LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so too i have felt that from day one!
I agree. There can be (is this the correct word?) tangential people in your life, even an oldster like me, that you know, indirectly, & have a nodding acquaintance with, see only now & then. But you don't really know them, so your friends or family may not know of them. You may not have mentioned them unless the need arose.

GEEZ LOUISE!!! There was a sinister undercurrent to this conversation that finally reared its head:
- New Orleans is full of thugs.
- Katrina sent those thugs to Lafayette.
- Those thugs weren't dealt with by the local police.
- Because of that, something happened to Mickey.
Consequently, New Orleans is to blame for Mickey's disappearance?

I have nothing but appreciation for the hard work and positivity of the posters in this forum. What I've seen here has helped me cope with a tragedy surrounding someone I don't know, but who I am connected to in several ways. Without the sense of forward progress I got from these discussions, I'd probably be under my blankets right now.

You all are smart people. There's some truth to what you're saying. But the issues you all are speaking of are much more complicated than you are acknowledging. I am a lifelong New Orleans resident, married to another lifelong New Orleans resident, who has never committed a violent act and is NOT an exception because of that fact.

This discussion is off-task for the thread, prejudiced, and--in my opinion--damaging to the good work we've done.

Lafayette has problems. New Orleans has problems. Some politicians are corrupt. Many mistakes have been made. The problems have gotten worse in some ways. But the root of these issues cannot be reduced to one thing, and I think you all know that.

I'm in favor of setting aside ALL big city vs. small town pettiness until Mickey is brought home or until another forum is created for us to have it out. We're better than this.

I think you're misinterpreting the intent of my comments. I am not being petty and not trying to target New Orleans, and certainly wasn't targeting people like you or your wife. I'm also not going to play sides in any battle over this. I am providing facts on the ground as I see them, and was specifically discussing the changed atmosphere in Lafayette, and I also am not blaming New Orleans for Mickey's disappearance.

And yes, it is a complicated situation. this case is a lot more complicated, too.

The crime stats are valid, and the safety of the area is a valid discussion.

I'm not going to mention New Orleans anymore.. I do think it interesting that you're a lifelong New Orleanean, trying to tell a Lafayette local how things are in a town he lives in and you don't. And I am not "prejudiced," either.

I'm not trying to be unpleasant, and will stop the "debate" here, for my part.

That's why I don't think it's unusual that no one's come forward about witnessing anything.

People generally don't see what they're not looking for.

ITA!!

Im ready to pack up tha truck and head to LA. Time to teach EVERYBODY to always be on alert. Its habit and MUST just MUST become the norm.

Ill go out there, any where, screamin look around you, just ask my kids.

Theres always a boogieman around just waiting, and no Im not paranoid.

AND THE PEOPLE AT THAT GAS STATION ARE Weird. I hafta say I avoid going to that gas station because I feel like half the employees are ex-cons. JUST IMHO.

Awe:( That's Russell's station, been going there since I can remember! Only station I know of in Lafayette that's still full service!)

I think so too i have felt that from day one!

I really didn't, I try to think of alternatives before I finally settle but honestly, I've researched just about every other angle and nothing and I do mean NOTHING, is there. Even that girl that says she was picked up by the guy in a white truck, that doesn't even add up to me. If he wanted to kill her, he would have done it, and he didn't. So, something else is amiss here.

If this hasn't yet been posted yet.. just heard on the radio an woman was raped here in Lafayette, either today or last night. A 19-y.o. man broke into her house. While he was raping her the T-shirt he had over his head fell off. She recognized him. He's in jail. I have no other details.
Awful sick. I do not know about anyone one else, but I wonder how MS is holding up. I am about to collapse, starving for good food for about 2 weeks now. scared to leave my house. Today I watched kids go by at the cam at the school on Versailles and I thought ' I wish I was so young and innocent'.

I think these crimes as stated above start happening when the old social barriers begin to fall.

Not to mention the walls that have completely started tumbling down; a friend's home had a fence torn down in Katrina. She was robbed by someone who came in through her sliding glass door because the fence was down....

I cannot help but think lots of fences are still down both externally and internally in this state.

Is there a tailgate on the back of that truck? Or is that one of those pipe looking ones that is removable. I never looked at that picture that good till now. I don't like the shadows on the ground. Also, looks like they are not even straight in their lane.

Awful sick. I do not know about anyone one else, but I wonder how MS is holding up. I am about to collapse, starving for good food for about 2 weeks now. scared to leave my house. Today I watched kids go by at the cam at the school on Versailles and I thought ' I wish I was so young and innocent'.

I think these crimes as stated above start happening when the old social barriers begin to fall.

Not to mention the walls that have completely started tumbling down; a friend's home had a fence torn down in Katrina. She was robbed by someone who came in through her sliding glass door because the fence was down....

I cannot help but think lots of fences are still down both externally and internally in this state.

Shelly, are you hearing me at all? You will be fine. No one is out there snatching people off the streets!!

ITA!!

Im ready to pack up tha truck and head to LA. Time to teach EVERYBODY to always be on alert. Its habit and MUST just MUST become the norm.

Ill go out there, any where, screamin look around you, just ask my kids.

Theres always a boogieman around just waiting, and no Im not paranoid.
Lol. We will never be New Yorkers....

Is there a tailgate on the back of that truck? Or is that one of those pipe looking ones that is removable. I never looked at that picture that good till now. I don't like the shadows on the ground. Also, looks like they are not even straight in their lane.

Point out to me whatchu talking about.

Awe:( That's Russell's station, been going there since I can remember! Only station I know of in Lafayette that's still full service!)

Oh! I'm thinking of the Hit and Run across the street. The one right at the corner is great, they do very "quick inspections" and inexpensive oil changes.

Why the h.... would MS alter her route at 2 am in the middle of the night to go down coliseum when she usually takes a left at St Julien? I can only think the PERP went with her; otherwise she would not have altered her route like that. anyone agree?

If she realized that someone was following her earlier on her route, why not turn into the Circle K when she passed it? She could go inside and call BW or one of her friends at the diner to come pick her up or follow her home. This makes me think she wasn't followed until after that Circle K pic or didn't realize it until after or wasn't really tailed by someone at all.

You may want to consider going to a counselor about your fear, if it is keeping you in your house. Most people are good, and if you don't go riding a bike at 2 a.m. through a deserted section of town, you will be fine. Living life in fear lets criminals win and reduces one's quality of life.

One possibility is that LE may have already honed in on their prime suspect, and they don't want to tip them off to that fact while they dutifully build their case against that person. That person would be under constant surveillance in the meantime while LE awaits that magic moment of having probable cause for arrest.

Of course that's sheer conjecture...and I could be way off on the matter.

I so admire your optimism, and like any other theory, it's possible.
Many of us have had that same sort of hope on previous cases that are still waiting to be resolved....Kyron Horman, Holly Bobo, Lauren Spierer are ones that come to mind. With little info coming from LE to the public on these missing folks, we WANTED to believe LE had the suspect in their sights but were just gathering probable cause. In Kyron's case, LE told us it would be wrapped up in a week. That was 2 years ago. :(

I do not want to dash hopes here, and I have MUCH admiration and appreciation for LE. I just haven't recently followed a case where it happened that LE knew who they were after and then several weeks later nabbed him when all their ducks were in a row. Maybe some other members have different experiences and could discount my opinion, and frankly, I'd be thrilled and delighted to hear that. I have not enjoyed developing this pessimistic attitude in my old age.

I so admire your optimism, and like any other theory, it's possible.
Many of us have had that same sort of hope on previous cases that are still waiting to be resolved....Kyron Horman, Holly Bobo, Lauren Spierer are ones that come to mind. With little info coming from LE to the public on these missing folks, we WANTED to believe LE had the suspect in their sights but were just gathering probable cause. In Kyron's case, LE told us it would be wrapped up in a week. That was 2 years ago. :(

I do not want to dash hopes here, and I have MUCH admiration and appreciation for LE. I just haven't recently followed a case where it happened that LE knew who they were after and then several weeks later nabbed him when all their ducks were in a row. Maybe some other members have different experiences and could discount my opinion, and frankly, I'd be thrilled and delighted to hear that. I have not enjoyed developing this pessimistic attitude in my old age.

This may end up being a special case. Sometimes LE figures out which group of people knows something, and then it's a question of how to shake the tree.

From TES's website:

Texas EquuSearch has been involved in 1,170+ searches in approximately 42 states in the United States, Aruba, Sri Lanka, Mexico, Jamaica, Dominican Republic and Nicaragua. Our efforts have proven successful with returning over 300 missing people home to their families safely, many of which would have been deceased. Texas EquuSearch is responsible for recovering the remains of 136 missing loved ones, bringing closure to many families. Many of the 118 cases have resulted in criminal cases. At no time during any of the searches was evidence compromised by Texas EquuSearch. Therefore, the suspect(s) were brought to justice resulting in convictions. Additionally, Mr. Miller has been involved in several murder trials.

http://texasequusearch.org/board-of-directors/
This is truly astounding. I often wonder what circumstances would cause me to suddenly change the course of my life. I would not want it to be a murdered child. And to keep doing this and reaching out when one's heart cannot be broken any more. I commend TES; I would have handed the reigns over to someone else long ago.

I really didn't, I try to think of alternatives before I finally settle but honestly, I've researched just about every other angle and nothing and I do mean NOTHING, is there. Even that girl that says she was picked up by the guy in a white truck, that doesn't even add up to me. If he wanted to kill her, he would have done it, and he didn't. So, something else is amiss here.

The guy that dropped the girl off at Walgreen's told on himself when he admitted to riding around searching for pretty girls so that was probably not the first time he had seen that girl. As much as Mickey rode her bike, he would have seen HER several times and maybe even talked to her a time or two. Just creepy...

I may not be back on here for a while. I am exhausted. Keep up the good work everyone. LOVE LOVE LOVE
I'm really picturing them to be something like this but silver: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5095/5471618243_7238fb4c9b.jpg

I think they might be as sturdy as any other shoes to bike in? But, I'm also one who'd bike in sandals (with straps, not flip flops!). As long as they strap to my feet!

She was going out, and she does have a hipster style, so I think the silver boots are totally in line with what she'd normally wear when riding her bike for transportation, rather than exercise?

Folks, I apologize for not yet posting any other maps. I have been having to play catch-up on several things in my life that couldn't be neglected any longer. I will work on that as soon as I can. Meanwhile, A.C.I has been doing great work that addresses many of the camera issues.

The guy that dropped the girl off at Walgreen's told on himself when he admitted to riding around searching for pretty girls so that was probably not the first time he had seen that girl. As much as Mickey rode her bike, he would have seen HER several times and maybe even talked to her a time or two. Just creepy...

Yeah, that's creepy, but not like Mickey's case, it's like someone knew just where she would be and when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne