LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely.........and futhermore, since when does a young person, decide that it's not safe to walk the streets? Ride the streets? This is a freakin college town for heaven sakes. Morgan Harrington, after a concert in Charlottesville, Va, went missing because she wasn't able to get back into the JPJ Arena, no re admittance policy. What is our world coming to now?

It was the way she was dressed, it was the way her hair was combed, it was the way she carried herself and on and on and on. This thinking has GOT to stop!

It was because she was ALONE!
Had nothing to do with what she wore or how she looked!
She was there for the taking!

It has been discussed that possibility that the perp could have disposed of the evidence by boat at some point upstream and the natural currents deposited the bike in its last resting spot. That would certainly point to a local and one with access to a boat and knowledge of the basin. If true, that would greatly focus the manhunt.

Do you think a water dump more likely than by land?

IF it was found in the spot that was given to Chicken by the reporter who was there - then I don't get how it got there by land. Perp would have had to throw the bike 20 yards away from himself to get it to the shoreline or even close, and thats taking into consideration water level dropping. He also would have had to get that bike through some of the toughest brush and forest Ive seen - covered in nothing but poison ivy. SO - i think either the spot was reported wrong or yes, a boat or some other explanation (dropped it from land but somehow it floated down the side of the river...?) is needed.

The reports said "off whiskey bay exit" then "near whiskey bay bridge" then "directly under the bridge" - so it was difficult to determine from the get-go. Now that the reporter (who was on scene) says that it was up river a bit I'm confused by it all.

My eyes are bleeding from trying to keep up with these threads - what great devotion some of the locals have to this case. Very much admire that.

I initially thought, after they found the bike, that maybe it was a hit and run and they were afraid and dumped everything. The more this goes on though, I think this was more out of malice. I also waiver from thinking she was dumped somewhere near the bike and then thinking maybe she is actually right under the noses of where it happened and the perp didn't want to risk driving around with a body, but was less afraid with a bike and decided to dump the bike, maybe even on the way home. I do find the the location disturbing, however. Red herring? Could be, which only scares me to think there were or will be other victims.

When I think of Mickey and what her family must be going through, I picture how her parents might think of her, as a small baby she once was and how they could never imagine such a thing in their life. She was her parent's baby - not a druggie, not some crazy girl, not dumb - she is innocent. As sad as I feel about this case, and we all feel, I cannot imagine the pain her family is in. I know that if this happened to me, to my girl, I would not be able to go on and probably wouldn't.

From all I've read and heard about Mickey, she was and IS a very smart, strong, capable young woman that any parent would be proud of. I really think she may have known she was being followed, took an alternative route, probably Brashear, and was knocked down, sustained a head injury. The driver probably tricked her into a false sense of security, offered to drive her to hospital, but took her to his home instead.
There are so many sex offenders in the area, this is highly possible.
Let's all hope and pray Mickey can outsmart this creep and free herself.
Lafayette would have the biggest celebration since Mardi Gras !

Since the beginning of time, it has been unsafe to be out late at night alone. It was unsafe before guns. It was unsafe before movies and TV shows and music. There have always been violent people and they have always preyed on the most vulnerable people.

You just hear about it more often now.

Etan Patz and Adam Walsh weren't the first children abducted. They were just the first to be on the national news.

ive been wondering if they've taken any helicopters out

Yes - lots of them out in the few days after the bike was found...I can only speak for the Whiskey Bay and surrounding area - not sure about around Laffy or if that would do any good. Also cannot say that there have been any out since those first few days - havent seen any or seen it reported but that doesnt mean much.

forgive me for not using apostrophes or caps. i have short fingers and am too lazy to shift

in reference to the screams. my moms friends sisters housekeepers husband was coming home from work around 2am that morning and heard screams and saw a man and a woman in a white suv. he said there was a blond girl screaming and the man hit the blond girls head on the side of the street then put her in the suv. the man who saw this is an illegal immigrant, so he was afraid to report it. his wife told my moms friends sister about it who convinced him they werent going to care about his immigration status and she went with him to LPD to report it a few days later. she told my moms friend that they dismissed it. so i called the police department and reported it myself. i clearly stated that it could be rumor since it came down such a long grapevine. a detective called me back, not the lead detective, but still, a detective. so i felt they were taking me seriously. he assured me he'd give the info to the lead detective, but he warned that this sounded like a similar story that they had already investigated and that it was a separate incident that took place in the saint streets area.

Would the saints st area be an area MS might have been without being seen on camera? This definitely bears serious looking at! Nothing at all should be just blown off!

forgive me for not using apostrophes or caps. i have short fingers and am too lazy to shift

in reference to the screams. my moms friends sisters housekeepers husband was coming home from work around 2am that morning and heard screams and saw a man and a woman in a white suv. he said there was a blond girl screaming and the man hit the blond girls head on the side of the street then put her in the suv. the man who saw this is an illegal immigrant, so he was afraid to report it. his wife told my moms friends sister about it who convinced him they werent going to care about his immigration status and she went with him to LPD to report it a few days later. she told my moms friend that they dismissed it. so i called the police department and reported it myself. i clearly stated that it could be rumor since it came down such a long grapevine. a detective called me back, not the lead detective, but still, a detective. so i felt they were taking me seriously. he assured me he'd give the info to the lead detective, but he warned that this sounded like a similar story that they had already investigated and that it was a separate incident that took place in the saint streets area.

In a post a million threads back a link was given for this incident - I do remember that they did follow up and had found the person(s) involved, completely unrelated. The other story about screams was from the neighborhood behind the Toyota dealership - but it was a bit earlier in the night AND way at the other end of Johnston. It was not reported to police when it happened because they didn't think it was a big deal (Cajuns = dramatic and loud as we all know...) until they heard Mickey was missing but LE followed up and the timing/place was off.

Mod Note:

Guys, admins are working as fast as we can on those who have requested to be verified. I promise we will get to them all as soon as we can. I will try to verify at least 2 more by tomorrow.

Until then, PLEASE BE CAREFUL. I just removed a couple of posts that contained info that could possibly hinder the investigation. If you have any idea that LE may be keeping some info private because they don't want the perp to be aware, then rest assured, it is most likely NOT OKAY to post about it here. We want to help and sleuth but the last thing we want to do is disclose info that is meant to be kept under wraps. I realize it is posted with the best of intentions however, keep in mind, this is the internet and a public forum. Perps like reading too. And, believe me, they do it.

The I was correct, she had to have turned into the big lot past where we see her on Camera, for some reason.

I may have missed something. Why are you assuming she circled back to University? She could have turned left on Azalea St and headed into the Saints Streets area.

I used to bike that exact route as a kid when LCG was Sears.

Would the saints st area be an area MS might have been without being seen on camera? This definitely bears serious looking at! Nothing at all should be just blown off!

She's on camera on some of the saint streets - st john...st landry...some will have cameras because they have business & residential parts, others may not have cameras at all. I could see Taco Bell being the only camera near St Mary...

That particular incident was looked into though and reported by a few people actually - a blonde woman was shoved into an SUV the same night - it was someone she knew though, it was in our news a few days after Mickey's disappearance. ODD that although 4-5 people ended up coming forward with this same story - only ONE actually called the cops the night it happened!! Others called the tip line AFTER they heard Mickey was missing.

I've read the book you mentioned - The Ultimate Evil - and, if I recall correctly, it attributes the Son of Sam murders to a cult that had ties to some murders in CA, as well. One interesting point made in the book is that none of the composite sketches made after each shooting looked like they could possibly be the same person, and that Berkowitz only committed 1 of the murders but took the fall for all of them, out of fear. IIRC

It was an interesting book, but a very complicated theory, and I don't see the relevance to Mickey's disappearance. MOO

My point is there may be more than appears.

In a post a million threads back a link was given for this incident - I do remember that they did follow up and had found the person(s) involved, completely unrelated. The other story about screams was from the neighborhood behind the Toyota dealership - but it was a bit earlier in the night AND way at the other end of Johnston. It was not reported to police when it happened because they didn't think it was a big deal (Cajuns = dramatic and loud as we all know...) until they heard Mickey was missing but LE followed up and the timing/place was off.

I would love to see that post. To put my mind at ease....

I may have missed something. Why are you assuming she circled back to University? She could have turned left on Azalea St and headed into the Saints Streets area.

I used to bike that exact route as a kid when LCG was Sears.

It was just something that had been in my mind from the very beginning, even before we knew that she was only captured on the camera in front of City Hall, I don't know why, but I put that map up a long time ago.

It's sad that that's unsafe. (I'm not mad at u for saying it, I absolutely understand why it's unsafe, I'm just mad that it is unsafe) Just a quick rant.. Mickey going missing makes me sad, but it really, really pisses me off more than anything. It's a shame that riding your bike alone late at night could possibly mean risking your life. When Mickey first went missing, I saw a lot of people asking "why was she riding her bike alone that late anyway" That's just ridiculous IMO that doing that is considered crazy. I'm not mad at the people that asked that, I'm mad that we live in a world where people have to ask that... if that makes sense. I hope whoever abducted her (if that's the case) gets a butt whipping, tortured, and then put to death....
and I'm not even a violent person!

Right, I totally get what you're saying. In the beginning there were lots ready to blame the victim, I remember that. And there have been times in my life when I've felt more comfortable doing certain things but until we have more answers to MS's disappearance, I would most definitely not be biking/jogging alone, as a female, after dark.

I would love to see that post. To put my mind at ease....

I'll see what I can find - on both incidents. Definitely don't want to rule them out - I just know both were discussed ad nauseum early on and more info was given back then. May take me till christmas to find. :)

Thank you for clearing that up. It was just a nightmare to think the awful truth could be hidden in plain sight!

Np. I graduated in 04, so some things may have changed since then, but I remember at that time, idiots throwing stuff at the gators--yearbooks specifically. Every year when we had the boxes of yearbooks out in the Union, free for the taking, there were several thrown in Cypress Lake. My coworker's job included removing those, as well as testing the water, occasionally removing gators (I think we sent one to the zoo once or twice). So, as long as it's still being properly maintained, anything out of the ordinary should have been noticed by now.

I'll see what I can find - on both incidents. Definitely don't want to rule them out - I just know both were discussed ad nauseum early on and more info was given back then. May take me till christmas to find. :)

Wow! I have read damn near every post here from day 1 and I don't remember that. (I did only skim for a while during part of the WT debate). I think maybe my brain has been filled w/ too many WTs and maps, perhaps that story has been replaced. ;)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member