LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think she was, and when she went through the intersection at Circle K, that's when she decided, (if she did, only my opinion), to go down Brashear heading to that spot where cars and trucks can't get to. Crossed over to Cherry then headed on down to St Mary's, after that, I don't know. That's why I was so concerned about the big bus parking lot at the end of Cherry on St Mary's.

Do you know if there are cameras on Brashear and Cherry? Are there any businesses along that route that could have surveillance cameras, or residences? If MS was being intentionally followed and took a detour, is there a way the person following her, assuming he was familiar with the area, could access Cherry from further down and catch up with her?

Another thought, if a vehicle was following MS for a good distance but only because the driver happened to be going in the same direction, the driver may have become angry that she didn't get over and let him pass. So, maybe there was an altercation that lead to ????

Well, if you look at the image of Mickey on her Bike in front of the Circle K and the picture of the truck, the truck picture has been cropped in closer. Soo...I guess it's totally possible that a time stamp has been cropped out? I asked about the reason for the cropping earlier, but no one really seemed to think it was an issue and just done for us to focus more on the truck.

I have been reading your ideas for days and I pray y'all find her. I appreciate all of you and your ideas.
There is something that has been nagging at me for over a week now: On the 25th, the media released the photo of MS in front of Circle K. At that time they also released the photo of the truck turning left in front of Circle K. {One of you said when you save the image to computer from LPD site the pic is named "truck (0151)" which is probably a reference to the time stamp since Versailles was labeled (0147), coinciding with that photo's time stamp.} But getting back to my post.... the newscaster clearly stated this was not the truck wanted.. but they were searching for the driver of a truck similar to this one... maybe a Z71 or (named some other model)... They went on to say that the truck in question had also been captured on camera traveling during the same time period as MS. I even heard Charlie say it on a news clip on TV.

I thought that made no sense... If they have an image of THE truck, why not show it. I assumed it was from another camera and they could not get it to the media in time for the news.
But the NEXT day, the evening news showed updated photos: the Olds on St. Landry and on University, the bedcover truck, AND a white truck in nearly the EXACT location and going in the same direction as MS in the "MS in front of Circle K" photo released the night before.
This has puzzled me..... If they had it, why not release it with the MS photo the night before? Why did they delay in releasing THE truck photo? Would LPD "alter" a photo? Was there more to eliminate in that photo than just cropping a time stamp?
A few threads back someone called LE and asked if the two trucks were the same and there was some comment about editing the photo, but enhancing with filters etc does not take that long.

Just curious....why and what is your theory? Not disagreeing with you, just curious of your thoughts. tia

From what I have read, LE has indicated she disappeared on a street off of St. Landry. That is the starting point. I have not heard what street that was.

Another thought, if a vehicle was following MS for a good distance but only because the driver happened to be going in the same direction, the driver may have become angry that she didn't get over and let him pass. So, maybe there was an altercation that lead to ????

AHH! I never thought about that as a reason MS didn't think she was being intentionally followed... (bbm)

BBM:
Because she always rode her bike. We have a girl who carried around mace. She knew there was danger out there. If she felt like she was being followed, it makes no sense to me for her to keep riding when there's a convenience store RIGHT THERE.

Well, she did, she rode further, don't know why.

From what I remember reading, she was a cautious bike rider. I believe she sometimes rode on sidewalks and also went rode against the traffic. Would a cautious biker stop in the middle of the road, that close to a busy intersection, with her back to the traffic? It just seems inconsistent in my mind. But.......

I thought so too but if she was THAT cautious whereis her helmet?

(It's the mom in me...)

What are the viable scenarios?

1. She was hit by a drunk/distracted driver, and taken as a cover up.

2. She was targeted by a stalker, and he finally got his chance that night.

3. She was in wrong place, wrong time and taken spontaneously by an opportunistic perp.

4. She went someplace else, in secret, to meet up with a crush/pot dealer/friend, and she met with harm there.

5. She ran off....

Any other options?

I'd also like to know because of her small stature, if she was able to plant her foot firmly on the groung when she stopped or just her tippy toes...

Most bikes aren't designed to allow you to put a foot flat on the ground if you're using them correctly. If the seat were that low, your knees would be too high. Only bikes with crank forward features are designed for this (Electra invented the technology)

See these links: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electra_Bicycle_Company"]Electra Bicycle Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] and
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-750423.html.

Given that Mickey was an avid cyclist I think its a good bet her bike seat would be at the right height and, if stopped, her bike would be leaning a little. Whether her bike is leaning a little in that picture, I can't say.

Great thinking gngr!

ETA: Mickey's bike, the Schwinn Madison, does not have this technology.

The longer the driver of the white truck does not come forward, the more likely it is involved, IMO...

High, tired... COULD she have had an earbud in? Listening to music?

What other distractions could there have been?

Thinking about what she had to do the next day - her brother's graduation

Worrying about making it home safely to the point of being distracted

Something she and BW had been talking about (nothing sinister meant by this)

The concert she'd just seen

Summer plans

Maybe I just tend to get "lost in my own world" a lot, but I'm approximately Mickey's age/demographic and these are all things I could imagine myself thinking about were I in Mickey's position (g-d forbid).

The ride home in the dark would be kind of long and lonely and I think I'd be searching for things to think about instead of how much further I had to go. I mentioned in a previous thread that I (used to) walk five miles home alone from a bar every week, and I'd think about all sorts of things to distract myself from how looooong and slow and boring and cold the walk was.

Also, IF IF IF she happened to be high, she could have been ruminating about pretty much anything. I have heard that smoking pot and being alone = introspection. ;)

Do you know if there are cameras on Brashear and Cherry? Are there any businesses along that route that could have surveillance cameras, or residences? If MS was being intentionally followed and took a detour, is there a way the person following her, assuming he was familiar with the area, could access Cherry from further down and catch up with her?

ACI checked on that today, and apparently there was a camera on the second half of Brashear, and she wasn't on that one. But, he isn't certain about Cherry, maybe he will come back and post about that. As far as he said, the Cherry St was still an option.

I have been reading your ideas for days and I pray y'all find her. I appreciate all of you and your ideas.
There is something that has been nagging at me for over a week now: On the 25th, the media released the photo of MS in front of Circle K. At that time they also released the photo of the truck turning left in front of Circle K. {One of you said when you save the image to computer from LPD site the pic is named "truck (0151)" which is probably a reference to the time stamp since Versailles was labeled (0147), coinciding with that photo's time stamp.} But getting back to my post.... the newscaster clearly stated this was not the truck wanted.. but they were searching for the driver of a truck similar to this one... maybe a Z71 or (named some other model)... They went on to say that the truck in question had also been captured on camera traveling during the same time period as MS. I even heard Charlie say it on a news clip on TV.

I thought that made no sense... If they have an image of THE truck, why not show it. I assumed it was from another camera and they could not get it to the media in time for the news.
But the NEXT day, the evening news showed updated photos: the Olds on St. Landry and on University, the bedcover truck, AND a white truck in nearly the EXACT location and going in the same direction as MS in the "MS in front of Circle K" photo released the night before.
This has puzzled me..... If they had it, why not release it with the MS photo the night before? Why did they delay in releasing THE truck photo? Would LPD "alter" a photo? Was there more to eliminate in that photo than just cropping a time stamp?
A few threads back someone called LE and asked if the two trucks were the same and there was some comment about editing the photo, but enhancing with filters etc does not take that long.

So, what you are saying is you are confused about the three white trucks? Well join the club. Seriously, it has been a serious, confusing, drawn out, and unresolved discussion.

We know (or we think we know) that the truck with the bed cover heading north on University can be thrown out. Regarding the other two, there is still confusion. The general theory is that the bed cover truck and the truck in the left turning lane on St. Landry are the same. The truck facing away from the intersection that behind Mickey is the only photo of the VOI.

Why the police addressed the VOI like they did is bizarre.

You bring up a really good point. I do remember Charlie saying that. Hmm.

Hi, I live in Lafayette and when I first heard about the case my mind immediately went to a drunk driver (due to time of night and location near downtown). I assumed that he/she hit Mickey and panicked (knew he/she was going to go to jail for a long time and covered it up). I thought about the possibility that it could have been a fraternity guy headed back to the fraternity houses. If that's the case he could have possibly committed the crime and be back "home" (if home is not Lafayette) now since school is out for summer. Which could possibly explain LE still searching for this VOI?

Very sad situation either way.

Bumping this post for anyone who missed it. The article talks about the mini-task force assembled to review leads and the bike forensics.

I might be reading too much into it, but I did take note that there was no longer a reference to the FBI, at least on the mini-task force.

sorry if this has been said already, but what ever happened to the mace she had in her hand ?!?! if someone approached her in a wrong way, she would have maced them and would have gotten away..... so now i'm thinking ether the perp had to run into her bike with his truck, or she willing got into the truck for whatever reasons. what if he tapped her bike just hard enough to throw her off it and since he was coming from behind she didn't scream because she just didn't see it coming, so no screams... i 99% believe this truck is involved, just so strange how this person or persons had time to grab her and ALL of her belongings without leaving anything behind or anyone see this all go down. which leads me to believe she willing got into the truck for god only knows why. i pray every day they find her alive. and this mother *advertiser censored** gets what he deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reconman