LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate that. Sincerely.

I speak from my gut.

If my sibling or loved one went missing, I think my demeanor would be different.
Just saying.

If my son went missing, I wouldn't be smiling and laughing on camera. (with doggie on shoulder)

Just saying...............
I would be pleading and crying.

Just my 2 cents.

Everyone deals with things differently. Perhaps Charlie feels a responsibility to to be the positive face for her family b/c of her likeness to Mickey. I admire her. I am sure she is not so upbeat in her own private space.

I always say, never judge anyone till you've walked a mile in their shoes.

LA

That was my option 3... just finding it by happenstance.

But why so concerned about the bike being found? How could having the bike found lead back to the perp? Why was the perp so concerned about taking it with him then getting rid of it?

Was it fingerprints initially? Did he think to put the bike in the truck b/c he knew he had touched it and wanted to later clean it?

What advantage would he have to take the bike?

Does he live nearby? Would leaving the bike there lead the searchers near him? Why was important for the perp to hide the place/point of abduction?

It delays detection of the crime. Muddies the waters. Gives him a head start to evade the law and cover the crime.

It delays detection of the crime. Muddies the waters. Gives him a head start to evade the law and cover the crime.

I totaly agree. Then where was it that he picked her off? What area? He wasn't detected, he got away with putting BOTH Mickey and her bike inside his vehicle and was able to drive away.

OMG!! I never noticed that....only in Lafayette....

Wait in street view, she would had to have hopped a little curb to keeping going on Brashear. Totally do-able!

I imagine there was a lot of traffic cutting thru that neighborhood to get from St. Landry to Johnston. Visa-versa. Probably a lot of traffic around city hall. I guess the residents asked for some remedy.

Let's just for the heck of it say she did take Brashear, hopped that little curb and got on Johnston, there are no cameras anywhere along that route presumably, where could he have met up with her on Johnston, how far down?

It depends on what theory we are talking? None of the thoerys make scense to take the bike correct??? The only only one that does to me if it was a accident, to cover my butt.... If this was serial i would think he would leave it where it happend, as a finger in the air to the cops basically. If it was abduction, tazer as some pointed out, I am sure they cold recover her without touching the bike. But imo, if it was accident, which they intedned at first to help her, take her to hospital etc, why not take the bike with you and her stuff???? Then on the way change your mind, she passes away etc, then everything changes

There's really no reason to take the bike if it was an accident and certainly no reason to take the body. If there was so little damage to the bike, there would be no damage to the perp's vehicle. Bringing the body and bike with him would increase the chance of implicating him in the hit and run.

I've given two reasons why if, this was an abduction, was it necessary to take the bike.
1. The perp's fingerprints were on it.
2. B/c the perp didn't want LE to know the exact location of the abduction.

If no. 2 is correct, then the perp could live in that neighborhood.

I totaly agree. Then where was it that he picked her off? What area? He wasn't detected, he got away with putting BOTH Mickey and her bike inside his vehicle and was able to drive away.

A garage of someone she knew????????

Okay, first time posting, and several pages back in the thread, so possibly off topic now. Regarding the landfill questions, here is a link with the DEQ listing permitted Type 1 (Industrial solid waste) and Type 2 (Residential) landfills in Louisiana.
http://www.deq.louisiana.gov/portal/tabid/1914/Default.aspx
I work for a contractor and use the DEQ website on a regular basis checking for the status on permits for projects we are tracking - I am not sure if this list would catch ALL landfills though, as I haven't been all of the way through it - I know that there are construction debris landfills as well as some others that company's have for their own use (for any type of non hazardous debris associated with whatever they do).

I think the perpetrator has access to a camp or home in the area. He was comfortable with Whiskey Bay. He never expected the bike to be found. I think it was a major blunder on his part. The river dropped several feet and never took the bike downstream. I don't think it was a diversion to throw the police off. He never wanted that bike found.

Only someone familiar with the area (a local) would feel comfortable ditching the bike here. I believe in this area he did what he set out to do to MS. A camp or nearby home makes the entire situation ideal and comfortable to him I bet.

But why so concerned about the bike being found? How could having the bike found lead back to the perp? Why was the perp so concerned about taking it with him then getting rid of it?

