LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the two truck pictures. I ask hubby who is a car/truck guy and he said they are two different trucks. They have different rims and one is an old model. I didn't ask if he thought they were different just what he saw and he said they aren't the same truck. He was 100% sure as soon as he saw it. Just wanted to add that.
Which 2 photos? There are 3 truck photos now.

http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/?fullsite

I know this was posted before. But it is the article that another girl says that one of the trucks they are looking for looks like the one that picked her up a couple of months ago that was looking around town to pick up pretty girls.

Anyway, what really disturbs me is that she tried calling the police but never could get thru to them. This is not the first person to comment either on here or on Facebook. It makes me wonder how many more people with information have been trying to contact the police or tip line and get thru to them to give important information.

I hate to be negative, but I'm afraid that LE in this town simply isn't prepared to handle something of this magnitude. I mean Derek Todd Lee went around stalking, assaulting, kidnapping and killing women in Baton Rouge and Lafayette for possibly over a decade. He had past arrests and covictions for peeping, assault on women, etc. He had an IQ of about 65. He was not sophisticated and left evidence behind at several crime scenes, yet LE was unable to connect the dots for several years. I don't blame LE but I just feel as though they can't really handle something of this magnitude and I believe tips in both cases fell through the cracks because of this.

I hope they have checked all the RSOs in the area who have white 4 door trucks. This guy (a link was posted to him last night), has a white 4 door 1999 Toyota Tacoma. I know we all agreed the truck in the pics was probably a Ford or GMC, but I google "white 4 door Toyota Tacoma" on Google images and they look a LOT like the truck in the 2 pics to me (the original truck, not necessarily pic of other truck we got this evening).
Someone posted a link to his RSO info here yesterday; I'll post it again:
http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=756715&AgencyID=53604

I don't know if it's okay to post this (new poster, long-time lurker), but I noticed on the Find Mickey Facebook page that someone with the same last name (sounds Arab maybe?) posted several comments about God (in all caps) bringing her home, etc. He had a different first name. Maybe since this guy has a foreign/Middle Eastern souding-first name as well, he has an "American" nickname he goes by? For example, our governor in LA's real first name is Piyush, but he goes by Bobby. The ladies who do my pedicures at the nail salon are from Vietnam and go by American names they've picked for themselves (I guess for helping clientele remember their names if they want a certain manicurist or whatever). I don't mean to sleuth some innocent guy who is really hoping and praying for Mickey's return, but itsn't it possible the perp would insert himself in the search and maybe the Facebook discussion? Don't some perps do stuff like get involved after the crime? Help me out, more experienced sleuthers- what do you think- is there maybe something to this?

Again, I'm sorry if it's not okay to post this....I'm not sure...my apologies to mods if I can't and please remove it.

Could you please transcribe or provide his postings? I perused the FB page for about 30 minutes and came up empty. I am curious as all h#ll. Thanks for the post. I wish more of the board would start focusing on sleuthing potential perps instead of another 10 pages about white trucks.

Just cutting in for a minute to add this: I don't think any of the three pictures are the same exact truck; however, what I do know is that even if in the truck in the pictures in front of the circle k are the same truck, the other truck (pictured @ a different location) is definitely not the same truck as the other two. For one, it has a truck cover. More importantly, it does not have the chrome/colored aftermarket gas tank cover.

What I know is that if these vehicle's crossed path's with Mickey I would have thought they'd have come forward by now to say - they do recall a blonde female on a bike in the wee hours of saturday morning...

It's disturbing that after all the attention this case has rec'd, the occupants of these vehicles (obviously) have not willingly offered their accounts.

Not ANOTHER white truck. I am still scarred from the Lauren experience which didn't even turn out to be related. Driving to the store today I counted at least 10 different ones and my grocery store is literally 3 miles away. I don't live where Mickey lives, but for certain regions white trucks are just ridiculously popular which makes it so much harder to pin down who owns that specific white truck. Like, literally hundreds of people owning white trucks could be in the immediate area and surrounding areas.
Anyway, to me I see two different white trucks and then the car. I am hoping they identify all three and perhaps break the entire case.

For those who think it may be a Mickey in the photo of the truck on University time stamped at 1:51:27 am see attached for a visual. It's just a sign

Attachments

• not her sign.jpg
    not her sign.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 75
I think it is about 220-240 St Landry. Here is the pic and the Google street view showing the same apartment building:

qpfd44.jpg

https://maps.google.com/maps?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=224+st+landry+lafayette&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=224+St+Landry+St,+Lafayette,+Louisiana+70506&gl=us&ll=30.219081,-92.025175&spn=0.005766,0.022724&t=m&z=16&vpsrc=0&layer=c&cbll=30.219074,-92.025183&panoid=DCXW5K4pn1h_4xFxlYrLVw&cbp=11,129.09,,0,6.88

bumping the image of the car approaching the white truck.

Good eye typasus3. Has a local been able to pinpoint that exact spot? What's there - just houses?

See attached, if you go back a couple of pages we were talking about this last night. There are a couple of different thoughts about what people thought was going on. It was taken at about 224 St Landry St.

Attachments

• Facts2_edited-1.jpg
    Facts2_edited-1.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 21
Could you please transcribe or provide his postings? I perused the FB page for about 30 minutes and came up empty. I am curious as all h#ll. Thanks for the post. I wish more of the board would start focusing on sleuthing potential perps instead of another 10 pages about white trucks.

You can find the comments under this post - currently on the left hand side of their page:

FIND MICKEY SHUNICK NOW
Hey guys, please refrain from posting license plates of vehicles you see. If you see something you feel is important, please call 911 or the Tip Line at 1-337-291-8633 and give them the informant. And PLEASE BE SAFE!
13 hours ago
132 people like it
38 comments

ETA: still not seeing any official report of a missing women and her wheelchair out of Riverside CA http://www.riversidesheriff.org/press/

I see it is St John's Cemetary and I need a local to tell me if this is where Brettly meant his stolen bike was found when he said it was found in the bushes at Cathedral Cemetary.....

Would that not be too strange if she disappeared that close to where his missing bike was just found (approx May 9th!)

Is St John's aka Cathedral Cemetary?

(Makes good sense (good good sense) since it's next to The Cathedral of St John the Evangelist.)

OMG! Could someone be out to hurt Brettly?

See attached, if you go back a couple of pages we were talking about this last night. There are a couple of different thoughts about what people thought was going on. It was taken at about 224 St Landry St.

Thanks. I was here but I guess I wasn't in functioning mode due to the overload of trying to figure out the significance of the vehicles.

Real quick before I catch up, have there been any new developments this morning?

Apologies if this has been brought up before:

Per Wikipedia: Lafayette has a population of 120,623 as of the 2010 census.

Ford F-series trucks (if that is what it is) have been the best selling truck for over 30 years.

Even though that's a large population, and the truck is popular, I still don't think that many white trucks of similar style will be on the roads at that time of night.

My personal experience - I go to work very early in the AM, 4AM, and I might see only a few of these over a 30 mile stretch of interstate. Of course I'm in a completely different area.

What is the nightlife like in Lafayette? Do bars, *advertiser censored* shops, clubs, other stores, close at a certain time?

What are likely popular destinations somebody with no bad motive would be driving, along the routes mentioned, at that time of the AM?

Edit: I'm sure the theory that she was possibly hit and the driver freaked out has been brought up? Are there significant wooded areas or bodies of water for evidence to be dumped in the area?

mickey1circlekarrow.JPG

curb shown here

2 white trucks circlekarrow.JPG

something in front of the curb here

possible 3rd white truck?

I think there are enough similarities in the victim type, circumstances of disappearance and geographical location in the cases of Spierer, Bordeaux and now Mickey to warrant closer inspection. All disappear at night, seemingly into thin air, on their way home after nights out, in college/squaddie towns. Eyewitnesses in each case are also potential (if imperfect) suspects. I think that whatever vehicle might have been used to abduct these young women (in that scenario) is likely to be equipped for the purpose -- if these are really random then the perp's technique is sufficiently refined to allow for a spontaneous grab without the risk of obvious mistakes that might lead to detection. The behaviour of that truck, circling and turning, looks like hunting to me.

Part of the horror of these crimes, it seems to me, is how strong and capable young women can be made to vanish -- that aspect is an expression of power on the part of the abductor (if it is one). Hopefully they're able to track down the vehicle quickly. Good luck Lafayette!

s

I just looked for those comments and they seem to have been removed from that thread.

They are still there - tho the original post (13 hrs ago) is now switched to the right hand side of the page...

You can find the comments under this post - currently on the left hand side of their page:

FIND MICKEY SHUNICK NOW

13 hours ago
132 people like it
38 comments

ETA: still not seeing any official report of a missing women and her wheelchair out of Riverside CA http://www.riversidesheriff.org/press/

I did not see any posts by someone with the last name "HAMDAN"? I was not referring to the "wheelchair poster" was referring to my RSO mentioned by this poster:

"Originally Posted by ktgirl View Post
I hope they have checked all the RSOs in the area who have white 4 door trucks. This guy (a link was posted to him last night), has a white 4 door 1999 Toyota Tacoma. I know we all agreed the truck in the pics was probably a Ford or GMC, but I google "white 4 door Toyota Tacoma" on Google images and they look a LOT like the truck in the 2 pics to me (the original truck, not necessarily pic of other truck we got this evening).
Someone posted a link to his RSO info here yesterday; I'll post it again:
http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderd...AgencyID=53604

I don't know if it's okay to post this (new poster, long-time lurker), but I noticed on the Find Mickey Facebook page that someone with the same last name (sounds Arab maybe?) posted several comments about God (in all caps) bringing her home, etc. He had a different first name.
Maybe since this guy has a foreign/Middle Eastern souding-first name as well, he has an "American" nickname he goes by? For example, our governor in LA's real first name is Piyush, but he goes by Bobby. The ladies who do my pedicures at the nail salon are from Vietnam and go by American names they've picked for themselves (I guess for helping clientele remember their names if they want a certain manicurist or whatever). I don't mean to sleuth some innocent guy who is really hoping and praying for Mickey's return, but itsn't it possible the perp would insert himself in the search and maybe the Facebook discussion? Don't some perps do stuff like get involved after the crime? Help me out, more experienced sleuthers- what do you think- is there maybe something to this?

Again, I'm sorry if it's not okay to post this....I'm not sure...my apologies to mods if I can't and please remove it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3