LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to all the newcomers .it is scary how we find this forum I know I found this place now called home during the Laci Peterson case 9 years ago and have not left.
The one thing to keep in mind that I try to is this. Remember there is a possibility a relative could read here at one time or another.
So when you post think if your love one was missing would you like to read what you posted.

Welcome to all the newcomers .it is scary how we find this forum I know I found this place now called home during the Laci Peterson case 9 years ago and have not left.
The one thing to keep in mind that I try to is this. Remember there is a possibility a relative could read here at one time or another.
So when you post think if your love one was missing would you like to read what you posted.

Wow, I swear I didn't read your post first prior to mentioning Laci in my post above - weird!

The intriguing aspect of this case, besides the fact that the crime supposedly occured less than 2 blocks from my residence, is the FBI involvment. The rational that it was a college student near the University makes sense. However after scanning through the FBI website I learned that they typically get involved in cases related to online stalking or predators.

According to the FBI's policy in missing persons cases, they are not permitted to release pictures or information about wanted fugitives or information relating to the missing person. Hints the ambiguous clues presented to the public, as well as other security cameras' (Martin & Castille funeral home) vantages that haven't been presented.

As I've stated before we can't rule much out at this point. But we shouldn't jump to conclusions at the same time. Mainly because I believe LPD and FBI know much more than us at this point.

His offense date was 1998, I lived right by one of his victims in 2002-2003 (yoder) and I remember they were looking for him him when I lived there. He was first arrested at age 17 for peeping in windows.

OT, but wasn't the case of DTL cracked when the woman he attempted to rape came forward. I believe his attempt was thwarted when her son came home? He probably would have killed her as he did the others!

It would be nice to do this....but in truthfulness, I probably wouldn't post at all if I thought a victim's family member was reading here regularly. So much of what we do is rough. I think this is why LE doesn't always communicate closely with the family. They try to be sure before they let them in on things....the cold, hard truth is still cold...and hard. Not much way around it.

Not to draw us off topic and into the clutches of an ex-prof who knows his post-war American poetry, but Sylvia Plath, writing about just trying to keep herself alive, ended a poem with these words:

Miracles occur,
If you care to call those spasmodic
Tricks of radiance miracles. The wait's begun again,
The long wait for the angel,
For that rare, random descent.

Even against our better judgement - certainly against our better judgement, as judgement most always is itself certain - we do wait for that miracle, for Mickey.

http://www.angelfire.com/tn/plath/rainy.html

I hear ya - but how are the amateurs getting away with disappearing the bodies of these young women? Even Scott P. couldn't hide Lacey's body for long.

Sometimes I think it is more luck when a person IS found...there are just too many places. I remember a case from years ago, a woman who committed suicide; her body was found on her own property, but it took years...:(

That's exactly when I found this forum and read a lot as a guest before registering, but Laci was the reason.

Perhaps the above poster didn't intend to imply any fault on Mickeys part. Perhaps there is some food for thought within that post. It hasn't been safe for women to walk home alone for years so most women rarely if ever do it. As sad as it is perhaps with the number of missing women we just need to never put ourselves in a situation anytime or anywhere.

We risk ourselves every day, we risk ourselves the moment we step foot outside; we risk ourselve for love, for the love of engaging with the world.

Something I've been wondering: is the family of the victim usually notified of any new developments before the information is released to the press and the public? Does anyone know what the standard procedure is? Just asking because in the past couple of days there have been quite a few indignant posts on the Find Mickey Shunick Now FB page by (I'm assuming) a family member, claiming that news sources have been out of line. This doesn't really have any bearing on the case, just wondering. I've seen a few replies to those posts that are taking the media's side; I hope this doesn't become bitter, because everyone needs to work together.

HOPE

H olding
O n
&
P raying
E xpectantly

I am having trouble thinking up a good reason for ditching the bike where it was found, if indeed Mickie is unharmed at this point...can't come up with one. :(

I'll bite. (Ever the optimist, if you can call it that in this situation.)

Let's say you abducted someone and are holding them for your own purposes. The heat is on and you still have that darn bike in the back of your truck. You better ditch it. But, you don't want to ditch it locally or they have a better chance of tracing it back to you. It's probably better to ditch it somewhere where it looks like you were headed far away.

Or, you've abducted someone for human trafficking purposes. You are headed along I-10 and don't want to keep extraneous evidence along with you. You stop and ditch the bike and then continue on.

Possible?

I think that I saw the car you guys are talking about at Albertsons on Ambassador about 3 weeks ago. I got the willies from someone in the store and after I got in my vehicle, I noticed him walk out and get into a beaten up/falling apart land yacht. I just *cannot* remember if it was that dark of a tan, or much lighter. Same body style though. The other issue is that the driver was Caucasian. *shrug*

I've been lurking for the past few days and the post about the car jolted my memory.

Something I've been wondering: is the family of the victim usually notified of any new developments before the information is released to the press and the public? Does anyone know what the standard procedure is? Just asking because in the past couple of days there have been quite a few indignant posts on the Find Mickey Shunick Now FB page by (I'm assuming) a family member, claiming that news sources have been out of line. This doesn't really have any bearing on the case, just wondering. I've seen a few replies to those posts that are taking the media's side; I hope this doesn't become bitter, because everyone needs to work together.
In an ideal world certainly the family would be informed first; I know they're frustrated, we all would be - but a newsgathering organization does just that: gathers news, and presents it to its reading or viewing public. They have not been out of line here, that I can see. The nature of newsgathering is to get there first.

Can anyone tell from where at the Whiskey Bay Exit the press photo of the police cars was taken?

Attachments

• leveeexit127.jpg
    leveeexit127.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 39

The LPD and FBI are in direct contact with the family and keep them updated. However, at the same time they advise the family to keep details from the public until told otherwise. This can logically effect their investigation, much to our despair.

Ugh. I've followed many, many cases in which the MSM reported information before the family was even notified. Horrible practice. I suspect the problem will only worsen because social media is lightning-quick.

To boot, often in the MSM's haste to get the scoop, published stories are deplorably inaccurate or contradictory or downright vague. It's a huge sleuther pet-peeve!

I'm proud to say, however, in the WS forums, members take it all in stride, call attention to discrepancies, and allow room for the MSM's errors in discussions.

I wish the integrity (and skill...sorry, but I believe journalism has regressed) of the MSM were flawless, but alas....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx