LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't understand how they even know where to search -if they're not local - if they're not communicating with anyone.

Something's awry.

Actually I feel a little better now that I read this:

The new search team in town has decided to stay totally independent of the main Mickey Shunick volunteer search.

http://www.katc.com/news/independent-team-joins-search-for-mickey/

It sounds like the K-9 group is not communicating where they're searching with the volunteer search groups. I was thinking that they weren't communicating with LE.

The point is - I am not the only one who thinks there is an upsurge in crime in Lafayette, which is purposely being underreported to burnish the image of the city. There's a lawsuit over it. The chief is being sued. There's a huge PR push across the nation to attract companies to Lafayette.

I feel the area Mickey was biking had become notably unsafe, and it was allowed to slide, and so here we are.

And that's not the only lawsuit they're involved in. A trip to the courthouse would have some jaws dropping. Public record...serious issues...no reporting. Still think it wasn't odd for CAO to be present for that nighttime WB dive search?

From KATC:

...NOT communicating? At all?

Because that may insinuate that her family would be accepting the possibility that Mickey is no longer alive and based on Charlie's comments from 2 or 3 days ago, it doesn't sound like they are ready to do that. My opinion, of course.

It is technically a tunnel, but it's not really...Probably only about 20-30 feet in length, tops. It's really an underpass for pedestrians under a 4 lane roadway. It would be used anytime the Cajundome has an large event to get from the parking to the venue. I'm not saying they definitely checked it, but it would be really hard for someone to go unnoticed there for 17 days. So, that's good news at least?

ETA: The tunnel is ground level while the roadway is raised.

Ok, and are there any other tunnel systems under the campus quad? If you know.

I watched KLFY and also heard they were from Opelousas but the KATC website states they are Special K9 Recovery from TX...
http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/#fcanchor

According to this report, the K-9 search team is not communicating with the media, or with the main team of volunteer searchers. It does not say that they are not in communication with LE, however. Even though the reporter states that they are searching "on their own terms", and "doing their own thing", I have to wonder if isolating these searchers from the volunteers and media is to cut down on rumors and leaks in MSM and social media, and that they are working in conjunction with LE. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to make of it. MOO

Folks, we have another attempted biter now in Miami. I know this is OT, but it seems really important to be aware and make sure none of our kids are messing with this stuff. That's the third case I've heard of in the last week. It seems to turn people in to flesh-eating zombies. Make sure your kids are aware.

Just a snip of the article:

When he was finally detained by police, De Leon would repeatedly bang his head against the Plexiglas in the police car, yelling, “I’m going to eat you,” at a police officer, according to police reports. Media reports indicate that De Leon’s actions reached a level that police deemed it necessary to place the 21-year-old in a bite mask and leg restraints.

“Brandon growled and opened and closed his jaw,” the report said, “slamming his teeth like an animal would.”

Upon being arrested, police would find De Leon to be in possession of rum and a Four Loko. When he was transferred to the hospital for blood testing, it was discovered that De Leon was under the influence of “Cloud 9,” a type of bath salts. CBS News reports that his blood test also showed levels of Xanax and cannabis. The Daily Mail reports that De Leon’s blood-alcohol level was 0.29.

“I have no recollection of anything that happened that night,” De Leon said at his bond hearing Monday, according to CBS News.

LINK

I haven't heard of this till today! What's the deal? Are they being used recreationally or to impair someone? I read they cause suicidal tendencies. Why would someone want to do this to themselves &the how does this come into play with Mickey's case?

From the director of theNational institute on drug abuse (my funding agency). http://www.drugabuse.gov/about-nida...011/02/bath-salts-emerging-dangerous-products

Unfortunately IMO a lot of people, ESP teens or 20s, seem to think that because something is sold legally, you can take as much as you want, whenever you want, with whatever other drugs (eg alcohol) you want, with no consequences.

And that's not the only lawsuit they're involved in. A trip to the courthouse would have some jaws dropping. Public record...serious issues...no reporting. Still think it wasn't odd for CAO to be present for that nighttime WB dive search?

We have no serious reporting in this town. The free Independent is flaky and a loose cannon, and Gannett gutted the Daily Advertiser to basically a thin pamphlet, and has seemingly put the kibosh on serious investigative-reporting series. A properly functioning local media plays a vital role in helping people govern themselves.

We're not seeing it here in Lafayette.

By the way - the Shunick case is off the front page and now has a small lower-left box in Section B.

Understandable, as there is no new info.

Ok, and are there any other tunnel systems under the quad? If you know.

Nope. No other tunnel systems to my knowledge. Fun fact about Lafayette, and much of Louisiana: the water table is very high. Dig a few feet down, and you're hitting quite a bit of moisture. For this reason, we don't have many instances of basements, underground tunnels, etc.

Side note: I always thought my northern friends with their basements were so cool. Man does that add quite a bit of square footage to your house!

Folks, we have another attempted biter now in Miami. I know this is OT, but it seems really important to be aware and make sure none of our kids are messing with this stuff. That's the third case I've heard of in the last week. It seems to turn people in to flesh-eating zombies. Make sure your kids are aware.

Just a snip of the article:

LINK

Well, Xanax alone has significant amnestic effects. Dear god why do people feel compelled to ingest whatever s*** looks cool without a thought for what's in that snazzy wrapper and how it will affect their brains?

Ok, and are there any other tunnel systems under the quad? If you know.

No. It's s 15-ft wide, 20-foot deep simple pedestrian underpass to get to the Cajundome. Wide open and nothing is hiding there.

We need to remember that LE has intensively searched the obvious areas.

PlainJaneDoe, TY for offering your expertise. My question is not about bath salts, but Methamphetamine. It seems that many of the serial & sexual predator crimes that I have researched, more often than not, have meth as a common denominator. Can you explain what meth does to the mind that seems to breed psychopathic behavior. TIA

Foxfire, I am not PlainJaneDoe, but I will take a stab at your question.

Meth, in regard to the brain, affects the receptors in the brain causing them to release a massive surge of dopamine which causes a rush of pleasure sensation and a feeling of euphoria. The pleasure lasts for several minutes, and the euphoria lasts for several hours (6-12 hours depending on how much was ingested and how tolerant you are to the drug). Funny thing is, after meth destroys these receptors over time, it leaves the person unable to feel any pleasure. Ironic, no? It will change the brain chemistry of an addict over time.

It also stimulates a release of adrenaline. It increase anxiety, inability to sleep (sometimes for days), or increased attention. This is what is refered to as "tweaking". It makes the user hyperactive and obsessive. It can cause hallucinations and paranoia in heavy users. Some users get very agressive. It also causes an increase in confidence and sexual prowess and an idea that they are extremely desireable. Once they come down it is a low depression and they need to use again to achieve that pleasurable feeling. That is why it is so addictive.

The chemicals that meth is made out of are very poisonous and something not natural to the human body in any way. These toxins have to find a way out of the body (the body doesn't know what to do with them) and it is secreted in other than the normal ways such as the skin. That's why some tweakers have the sores that are common with meth abuse.

As for the sexual predator crimes, that ties in with the feelings of sexual prowess. I have been in plenty of houses where meth users reside and it is mind blowing. There is almost always a vast collection of *advertiser censored* (purchased and homemade) in the house and more often than not it is playing on all the televisions in the entire house 24/7. And this isn't your typical Playboy channel stuff either. This is the most disgusting stuff you can lay eyes on. There are sex toys and lubricants scattered everywhere in plain (and handy) view. It's all about the pleasure for these people. And sadly, many of these homes have children residing there. That's truly the worst part.

I apologize to PlainJaneDoe. I don't mean to step on your toes in any way, just thought I would answer this post. I have going on 10 years experience working for a narcotic law enforcement agency, so that is my knowledge base.

