LA - Parents Sleep As Pup Chews Off Baby's Toes

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PrayersForMaura said:
I'm sorry, but this dog looks so sweet and so cute. It doesn't look mean. It actually looks sad and scared. Look at it's little sad eyes and facial expression. I feel bad for the puppy, I don't think he was mean and intentionally wanted to hurt anyone. It just happened. It is definitely the parents' carelessness and lack of attention and protection to and of their baby.

babybitpitbull1.jpg

Teresa Miller, who sold the puppy to the Hansches, was skeptical the dog did it.

"He didn't chew on anything while he was with me. Out of all of them (in the litter), he was the least chewy." http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/4877961.html
Sorry, I'm not impressed. I won't be swayed by a "cute" picture. You didn't witness the animal in the moment. The picture of the Presa Canarios that fatally mauled Dianne Whipple looked contrite afterwards too...

Mean people don't look mean too - and whatever the pup did, he doesn't think he did anything wrong - he's a dog!

There are lots and lots of puppies euthanized because there just aren't enough homes for them to go around. If putting the puppy to sleep that gnawed off a baby's toes (and I think it probably did do so) will allow another puppy, who never harmed another creature to get a home, than I can be happy with that. I don't think they are going to let the puppy live, it is too much of a liability to do so. It's sad, and the blame falls on the "stupid pet owners". Sometimes innocents pay the price for arrogant stupidity though. :(

Meduza said:
Hmmm, why did this story honestly even make the news, because it was a pitbull.
I think anytime an animal chews off a baby's toes while the parents are in the same room, that it's going to make the news.

I don't have an opinion on pitbulls, either way, I just really think that this would have hit the headlines no matter what kind of animal was involved. It's just a weird, disturbing story.

Meduza said:
Hmmm, why did this story honestly even make the news, because it was a pitbull. I have been around animals all my life and I'm sorry but I feel pitbulls are getting a bad rep.

I guess what I am saying is one, it was a pup doing what pups do, nursing and/or teething. Did it know that what it was doing was wrong, nope and does it really matter what breed it was, nope. It what doing what came natural to it.
Wolves are not pit bulls. I'd own/trust a wolf any day over a pit bull.

P.S. I've had dogs all my life too, I grew up always having 3 dogs at a time, so I do have plenty of dog experience. I've even pulled apart 2 large male Labs who were fighting each other with only my bare hands!

LinasK said:
Wolves are not pit bulls. I'd own/trust a wolf any day over a pit bull.

P.S. I've had dogs all my life too, I grew up always having 3 dogs at a time, so I do have plenty of dog experience. I've even pulled apart 2 large male Labs who were fighting each other with only my bare hands!
Who's a silly girl then lol, you shouldnt do that you know, water is a good way to separate them..you could have got bitten yourself..

I'm not high and mighty!...I just questioned the parents choice of dog...because whichever way you look at it pit bulls are a volatile breed...

Sorry but I don't buy any of that. A mother hears her children's cries no matter what. Any mother can attest to that. Plus the baby didn't need to be sleeping in an infant carrier for pete's sake.Those can tip at stong movement (like a tantrum)and since the mother didn't hear her baby cry when it's foot was being eaten, I am sure she wouldn't hear a baby tantrum. There was something that kept her from hearing the baby. Isn't it weird to pull a matress in a living room to look at TV? A little. Do dog's normally eat people, not unlesss they are hungry, which this dog obviously was. Who's being high and mighty? Nobody made fun of them for being poor. A child is now maimed because of this and all you care about is if we are judging the parents?

narlacat said:
Who's a silly girl then lol, you shouldnt do that you know, water is a good way to separate them..you could have got bitten yourself..
Yes, I know... Normally I would run from a situation like that, but I was the only one around, they were my neighbors' dogs, and they were going to fight to the death(go for the throat). They were both jealous of each other and territorial males. My neighbor owned each of them at different points in his life and didn't realize they wouldn't get along. I grabbed the larger one because he knew me and liked women and I dragged him into my yard and closed the gate.

Well, they are totally banned in the UK I hear, there must be a reason for that.

IMO, that puppy is way too young for this to have happened like it's been reported. Anything is possible, but geez...I dunno.

I watched the story on Nancy Grace tonight, and again on Headline News, and they had a pet ferret also that has been confiscated and quarantined. I think ferrets are cute as hell, but I think it's possible that the ferret is the culprit, too. Aren't they very "chewy" type animals??? I mean, since the parents were asleep, they don't really KNOW if it truly was the puppy.

I do agree that dogs act in a manner that depicts how they've been raised. As far as the presa canarios go, the ones that mauled Diane Whipple to death in California....those things were monstrous, and IMO, they never looked "contrite". They are mean-*advertiser censored* looking SOB's if I've ever seen one. They were known to be viscious. The disgusting owners (lawyers even) raised them to attack and kill....that was their sole purpose.

I will say that even though I think it's all about how you raise a dog, I wouldn't ever leave my baby so "exposed", unattended, on the floor with a ferret and dog in my house. These parents look like they are very young, and most likely, they just didn't know any better.

Hms said:
I don't normally post on this board but I found myself really annoyed by your ignorance! I am a firm believer that people should educate themselves before spewing bs from their mouths!

Please follow this link and count the number of fatal attacks on humans at the mouths of pit-bulls v. other breeds. It might also be helpful if you read about how the attacks occurred!http://americaagainstbsl.tripod.com/fatal_dog_attacks.html

By the way, there is no evidence that states that a puppy(of any breed) is capable of showing aggression at such a young age.

I personally feel that uneducated people should be euthanized, not poor innocent animals. JMO!
I agree with your post... and wanted to add...
I have an American Eskimo and I can guarantee that IF she was raised in
the wrong house.. she would be a dangerous dog!

Also.. my husband is a letter carrier (mail man) and has been for
over 20 years. He has been bit by 3 dogs... and not one was a pit-bull!!

My neighbor had 2 German Shepard that pulled another neighbors tiny
dog through their fence and ripped it apart!
I truly believe it's the owners that make the dogs bad... not the breed of the dog!

narlacat said:
I'm not high and mighty!...I just questioned the parents choice of dog...because whichever way you look at it pit bulls are a volatile breed...
That is just your opinion. There are many of us here that think that they are wonderful, beautiful dogs. Again, I think that they are great pets if treated right. Any animal is capapble of unpredictable behavior.

PrayersForMaura said:
I'm sorry, but this dog looks so sweet and so cute. It doesn't look mean. It actually looks sad and scared. Look at it's little sad eyes and facial expression. I feel bad for the puppy, I don't think he was mean and intentionally wanted to hurt anyone. It just happened. It is definitely the parents' carelessness and lack of attention and protection to and of their baby.

babybitpitbull1.jpg

Teresa Miller, who sold the puppy to the Hansches, was skeptical the dog did it.

"He didn't chew on anything while he was with me. Out of all of them (in the litter), he was the least chewy." http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/4877961.html

What a sweet little face. I hope the pup is placed with a responsible family with no children.

Jeana (DP) said:
What a sweet little face. I hope the pup is placed with a responsible family with no children.

My thoughts exactly. I feel very badly for the puppy - remember he's a baby too. One of my dogs (we have two Shih Tzus) was such a chewer as a pup - and I mean he gnawed just about anyhing - be it the table leg, my hand, the skirting board. Anyway taught him that was naughty and he doesn't do it anymore. He learned that it was naughty. But if we leave the dogs for any period of time I make sure he has a bone - just in case!

My dog is adorable, great with kids, such a friendly little thing but there is no way on earth I would let him anywhere near a baby. No way at all.

They were just obviously the wrong household for a dog full stop. My best friends baby is due next week, and they've taken so many precautions to ensure that their dog will not get near the baby.

The dog should not be condemned. I understand that Pit Bulls are a dangerous breed, but that dog needs a loving home, with people who are prepared to teach him and love him. Not to be put to sleep.

My thoughts go out to the little baby.

First of all, I invite those of you who may not be acquainted with our Terms of Service to read them or re-read them as necessary. We do not permit cussing at Websleuths. If you've got a comment about this story, feel free to post it. If you've got a comment about another poster, keep it to yourself. I'd hate to lock this thread, but I will if you all can't conduct yourselves like grown ups.

I am not a fan of pitbulls but however in this case I don't blame the puppy. she is just a baby and i don't think that it was being mean or anything. I agree that it probably isn't great for a pitbull in the house with a baby but they really probably didn't think that this puppy would have hurt there baby....atleast I hope. As for the mattress being in the floor...so what, what does that mean? Maybe they didn't have lots of money or maybe they wanted to lay together and watch tv. I don't think that has anything to do with any kind of character. I wouldn't put my mattress in my living room only because I am to lazy to drag it downstairs and wouldn't want to take it back up. I don't know that them not hearing was because they were drugged up but they could have just been out. It is possible that they work alot and maybe have a colicky baby who finally fell asleep and they just crashed. I am a very very heavy sleeper and I mean heavy and was surprised at how well I heard all my children when they would cry but I do know that there were a few times when I would be so exusted that I wouldn't for awhile and it broke my heart. So I don't know the circumstances with that and them not hearing the screams it's hard to imagine that they wouldn't, I would like to hear more to the story before I truly make up my mind.

Jeana (DP) said:
I agree. I feel the poor puppy was starving and that's why s/he tried to find some food/milk. I hope that they didn't leave this puppy with the owners as I would not want them to hurt him/her for what ultimately resulted from their negligence.

I originally mentioned the couple bringing the mattress to the living room as a way to rationalize that they might not have had furniture, i.e. a crib. My comments were not that these people were poor and that's why their dog bit off their baby's toes. So I hope people stop bringing up the stupid mattress thing.

They were negligent and now the baby will pay for it for the rest of her life.

nanandjim said:
Really, I'm assuming that your post is directed at me. If this is the case, I am not focusing on the dog. I am focusing on the complete picture, which includes the breed of the dog.

I think that having a pit bull when you have a baby lacks judgment. I think that allowing the baby to be exposed to any pet lacks judgment.

At the risk of repeating myself, I think that the parents were at the very least negiglent.

and you are allowed to think the way you want and i can think the way i want.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzyQuinn
Back