LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for being here tonight.
I can't get Mickey off of my mind.

To lighten the mood....our family moved from a very large area to a small town while my children were all school-aged. Our youngest son was a jovial soul, always cutting up and making people laugh. He gained quite the reputation in high school, working in the office, and calling unknown people to the principal.

Intercom (my son): Mrs. Beam, I need to ask one of your students to come to the office prepared to leave for the day.

Mrs. Beam: Alright, which student?

Intercom: Harry Hand (Outburst of laughter from the classroom)

Mrs. Beam: What? There is no Harry Hand in my room.

Intercom: Are you sure? Could you please look around? (Ongoing laughter)

Mrs. Beam: Paul, get off that intercom right now! I am reporting you to the principal.

Intercom: Gee, I'm sorry Mrs. Beam...must be a mix up.

So...you get the picture. During Spirit Week, he went over the top dressing up every day in the craziest outfits you've ever seen.
On the last day, in the gym full of the entire student body, imagine his joy and surprise as he was announced "Spirit Week Student of the Year!"
He came home and showed me the beautiful award they had given him, shaped like a baton.
I said, "Son, I'm so proud of you! Your antics finally paid off....you won the Spirit Award!"

"Yeah, well, read it first," he responded.

There printed on across the baton were the words:
"CHS Spirit Awad"

Wow. How nice. A Spirit AWAD.

"Sadly," he said, "when I told them they had misspelled it, they didn't know which word. I had to break it to them that the word "award" has an "r" in it."

"At least you noticed it."

"Yeah."

"And very few people have ever won a 'Spirit Awad.'"

"Yeah...that goes without saying, Mom."

Once again I am a bit overcome with emotion and compassion as I read here...I am quite proud to be amongst the WSers...newbies and not-so-newbies. :hug:

And I think it is quite remarkable how many locals have recently joined up here since Mickey went missing...could be a record. ;)

The local info is obviously so important for sleuthing and just for following any case, and is so much appreciated.

But this is more: I've observed and now am publicly acknowledging the "spirit of Lafayette" (pronounced like "laugh" ;) , referring to my edjumacation from locals the other nite). Y'all are amazing.

I have to say my eyes swell with prideful tears every time I think about my town pulling together like this. You mess with one of us, you mess with us all!

Just came inside from some work. Wanted to post that the reason I think it's important to find the car is NOT so much that it's the perp//// remember that the truck is the one that turned around. The reason the car is important is that it may have passed the point of abduction right about when it was going down, if the suspicions raised by the camera images are valid.

We're looking for a WITNESS in that car, hopefully. And why look for the car? It's more distinctive and easier to find. And so playing the easier card has an outside chance of finding a witness in the Cadillac who saw something, which may may it easier to narrow down the search for the white truck, among thousands.

By the way, just so you know, that Caucasian guy who got into the lighter colored land-yacht who "gave you the willies" was probably me. I'm the only Caucasian I have seen in the whole city driving one, and I shop at Albertson's a lot, usually at night. I look rough quite often when I go in there - usually working in the dirt on some car or working on something else at the place, and I'm tired at the end of the evening and my hair is standing up and full of auto grease and my clothes all dusty....

So, try not to get sidetracked. My car is a '78 Lincoln with opera windows in the rear pillar and the car in the photo is a Cadillac. It would cost the police wasted man-hours to check me out.

My car is silver. Now, if you saw a beat-up "land yacht" that was a Cadillac, with body work on the right rear, then that may be the car.

Funny I had to say that, but it's a small town, and I do drive a beat-up land-yacht, and no sense us going in circles.

Oh my gosh, I'm laughing my arse off.
Hey, I've got an idea. All the peeps posting here who live in Lafayette should apply for those newspaper jobs when this is over.

Thinking more about this case....perhaps the bike was brought and ditched later because he was keeping her alive and couldn't ditch the bike because she would have a chance to escape? So he secures her, and when he gets another chance goes and leaves the bike. I really want to hold on to hope that she's alive. The whole community will be devastated if she isn't--even though statistically the odds aren't in her favor. Speculation, of course, but with no new information and very little go to on, all we have right now is speculation.

What is even more sickening to me to think about is that MS's father reports leaving for work at 2:30 am, and he works offshore...if he is out of Houma, then he could have been passing over the same spot where the bike was being dumped when it was happening, if the bike dump was immediate. And if they ditched the bike and continued East on I-10, he could have been so close to her without even knowing it. It makes me want to cry.

I figured someone would find one! ;) But yeah, like I said, none of us are truly invulnerable and we should all be careful. With all this happening right under my nose, I've been thinking about looking into a self-defense class. I wanted to take one in college but I was doubled up on classes and didn't have time.

Bobbonbelle, when you mentioned driving out in that area at night, I wanted to say something but held back. I'll say it now: PLEASE DON'T.

Thinking more about this case....perhaps the bike was brought and ditched later because he was keeping her alive and couldn't ditch the bike because she would have a chance to escape? So he secures her, and when he gets another chance goes and leaves the bike. I really want to hold on to hope that she's alive. The whole community will be devastated if she isn't--even though statistically the odds aren't in her favor. Speculation, of course, but with no new information and very little go to on, all we have right now is speculation.

What is even more sickening to me to think about is that MS's father reports leaving for work at 2:30 am, and he works offshore...if he is out of Houma, then he could have been passing over the same spot where the bike was being dumped when it was happening, if the bike dump was immediate. And if they ditched the bike and continued East on I-10, he could have been so close to her without even knowing it. It makes me want to cry.

I work offshore and when I leave Lafayette to head to Houma or Fourchon I take hwy 90. Everyone I know takes hwy 90.

Oh my gosh, I'm laughing my arse off.
Hey, I've got an idea. All the peeps posting here who live in Lafayette should apply for those newspaper jobs when this is over.

OT, but when I was in high school, I won first place in District and third in State at the literary rallies... I was SO SURE I was going to be a journalist when I grew up.

Now... not so much.

And on that note, I'm stepping away from the laptop too. The hubby is kinda sniffy about me staying glued to it all day long while he cooked and cleaned and dealt with crackmonkey kids. I think he has a point. :waitasec:

Hopefully tomorrow morning will bring some good news.

How many people have called in the Anonymous Coward already?

Bobbonbelle, when you mentioned driving out in that area at night, I wanted to say something but held back. I'll say it now: PLEASE DON'T.

I've never driven out there by myself at night; it was always with one of my uncles or a trusted friend. Thanks so much for your concern though, I feel now more than ever that being safe is vital.

I work offshore and when I leave Lafayette to head to Houma or Fourchon I take hwy 90. Everyone I know takes hwy 90.

I forgot about Hwy 90...I've never been to Houma myself--I just know I pass signs for it on my way to New Orleans. That's good, though, at least he won't be feeling guilty about that.

This is ridiculous. I just spent my time linking to the posts on GLP you guys requested and it was deleted by a mod I guess. The guy is clearly involved with this crime. He was giving information about her where abouts on 5/21/2012 that no one would of known unless they were involved.

To lighten the mood....our family moved from a very large area to a small town while my children were all school-aged. Our youngest son was a jovial soul, always cutting up and making people laugh. He gained quite the reputation in high school, working in the office, and calling unknown people to the principal.

Intercom (my son): Mrs. Beam, I need to ask one of your students to come to the office prepared to leave for the day.

Mrs. Beam: Alright, which student?

Intercom: Harry Hand (Outburst of laughter from the classroom)

Mrs. Beam: What? There is no Harry Hand in my room.

Intercom: Are you sure? Could you please look around? (Ongoing laughter)

Mrs. Beam: Paul, get off that intercom right now! I am reporting you to the principal.

Intercom: Gee, I'm sorry Mrs. Beam...must be a mix up.

So...you get the picture. During Spirit Week, he went over the top dressing up every day in the craziest outfits you've ever seen.
On the last day, in the gym full of the entire student body, imagine his joy and surprise as he was announced "Spirit Week Student of the Year!"
He came home and showed me the beautiful award they had given him, shaped like a baton.
I said, "Son, I'm so proud of you! Your antics finally paid off....you won the Spirit Award!"

"Yeah, well, read it first," he responded.

There printed on across the baton were the words:
"CHS Spirit Awad"

Wow. How nice. A Spirit AWAD.

"Sadly," he said, "when I told them they had misspelled it, they didn't know which word. I had to break it to them that the word "award" has an "r" in it."

"At least you noticed it."

"Yeah."

"And very few people have ever won a 'Spirit Awad.'"

"Yeah...that goes without saying, Mom."

OMG I laughed so hard my keyboard got a washing.

Much needed thus I thank you!!

You should see the letters that come home from my daughter's school...and she's in the highest rated school in the parish. Last year, she had a spelling test review sent home by the teacher with a spelling word misspelled. It's crazy.

What school is highest rated?

This is ridiculous. I just spent my time linking to the posts on GLP you guys requested and it was deleted by a mod I guess. The guy is clearly involved with this crime. He was giving information about her where abouts on 5/21/2012 that no one would of known unless they were involved.

I don't think we're allowed to link to sites like that or sleuth people who aren't declared a person of interest. But I clicked on a few of those links before it was removed, and it does seem a little creepy. If you feel that it has a bearing on the case, please call it in.

I wouldn't worry much about driving around Lafayette. It's still a pretty safe town. There are places I wouldn't bike at night, but driving is no problemo.

And with that, I'm off to Albertson's to grab something to eat, if they didn't cllose early on Sunday. Land yacht, incoming.

Phone LE and report it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member