LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a little OCD with all the pics out there. Figured out how to post them.

One of the pics shows the car at the ATM ? by the school blown up. Looks like a man leaning over the passenger side. My friend is just convinced that this car has something to do with it and that Mickey is just leaning on the bike rubbing her head. Ugh.

For those of you tired of the white truck...odd that there is one in every pic. The school pic even shows one coming down behind her.

When I first saw and read the Find Mickey event invite I received from a friend, it had the truck going in the opposite direction as Mickey and Mickey alone. Charlene and several people posted several posts that said, ATTENTION THIS IS NOT THE ACTUAL TRUCK but ONE LIKE it WITH 4 doors, and similar features. That WE ARE LOOKING FOR. Obviously LE had started with recent video and was working their way backwards to find and capture a good shot of the white truck. Then and "updated" photo of the white truck which showed a Z71 traveling behind Mickey on St. Landry as well as two new photos of vehicles of interest. The car and the truck with a bed cover both seen in the area in around where Mickey was last seen. Which cause ultimate chaos concerning trucks and which and what was what. Then relased statements saying the Z71 had followed her from Versallius, but that a clear photo was not or could not be released. I believe there are three different trucks that look somewhat alike although LE told a sleuther here they were the same. I think that was to keep everyone reporting all 4 door white trucks, like a drag net. Just to rule them out. As that seems to be the only lead they have.

Now having said all that.. when I first looked at the photo (small) of her on Versallius by the school, it looked to me like her arm/hand was up blocking something, like something being thrown at her, or shielding her eyes to see who was talking/speaking to her. Instant interpretation. The more I looked the less I saw. I actually see two people by the car. One bent down or sitting down by the license plate and one leaning over the trunk on the passenger side facing Mickey. Or, I could just be seeing and thinking things that just aren't there. :)

I'm just jumping in here but where did they find her bike? Sorry I know that people hate rehashing but there is absolutely no way I can read twenty-something threads and get caught up. I have read most of whats going on.

Seems like the something that the store owners should be asking the cops to do but the store owners may be like the patrons.

It sounds like the cops in Lafayette look the other way while the inmates literally run the asylum.

When I first saw and read the Find Mickey event invite I received from a friend, it had the truck going in the opposite direction as Mickey and Mickey alone. Charlene and several people posted several posts that said, ATTENTION THIS IS NOT THE ACTUAL TRUCK but ONE LIKE it WITH 4 doors, and similar features. That WE ARE LOOKING FOR. Obviously LE had started with recent video and was working their way backwards to find and capture a good shot of the white truck. Then and "updated" photo of the white truck which showed a Z71 traveling behind Mickey on St. Landry as well as two new photos of vehicles of interest. The car and the truck with a bed cover both seen in the area in around where Mickey was last seen. Which cause ultimate chaos concerning trucks and which and what was what. Then relased statements saying the Z71 had followed her from Versallius, but that a clear photo was not or could not be released. I believe there are three different trucks that look somewhat alike although LE told a sleuther here they were the same. I think that was to keep everyone reporting all 4 door white trucks, like a drag net. Just to rule them out. As that seems to be the only lead they have.

Now having said all that.. when I first looked at the photo (small) of her on Versallius by the school, it looked to me like her arm/hand was up blocking something, like something being thrown at her, or shielding her eyes to see who was talking/speaking to her. Instant interpretation. The more I looked the less I saw. I actually see two people by the car. One bent down or sitting down by the license plate and one leaning over the trunk on the passenger side facing Mickey. Or, I could just be seeing and thinking things that just aren't there. :)

That Versailles pic has always perplexed me. For starters, that car has no business being there that time of night. Then there's the whited out portion that looks like a sloppy photoshop. Then there's what clearly looks like a vehicle following her with its lights off, possible a truck. And why would she turn left onto Versailles from Parkside instead of either crossing over and continuing to University or making a right on Versailles to intersect with University.

I'm just jumping in here but where did they find her bike? Sorry I know that people hate rehashing but there is absolutely no way I can read twenty-something threads and get caught up. I have read most of whats going on.

They found her bike at I-10 exit 127 heading east, at what is known as Whiskey Bay, in the pilot channel that runs north/south, partially submerged in water near the bridge pilings.

It sounds like the cops in Lafayette look the other way while the inmates literally run the asylum.

You know, I have heard for years and years that the cops won't go alone into The Block area but it's never changed. There are boarded up houses, overgrown yards, a general feel of slovenliness and hopelessness there but it thrives, riddled with crime then and now.

This whole thing with the PD that's simmering close to a boil now with these suits and now a countersuit exacerbates the whole thing and I believe is in some way responsible for the silence from LE on the MS case.

Geez, I didn't even pay attention to that! My God, could it be they attacked Mickey?
(regarding muggings on Jefferson St ).

I have wondered the same as someone I know ( a white male with long curly blondish-brown hair) was assaulted in this fashion (not robbed-just beaten) on may 5 - Exactly two weeks before- about 2 AM. It is .7 miles between 500 Jefferson and 216 St Landry, and my phone app takes me half of that route down St John St starting close to where Mickey was seen near the school & bank on Versailles.

The way the person I know described to me what happened made me question if there were any gangs downtown and I asked other locals and no-one knew. After Mickeys disappearance I spoke with a detective who said this has been going on- a group of black guys taking advantage of white intoxicated males and robbing them. In the case I know of specifically they were not robbed nor did the downtown police show up nor were they called by anyone apparently.

Technically, I think it would be considered on the boundary between the two. The Block is like no-man's land, an entity unto itself.

I used to live in Long Beach, CA, and I worked in LA on the border of Compton, where the movie Colors was shot. I rescued dogs all over the worst neighborhoods. I was fearless and determined. I understand Mickey's thinking that she would be okay, though I can see why she wouldn't be. My concern was getting caught in a drive by or held up at gunpoint. Abduction wasn't something at the top of my list. Helping those dogs was one of the greatest achievements of my life but I shudder at some of the places I spent time in.

Is that the north side?

My opinions only, no facts here:

I have found no other pics, except the 3 you link on your posts, that I can do anything with when it comes to enhancement. How far down the road beyond the gas station would you reckon that MS could have been abducted?

In the bike photo, the front wheel looks to be about 10 degrees left of the rear wheel-travel direction. This suggests a leisurely speed and no sense of impending danger. Based upon activity in the gas station, the white truck has traveled in the same direction and fairly closely behind MS. I cannot distinguish any significant difference the the mph of the two white truck photos (traveling in different directions a short time apart) in front of the gas station.

The Z71 logo may be visible on the earlier white truck pic (a slight reddish coloration and horizontal pixels), but I cannot make out a similar effect on the white truck that was later? traveling the opposite direction of MS. But to me, both trucks still look approximately the same.

I thought I would be ready to post my updated images yesterday. But I am still working on them.

I have wondered the same as someone I know ( a white male with long curly blondish-brown hair) was assaulted in this fashion (not robbed-just beaten) on may 5 - Exactly two weeks before- about 2 AM. It is .7 miles between 500 Jefferson and 216 St Landry, and my phone app takes me half of that route down St John St starting close to where Mickey was seen near the school & bank on Versailles.

The way the person I know described to me what happened made me question if there were any gangs downtown and I asked other locals and no-one knew. After Mickeys disappearance I spoke with a detective who said this has been going on- a group of black guys taking advantage of white intoxicated males and robbing them. In the case I know of specifically they were not robbed nor did the downtown police show up nor were they called by anyone apparently.

I have been hearing about this now for quite some time. It seems to be pure racial stuff, black on white, and designed to intimidate, show power, and terrorize. There is definitely a gang element in Lafayette that was not there pre-Katrina; also in New Iberia from what I hear, also since Katrina. They migrated over and set up shop.

The kids, the ones who like the bar scene downtown, don't seem to be letting it stop them from partying there. OTOH, I know many who wouldn't EVER go downtown to the bars, for that very reason. It's dangerous.

In addition to what Schmidty said, it's the same place that a serial killer dumped two of his victims.

