LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think the only real lifestyle risk she had was the unfortunate feeling of invincibility that allowed her to bike around the city alone in the middle of the night. I respect that fearlessness and am sad that we live in a society where it can cost beautiful people to lose their lives.

*By beautiful I don't mean physical beauty. I think every person is beautiful and has the potential to be something.

That's an awfully wide brush you're using to paint the South. Contrary to what you seem to think, there are plenty of openly gay people here.

If you need proof, just listen to the Advertiser's video interview with Brettly Wilson. Everyone seems to forget about that one.

I'm only asking questions. Why are people so touchy? Questions aren't meant to be against anybody. Come to think of it, my cousin lives in Atlanta and is a prominent artist. When peeps are young, it's hard to find your footing sometimes.

Like Lindsay said, LE has talked to all Mickey's peeps. Whoever has taken her, for whatever reason, I just hope and pray he/she/they are caught and soon.

Possibly. I was thinking more along the lines of a "jock." Kind of like the antithesis of hipster.

I'm not caught up yet, and this may have been mentioned already, but - possibly married man??

I'm not sure what the laws are regarding something like this when it is a PI, but a regular citizen releasing a "sketch" of someone and accusing them of a crime could be grounds for a civil suit.

I'm wondering if it could be grounds for a civil suit if they were indeed arrested and found to be innocent but if never arrested. And then found guilty then I doubt it. Because if a sketch were released it doesn't exactly single out specifically " one person " in particular but everybody who resembles the sketch. Its not like a name. Not even like a photo. It is a drawing. And furthermore I they were found guilty o the crime then that kind of eliminates grounds for civil suit. IMO.

I'm just reading, trying to catch up.

Nothing to add that we haven't gone over.

Hoping.....

Is it out out the realm of possibilities that MS did arrive home, slept in her bed and left early the next morning to head to the stables on her bike?

This never occurred to me. How do they know she never made it home? Hmm
Thanks Isabelle!

Some Sikh taxi drivers with beards and turbans were murdered in the USA after 9/11 because people thought they were Moslem.

Plenty of people of Middle Eastern descent were targets of violence for similarly convoluted motives in New York City, and not just after September 11th. A banker stabbed a cab driver last year, and a documentary filmmaker did it the year before. And don't forget the brief reign of terror of the serial killer who targeted men he believed to be Muslim there, either.

Ignorance is ignorance, and it's not limited by region.

Thanks Isabelle!

I would assume she'd have changed clothes and they would've found the clothes she was wearing the night before in her house.

And I wasn't even trying to find a motive necessarily for the crime. I was simply trying to narrow (or widen, depending on how you look at it) the pool of potential suspects.

Nothing a person could ever do would make it ok for another person to harm them.

Yes, that is how I read it. That is what I am doing also and I believe it's important.

The defensiveness I am seeing in some tells me that objectivity is being lost in favor of looking at things through a subjective lens. I think we need to keep an open mind about every possibility.

okay, there's an elephant in the room. Respect expected? yes. Free speech expected? yes.

Let's not argue because we can't hear each other anyway.

I'm wondering if it could be grounds for a civil suit if they were indeed arrested and found to be innocent but if never arrested. And then found guilty then I doubt it. Because if a sketch were released it doesn't exactly single out specifically " one person " in particular but everybody who resembles the sketch. Its not like a name. Not even like a photo. It is a drawing. And furthermore I they were found guilty o the crime then that kind of eliminates grounds for civil suit. IMO.

I wonder if there is any precedent for this. Will have to do some searching.

If someone is ALWAYS reliable and they are not reachable by phone (it is going to voice mail immediately) and none of their friends know where they are, I am not going to putter around for most of the day wondering. I'm going to be calling hospitals and even jails looking for the them. The police would be called within an hour or two, not 10.5 hours later.

i'm not sure what you're getting at. the family called the police when they realized she didn't show up to the graduation.

you would call the police before you knew someone was missing?

8am-1130am is only three and a half hours.

where are you getting 10.5 hours from?

ETA: i see the 10.5 time frame you're referencing.

Yes, that is how I read it. That is what I am doing also and I believe it's important.

The defensiveness I am seeing in some tells me that objectivity is being lost in favor of looking at things through a subjective lens. I think we need to keep an open mind about every possibility.

Exactly! You never really know how a person truly is until you do some digging into their life and their past.

If most victims of murder know their killer, looking at the victim is the most important thing we can do.

There was a woman murdered in her home in CO several years ago. She was a single mother with a nice house and a day job. It wasn't until police did some digging that they found she moonlighted as an internet call girl. Looks can really be deceiving.

i'm not sure what you're getting at. the family called the police when they realized she didn't show up to the graduation.

you would call the police before you knew someone was missing?

8am-1130am is only three and a half hours.

where are you getting 10.5 hours from?

They called the police at 6:30 PM and were then told to call around to hospitals to see if they had her or any Jane Does.

No, Charlie stated that they were getting 'mad' at Mickey for being so late.
They weren't thinking she was gone of course. I can understand that - my mom gets 'mad' at me when I'm late because it inconveniences her and/or worries her.

That said, to me that would imply that MS isn't always on time/there when she's supposed to be. If it was somebody who is always on time, you'd go right to worried skipping the mad. :twocents:

I think it was probably more casual than it sounds. Typical family stuff.
"what the heck? Why isn't she here? I'm gonna kick her butt if she misses this."

Without knowing something awful's happened, people say things like that all the time.

When I was in college I always wanted to sleep at home in my own bed. There are lots of reasons she may have not slept over at peoples houses. Saying that she does not have boyfriends does seem like unusual wording that could imply that she prefers girls. Or, these words may have come from a stressed loved one that simply meant she has no current bf's.
I would guess that MS's family is open minded...just a guess. The girls have the piercings and MS a tattoo. MS seems pretty sure of herself and spunky from what I have read (talking back to the security guard...). Anyway, I think her family would know if she was lesbian.
I have read about hate crimes against gay men. Not so much about lesbians, at least not physical crimes. But anything is possible. I just want her to be ok, home and undamaged.

Thanks Isabelle!

She could have made it home to pick something up before her father was awakened at 2:30. I don't think that's what happened, but it's not impossible.

When I was in college I always wanted to sleep at home in my own bed. There are lots of reasons she may have not slept over at peoples houses. Saying that she does not have boyfriends does seem like unusual wording that could imply that she prefers girls. Or, these words may have come from a stressed loved one that simply meant she has no current bf's.
I would guess that MS's family is open minded...just a guess. The girls have the piercings and MS a tattoo. MS seems pretty sure of herself and spunky from what I have read (talking back to the security guard...). Anyway, I think her family would know if she was lesbian.
I have read about hate crimes against gay men. Not so much about lesbians, at least not physical crimes. But anything is possible. I just want her to be ok, home and undamaged.

There was a lesbian couple in my hometown about ten years ago that had their house burned down. They were home at the time and could have been injured or killed. It was prosecuted as a hate crime.

Wow! Too often, the public tries to find a reason why something horrible would happen to another human being. I think comments like yours are a good example. Sorry Nutkin, but I think you are out of line. :seeya:

There is a clear reason. Mickey set out to ride her bike home at 2AM in the morning. That is the major reason in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3