LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. I'm not feeling very confident in this LE I must say. The LE in Sierra LaMar's case seemed on the ball pretty much from the start. They spoke with the press regularly and were constantly searching. Although it must be noted that Sierra unfortunately has not been found yet, I've always felt that LE in her case has a sense of urgency.

This LE is reminding me a lot more of the LE in Holly Bobo's case (the TBI) and well, let's just say, Holly has been missing for 14 months and counting and there hasn't been a presser in her case since a few days after she was kidnapped.

I think allot of thanks needs to go to Marc Klaas and his organization in there help with Sierra's case.

In Holly's case, IIRC Marc help was declined for reason I cannot figure out..

http://theklaasact.blogspot.com/2012/03/join-search-for-sierra-lamar.html

where is everyone??

I'm here. I hit a wall. WTs, video/no video, lights, reflectors, a bicyclist that seems to have vaporized.

If no ones has the stones to come forward, this is going to grind on & on.

I admit I've not felt an extraordinary sense of urgency from any government agency.

I wonder how it would have gone if Mickey's family hadn't pushed so hard.

Mickey's family left nothing on the table. I can't imagine what more they can do.

Someday, somehow, Mickey must be returned to her family. I wish I knew how to make that happen.

I have a couple of questions for Mods.

1. How are members/posters verified?

2. If we have a Mod question, how can we tell who's on?

Thanks.

I am asking because there are many "locals" contributing and doing a great job. Why don't some become "verified" as local? Just wondering.

I've been following for weeks, and I'm still confused about the trucks.
Something that could be so simple (ID of the truck/trucks and surveillance cams)
seams to be all twisted up............ I'm frustrated.

If anyone has conclusive facts re: DWT, please clarify.

Thanks. :please::waitasec::please:

I'm a local, been on Websleuths for years and years. I have not asked to be verified as a local, because when I read the instructions, etc. I didn't fit the criteria. IIRC, only those who are insiders, who have some contact that others from the area do not have, and things like that need to be verified. I do not personally know any of the Shunicks, although two of my sons have friends who are also friends with Brettly, Mickey, and Charlie. I have friends who have been active with volunteer searches, but I am not going to use my friendship to try to get exclusive info, and my two contacts in local LE both transferred to larger municipalities in the last few years.

So I can help out with local information, like where I've seen searches, what my kids tell me about how Mickey, Brettly and Charlie have such positive reputations, but no insider info. (honestly, if I did have insider info, I might hesitate to share it on a public forum!)

I have to be blunt here.

There has never been any sense of urgency by LE with respect to this case compared to the sense of urgency that was evident in the Bain/Mayes incident.

LE in this case has held one press conference to state that they found the bike. That is it. The mods can't help us with respect to the DWTIQ because LE will not clarify it.

I think that we have to look at the lack of signals from LE, then ask ourselves what do they know that we do not?

In the Bain/Mayes case they were stopping very specific vehicles constantly. That is not happening in this case.

I sincerely hope I am wrong but I don't believe that I am.

I think the other case you cite is completely different. LE knew that man had those two girls in his vehicle. LE here do not know for a fact the DWT is involved with Mickey's disappearance. All they have is that the truck was in the area. I really think that explains the different reactions of LE, but YMMV.

I think allot of thanks needs to go to Marc Klaas and his organization in there help with Sierra's case.

Yes, Marc has helped a lot in Sierra's case, but I think LE has done a pretty good job too.

I don't know what the guidelines are for KlaasKids to search for an adult. Usually they search for children, but they were involved in Michelle Le's search and she was an adult.

I just want to say that if this happened in my immediate area, and I was a "local", out and about, driving to work and back, shopping etc..........

Firstly, I would be all shook up. I would also be vigilant and watching around. If I saw anything weird or uncomfortable, I would post it.

I would also verify myself as a local. That's just me. If I saw something or had real questions, I would want you guys to take me seriously. I would also probably sleuth around and post pictures,

so BIG thanks.

I might also contact my local news and ask questions-perhaps ask to speak with a reporter who was on the case. MOO.

(please all, be safe)

I have read a few weird cases today, that I may post later.

I am a bit upset that some members here have gone silent.

As an aside, always remember......... we're on the internet. :moo:

I'm a local, well Baton Rouge, so not the IMMEDIATE area. But being close to Whiskey and having lived here during the DTL killings while at LSU, I can't help but be scared.

I just want to say that if this happened in my immediate area, and I was a "local", out and about, driving to work and back, shopping etc..........