I used to live in Long Beach, CA, and I worked in LA on the border of Compton, where the movie Colors was shot. I rescued dogs all over the worst neighborhoods. I was fearless and determined. I understand Mickey's thinking that she would be okay, though I can see why she wouldn't be. My concern was getting caught in a drive by or held up at gunpoint. Abduction wasn't something at the top of my list. Helping those dogs was one of the greatest achievements of my life but I shudder at some of the places I spent time in.

Artis, you sound like a tough cookie. Your anarchist leanings support that impression. :)

I understand Mickey's thinking too and a big part of it is her age. I used to think I was so safe at that age and looking back can't believe some of the really stupid things I did -- and survived.

Good on ya for taking care of the dogs.

That Versailles pic has always perplexed me. For starters, that car has no business being there that time of night. Then there's the whited out portion that looks like a sloppy photoshop. Then there's what clearly looks like a vehicle following her with its lights off, possible a truck. And why would she turn left onto Versailles from Parkside instead of either crossing over and continuing to University or making a right on Versailles to intersect with University.

The car may have been at the bank ATM which is a walk up.
Parkside from Versailles to University is a one way in the opposite direction and is very narrow and dark at night. Turning right at Versailles would have brought her to University where I would not have felt safe riding my bike on
as it would put you in front of a closed school and then a cemetery and closed businesses. There is some false security I think in riding in front of St Johns cathedral instead. Also, less traffic. Keep in mind too that as a student on a bike she was used to taking this route from/ to BW's in the daytime as well
and this route may have proven to be faster with less traffic over to campus.

Although I can see what may be a shadow or figure by the car in the Versailles pic and the odd white area I can't see anything following her.

Parkside from Versailles to University is a one way in the opposite direction and is very narrow and dark at night. Turning right at Versailles would have brought her to University where I would not have felt safe riding my bike on
as it would put you in front of a closed school and then a cemetery and closed businesses. There is some false security I think in riding in front of St Johns cathedral instead. Also, less traffic. Keep in mind too that as a student on a bike she was used to taking this route from/ to BW's in the daytime as well

Although I can see what may be a shadow or figure by the car in the Versailles pic and the odd white area I can't see anything following her.

See the box in this pic, I think it was posted by mamamia54: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=22843&d=1338341593

The car is too far down Versailles, imo, to be using the ATM. Yes, I know what you mean about those streets. I've ridden them all in daylight, many many times and know them and the Saints Streets area like the back of my hand. I would never consider riding them at night, alone, now or back when I used to ride that area.

If there are gangs, you know it. They tag everything and their manner of dress is unmistakable. And that damn music is always blaring from their cars. Could be some nascent gangs budding, especially with the influx after Katrina. A lot of NOLA thugs also moved to Houston where the crime rate shot way up.

I don't think that the possibility of these attacks and Mickey's disappearance can be dismissed.It may be unlikely because those dirtbags don't usually abduct, but they are violent criminals and may do anything they think they can get away with.

more lights and camera and aware enough to know a truck was following her from parkside?

Artis, you sound like a tough cookie. Your anarchist leanings support that impression. :)

I understand Mickey's thinking too and a big part of it is her age. I used to think I was so safe at that age and looking back can't believe some of the really stupid things I did -- and survived.

Good on ya for taking care of the dogs.

I'm not tough at all! Just a huge animal rights person. Animals in need were always in my face in LA so I did what I had to do.

If there are gangs, you know it. They tag everything and their manner of dress is unmistakable. And that damn music is always blaring from their cars. Could be some nascent gangs budding, especially with the influx after Katrina. A lot of NOLA thugs also moved to Houston where the crime rate shot way up.

I don't think that the possibility of these attacks and Mickey's disappearance can be dismissed.It may be unlikely because those dirtbags don't usually abduct, but they are violent criminals and may do anything they think they can get away with.

Another concern of mine is the locals ...the kids that may have a propensity to be troublemakers but keep it to a certain level. With the influx of the hardcore gang types from NO right into the high schools, I think some of these local kids found that crap right down their alley and emulated them. The effect on Lafayette has been wide ranging and long lasting, I'm afraid. We'll never be the town we were before Katrina and that saddens me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
N0ShytSherlock