Because that may insinuate that her family would be accepting the possibility that Mickey is no longer alive and based on Charlie's comments from 2 or 3 days ago, it doesn't sound like they are ready to do that. My opinion, of course.

But the volunteer searches are surely not taking place in any areas where she could be found alive...IMO the only way she could be alive, would be on private property where only a SWAT team could eventually locate her...not any of the searcher on the ground, professional or otherwise...JMO

No. It's s 15-ft wide, 20-foot deep simple pedestrian underpass to get to the Cajundome. Wide open and nothing is hiding there.

We need to remember that LE has intensively searched the obvious areas.

Well, you do have sewage tunnels under the roadways right, and I'm just wondering which ones have been being worked on during the time Mickey went missing till now.

I mean I'm for talking OT on meth and bathsalts and the like, but I'm still searching for Mickey here.

PlainJaneDoe, TY for offering your expertise. My question is not about bath salts, but Methamphetamine. It seems that many of the serial & sexual predator crimes that I have researched, more often than not, have meth as a common denominator. Can you explain what meth does to the mind that seems to breed psychopathic behavior. TIA

Can I get back to you tomorrow? I have been reading some interesting papers about meth lately and I've been trying to think how the might apply to this very question.

Well, you do have sewage tunnels under the roadways right, and I'm just wondering which ones have been being worked on during the time Mickey went missing till now.

Sewage tunnels under the roadways...we must, right? Never thought about it until you just mentioned it. But, even with the water table, yes, we must. I know New Orleans (bringing it up, but for a neutral reason!) does, because my great grandfather used to work for the city and have to go down in them.

We're not talking a sewage system like New York though...more just very small pipes (4-5 feet in diameter?).

Foxfire, I am not PlainJaneDoe, but I will take a stab at your question.

Meth, in regard to the brain, affects the receptors in the brain causing them to release a massive surge of dopamine which causes a rush of pleasure sensation and a feeling of euphoria. The pleasure lasts for several minutes, and the euphoria lasts for several hours (6-12 hours depending on how much was ingested and how tolerant you are to the drug). Funny thing is, after meth destroys these receptors over time, it leaves the person unable to feel any pleasure. Ironic, no? It will change the brain chemistry of an addict over time.

It also stimulates a release of adrenaline. It increase anxiety, inability to sleep (sometimes for days), or increased attention. This is what is refered to as "tweaking". It makes the user hyperactive and obsessive. It can cause hallucinations and paranoia in heavy users. Some users get very agressive. It also causes an increase in confidence and sexual prowess and an idea that they are extremely desireable. Once they come down it is a low depression and they need to use again to achieve that pleasurable feeling. That is why it is so addictive.

The chemicals that meth is made out of are very poisonous and something not natural to the human body in any way. These toxins have to find a way out of the body (the body doesn't know what to do with them) and it is secreted in other than the normal ways such as the skin. That's why some tweakers have the sores that are common with meth abuse.

As for the sexual predator crimes, that ties in with the feelings of sexual prowess. I have been in plenty of houses where meth users reside and it is mind blowing. There is almost always a vast collection of *advertiser censored* (purchased and homemade) in the house and more often than not it is playing on all the televisions in the entire house 24/7. And this isn't your typical Playboy channel stuff either. This is the most disgusting stuff you can lay eyes on. There are sex toys and lubricants scattered everywhere in plain (and handy) view. It's all about the pleasure for these people. And sadly, many of these homes have children residing there. That's truly the worst part.

I apologize to PlainJaneDoe. I don't mean to step on your toes in any way, just thought I would answer this post. I have going on 10 years experience working for a narcotic law enforcement agency, so that is my knowledge base.

No, please, not at all! Your answer was great and quite thorough. :) For a grant im writing, ive been doing a lot of reading about how psychostimulants have complex effects on serotonin in large part because of how they affect different populations of receptors at different doses. Hence, the range of effects seen on behaviors associated with anxiety, defense, aggression, and response to natural reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3