LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, it means end of crime, bike gone, no evidence in his possession...
I also think in this particular case, when you realize this perp thought the bike had to come with, by dumping it less than 30 miles away, it shows their attempt to distance themselves not only from the item, but the abduction area. Many people have brought up the notion that there are much better places to dump items in the area, but not only is WB notorious for evil deeds, it is right off the interstate. The attempt to distance themselves from the area really sticks out.
I'm not sure how that would factor into the mindset if the perp was not local. Hypothetically, if this person drove her to Florida, why didn't the bike end up hidden there?

Also i wonder...and i hate even thinking this..but could WB under the bridge be the scene of the crime after abducting mickey? maybe thats why that area has had so much attention?

I think this person knew it was important to distance themself from the bike immediately. This bike would tie anyone directly to Mickey. Too easy for a neighbor,family member or anyone to potentially see the bike and that would be that.
But, I don't think there was any plan and everything was done by the seat of their pants.

Throwing it over a bridge into water may have sounded like a good idea at the time-maybe not well thought out, but on the spur of the moment...get rid of the bike at all costs as soon as possible. Sort of like Nancy Botwin throwing the croquet mallet out the window on the freeway. The only thought is get rid of it. I have no doubt it was done at night.

I don't necessarily think the bridge was on the way to anywhere,but possibly far enough away from this persons actual location to give them some breathing room even if it were found, which presumably has worked for now.

Same thing with Tex and co. in the Manson Family murders. They tossed that gun out of the window of the car into what they thought was woods, but it was actually in someone's yard.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why the LE thinks the bike was disposed of early on even though it wasnt found until 9 days later?

My guess is water level marks/algae rings that show the bike was completely submerged, and then lower rings to show the reduced water level when it was found.

Also i wonder...and i hate even thinking this..but could WB under the bridge be the scene of the crime after abducting mickey? maybe thats why that area has had so much attention?

My thinking is that they are searching there for a body. I hate even typing that bc I know her family is here.

This situation is just horrible.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a retreat that lasts until Saturday and the thought of not having the Internet (or anything) to check on Mickey is making me so sad. This forum is the last thing I do before going to sleep and the first thing I do when I wake up. I will pray fervently that she is found while I'm gone. It would be the best news when I come home.

Since the dogs didn't pick up on anything, hopefully not.

Same thing with Tex and co. in the Manson Family murders. They tossed that gun out of the window of the car into what they thought was woods, but it was actually in someone's yard.
Exactly.

I can't buy into the idea that they threw the bike from the interstate. Why would it end up near a place that is secluded and has vehicle access right up to it? It could of been thrown off the interstate anywhere, why near a place where people frequent? I agree with LE, it was placed where it was found.
Also, I see people often mention that the water level was lower when the bike was found, but the water was still around six feet deep and only a part of the frame was showing? That means that the bike was most likely caught on something, I do remember LE mentioning that there was garbage(?) found around it.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't LE say when they found the bike that they believed it had been dumped very early on after Mickey vanished?

They must have something/evidence that tells's them this..........

And is it fact that the handlebars and/or gold grips were not on the bike?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but didn't LE say when they found the bike that they believed it had been dumped very early on after Mickey vanished?

I do not think it had anything to do with the grips, but most likely rust. If you sink a bike in water or leave it out in the water for too long, all of the grease will wash off. The chain and frame will rust, with the chain going first. I do not believe it would have an impact on the grips at all.

Maybe it was because of the sediment left on the exposed portion of the frame from the water level falling that they were able to determine when it was left there.

Maybe it was because of the sediment left on the exposed portion of the frame from the water level falling that they were able to determine when it was left there.

I think In Louisiana it's called swamp funk. LOL

I don't know...I think the bike was an afterthought, the same way I think the purse was in Sierra's case...the last bit of evidence to get ride of on the way home kind-of-thing. I can't see the perp stopping at all with Mickie in his vehicle. That would be far more dangerous, IMO. I think both the bike and Mickie were left at basically the same time, if not the same place...he may have chosen WB for the bike so that people would be reminded of serial killers...

Honestly, I would love to believe that someone is holding Mickie hostage, but I just don't. She is an adult woman, who would make a good witness at some point...just doesn't work for me. JMO of course and all that, while hoping the best but not expecting it.

Yep, I feel like it's entirely possible that if Mickey is deceased, Mickey is somewhere in or around the Whiskey Bay exit (or was there and has washed somewhere else). I wonder if there were any areas that couldn't be searched or the dogs couldn't be brought onto/into because of standing water (like the area where Caylee Anthony was eventually found- the searchers couldn't search the exact area where she was when they were around it because it was flooded) or private property really close to the highway at the exit or the boat launch that the owners wouldn't okay strangers on to search....

I really feel like if she's passed, she is (or was) at WB.

does anyone remember how soon the searchers were there after mickey went missing? and also the dogs.

Waning crescent moon that night, so no, there wouldn't be much light at all, and yes, it'd be difficult to pitch it over the bridge, but I thought that it was presumed the bike was brought to the site because of the tire tracks near the dump site? Even if it was brought there, I imagine it'd be easier to do so during the day time, even if you had a high powered flashlight or the high beams of a vehicle, so that could rule out a dump the night of.

Interesting that you knew it was a waning crescent moon the night Mickey disappeared. Doesn't it have some particular meaning for satanists or wiccans or both? - supposedly adding to their power? I'm no expert in that field but the fact that it was a particularly dark night must have helped the perpetrator(s). Anyway, back to when the bike could have been dumped - none of us can know with any certainty, but one guess is that there was more than one vehicle involved in this abduction. Mickey may have been taken in one vehicle, while the bike was placed in the trunk of another vehicle and driven to WB. He may have attempted to dump the bike early morning, but encountered fishermen and driven on by, only to come back later when the coast was clear. This is all pure guesswork. In a way I hope there are two perps because then one of them may cave in to guilt, remorse and common decency and tell the police what really happened, knowing that their cooperation will likely give him a lighter sentence and a clear conscience.
There is also, very likely, someone who knows what happened to Mickey, but is in fear for their own safety, who really needs to come forward and help. I hope you are reading this right now and I hope and pray you will find the guts to call or email or post a message here. Mickey was brave and you should be too. :phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129