Was it fingerprints initially? Did he think to put the bike in the truck b/c he knew he had touched it and wanted to later clean it?

Does he live nearby? Would leaving the bike there lead the searchers near him? Why was important for the perp to hide the place/point of abduction?

If he or they hit her with a vehicle, the answer is obvious. If not, a poster WAY back in this thread pointed out that the bike being taken gave the perp additional time. Meaning, nobody would stumble upon a bike w/o a rider and raise an alarm.

BTW, I just read where Shellee Hale (yes, the psychic but she DOES work with LE) stated that some info about the bike has not been released to the public. This was not psychic stuff but from her LE contacts. They're holding back to allow that only the perp knows certain info.

Yes, tazers are easily bought and if you're the recipient of a tazing, I think you'd find you'd be screaming, if the youtube videos are anything to go by.

Ok a tazed (?) victim would most likely scream. What sort of weapon would one need to use to prevent the victim from screaming--some sort of tranquilizer gun? Wouldn't that be available at horse stables? Yes, I watch too much Law & Order.

could be any/all of these reasons but i think the primary reason the bike was taken was because the perp knew that this bike was unique to mickey and not just some average generic bike - which is why i think whoever is responsible is someone she knows. also, if the perp was intoxicated im not sure they would even notice what kind of bike it was or even who she was if its truly an accident...kwim?

IF I was drunk in Lafayette, I would take I10 Direct to WB, the other route adds a lot of miles and small town cops who love to pull you over for anything on 190...............
okay...what if you aren't drunk....and you are looking for a place to commit a violent sex crime or hide or dispose of a body of your victim...is that better? What if you live on or have a camp or have a hunting lease or just know of one ON that road? If there were cops down THAT road the bike would not have been there!

It depends on what theory we are talking? None of the thoerys make scense to take the bike correct??? The only only one that does to me if it was a accident, to cover my butt.... If this was serial i would think he would leave it where it happend, as a finger in the air to the cops basically. If it was abduction, tazer as some pointed out, I am sure they cold recover her without touching the bike. But imo, if it was accident, which they intedned at first to help her, take her to hospital etc, why not take the bike with you and her stuff???? Then on the way change your mind, she passes away etc, then everything changes

The perp got a huge lead ahead of the cops by taking the bike.

Yes, a definite possibility that there were two perps involved, one playing the bad guy and one the good guy who rescued her? Yikes! just got an image in my head of a bad cop being involved in this. Hope I'm wrong.

There was a DUI checkpoint on Johnston!

Ok a tazed (?) victim would most likely scream. What sort of weapon would one need to use to prevent the victim from screaming--some sort of tranquilizer gun? Wouldn't that be available at horse stables? Yes, I watch too much Law & Order.

He would't have needed to tazer her at all, all he had to do was to knock the bike sideways, she would have hit the pavement and could have already been knocked out.

According to the above, this is not correct. This is looking under the I-10 overpass. The bike was found about 100 yards upstream from this bridge.

Here is a copy of chicken fried's post describing the location:

chicken fried

Just got exact location of bike from someone who saw it:

Hi [chicken fried],

The bike was not found by the boat ramp, it was on the other side of State Route
975. It would be right below where you have Pilot Channel marked on the map.

Basically, when you are on State Route 975, heading toward I-10 from the exit
ramp, you can either turn right or left. If you go right, you end up at the boat
ramp. If you turn left, you are just in a gravel area without any kind of ramp.
It’s on that side where the bike was found and that's the area where all of the
police were working last Sunday.

I was back out there yesterday and got a better look. It's a good 15- to 20-foot
dropoff from the land to where the water is -- very steep and very rocky. It
makes it easier to see why police are not 100 percent sure whether the damage to
the bike came from a hit-and-run or something else. Just my personal opinion,
but it definitely looks possible that a bicycle could get damaged if someone
threw it in that terrain and that distance. But I don't have any other
information or details, that's just a personal observation.
------

Here's the map I sent the source, referenced in the above.

Also from chicken fried:
Update/clarification on bike location:
-------

Quote:
as best as i can tell, based on what police said, it would have been below the
"e" in channel. The bike was directly under the interstate. The police made it
sound like it was close to the bank...my best guess based on some other stuff
they said is that it was no more than 30 feet from the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megamookie