Firstly, I would be all shook up. I would also be vigilant and watching around. If I saw anything weird or uncomfortable, I would post it.

I would also verify myself as a local. That's just me. If I saw something or had real questions, I would want you guys to take me seriously. I would also probably sleuth around and post pictures,

so BIG thanks.

I might also contact my local news and ask questions-perhaps ask to speak with a reporter who was on the case. MOO.

(please all, be safe)

I have read a few weird cases today, that I may post later.

I am a bit upset that some members here have gone silent.
:moo:

Trust me - I pay close attention when I go out. I've changed my route home to drive down St. Landry much more frequently although it takes me more time to get home. ACI knows I'm local- that's enough for me. I have been sleuthing around and taking pictures. Being female, there are places I won't go. I'm also a Mom of 5 and Stepmom to two- so I get a little busy. I take this a little personally because I have a daughter close to Mikey's age.

BTW- quite a few people were put on time out yesterday, and I don't know if the can post yet.

I'm a local, been on Websleuths for years and years. I have not asked to be verified as a local, because when I read the instructions, etc. I didn't fit the criteria. IIRC, only those who are insiders, who have some contact that others from the area do not have, and things like that need to be verified. I do not personally know any of the Shunicks, although two of my sons have friends who are also friends with Brettly, Mickey, and Charlie. I have friends who have been active with volunteer searches, but I am not going to use my friendship to try to get exclusive info, and my two contacts in local LE both transferred to larger municipalities in the last few years.

So I can help out with local information, like where I've seen searches, what my kids tell me about how Mickey, Brettly and Charlie have such positive reputations, but no insider info. (honestly, if I did have insider info, I might hesitate to share it on a public forum!)

I think the other case you cite is completely different. LE knew that man had those two girls in his vehicle. LE here do not know for a fact the DWT is involved with Mickey's disappearance. All they have is that the truck was in the area. I really think that explains the different reactions of LE, but YMMV.

kgeaux, where have they searched? besides whiskey bay and the saints streets areas?

since the owner of the truck has not come forward to clear himself for being in that area that night at that time, it makes him suspicious, ya know. of course it doesn't make him the perp, but definitely suspicious.

Trust me - I pay close attention when I go out. I've changed my route home to drive down St. Landry much more frequently although it takes me more time to get home. ACI knows I'm local- that's enough for me. I have been sleuthing around and taking pictures. Being female, there are places I won't go. I'm also a Mom of 5 and Stepmom to two- so I get a little busy. I take this a little personally because I have a daughter close to Mikey's age.

BTW- quite a few people were put on time out yesterday, and I don't know if the can post yet.

ahhhh, i missed whatever lead to timeouts yesterday. that explains why it's slower than ususual in here. since i've been away most of the week besides popping in here and there, i wasn't able to compare today with yesterday etc. and i was starting to worry that the sleuthers were giving up on Mickey. thanks for filling me in on the timeouts

I understand what I stated was not popular. I get that. I can sit here and insert many different case names in there and we often see patterns regarding outcomes. Not always as the SL case came out of left field for me.

We are though stuck with what can/cannot be discussed and I don't know anymore where to go from here. There is also some other dynamics here which we cannot address which I believe are playing a role here.

has aci come up with anything? he probably can't share all, but has he at least said if he's got something solidish to work on or is he at a dead end with only a white truck too?

what's up with whiskey bay? i saw a post earlier about new searches, but i'm not sure if i'm reading it out of context or what. i see nothing in the news about it. as usual, i see nothing about mickey at all. i sure do wish local media would remind viewers every other night on the news.

That is one of our unanswered questions. It "looks" like an extended cab to me, but LE identified it as a white four door Chevy Z71. Technically, extended cabs are four doors, except the doors are generally not full size and do not have exterior door handles.

I've never seen LE clarify this. I think the consensus is that if LE says four door, they mean four full size doors.....but really, your guess is as good as mine. :banghead:

Apology if this has already been covered.

The truck in question is a 4 door and it does have door handles on the outside. Rear doors are very close in size and open just like the front. Own one just like the one in question except for color. Mine is 07 and it is identical up to the 2012 models. The suggestion that it is thought to be only a 09, 10 or 11 isn't correct at all. Really though if you parked every model from 07 to 12 side by side you won't be able to tell them apart. From the front you might see a little difference in the amount of chrome, but not in shape.

/And google or bing is your friend

I know that Tim Miller and Texas Equusearch generally will not leave unless there is absolutely nothing left to search, staying puts members at risk, or they are asked to discontinue searching.

Some people think he is crazy, but that man has been through hell, and still does his best to help out others in the same situation he is/was in.

I kind of wonder why they REALLY left?

A press conference would be nice... it's not like LE doesn't know the public is confused about the DWT... <modsnip>

I wish LE would have a presser not only to clarify the DWT issue, but also just to get the case front and center again. I believe that if there was more talk on MSM it might cause the perp to become nervous and do something out of the ordinary that someone might notice. I have a concern that he is becoming more and more comfortable because LE and MSM have become so complacent.

I understand what I stated was not popular. I get that. I can sit here and insert many different case names in there and we often see patterns regarding outcomes. Not always as the SL case came out of left field for me.

We are though stuck with what can/cannot be discussed and I don't know anymore where to go from here. There is also some other dynamics here which we cannot address which I believe are playing a role here.

i'm so lost! what is unpopular? le's lack of urgency? i totally agree with that. their silence burns me up! there's really no need to discuss it, unless someone here has connections with them and can convince them to address the people sometime before 2013!

what can't we talk about?

kgeaux, where have they searched? besides whiskey bay and the saints streets areas?

since the owner of the truck has not come forward to clear himself for being in that area that night at that time, it makes him suspicious, ya know. of course it doesn't make him the perp, but definitely suspicious.

We really aren't hearing very much about the truck in our local media. The only pic media really shows is the truck about to turn left onto University. And they dont show it often, eithet! IF that is not the same truck as the one headed in thevsame direction as Mickey, the driver may really not know they are looking for him! Believe me, we have discussed this truck on Websleuths a billion times more than it is being mentioned by our stupid media. (remember, this is the same media that cannot seem to get ONE CLEAR DISCRIPTION OF THE TRUCK TAGGED TO ONE PHOTO.). (kgeaux is a lil frustrated with local media.)

Now, to address your other question: I have personally witnessed two searches done by the Cajun Dome, led by LE. In one search, LE put up crime scene tape in a field between Fraternity Row, Cajun Field and the Cajun Dome. The next day, I witnessed LE out in roughly the same area, but not exactly, with K9 dogs. That same day, I saw officers and dogs in the fields behind Blackham Coliseum.

I don't know if anything was found, LE says not, but that one area with the roped off area really continues to hold my attention.

Now, as for volunteer searches, I've seen some people going through a densely wooded area next to Vermilion Bayou. I think that was a volunter search for Mickey, but I never confirmed that.

Guys, we have been warned REPEATEDLY not to bash LE. Let's not get the thread shut down again, please....

http://theklaasact.blogspot.com/2012/03/join-search-for-sierra-lamar.html

Yes the Klaas Kids foundation is incredible and I went on many many searches from the very beginning for Sierra but now we all know that LE was on to AG (the perp) with 24 hour surveillance within days of her disappearance, which none of us knew, I heard so many rumors and I heard what other searchers where theorizing which I could not post and I came up with my own theories which were wrong. So while it was stated over and over in the threads that LE was being generous with information and I guess you could call it that but what I am learning and of course IMO is that all the information that LE releases is very much limited and need to know for the public to help. There probably is in this case as with Sierra so much information that LE is keeping close too their vests. So with Mickey I pray that LE has more than what they are sharing. All people can do is just keep searching as we still are for Sierra and so many others.

I agree. I don't post because there is nothing to post. I have my theory and have stated it. However, the only people we can sleuth are named POI's and that's not an easy thing for non-locals. Additionally - I doubt we can come up with any info on the named POI that LE doesn't already know. Any info we dig up on other people, we can't post - therefore nothing new. And LE doesn't seem interested in helping you locals to help them find the DWT or MS. The locals are a valuable resource that isn't being used IMO.

We can talk the DWT for the next 12 months - but there is nothing else to say about it. It's all been said. I skim through the posts here hoping there is something new, but there hasn't been. So I usually don't waste the space by posting.

It's not that any of us have given up on finding MS - there's just not much we can do. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this is going to have a happy ending.

Rather than respond individually, I will respond collectively to the "locals".

Again, thanks so much.

I asked the "Mods", what is required to verify a poster/member/local?

There are several "locals" posting. (Thanks)

I repeat, if this happened in my community, I would be vigilant and posting aggressively. I would verify myself, just to make a point and to be "taken seriously". I would certainly post pics, (as many have).

I am frustrated that a few credible posters have gone.

So, how do we proceed?

Mods? Admin?

:moo::moo::moo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads