LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a link or source saying they were tampered with by LE or someone else? The only people I have seen admit to tampering with the pictures are those on WS that have stated as much, that they changed this or that and then posted them. And that's not they shouldn't but only that they did change or alter them from the original content.

They were enhanced by LE before they were released. The quote by LE and link are on my Just The Facts page in the media link.

Excellent idea! IIRC, there was a carnival in Lafayette at the time Mickey went missing; I think it was ending that Saturday. Can someone find out the name of the carnival company and track down their schedule, to see if by any chance there was also a carnival in Raleigh on or around June 18?

Thanks!
I think I heard that somebody was working on that, but haven't heard anything else. That was about 3 weeks ago.

I also believe that some alteration to both images had been done before LE released them in an attempt to clarify them.
However, the overall tonality between the two is close. See my post here.
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - LA LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #31
The alterations that LE performed weren't significant enough to create a 310 point change in hue, in my opinion.

They were altered and not only to clarify them. There are several instances where it's obvious that things were whited out, blurred, there are halos around others, etc. I dumped all of my work because my computer started acting up not long after I downloaded some of the pics.

BBM

I'd be really shocked if this was the attitude. This is a potential/likely murder enquiry.

Or am I just a naive Englishman?:waitasec:

Unfortunately, you're a naive Englishman.

Depts. everywhere are caught in a cash crunch. Eventually there will be class action suits brought against depts. for using the cameras. It's another example of the use of technology being used for one thing and then morphing to be used for something else. It won't be pretty and it will happen. They are covering their rear ends and this is not only happening in Lafayette.

They were altered and not only to clarify them. There are several instances where it's obvious that things were whited out, blurred, there are halos around others, etc. I dumped all of my work because my computer started acting up not long after I downloaded some of the pics.
snipped

Sorry, I don't see evidence of significant alterations in any of the images released by LE. I believe cropping, sharpening, lightening etc. have been done and that's it.
If you point out what you believe has been done I'll look at it.

Can any locals verify any searches this week out East past the bridge.
You don't have to answer specifically where. A yes or no will be just fine.

Thank you.:seeya:

> (snipped)

It makes sense that a light powered by peddling would become dimmer when peddling slower. But, I don't think it would significantly alter it's color or hue we'd, more likely, see just a much lower brightness value and lower saturation.
And wouldn't the light go out completely if the peddling or wheel stopped?

I really doubt her bike light was powered by peddling. Most cyclists use detachable battery-powered lights because they're lighter and don't add any drag. I could be wrong, I haven't read anything that specified what kind of light she had so I've just been imagining the type I have.

snipped

Sorry, I don't see evidence of significant alterations in any of the images released by LE. I believe cropping, sharpening, lightening etc. have been done and that's it.
If you point out what you believe has been done I'll look at it.

Note the part of my post that says that I dumped(deleted) my work. I've worked with photo imaging for years and I know what I saw. Whether you see it or not doesn't impact what I know that I saw.

Excellent idea! IIRC, there was a carnival in Lafayette at the time Mickey went missing; I think it was ending that Saturday. Can someone find out the name of the carnival company and track down their schedule, to see if by any chance there was also a carnival in Raleigh on or around June 18?

Thanks!

It was a company called North American Midway Entertainment I do believe...I do not see any events listed in or near Raleigh at all, or at least not anything recent.

http://www.namidway.com/fairs-events/categoriesdetailed/archive

Can any locals verify any searches this week out East past the bridge.
You don't have to answer specifically where. A yes or no will be just fine.

Thank you.:seeya:

I'm a local - just checking before I answer your question all wrong haha. what do you mean by 'out east past the bridge'? The Basin Bridge...like down I-10 on the Baton Rouge side? Or Whiskey Bay Bridge and you mean directly east of that spot? Whiskey Bay 'bridge' is really a part of the Basin Bridge...if that helps. And are you referring to LE searches or volunteers...?

I really doubt her bike light was powered by peddling. Most cyclists use detachable battery-powered lights because they're lighter and don't add any drag. I could be wrong, I haven't read anything that specified what kind of light she had so I've just been imagining the type I have.

I agree. The few active cyclists I know either use a battery powered light or no light at all. I addressed the possibility of a peddle powered light only because the poster asked about that specifically. The numbers still apply regardless of the power source and I wouldn't expect to see a significant change in hue (like we do) if the two objects in the two separate images were one and the same.

.Unfortunately, you're a naive Englishman.

Depts. everywhere are caught in a cash crunch. Eventually there will be class action suits brought against depts. for using the cameras. It's another example of the use of technology being used for one thing and then morphing to be used for something else. It won't be pretty and it will happen. They are covering their rear ends and this is not only happening in Lafayette.

Don't get me wrong, I understand in these times there are budget cuts even for the police. It is happening here too.

But it is one thing to shelve a serious case after exhausting all possible leads, but quite another to stop investigating/not do certain thing's due to time/expenses/resources or because everyone would expect the same for every crime.

But then A.C.I is a local PI and knows a lot more than me! If what A.C.I says is true and it happened here, there would be uproar.........IMO.

I'm a local - just checking before I answer your question all wrong haha. what do you mean by 'out east past the bridge'? The Basin Bridge...like down I-10 on the Baton Rouge side? Or Whiskey Bay Bridge and you mean directly east of that spot? Whiskey Bay 'bridge' is really a part of the Basin Bridge...if that helps. And are you referring to LE searches or volunteers...?

Thank you for responding.
Out east from Whiskey bay bridge where the bike was found.
I 10 East from there towards baton rough. Its the exits along the way on I10 East that I am interested in. I have been watching these webcams.
Both LEOS and volunteer.

When the goal of digging up facts and sleuthing certain individuals begins to interfere with actually finding the missing person, that is when I believe all involved must take a step back and meditate on which is more important - being the first to post a juicy "fact," or being responsible enough to know when to hold back and let LE do its job. This is where there are Terms of Service at WS. The sleuthing of non-POIs, etc., and publicly published rumors and other info about them, is not allowed. This is to make sure that WS does not actually interfere with the case. Sometimes there is a fine line between gathering information to help move the case forward, and gathering information to satisfy the "gossip gene."

Now I am not basing this on anything concrete, but: Lafayette is an unusually gossipy town. A lot of people just HAVE to have the latest tidbit, to have the satisfaction of being a person with the "inside scoop," and spreading it to their neighbor.

If Mickey has been taken by locals, then this "gossip gene" is an absolute nightmare for LE and the family. The buzzing hive of busybees in this case is growing louder and louder and has to scare the heck out of LE and family if, indeed, they have some POIs but are still gathering info.

I urge everyone here to realize that there is a real possibility that info posted here at WS and other social-media sites is getting back to the perp(s). So - do we really want to be an informer here, in service of the perp(s)? In the worst case scenario, places like WS could end up being the gusty wind that blows the dropped piece of paper across the parking lot, with LE chasing the paper, and everytime they bend down to pick it up - places like WS could be the gust that snatches it away.

Self-censorship does play a role in a gossipy town with possible local perp(s).

All of this is just my opinion, of course, but I am just a bit disturbed at the willingness of some people in situations like this to make posts about possible POIs (not necessarily here - just in general) that don't take into account that they may be assisting the perp(s) as much or more than assisting LE and the family.

Terrific encapsulation of that part of the "Lafayette mindset" (and of Acadiana in general, I'm afraid).

They were enhanced by LE before they were released. The quote by LE and link are on my Just The Facts page in the media link.

Many thanks. Somehow I missed what you put together, so I'll take this opportunity to say thanks and great job!!!!!!!

Thank you for responding.
Out east from Whiskey bay bridge where the bike was found.
I 10 East from there towards baton rough. Its the exits along the way on I10 East that I am interested in. I have been watching these webcams.
Both LEOS and volunteer.

No searches that have been mentioned. LE probably waiting on leads from Abdella! They better not hold their breath!

I agree. The few active cyclists I know either use a battery powered light or no light at all. I addressed the possibility of a peddle powered light only because the poster asked about that specifically. The numbers still apply regardless of the power source and I wouldn't expect to see a significant change in hue (like we do) if the two objects in the two separate images were one and the same.

There are a lot of solar powered bicycle lights. You can kind of see what her light looks like on the pic of her riding the bike in the daytime.

If its a GM or Chevrolet, It would therefore be equipped with OnStar right?

I thought about that too. I thought when you bought an instate equipped vehicle it came with like a year of instate service. Not sure how that works. Not sure if it can track a vehicle unless you press the little button.

Don't get me wrong, I understand in these times there are budget cuts even for the police. It is happening here too.

But it is one thing to shelve a serious case after exhausting all possible leads, but quite another to stop investigating/not do certain thing's due to time/expenses/resources or because everyone would expect the same for every crime.

But then A.C.I is a local PI and knows a lot more than me! If what A.C.I says is true and it happened here, there would be uproar.........IMO.

Well it's also because it's a big civil rights issue too if those methods are publicly revealed to have been used. That's something LPD doesn't want to add to their plate right now IMO

Well it's also because it's a big civil rights issue too if those methods are publicly revealed to have been used. That's something LPD doesn't want to add to their plate right now IMO

Sorry A.C.I, could you elaborate? What is the civil rights issue and what methods do you speak of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauriedries23456!