LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
GPS does not require the phone to be powered up to send its location, whereas an older phone does. However, a destroyed smartphone may not transmit location. Essentially, the GPS does not require battery life, and the "pinging" on the older models do.

Do you have a reference or link where I can read more about this? I don't believe this information is correct (how could an electronic device without any power communicate with GPS satellites?) but I've been wrong before. The link you posted does not support your statement: the relevant quote there is, "This means that in instances where a fugitive or other missing person has a GPS enabled cell phone (and that the phone has power when being polled, or pinged) that the cell phone can be located within a reasonable geographic area- some say within several feet of the cell phone." (emphasis mine)

Exactly.........now, is LE not telling the entire story, the camera did catch her at 216 Landry? And if that's so, why would they hold that info back?

Communication has been so frickin poor that maybe either the question hasn't been asked in the right way, or answered in the right way. Remember, these are Cajuns performing both actions.

Non-smartphones arent constantly transmitting data and signals to towers like smart phones do. They basically only do when receiving/sending a call, text message or whatever or if pinged. Thats why those are a **** to trace....and why someone doesnt have a smart phone in 2012 is beyond me *shrugs*

Did it ever cross your mind that some people don't want to be tracked like cattle? Smart phones today, implanted chips tomorrow. No thanks.

Communication has been so frickin poor that maybe either the question hasn't been asked in the right way, or answered in the right way. Remember, these are Cajuns performing both actions.

Honey, Cajuns aside, by the way, my mother was a Cajun, if they aren't informing the public then the public is NOT going to be able to help them. Unless of course they already have all the answers, then that's fine.

That picture of the older model truck with the bed cover also has something that the other truck doesn't. I don't know what it is called but it has a body part by the back glass that resembles the shape of what the Avalanche, Escalade, or the Honda ridgeline has. Do you know what this is called?

No. I'd need to see it pointed out.

Honey, Cajuns aside, by the way, my mother was a Cajun, if they aren't informing the public then the public is NOT going to be able to help them. Unless of course they already have all the answers, then that's fine.

The had the involvement of the FBI from the begining didn't they? You would think the feds would offer advice on such things.

I wonder if fingerprints could survive being in the water-I am guessing it is not likely. The chances of DNA being on file, even if found, are so slim...although would be great to have in case of a suspect turning up.

IF the driver of this truck has nothing to do with Mickey...I feel pretty hopeless about this case, unless it is a serial and another woman disappears.

Tim Miller leaving when he did and saying that there was no new evidence tells me that there probably isn't a suspect at this point, for if there was, there would be some new areas of interest marked out to search, i.e. places known to that person, tied to that person in some way. So I think it is the driver of "WT"...or a complete unknown to this point.

JMO

I was watching a news video on the bike earlier. The guy stated that fingerprints can definitely be pulled off of the bike unless it has sat underwater for years.

No, I don't think so, there was some activity there, but could have just been men out fishing.

If everyone is basing the idea that there was a search at WB going on today based on the pictures from the I-10 cameras...I don't think that's a safe assumption to make. The area shown in this picture is usually full of trucks and fishing equipment. This is where a lot of people go to fish in the basin. It is near where the bike was found, but not the same exact area. And I am not sure if there were any LE vehicles on cam...if there were, it's possible LE was out there but I haven't heard that suggested anywhere other than this thread.

The had the involvement of the FBI from the begining didn't they? You would think the feds would offer advice on such things.

I'm not certain just when and why the FBI became involved, normally they aren't involved unless they feel that the victim has been taken across a border, so what does their involvement tell us then?

If everyone is basing the idea that there was a search at WB going on today based on the pictures from the I-10 cameras...I don't think that's a safe assumption to make. The area shown in this picture is usually full of trucks and fishing equipment. This is where a lot of people go to fish in the basin. It is near where the bike was found, but not the same exact area. And I am not sure if there were any LE vehicles on cam...if there were, it's possible LE was out there but I haven't heard that suggested anywhere other than this thread.

Well earlier it was suggested that there may have been activity out there today, I looked and caught what you see on the picture I posted, not much and said at the time, it was probably just men out fishin.

I think a local posted upthread that they heard on the 10 pm news that Whiskey Bay was searched again.

I hadn't heard that no more searches are planned? Is that true?

I was watching a news video on the bike earlier. The guy stated that fingerprints can definitely be pulled off of the bike unless it has sat underwater for years.

That is good news...lots of people have had their fingerprints taken, and I find it hard to believe that someone committed a crime of this nature as a first offense. I think that might be their best chance, along with ruling the ($%$%$^&*) white truck in or out.

I think a local posted upthread that they heard on the 10 pm news that Whiskey Bay was searched again.

As of 4 days ago, this is what was said, take it as you like, to me it's not good news.

Officials searching for Lafayette resident Mickey Shunick are no longer using volunteers to help find the missing UL student, and police said today that her bike was found under water in the Atchafalaya Basin with damage to its rear tire.

According to a message posted to the "Find Mickey Shunick Now" Facebook page, "the volunteer portion of the search effort is indefinitely suspended, however [the search] is still ongoing."
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120529/NEWS01/120529019/Volunteer-search-Shunick-called-off

Well, that is encouraging. I guess. Or are they out of leads and just going over old ground again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaneDoeCR1990