LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered the same because before TES arrived, "last" searches of the day were scheduled for 5pm. Since TES has arrived, last search is at 4pm. Being at Whiskey Bay at midnight sounds like a search party on their own.

Actually before TES got involved searches were going 24/7.

In the seventies, if you were a girl, as far as I know the boys took care of all that. So much for women's lib! Back then, if it was there you were welcome to it - I don't know why but that's the way it was. I'm the type who gets paranoid though so I never was that into it.

Not necessarily....I was business savy in my late teens ......and had cool connections. :woohoo:

I know this is out there, but I'd like to throw it into the pile.

At first I thought this was not an abduction for ransom, but what if that was the case from the get go. (I know it sounds farfetched with all the evidence)

But everyone in Lafayette will tell you, the Find Mickey Shunick Campaign is a huge money machine right now. Benefit concerts and donations.

What if the abductors heard about the $10,000 reward which was put up the first couple of days? Then it went up to $20,000 a few days after, then up to &25,000. and now they said they raised over 40K at the concert this weekend.

Would you just wait for the money to pile up to where you knew they had the money to pay?

And please don't think I'm saying anything bad about the family raising money because I know they need it for search efforts. And again, I know its farfetched, but it's still one of those options where she is still alive and i like to think the best.

BRING MICKEY HOME!!!
I understand what you're saying. The family has released a statement about the donations that can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/findmickeynow

It looks like they are paying for overtime and fuel and whatever else for search efforts.

I Dino what they can do really.....but I think that they could probably grant someone some sort of immunity for the crime of being a drug dealer just to get the info which in this case would definately be the lesser of the two evils. I was thinking the same thing about the bike before they found it if someone had stolen it they could reassure them publicly that they wont be prosecuted for stealinig the bike if they turned in the bike and came forth with specific info as to what time and exact location. Like dude you wont be in trouble just tell us what you know. We wana find Mickey we not worried about who's selling ganga right now. And also if someone did hit her and picked her up reassure them that if they picked her up to nurse her back to health and she's alive bring her to the hospital and tell the truth and they wont prosecute. I think the sister did pretty much say that in a radio interview for 105.1 (I think) not everybody listens to that type of music and if they are from out of town, they may not catch that station. I really think they should make it known throughout everywhere that if they have her and she is still alive they can let her go and not be in trouble. Like give them 48 hours. If she's still alive and being held someone who made a mistake will realize with all the media attention wow I screws up big time and this is my way out.

I partially agree, I think if someone had stolen her bike they should be given immunity if they come forward. If someone saw something that night they should also be able to remain anonymous for their safety and this should be assured by LE. If a drug dealer was meeting with her and came forward to speak of said meeting, yes.

But...if someone has kidnapped her for what ever the reason, i just cannot see immunity being given. First its totally against any statutes, secondly it would set a presidence that you can commit a crime, then as long as you hand back the person after the act in one piece you can walk. This will never happen, and actually in my opinion shouldn't. Just my :twocents: as usual.

Originally Posted by JW1893
Interesting...they had fliers taped up near where the bike was found.

Edit to add: Did you guys tape fliers? Or just scatter them? If that was on Thursday, there's a possibility that the perp taped up a flier themselves--which brings me back to the bike being planted as a taunt to LE

I wonder if the cops took this into consideration And keep the tape to get fingerprints.

What about an abduction nearer to her home. How is the neighborhood there, assuming hypothetically she had made it there? I haven't seen this discussed.

They may not arrest someone for being a drug dealer while they are giving information on a certain unrelated case. But, they will then know that person is a drug dealer and be more likely to bust them in the future than if they remained completely anonymous.

At first I thought this was not an abduction for ransom, but what if that was the case from the get go. (I know it sounds farfetched with all the evidence)

But everyone in Lafayette will tell you, the Find Mickey Shunick Campaign is a huge money machine right now. Benefit concerts and donations.

What if the abductors heard about the $10,000 reward which was put up the first couple of days? Then it went up to $20,000 a few days after, then up to &25,000. and now they said they raised over 40K at the concert this weekend.

Would you just wait for the money to pile up to where you knew they had the money to pay?

And please don't think I'm saying anything bad about the family raising money because I know they need it for search efforts. And again, I know its farfetched, but it's still one of those options where she is still alive and i like to think the best.

BRING MICKEY HOME!!!

Except when it was raised to $25k, it was posted on the Find Mickey Now page that it wouldn't be raised any higher- a cap for the reward was placed then.

However, in a video interview with 107.9, CS said "If you want money, we have a ton of money. You can have it all. Just don't hurt her. Being her home safe." paraphrased.

Also, on the Find Mickey Now page, they have said what the raised funds is being used for and that any left at the conclusion of their effort will be donated to non profits.

Just a note on what fine threads these are, with such an outpouring of obvious caring and concern, of ideas and imagination in aiding the search for Mickey. Ya'll from Lafayette and the region, and all of Louisiana, you impress the hell out of me. GREAT JOB.

