walking home, walking to cars, etc. All people on foot, and as such, much easier targets than someone moving quickly on a bike.

It's really not that hard to understand, at least for me. There are several bars downtown, and limited street parking, so people may have to park a little ways from where the bar is. Some of the parking areas are dark and secluded. So we have lots of (intoxicated) pedestrian traffic during the operating hours of the bars, and immediately after closing time.

There have been thugs who hang around downtown and they have been known to mug pedestrians and take wallets, purses, things like that. Never have these thugs kidnapped a person!

This behavior rarely happens outside of downtown.

Mickey was not a pedestrian, and she was headed away from downtown.

I think that is why most locals would think the incidents are completely unrelated.

Right. These types of criminal are mostly snatch and grab types. Jump some body, steal some **** and run. Theyre not overly concerned about evidence or being caught on video, witnesses etc as evident by the fact they just do it right out in the open. Commit crimes like these enough and they know how difficult it is to be caught after the fact. They have to basically be caught in the process to be arrested. So with that being said, not being overly concerned with any evidence or who's around, just beating someone and robbing them out in the open, I don't think they are the types to then decide to cover up an accidental murder or something of someone they just robbed. They would just run.

What we're looking at is someone who took the time to try and cover this up which is a different type of criminal.

Yes, GulfCoastKAT, it is common for sexual predators to have a very long list of misdemeanors before they act out on their prior fantasies and become violent felons. Many begin as peeping toms, sexual abusers, etc. Other human beings are only objects to them. They hone their skills with each innocent victim and become more brazen and narcissistic. I've seen preachers turn into the devil's deciple due to meth & other drugs.

If you check out the suspect arrested, Clifford Ledet of New Iberia. Imo, you will find a progressive and very violent, criminal history. New Iberia is 20 miles south of Lafayette, LA, three of the suspects remain at large.

If these "simple buglers" were out that night, hyped up so to speak who's to say they didn't go one step further? Just a thought

It's really not that hard to understand, at least for me. There are several bars downtown, and limited street parking, so people may have to park a little ways from where the bar is. Some of the parking areas are dark and secluded. So we have lots of (intoxicated) pedestrian traffic during the operating hours of the bars, and immediately after closing time.

There have been thugs who hang around downtown and they have been known to mug pedestrians and take wallets, purses, things like that. Never have these thugs kidnapped a person!

This behavior rarely happens outside of downtown.

Mickey was not a pedestrian, and she was headed away from downtown.

I think that is why most locals would think the incidents are completely unrelated.

"Yes, muggings do happen in every urban area in the US, and kidnappings/abductions are rare, kgeau.". This case seems extremely violent and the coincidence of the timing raises red flags, imo.

Guess, it has a lot of similarities in other cases that I have followed in different cities, where folks have a false sense of security due to the area where they live.

2 people were attacked. A man and a woman. Happened around the same time.
It's been on my mind.

Guys...the robberies / attacks were the FOLLOWING night. Not the night Mickey vanished.

If these "simple buglers" were out that night, hyped up so to speak who's to say they didn't go one step further? Just a thought

Clifford Ledet was arrested early in the morning of Sunday, May 20th. Mickey Shunick went missing early in the morning of Saturday, May 19th.

ok. I've been hesitant to do this, but this picture, RM previous actions, AND the confirmation that RM was spoken to by LE, I'm inclined to share this. I think someone mentioned it a while back. Maybe you all have seen it. First off, I've always thought that the truck you see on St. Landry, each direction, is the same truck, and the one with a bedcover on University is a separate truck. This picture is of one of the passengers in RM's truck from the wreck/ hit and run he was previously in. (V.S.) He has this as "public", so that's the only reason I am sharing this. My heart sunk when I came across it. It looks like this guy's truck may be in the driveway behind him, but the truck directly behind him is the one I'm talking about. I'm sure all of these guys work together and know each other.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...626176042.8451.100001813160573&type=3&theater

This makes me glad that RM was interviewed by LE, even if he is not a POI. I hope that they are interviewing as many White Z71 owners as possible since that appears to be their only lead at this point. I also agree with you that the truck traveling in both directions on St. Landry is the same truck and that the truck on University is different (and cleared.)

"Corporal Paul Mouton, a Lafayette Police Department spokesperson, would neither confirm nor deny that McGee was interviewed. Mouton, who sounded incensed on the phone when questioned about the report, said many people have been interviewed. No one has been identified as a suspect, he said, and no one has been arrested."
http://planet1051.com/article-in-th...eculation-about-mickey-shunick-disappearance/

One thing that stood out to me about this report was the fact that Mouton "sounded incensed" when asked to confirm that McGee has been questioned. I have wondered if that was because he is their main suspect at this point. That would explain why LE doesn't seem interested in tracking down vehicles that were recently reported by ACI and others. Maybe, at this point, they are verifying his alibi,etc. MOO

Wonder what reason Mouton would have to be 'incensed' when asked a simple question? Family friend, perhaps!

Interesting, but not sure how to process. Are you saying because VS was the passenger in a vehicle in a DUI related death, that he is a more likely to become a DUI driver. Guilty by association or something?

No. I'm not saying that. I don't even think the white truck is that guy's truck. I think his is in the drive way behind him. I only assume that because I glanced over the rest of his profile pictures. He obviously is "into" his truck. The truck directly behind him stuck out to me in a HUGE way. I don't know who it is for. But I know the good ole' boy network has been talked about and I'm fairly confident he would know who the truck is for. His name has come up as a passenger again in the "rumors" floating around about RM and the night Mickey went missing. I am not going to perpetuate the "facts" of those rumors, but I sure can see why LE may have wanted to talk to him or RM. He made these pictures public. You do not have to have facebook to see them.

This makes me glad that RM was interviewed by LE, even if he is not a POI. I hope that they are interviewing as many White Z71 owners as possible since that appears to be their only lead at this point. I also agree with you that the truck traveling in both directions on St. Landry is the same truck and that the truck on University is different (and cleared.)

I'm also glad they are at least going that route and contacting white Z71 owners, especially those with priors. Those are definitely two different trucks though - the one going opposite of Mickey does not have the Z71 decal. Police also stated the pic of the truck following Mickey is the only one they are releasing. That part has been discussed ad nauseum a few threads back....plenty of links there as well.

The way I understand it, they were called to a "simple robbery" but then when they looked for the suspects they found them kicking a woman on the ground. What if they'd done the same the night before, but it went too far... :(

I do think that them not releasing more info is because they're closing in but don't want to let on. People are likely to be easier to "catch" if they think they're getting away with it

Wonder what reason Mouton would have to be 'incensed' when asked a simple question? Family friend, perhaps!

Or, as others have mentioned, Mouton could have been upset that the information was leaked at all. Or possibly just frustrated by the volume of calls the case was producing at the time.

Guys...the robberies / attacks were the FOLLOWING night. Not the night Mickey vanished.

You are right. I saw that the date of the report was the 20th and assumed that it was reporting something that occurred the previous day. But it is the morning of the same day.

Ok. So this robbing crew kill and rob a young, pretty white girl the previous night. Body and evidence disposed of or stashed in a car or shed. They then go out the very next night to rob some more. It just doesn't pass the smell test.

I was thinking he was p o'd that everyone knew RM was questioned. Small towns, CajunNet, and all that jazz.

Let's just hope that there is no funny business going on here w/ this investigation because of some backroom ties RM's folks might have with people of authority around the BB / Laf areas. Hope they didn't clear the truck RM was most likely in with the chrome gas cap due to shenanigans and now are putting people on the lookout for the WRONG vehicle to cover their behinds. I know how shady backroom deals are done down there as I lost a job I loved due to dirty politics. Welcome to LA!

Or, as others have mentioned, Mouton could have been upset that the information was leaked at all. Or possibly just frustrated by the volume of calls the case was producing at the time.

This. Or...since it was a phone interview maybe they just misunderstood his tone. I think media around here does tend to embellish a bit maybe.

And in an effort to steer the discussion away from RM. The truck he/his mother owns is a 2 door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3