LA LA - Shane Fell, 36, Marrero, 9 June 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bessie, as much as I hate to ask, can you work police reports w/address of shop & view of neighborhood or if you've already done it, pardonnezz-moi. I'm a Luddite & don't google. Is it a ?? Area? Why does the shoe still bother me? How far can you go with 1 shoe in muck? If he was possibly hit by another car, is there evidence? What did the Jeff parish CSI find at scene??

Someone posted the actual location earlier, and it is not even at an intersection. Given that this detail is incorrect, I wouldn't put too much stock in the word "seen" being used here. My guess is it refers to the brother's call.

You could well be right. I am not sure myself. To see or not to see ....
I think it is pretty weird when words lose their meaning. It makes websleuthing rather complicated. I hope someone from the family will join WS and clarify these matters.

If SF had indeed already left the location of the crash and was already at the intersection of River Road and Barataria Boulevard when he spoke with his brother, and if he turned into Barataria Boulevard after that, he had a lot of options if he wanted to hide. I'm taking the tour with streetview now.... haven't seen any daiquiri shops yet. But lots of corners and he could hide next to the railway at 4th Street as well for instance.
If I were dizzy after a car crash, I would not climb that levee, I'd pick Barataria Boulevard instead.

If if if if....

This why I assume some letting on is happening( omitting details) . where Is this man phone. why didn't the brother call the police to meet him there.? why didn't he call the ambulance to meet him there. why didn't he call a tow truck? where are his car key? Theses are common thing anyone would do before they head out regardless of family member defiance in the matter that be. Why didn't he tell him to stay put in the car.

IM not accusing anybody of anything but a lot detail are being omitted. A shoe in the mud means unless it rained really hard his foot print should be some what seen in the mud and even on the ground some what. Unless someone carried him or he travel on rocks.

Im just in awe of these events why didn't he ask him to stay on the phone and stay put? Stuff like this saves lives. Im not blaming the brother. he might have thought everything was ok. But when a family is hurt or in distress you bring the whole army.. You cant go out there alone like that. I think its more to whats, being said.

Good points!

Do we know for sure that Brett did not call the police or rescue squad personnel? I agree with the above poster who said that somebody called them because the LE and, I would assume rescue squads were there with twenty minutes of the accident.

During all this conversation and searching, does anyone know where Shane's parents were at this time? It seems from the brief video I saw, they second-handheldly reported what Brett said he did. Would still like to know if Shane called Brett or Brett called Shane?

We also don't know about the person who called in to report seeing the car wreck. Good points! Was this the person who could have been with Shane when the accident occurred? Do we know for sure that Shane was alone when he had the accident? It is really strange when the dispatch operator asked the caller if she (I believe it was a female) asked "Is anybody else in the vehicle?" and the caller said, "The windshield wipers were on." Do I have that information correct?

The caller's response was not a direct answer to a direct question.

Satch

This is Charley Projects account on the case:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fell_shane.html

I just started with the posts on this case. My initial thought was that Shane was disoriented after the accident and drowned in the river. However, some accounts say it was very shallow water. However, a person can drown in shallow water. For instance, people who drown in bathtubs.

It would reason if this was the case that his body would be found. Here are some beginning scenarios that I have:

Shane was more hurt than he thought, became disoriented and lost. He could still be alive as a victim of amnesia.

What rivers or lakes exist in the accident's vicinity? Shane being disoriented could have fallen into one of them and drowned with his body swept away.

Did Shane met with foul play. Is it known where he was going that day or night after meeting his brother at the Daiquiri Shop? How much did Shane drink at the Daiquiri Shop? Drug problems?

What about Shane's relationships with family and friends?

Satch

Hi, Satch. We're talking about the Mississippi River, and it's hardly shallow at New Orleans. You can't just fall into it, either. From that location at 6025 River Rd, you first have to scale the levee and cross a paved ditch -- which might or might not have held water at the time -- and then plod through muck and shrubs before you finally reach the river's edge, 400' from the road.

As you said, bodies that go in the river almost always pop up somewhere. There's too much traffic on the river for a body to go unnoticed, imo.

On the other hand, if barges were at the wharf, he could've gotten trapped beneath one. That happened to a tourist TES recovered from the MR at Canal St several years ago. I don't think that's the case here, though.

Brett called Shane. He said so in an interview I watched.

The 911 caller was a male. You can hear a clip of it in one of the videos.

I am wondering how we even know when the accident happened? Is it possible it happened long before Brett called Shane?

Good points!

Do we know for sure that Brett did not call the police or rescue squad personnel? I agree with the above poster who said that somebody called them because the LE and, I would assume rescue squads were there with twenty minutes of the accident.

During all this conversation and searching, does anyone know where Shane's parents were at this time? It seems from the brief video I saw, they second-handheldly reported what Brett said he did. Would still like to know if Shane called Brett or Brett called Shane?

We also don't know about the person who called in to report seeing the car wreck. Good points! Was this the person who could have been with Shane when the accident occurred? Do we know for sure that Shane was alone when he had the accident? It is really strange when the dispatch operator asked the caller if she (I believe it was a female) asked "Is anybody else in the vehicle?" and the caller said, "The windshield wipers were on." Do I have that information correct?

The caller's response was not a direct answer to a direct question.

Satch

Brett called Shane first. Shortly afterward, Shane called Brett.

"I spoke to him twice on the phone. The first time was when I called him, and then talked to him for about three minutes, and then he called me back, a short time later just to make sure I was on the way. He sounded a little panicky, you know I guess from over turning your car," said Fell.
After a Thursday night out at Rum Runners, a pool hall off Barataria Blvd., and only five minutes from the accident, Brett says he, his brother, and about eight other guys went their separate ways. Brett says he just happened to call Shane around 12:40 on that morning and that's when he told him he was in a single car accident, and his car flipped over.

A few minutes later, Brett says Shane called him back to make sure he was on his way. Brett says that was the last time he heard from his brother.
http://www.fox8live.com/story/18751472/disappearance-of-west-bank-man-still-a-mystery-one-year-later

Brett still wonder how Shane could go missing after they spoke just moments before on the phone en route to help, “He told me he was ok. I asked him if there was anybody else involved in the accident. He said no. When I called, he just never picked up again and that was the last time I heard from him.”

After talking to a few folks familiar in this area, I am starting to think maybe he was intoxicated as someone else mentioned here, and maybe was walking around a bit. I would love to know if he was seen with both shoes on or not. Anyways this area could have had higher water levels, and with that sometimes alligators. I am wondering if one got him, esp if he was drunk and taunting it in someway. Could explain the disappearance as well as the shoe left in the mud. Where there any tracks of gators in the area? Reports anytime around the disappearance in the area?

(1st public post) Now to make the rest of my profile, just had to get this idea out of my head.

Perhaps we could ask Bessie to weigh in on that section of Marrero..I've only been there twice. The East Bankers of NOLA tend to refer to the West Bank of the river as the 'Worst Bank' wholly unfair, & I'd live in Algiers Point in a little cottage in a heartbeat. I will, however, ask a woman I know here in the *advertiser censored* end of nowhere who is from there, an area that floods all too easily, what that area is like. Do we have addresses for the shop? Or the surrounding area? I know Bessie put up google maps.

And yes, in Louisiana we still have *advertiser censored* fights (that's not sounding good--rooster fights,) it's illegal but on highway 14 you could still see signs 'fight at ___ bar sat nite' And drive-thru Daiquiri shops. Not good, I know.

I grew up on that side of the river - we Westbankers refer to it as the BEST BANK! (even though I don't live there anymore I've gotta represent) ;)

While that area where he wrecked isn't one I'd want to be in alone at night by myself as a single woman for long- I can think of far worse places to be stranded after an accident. I'd want to get out of there if I was alone, but I wouldn't be freaking out & desperately trying to get away, if that makes sense.

Best I know that daiquiri shop is not the kind of place that has *advertiser censored* fights. More like just a place to drink, meet people, & play video poker on a chill night.

I grew up in the same suburb where Shane's family lives and some of my family & friends know the Fell family & their friends. For what it's worth, I have NEVER heard anyone say a bad word about Shane or his past. I've NEVER heard any gossip that he had a drug problem or any other problems (like problems with exes, etc).

Take it as rumor since I'm obviously not an insider or anything. But there essentially are NO bad rumors on the Westbank about Shane. All I've ever heard is that he was a loving uncle & friendly, caring guy.

ETA: I've also tried to notify the family via the Facebook page that Shane is currently the featured cold case on WS. I hope they will join and become verified insiders. Verification process for insiders:
Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I have not read anything that stated the weather conditions were dangerous or that this was an especially dangerous part of the road. Are there deer in the woods? I ask because there has to be a reason why his car flipped. It is not something that happens in the normal course of driving. He was either drunk (didn't his brother mention he was afraid of a DUI), reckless or trying to avoid something like a deer or maybe an oncoming car that just kept going. Perhaps he told his brother what happened.

I am agreement with many of the posters who thought that Shane had impaired judgement at the time. Even if he were sober, it is very possible he had a not so obvious brain injury that affected his judgement (as many have mentioned) Or he could even just be in shock. Or bleeding internally that slowed down blood flow to the brain. Either way, after the accident he clearly had impaired judgement. His brother called him, he did not initially call his brother. Anyone thinking clearly would call for help, whether it be the police, a friend or relative. But he did not do that.

As many have suggested, I think it very likely that he wandered off and succumbed to his injuries. Perhaps the second call was around the time he started to wander and he was frightened. Or maybe he was already out of the car and walking around by the time of the first call. My condolences go out to the family. I feel the best way to help them would be to be to somehow organize a better search of the area around the crash.

I do have one question though. Do they know who the 911 caller was and did he ever see Shane? I may have missed something, but all I read was that he said the windshield wipers were still worked (which others have mentioned in unlikely due to the appearance of the car)

OK, OK, I give in!!:truce: coming from Tremé....:floorlaugh: no room to talk. I'll have to look at that map again. If they're any gators around, they be in a bayou. Still thinking head wound was more traumatic than he realized. I really need to go back to look at Bessie's timeline & police report. If I had time, KT, I'd go look at a current Sanborn fire map of that area. And there's that gd shoe:twocents:

I have not read anything that stated the weather conditions were dangerous or that this was an especially dangerous part of the road. Are there deer in the woods? I ask because there has to be a reason why his car flipped.

RSBM & BBM

Locals call this part of the road the Dead Man's Curve. So, yes it is dangerous. On the FB page you can find some pictures of other accidents that have happened there.

I don't see many woods in the area, it is mostly industrial with some fields, and the river of course. See River Road and Barataria Boulevard, Marrero Louisiana on google maps. (I hope the link works, if not, give it a try with google search.)

RSBM & BBM

Locals call this part of the road the Dead Man's Curve. So, yes it is dangerous. On the FB page you can find some pictures of other accidents that have happened there.

I don't see many woods in the area, it is mostly industrial with some fields, and the river of course. See River Road and Barataria Boulevard, Marrero Louisiana on google maps. (I hope the link works, if not, give it a try with google search.)
Thank you for clarifying this. I guess i had missed this in the discussion and the articles. I guess he was taking the curve two quickly.

RSBM & BBM

The accident actually occurred a mile west of Barataria.
bEt1y8l.jpg

The "woods" we've mentioned refers to the wooded area between the road and the river. It's hard to discern in this photo, but there is a tall levee and a paved ditch in between.

2FcAfru.jpg

After talking to a few folks familiar in this area, I am starting to think maybe he was intoxicated as someone else mentioned here, and maybe was walking around a bit. I would love to know if he was seen with both shoes on or not. Anyways this area could have had higher water levels, and with that sometimes alligators. I am wondering if one got him, esp if he was drunk and taunting it in someway. Could explain the disappearance as well as the shoe left in the mud. Where there any tracks of gators in the area? Reports anytime around the disappearance in the area?

(1st public post) Now to make the rest of my profile, just had to get this idea out of my head.
Oh, boy! You just had to go and say that word. LOL

This big guy was trying to make his way up the levee a few miles from my home in May of 2011. (This is on the opposite side of the river from the site of Shane's accident.)

-89b47bd38dd5d1e1.JPG

-eaa6df44ab3aadc0.JPG

http://www.nola.com/environment/index.ssf/2011/05/10-foot_alligator_found_shot_a.html

Anything is possible, and I will say I've seen alligators in places they never should have been. By June 9, however, after the Bonnet Carre Spillway was open, and the waters receded below flood stage in Orleans and Jefferson Parishes, I *think* it's unlikely. Regardless, I question whether he could have made his way to the river bank.

FoliPYH.jpg

This gives a slightly better perspective. There's an access road at the crown of the levee, and the concrete ditch is alongside of it. You can see there was water in the ditch when this image was captured.

Sorry if I missed it, but do we know if they found Shane's cell phone?

Okay, so it is about 475 feet from the accident site to the river? And we know there is barbed wire fence all along that road. I have to think if he wanted to hide, he would have gone over the levee toward that forest. Question is - how long would it have taken him to hit the river, and would they have heard his phone ringing within that 475 foot distance?

I am really wondering why he called his brother back, it must have been a really short time after the first call. Did something spook him, or something change? Why else would he call him again?

More questions than answers I know...

Neesaki - I don't think they found the phone.

Also - I think the lost shoe just points to his inebriation or to a head injury that he wasn't aware of.

What a great, clear picture of the accident site. Up until I saw it just now, I was leaning toward him wandering into the water, but now that I've seen what it actually looks like, if we are using confusion or head injury as the reason he would have wandered, I don't think he could have made it to the water. He would have to go up the levee, across the concrete ditch, through the grass to the trees and into the water. It just seems far more likely to me that had he headed in that direction, he would have been found before the water.

The 911 caller, if you listen to it played back, was quite confused. I'm not sure he even really knew what he was looking at. He may have even thought Shane had been ejected from the vehicle. I don't look at his call as suspicious. I think he was honestly trying to wrap he head around what he was seeing, because even to him, minutes after, the whole scene did not make sense.

I also don't think Shane ran. There would be no reason to run. He had already talked to his brother, who had already told him, "You've had a couple beers. You're going to be arrested. I am on my way to come get you." He knew his brother was coming to bail him out of jail. There was no reason for him to run.

The entire ordeal is baffling.

This poor family. My heart hurts for them. I want them to get answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColeTyler