LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, here's a little more from me. Once again, Lafayette native my whole life.

After thinking about the bike and where it was dropped all day long, IMO I believe that she will not be found around there. I believe this gives me hope she could still be alive and here's why...

LE and all involved are looking in Whiskey Bay and the surrounding Basin Swamp for her. But if they were to dump her in the water around there, why would they not do the same with the bike?

If they were thinking the last place they would find her would be in the swamp, why leave a piece of evidence where it could possibly be found. Why not dump it all in the place you believe would be best to get rid of all evidence?

Although I know this case may turn out with the worst outcome, I choose to believe and pray that they got rid of the bike but kept her alive.

BRING MICKEY HOME!!!

I couldn't agree more with you. It's the same exact thing I've been thinking all day. I was excited when I heard they found the bike but everyone around me immediately became bummed out....

OT, Facebook is the virtual bottom of the barrel when it comes to spelling and grammar. Honestly, it hurts my eyes and head to even try to read any of the public pages set up for missing persons. Not to mention ashamed and embarrassed that so many people in this country cannot construct a sentence, spell, or use words correctly.

I have to wonder, with the proliferation of "online speak", how much grammar and spelling will even be stressed in decades to come.

Okay, I am done. :(

Thank you for posting this about FBI rules. I wasn't aware of the no release policy when the FBI is involved. There is a young Soldier missing (another petite blond) out of Fayetteville, NC and we were just commenting over on her thread that she's not pictured on the missing person site of the police department - wonder if FBI involvement has anything to do with that.

I can't find the direct link, sorry. It could certainly be the FBI due to their Privacy Acts. However, if she is in the military it could be her branch as well.

Hasn't been that bad at all. I can tell most of the reporters have probably at least gone to journalism school, whether they're great writers or not. They know what goes into reporting a story.

That's the important thing...I just giggle when I read a story that says that "The Principle of the high school says...". ;)

I was really hoping that the 10 pm news would have something new to report...doesn't seem that way though.

chicken fried...Haha! See? I think your "mistaken identity" thing is a good omen! Lafayette folks are keen, everybody's related somehow, and if one person knows, everybody knows! :D

You may become something of a celebrity if you're not careful. ;D We'll all recognize you as "Yacht Guy"!

Well, if I'd followed my instincts a couple days out, I'd have found that bike 6 days ago and helped save time. I'm kicking myself. I was going to take the boat to Whiskey Bay landing and search - but figured it had to be saturated by LEOs, and so chose to check the Vermilion, where NO ONE goes. I said upthread that I searched from Milton north to past the airport, up the bayous, then back down past Milton to Abbeville and back, and saw only ONE boat! I search very thoroughly, and likely would have found it.... unless it wasn't there....

If you're following along on local Lafayette news sites, it's not uncommon at all to have horrible grammar and spelling. It's appalling on a regular basis.

I didn't want to say anything, but you are absolutely right. Non-locals following our local media... for the most part, prepare to remain unimpressed.

AND once again I shall invite all guests to join us and have your say - your opinion has value - although you don't need me to tell you that! - and will be valued here.

Hello, I'm new here. I'm familiar with this site as I lurked here when a man from my home town went missing last fall, and I was thankful that his case was getting attention from complete strangers. So thank you!

I hope and pray that Mickey is found alive and well.

With respect to the media, although they frustrate me to no end, they as well are a powerful tool that aids in getting information out quickly (even if they don't get it right).

I am very surprised that we have not heard a leak regarding the condition of the bike.

I've been waiting to hear about that too. I feel like LPD is holding several cards close to its chest, which gives me hope that maybe they're a bit further along with the investigation than we think.

I am a local. I grew up in a small South Louisiana town (population less than 5,000) & when I first moved to Lafayette to attended UL 12 years ago I very much had a small town mentality. I rode my bike everywhere at all hours of the day & night. I also ventured out on foot at night (as it was not unusual to do so in my home town) and twice I met with incident. Once I was offered sex for money by a man in a truck & another time two men in an SUV stopped and asked me for directions. When I approached the vehicle, the driver grabbed for me and I'm pretty positive he would have pulled me through the widow if my friend wouldn't have turned up at that very moment. Needless to say, I never walked anywhere alone after that BUT I still rode my bike thinking nothing like this could ever occur while I was riding. Point is, unfortunately Lafayette has been a dangerous place for a very long time. At that time, 12 years ago, I fit Mickey's description (but with red hair). I think anyone who walks/bikes without ever being confronted by a perv simply doesn't fit the description of the women being targeted. Years later when I returned to UL for a second time, I was blessed to own a vehicle. I was even nervous to walk on campus alone after dark. I pray for Mickey even though I don't know her because over a decade ago this could very well have been me!

Scary account of being grabbed like that. Any young women could be in Mickey's shoes. It's terrible and unfair that so many normal things are unsafe (being out at night, alone, or driving in rural areas) but it's a fact. I had some close calls as a young women, too, and that was long ago.

Whoever said that all of these little missing blonds wouldn't be related is wrong. Serial killers profile their victims and look for certain types. There are too many of these girls for some of them not to be related.

chicken fried...Haha! See? I think your "mistaken identity" thing is a good omen! Lafayette folks are keen, everybody's related somehow, and if one person knows, everybody knows! :D

You may become something of a celebrity if you're not careful. ;D We'll all recognize you as "Yacht Guy"!

It's called the CajunNet - the only thing faster than the Internet. The tight-knit character of Lafayette, and how people talk, is giving Mickey her best shot. People care here about each other here, and are doing their best to bring her home.

That's the important thing...I just giggle when I read a story that says that "The Principle of the high school says...". ;)

I was really hoping that the 10 pm news would have something new to report...doesn't seem that way though.
Lordy, I think I've spent several lifetimes trying to teach students the principle/principal thing. That among other things is a big reason all my hair's grey.

Didn't expect late Sunday news to have much - probably they're working with a reduced crew as it's Memorial weekend, and also just a normal Sunday news team has a minimal amount of staff.

Having a daughter, it is very disheartening sometimes being a P.I. and seeing how oblivious most people are. I sit in a dark tinted vehicle watching and filming people all day and they have no idea theyre being followed.

When I was young and still frequented nightclubs, before I would leave my father gave me the same speech: "Be aware of your surroundings at all times." It's something that's stuck with me my entire life. (Even now as an adult he still tells me that whenever I go anywhere.) But I do agree, once you are in a place that is familiar and feel safe it's easy to forget those words.

I've been waiting to hear about that too. I feel like LPD is holding several cards close to its chest, which gives me hope that maybe they're a bit further along with the investigation than we think.

KATC just reported on their 10 PM newscast that at this time they will not be releasing details about the condition of the bike or whether it was in the water or not. The LEO being interviewed made a comment about trash being around the bike, and that with the fliers up everywhere, it probably helped make the fishermen who found the bike more likely to recognize that it was important and not just more litter.

Once again I am a bit overcome with emotion and compassion as I read here...I am quite proud to be amongst the WSers...newbies and not-so-newbies. :hug:

And I think it is quite remarkable how many locals have recently joined up here since Mickey went missing...could be a record. ;)

The local info is obviously so important for sleuthing and just for following any case, and is so much appreciated.

But this is more: I've observed and now am publicly acknowledging the "spirit of Lafayette" (pronounced like "laugh" ;) , referring to my edjumacation from locals the other nite). Y'all are amazing.

Sorry! We figured out we work together. Everyone can know that!

Thanks for letting Miss Nosey (that be me) know - lol!
Really though, in other cases people begin to form teams and --- well, I'm sure you understand.

That's cool though!

I didn't want to say anything, but you are absolutely right. Non-locals following our local media... for the most part, prepare to remain unimpressed.

I rather put up with bad grammar and spelling then what we are getting out here on the Sierra Lamar case. At least it looks like all your media and newspapers are giving the same story. In Sierra case you can get 5 different stories on the same thing.

It's called the CajunNet - the only thing faster than the Internet. The tight-knit character of Lafayette, and how people talk, is giving Mickey her best shot. People care here about each other here, and are doing their best to bring her home.

Amen, brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member