LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that light we are seeing on Mickey's tire is the reflector on the bike "catching light". If so this concerns me a bit.

LA
What is on the opposite side of the street? Are there businesses, lights, anything that could be caught by the reflector?

[

I know little about canine searches, but if the dog jumped up on a guard's vehicle, would that indicate that a scent was being hit on, or just that the canine officer was leading the dog in that direction for a rule out. I guess if there was even a slight hit - the media would have reported this long ago, right?

<sigh>
I have been thinking about the use of dogs as well. How is there no trace when the dogs were sent out? Where the dogs searching in the wrong place?
Just seems odd. No way perp could get rid of her scent completely.

LA

Depends. ( A lot of help that was :giggle: )

What was the dog that was used trained for? Was it trained as a scent, blood, cadaver dog etc.

If the dog showed some interest in the truck the handler I would think would of had it go on the truck bed as well as inside. Then again I would think that a good handler would do this anyway.

In the Lisa Irwin case sarx and Oriah have answered many questions with respect to what the different dogs react to, the certifications etc.

Here is the link to the start of the thread.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152258"]Human Remains (*cadaver) Detection (HRD) dog questions and answers **NO DISCUSSION** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

HTH's as there is a great deal of information on what these dogs can do.

We have images of Mickey already past the sign. I don't see any of what you are seeing.

you may see whatever you like, and I'm not aware of ANY photos or videos of Mickey past this point AT ALL. PROVE IT!!

they didn't say what her ride was, if they did see her. on foot,bike, in a car, truck..in a subsequent video

frankly I think they gave us the slip on the grips "found at the scene".. I heard one account of the grips being submerged with the bike, but I didn't hear the cop at press conference by the bay say that. At "the scene" could also mean 'scene of the crime' IMO. The bike's handle bars are so sawed off and narrow, a big stilted truck like that could clear many objects that lower vehicles could not.
Reverse gear might indicate the bike got wedged under the truck. The handlebars are the most likely point of contact, on the right side making contact with the hot hot oil pan and exhaust area, and on th left, getting scraped along the asphalt.

I'll repeat that pressure washers and truck parts were discovered missing from the scene of an arson fire that morning. Pressure washers do what is implied, and they run on gas, no electricity needed. If one returned with a hard hat, some orange safety garb, and some pressure washers, one is considered a road worker, not a person of interest... street gleaming with spic and span-ness.
Wouldn't someone at the gas station have seen something? Is the gas station open 24 hours?

Not sure which specific enhancements were used, but I took the pic and used an app I have, clicked "random effect" and got this image...I thought it really made whatever is in the bed of the truck more noticeable. It's hard to tell if the figure is large enough to be a person, when you compare its size to the tire size.View attachment 23717

I have always thought that it's a person sitting on the back of the truck with their legs crossed. Many southern girls are taught to sit that way, and most of us always do.

LA

Uhm, IMO Andy Griffith or Matlock would of solved this case already.:flashback:

Andy and Matlock did always get the bad guy.
So did Macgyver and Magnium.
I have hope that ACI will too.

To those who think the truck ran over her I have a few questions:
1) How long do you think it would take for the driver to run over her, clear her from under his truck, pick up the bike and put it in the back, sweep up every speck of debris, and then wash all the blood away with a mop and a bucket he just happened to have in his truck?
2) Let's be generous and say this would take three minutes. How did the people gassing up not see any of this?
3) How could the employee in the store not see any of this?
4). How could the various cars that passed along University, a pretty busy arterial street, not have seen anything when this happened about ten yards from University.
5) why is there no video of any of this from the same camera that captured Mickey on her bike?
6) what purpose would the police have in lying to the public by not telling us about this footage they have of the truck running over her?
7) why would the police waste thousands of man hours in a search for her?
8). Why would they go further along her possible route and ask businesses and homes for video of that night if they knew all along it was run over?
9) How could the driver have cleaned up so thoroughly that not one tiny drop of blood was found or one small piece of her bicycle when this exact area has been searched by many fairly soon after she went missing?

Thanks for looking at these questions. I hope you can come up with logical answers for them.

----------
That is probably correct, and, sorry, but I have said so myself, there probably would have been evidence of that nature.

Then, I proposed a different theory, one that wouldn't involve her getting hit, or thrown on the road.

That theory would be that the DWT was initially ahead of her and as she passed by, she was grabbed somehow through an open window, possibly by her backpack, subdued in some way (taser?), to the rh side of the truck, the bike slid under the truck (accounting for the light under the truck). The truck backs up.

Never mind. There's no way of knowing, without our seeing the entire video.
I think you make some interesting and thought provoking points. Just trying to play devil's advocate.

l.jpg

A whole lot of crimes remain unsolved...and it does not mean that the criminals are such geniuses or that LE is so incompetent, IMO. It just means that no clear evidence was left behind to prove a case, no witnesses, etc...JMO

I am confused as to why it really matters at this point if we know whether or not Mickey made it another block, or went down one street or another...maybe I am missing something. What would be revealed if this knowledge was available?

For me if in fact she was hit by an vehicle that was following her.
It would tell me that the person responsible not only new the area but also knew the neighborhood. For I assume he would have struck her at a point he thought there would be a less chance of being seen by picking a particular spot on the route she was taking. Not knowing before hand what her route was, He followed her until she reach a certain point that he knew of.

People's quotes are getting messed up. You cannot copy and paste someone's quote, then reply. You have to go back to their post, press the quote button, then reply below.

I wonder if there were any cameras watching the street in the vicinity of the arson fire where the pressure washers and truck parts were discovered missing. That they were taken is very intriguing. If the pressure washers weren't used in front of the Circle K, they could have certainly been used elsewhere...Not to mention the taking of the truck parts, if by the perp(s) would indicate there was truck damage from an impact.

Just saw on FB:

KATC-TV 3: Acadiana's Newschannel
Divers are searching the Whiskey Bay area again. KATC checked with Lafayette police about possible new developments in Mickey Shunick's disappearance, but Cpl. Kyle Soriez says investigators have nothing new. He says divers have continually searched the area during the investigation.
Like · · Share · 4041 · 14 minutes ago ·

The family says differently on FB, they say searches called off till new evidence supports a search.

LA

IMO, we have been looking at these images all wrong, although I honestly do not think any of this matter in the case anyhow. I will try to explain my thought here.

attachment.php
I think this is Image #1, and I will call this WTA (white truck A). Notice 2 cars here at gas station, no car in intersections. Also note that the opposing traffic on University has a green light, meaning this truck (WTA) would have to stop at intersection. Sometimes at night, these light take a loooong time to change. The guy in the white car is just finishing getting his gas and is running in to maybe pay for overage? Or maybe didn’t need gas, just ran in for cigs? Anyway… If you have ever been to this gas station, you will understand how difficult it is to turn around here. To me, he is facing us, therefore, if he wants to go back down University towards campus, he would need to pull right out onto St. Landry and then right onto University.

Which brings us to image #2:
attachment.php

I just noticed here that there appears to be 2 cars in the intersection behind the trees. The first, WTA, appears to be crossing the intersection now (however NOT turning left onto University, IMO), as well as white car from gas station in right turning lane. Notice DWT is here. IMO, DWT passed MS earlier on St. John, before crossing intersection.

Next comes image #3:
attachment.php

MS. No trucks. Only blue car at gas station. Perhaps he is inside BSing with clerk? (I have seen this often).

So there are my thoughts. If I am correct, where does that really leave us? DWT stops? Waits for MS? DWT not involved at all???

In the very beginning they had the time stamps on the pics that correspond to the scenario we have all been following. But, you never know. I have always wondered about the guy in the blue/black car. Same car in all three pics but two different people. One in all black and one with a white shirt and black pants. I know the guy (?) with the white shirt pumped the gas...you can see him do so but then the guy in all black walks by. Not sure that he is with that car or was just on foot.

--------
re. bolded above:

Pictures weren't taken. Selected stills from a video were released.

Exactly. LE releases a still of a video that they have of someone under the truck?
Would they not also have the video of the person backing up and putting her and the bike in the truck, all the while the people that we can clearly see in the still shot, see or hear nothing?
Or maybe the truck backed up far enough, while dragging her and the bike, out of view of the camera?

1) How long do you think it would take for the driver to run over her, clear her from under his truck, pick up the bike and put it in the back, sweep up every speck of debris, and then wash all the blood away with a mop and a bucket he just happened to have in his truck?
2) Let's be generous and say this would take three minutes. How did the people gassing up not see any of this?
4). How could the various cars that passed along University, a pretty busy arterial street, not have seen anything when this happened about ten yards from University.
5) why is there no video of any of this from the same camera that captured Mickey on her bike?
6) what purpose would the police have in lying to the public by not telling us about this footage they have of the truck running over her?
8). Why would they go further along her possible route and ask businesses and homes for video of that night if they knew all along it was run over?
9) How could the driver have cleaned up so thoroughly that not one tiny drop of blood was found or one small piece of her bicycle when this exact area has been searched by many fairly soon after she went missing?

Thanks for looking at these questions. I hope you can come up with logical answers for them.

Not saying she was hit by the truck but:
1. If she was knocked off of her bike, there may not have been any blood. LE checked with luminol but never reported their results anyway.
2.It would not have to take anywhere near 3 minutes if there were 2 people. Grab and go.
3. The employee was busy with customers, had their back turned, etc
4. 2 am there could be a lull
5.Who said there's no video?
6. You would have to ask them.
7. Because she was hit and taken not left behind. They'd still need to find her.
8. What if the perpetrator turned off? They'd want info.
9. If a bike is bumped, it won't fall apart. There may not have been blood. They could have gone back in another car to check for anything remaining or even parked outside of the camera's range.

Has anyone that has done any amount of biking ever had there bike hit by a vehicle door? I have and I think many would be surprised that there was some damage but nothing broken.

Has anyone that has ever riden had the back end slip sideways, while still hanging onto the handlebars? I have quite often. The damage to the bike again was not great nor did i receive any "injuries" in either of the above 2 scenerios.

There was no "cleaning up" required. These were slow speed impacts.

I believe that they initially felt that she had taken a different route based upon what her family and friends stated which in turn led to some of the footage they did recover. This in turn required them to rethink possible routes.

Scenerios do not have to be black and white. There can be a variety of scenerios with many shades of grey.

Not sure which specific enhancements were used, but I took the pic and used an app I have, clicked "random effect" and got this image...I thought it really made whatever is in the bed of the truck more noticeable. It's hard to tell if the figure is large enough to be a person, when you compare its size to the tire size.View attachment 23717

To me, in a way it looks like a person sitting on the tailgate with their legs crossed then when I enlarge it, without enhancements, it looks like something in the truck bed with a torn piece of paper covering what ever it is...like LE stuck a random piece of paper on the pic. Neither makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kittyl628