LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a non local would pick that location....unless it was premeditated. A non local wouldn't know that specific area would be deserted.

Unless they'd read about DTL or maybe weren't from the general vicinity, but were from nearby. For instance, I am from Beaumont, TX, but I know about Whiskey Bay.

I'm sorry, I looked at your map, and the pin was 100yds upstream. Maybe the map malfunctioned... Google can be a pain.

Didn't mean to sound snippy - I'm really tired. I thought maybe I had missed some source about the 100yds that was released today or something
:blushing:
It's okay chicken, I think we're all tired and frustrated. I usually do better pinning maps but for some reason I couldn't get that pin to stay down by the water's edge. Plus it seems like it moves every time I open the danged map :banghead:.

I agree. Knowing the vast swampland around all of Acadiana, I could think of several other places to dump the bike without it ever being found. Whiskey Bay seems almost cliche to me. I feel like it was someone who is local but not
familiar with the basin, they just dumped the bike there because... It's expected? I don't know how to describe it. I know another poster has said this before- when you ask anyone where they would get rid of something, the answer mostly given is WB but seriously, there are 100's of other places you could hide something that would really never be found, if you truly know Acadiana.

Or, someone just remembers Whiskey Bay's notoriety and figured that's where you dump stuff. And they saw the boat launch and figured "let's go the other way and throw it under the bridge we just went over."

Many possibilities.

Boat - thrown from land.... LE said they didn't think it was off the bridge - I assume they have a reason for that thinking..... THOUGH, if they're ruling out the bridge, doesn't that sort of rule out a boat, too?

If it hit water it really shouldn't have suffered much damage... Also, i have no idea how fast the bank drops off. On this one, we're in the dark, absent someone taking their boat out of Butte la Rose and driving there to drop anchor and test it. I'm not sure my own boat could handle the current... just a 15hp putt-putt.

Hmm...so is it someone known to her or someone on the edges of her life?

Someone who knew she was planning to move away?

Again-just tail chasing

Or someone who often saw her riding her path from BW's to her home. Someone who had an overactive pathologic imagination!

Cliche is right. The only instance that might not be so is if the perp were heading east, knew of the remote exit, and then kept heading east. I'm inclined to go with the perp being local so the WB dump tells me he's stupid.

IMO he's stupid OR he wants the bike to be found in a notorious location maybe even sending LE on a wild goose chase looking for her.

Here is a BIG reminder.
If info cannot be linked to a verifiable source, it should be considered rumor, conjecture and/or hearsay.

My thoughts:
1) Non-local escaping east on I-10. He needs to get evidence out of the vehicle. A bike in the truck (cab or bed) would attraction attention. He just wants to get rid of it. It does not matter if it is ultimately found if it gives him a day or two head start. It gave him a week. Of course, the big quesiton is where is the body? Dumped in same place? If not, why two places?
2) Local making it look like non-local. Wants us to think they left on I-10, but are still local.
3) Local dumped bike by boat and evidence washed ashore to its location. Body may be have been dumped at the same time or elsewhere in basin. By this theory, the bike was not meant to be found. Bad luck (for him) washed it to exactly the place to be found more quickly.

Good thinking.

All the talk about ruling out the DUI/ accident situation b/c you think they would not take the bike doesn't sway me this could not have been the case. Mabey the person hit her & intended to take her to the hospital, but she did not make it...if drunk may have decided they would get in too much trouble=another terrible decision:(

Maybe the next person that gets brave enough to go to the site where the bicycle was found can get some photos of the area for us. I looked through the photos the media had posted and didn't see any that looked like the exact spot. Maybe LE wouldn't them close enough to get any good shots.

Yes, I agree. That is from our discussion from several nights ago.

I am just saying that the bike ended up in a spot that is making many people point at the interstate. If it was dumped by boat and he did not intend for it to be found, then it is bad luck it washed ashore. But it was good luck that it ended up in a spot that is making many people look east away from Acadiana. Had it washed ashore somewhere else, I don't think we would be so strongly considering that theory.

He set a good puzzle, didn't he, choosing that location? It would have been easier if he had dumped it off I-10 east of the eastern boat launch. Different water. Different scenario.

Or very, very creepy.

Intially, I had the theory that it was meant to terrorize people with the association of the previous serial killer. However, that was back when we thought the bike was not in water or just thrown with trash under the overpass. Once I heard that it was submerged, it told me that perp did not want it found, so I went with the cliche/stupid angle. I certainly think it's someone who's been down there, before - if it's true it was in the big channel.

BTW, these fish camps: We don't have those in the north. Are they privately owned, like cottages, or state land leased for a term like a campground spot?

Any new information on local tv about the search today?

I don't think a non local would pick that location....unless it was premeditated. A non local wouldn't know that specific area would be deserted.
A person from Baton Rouge would know about it just as well as one from Lafayette..... depends on what a "local" is, I guess.

Maybe they didn't plan on the water level dropping.

I don't think MS is anywhere near the bike drop. I don't know why.

I go back and forth on my thinking. Depends on when you ask me. Sometimes I think she was dumped with the bike, other times I think no.

guys, I am on my way to La tomorrow. Have a desire to drive like the devil is chasing me and as if I am rescuing a Hurricane victim. I have been wanting to go to Lafayette and help in any way possible.

While I do not know the family I really just want to walk right up to CS and give her a big old bike riding hippie mama hug, -- but that's just weird.

peace ya'll.

LA

It's okay chicken, I think we're all tired and frustrated. I usually do better pinning maps but for some reason I couldn't get that pin to stay down by the water's edge. Plus it seems like it moves every time I open the danged map :banghead:.

Pinning ANYTHING down in this case has been hellaciously hard.

What's the old saying... "like nailing Jell-O to a tree....":bang:

Unless they'd read about DTL or maybe weren't from the general vicinity, but were from nearby. For instance, I am from Beaumont, TX, but I know about Whiskey Bay.

Or maybe they are a DTL wanna be?

Has anyone (LE, TES, sleuthers, etc.) simulated a body going down the river with a GPS device? This may help to find her if (God forbid) she were dumped with the bike?

Has anyone been down there and walked to the edge to see the drop off, or trash pile, or what may look like a trash pile where the bike was found? I wonder of it can be seen from the edge. If not, what would hinder this? How much would a bike like that weigh? 30 feet doesn't seem like that far for a strong person to throw a 20 lb bike. If someone were to go down there, could you take pictures please?

It also seems to me, from the Shreveport article, that this area is frequently fished. How was it not seen/found before? Or was It seen before, but not reported until the fisherman heard about the case days later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member