BRING MICKEY HOME!!!

She likely was killed within an hour or two of the abduction. I can't think of many cases where the offender has kept a victim alive for much longer than that. So, she'd already have been gone before anyone knew she was missing or raised a single penny.

What about an abduction nearer to her home. How is the neighborhood there, assuming hypothetically she had made it there? I haven't seen this discussed.

Safe. The closer she got to home, the better the quality of the neighborhood, IMO. I live not far from her home, I've never felt uncomfortable there. I used to go out with a guy who worked for the Checkers that is just 2 intersections down from the stoplight she would have used to get home, and when he would work until 3-4 am, I never felt unsafe hanging out in the parking lot waiting for him.

Edit to add: There were plenty of survellience cameras on her route home, I find it hard to believe that if she had made it much farther than she did that they wouldn't have released footage of her in those locations, nor would they be so interested in the car and truck.

She likely was killed within an hour or two of the abduction. I can't think of many cases where the offender has kept a victim alive for much longer than that. So, she'd already have been gone before anyone knew she was missing or raised a single penny.

I would believe that she was taken for sex... and would be kept alive much longer... and still alive.

It's pretty wasteful to just kill the girl right away. A lot of effort.. short payoff.

That's perfectly rational, but...I don't know, I have a hard time believing she would do that. Leave on her own and bike further into a bad part of town to get pot at 2 AM, I mean. Didn't she say she was too tired to wait for the others to go to Mel's Diner? Marijuana isn't that big of a deal (yes I know it's illegal); I don't think she would have kept it from everyone she knew.

I kind of think that if she did deviate from her usual route, it may have been to meet a guy. I have a hard time believing that a young, beautiful college girl had "no boyfriends." Maybe she wanted to keep him secret for some reason.

JMO of course! :)

My observations and comments by Mickey's friends lead me to believe that MS may have preferred girlfriends to boyfriends. She was 21 and didn't have romantic boyfriends. Now everyone please don't go into an uproar as I'm not making a judgment, I'm calling it as I see it. If I'm wrong, someone who knows her can set me straight. And it doesn't matter one way or the other except, if we begin speculating that she was on her way to hook up with some guy when that's not an option she'd make, then we're wasting our time considering that possiblity.

They may not arrest someone for being a drug dealer while they are giving information on a certain unrelated case. But, they will then know that person is a drug dealer and be more likely to bust them in the future than if they remained completely anonymous.

It would be good in many cases, not only this one to have a liaison of sorts, someone who can speak the language of the hood and who they would feel comfortable and trust. Our system is often flawed sadly. I just wish their were avenues for the underbelly, the more seedy and the criminal to come forward to report without feeling that they would be further persecuted....This is just my opinion, in a perfect world right....

The picture of the while truck, heading in the opposite direction, is the one that got me, apparently the car getting gas has just gotten there, because the owner is standing there filling up his tank. The, the other pictures, no one is standing there, so he must be inside paying.

not sure if im following what youre saying......but theres not a single gas station anywhere near me that lets you fill up your car first around here. especially at night. its prepay the pump EVERYWHERE here (about 3 hours north of Lafayette). although it may admittedly be different there. its been years since ive driven through.

I was going to say last night that it looked as if the rear side panel had primer on it.

That's why I'm being so dogged on this.

That a RARE car down here.

That's the only one I've seen in Lafayette.

The color I remember matches the surveillance cam.

I am completely satisfied that the car in the surveillance cam is a 1977-'84 Oldsmobile 98.

Add all that together and I think they've got the "shady car" - if they'll just pull the OMV records and look.

I hope they are doing so.

I would believe that she was taken for sex... and would be kept alive much longer... and still alive.

It's pretty wasteful to just kill the girl right away. A lot of effort.. short payoff.

Again I have to express digust for the whole idea of someone just serving himself to a live human being for the purpose of sex. It disgusts me.

Except when it was raised to $25k, it was posted on the Find Mickey Now page that it wouldn't be raised any higher- a cap for the reward was placed then.

However, in a video interview with 107.9, CS said "If you want money, we have a ton of money. You can have it all. Just don't hurt her. Being her home safe." paraphrased.

Also, on the Find Mickey Now page, they have said what the raised funds is being used for and that any left at the conclusion of their effort will be donated to non profits.

And CS felt that she had to explain where that money was going b/c there were a handful of people accusing the family of trying to make a quick buck. I'm sure none of THEM had given a penny! Although there was this one chick claiming she and her friends had donated money, and I guess she wasn't giving from her heart, b/c she somehow thought she needed to blast the amount publicly and insist that they were able to afford everything they needed with that money and had no business asking for certain food/drinks for the volunteers. But, for every 1 idiot posting that stuff, there were 20 people donating time/money/supplies. I'm glad they had deleted all those nasty comments, it was ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3