Lance Armstrong Doping Scandal

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The man survived cancer and wanted to prove to himself that he could accomplish anything, and now they want to take it away? That's crazy. I don't care what they say Lance you earned it and won it all. I don't blame you for walking away, you fought for your life now they want you to fight for some medals, let them keep their stinking medals. You beat cancer and won the Tour de France 7 times, and they can't take that away.

I read awhile ago that the runners up in each of the seven Tours de France Armstrong won - who are now technically winners of those races - also each have their own doping problems, i.e., they're suspected of it too but whether action will be taken, who knows.

I never liked Lance Armstrong; he seemed too eager to attach his name to any product that would pay him to, and I did suspect him of doping, especially with the success of his comeback.

I know Travis Tygart, the guy who prosecuted Lance, and I can guarantee that he is a straight shooter and believes to his very core in clean sport free from corruption. Two years ago he was given a detailed confession about what went on in Lance's former team (US Postal, yes, sponsored by the Post Office) and he did what any prosecutor would do...he started an investigation. There was also a federal government investigation into possible racketeering opened up at the time too Eventually more than 10 cyclists and multiple team staff came forward and gave Travis and USADA detailed information. They were all prepared to testify against Lance at an arbitration hearing. Travis had no choice but to prosecute this, it's his job and there was overwhelming evidence against Lance.

This is not just about Lance using performance enhancing drugs to win bike races. It's about:

- Lance and team management pressuring other team members into using drugs. This happened many, many times over the years and it's a horrible thing to do.

- Lance and team management acquiring drugs and selling them to team members...trafficking drugs. This included extremely unsafe experimental drugs like Hemassist that were never even approved for human use.

- Lance paid large amounts of money (bribes) to the governing body of the sport, the UCI, to have them look the other way and cover up his doping. The real injustice here is that the UCI management has not been held accountable. The top of the sport is extremely corrupt and Lance was able to use his fame and large amounts of cash to basically join in cahoots with the UCI Presidents.

As for Lance and cancer. I think the inspiration he has provided is terrific. But sadly, his accomplishments came while using some of the same dangerous drugs that doctors only prescribe to cancer patients with serious anemia. Many here have probably had loved ones, or even themselves, take erythropoietin and know how that drug should only be taken with great care.

So Lance did all he could...he gave in to USADA and is doing his best to win the PR war. But don't be fooled into thinking he's a victim of the system...far from it. When you play the system like he did there's going to be some pushback from the true watchdogs.

And all the people blaming Lance Armstrong were found guilty of illegal use of drugs and/or other things, but it's not about nailing the innocent guy, right?Did they all test positve and Lance didn't? OH, PUHLEEZ. And I don't even like the guy.

And all the people blaming Lance Armstrong were found guilty of illegal use of drugs and/or other things, but it's not about nailing the good guy, right? OH, PUHLEEZ. And I don't even like the guy.
Mmhh, everyone around him doped except the good Lance? And they are now all lying under oath that he did dope because they want to nail the only good guy in the team?

Lance gave up fighting the charges because it is the least worse option. Continue lying and he will risk jail time, or tell the truth and then everybody think of him as a doper. Now at least he can keep up the myth that he was the only one that didn't dope.

And I love Lance. He was the best of all them dopers. Those tests hardly ever catch anyone. Who of the runner ups will they give those 7 titles to? Zülle, Ullrich, Beloki, Klöden, Basso? All were involved in doping at some stage. I say let Lance keep his titles :)

This link has the charging documents from the USADA case, listing all the allegations against him.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303734204577464954262704154.html
Lance was charged along with his team manager (Bruyneel) and 4 other individuals (3 doctors and 1 other Postal team employee), those are the other names referred to in the filing.
More specific evidence will be released when USADA gives the formal verdict to the international cycling union. That should be done sometime in the next few weeks, but I'm not sure if they are going to release all the information at that point or wait until all of the cases are finished?
edit- now that I think of it I'm not sure those are actually all of the allegations against them? But the letter does cover all the basics.

Mmhh, everyone around him doped except the good Lance? And they are now all lying under oath that he did dope because they want to nail the only good guy in the team?

Lance gave up fighting the charges because it is the least worse option. Continue lying and he will risk jail time, or tell the truth and then everybody think of him as a doper. Now at least he can keep up the myth that he was the only one that didn't dope.

And I love Lance. He was the best of all them dopers. Those tests hardly ever catch anyone. Who of the runner ups will they give those 7 titles to? Zülle, Ullrich, Beloki, Klöden, Basso? All were involved in doping at some stage. I say let Lance keep his titles :)

<modsnip>If they tested positive and he didn't, then, yes, that's the way it was. I would rather go with the facts. I already stated, I don't even like the guy. Can't you imagine what thirteen years of this has done to his family, his children, his finances? And it won't ever go away. People will believe he's guilty no matter what.<modsnip>

And all the people blaming Lance Armstrong were found guilty of illegal use of drugs and/or other things, but it's not about nailing the innocent guy, right?Did they all test positve and Lance didn't? OH, PUHLEEZ. And I don't even like the guy.

No, they didn't all test positive. Two of them did but the other 9+ didn't. You have to realize that they started talking because there was a criminal investigation and they felt like it was more important to tell the truth to a grand jury than to perjure themselves. Even though USADA wasn't privy to grand jury info, the cyclists who rode with Lance all decided to do the right thing and testify for USADA in the doping arbitration.

]<snipped>
I never liked Lance Armstrong; he seemed too eager to attach his name to any product that would pay him to,

Yeah that bugs me too. People may not realize that he has both a Livestrong.org site and Livestrong.com. Livestrong.org is the site of his cancer foundation but Livestrong.com is a for-profit site. It's a content farm site like EHow or Examiner...with tons of low quality articles that are basically spam. The company that runs it, Demand Media, is an expert in search engine optimization. They know how to game the Google search system to always keep their pages at the top of searches. It's something Google does a lot of fighting against but Demand Media is very good at it.

I just don't like how he pimps out the good name of Livestrong for profit. Yes, his foundation does get some revenue from it, but it seems wrong to me. You wouldn't see the American Cancer Society doing something like that.

Like I said, I think what he has represented to cancer survivors has been wonderful, and he's done a lot of good himself. But the myth is often very different than the reality. He's a complex guy whose personal issues always seem to play out in the largest way possible.

Jeff Seidel: Dearborn couple says Lance Armstrong admitted using drugs
August 25, 2012

By Jeff Seidel

Detroit Free Press Columnist

Betsy Andreu, who lives in Dearborn, claimed for years that she heard champion cyclist Lance Armstrong admit to using performance-enhancing drugs.

Betsy's husband, Frankie Andreu, was a member of Armstrong's cycling team and one of Armstrong's best friends. Armstrong and Frankie even lived together for a time.

Andreu and her husband say they were in a hospital with Armstrong in 1996 when they heard him telling doctors he used performance enhancers.

The couple gave depositions about Armstrong and paid a price. Frankie lost his job, Betsy said...

http://www.freep.com/article/201208...-Dearborn-couple-says-he-admitted-using-drugs

To dope or not to dope... Well, I'd say it's much more likely that Lance did dope! As far as him passing all those drug tests, so what. Marion Jones passed hundreds of tests too. Lots of athletes beat the tests. And now faced with his case going to court, Lance says he is heroically giving up his long fight. How convenient and PR handy.

I don't think passing the tests means all that much.
It might just mean that they don't know how to detect whatever substance an athlete is using.
Also, various hormones are already present in the body, so if somebody injects those it's hard to prove they were injected as opposed to that person just having elevated levels due to their genetics.

Lance's ex-teammate Tyler Hamilton will be releasing his book, The Secret Race, in a few days.

And supposedly the USADA will be releasing some of its evidence in the future. I'm interested if anything will come out about corroborating witness George Hincapie. He was Lance's right-hand man and 'best-bro' through all seven Tours wins. He is considered a credible and reluctant witness.

The man survived cancer and wanted to prove to himself that he could accomplish anything, and now they want to take it away? That's crazy. I don't care what they say Lance you earned it and won it all. I don't blame you for walking away, you fought for your life now they want you to fight for some medals, let them keep their stinking medals. You beat cancer and won the Tour de France 7 times, and they can't take that away.

I agree......leave this man alone~ He passed all his tests and because he fought and won every fight and race he faced....they go after him.....take the medals...they can't take his WILL and Strength away and they can't take away his honor. Some people never cease to amaze me.

He passes not because he isn't doping, but because he beats every test. He has enough money to hire some very bright people to help him get over on the USADA, either by using things they could not detect or by using mechanical means to clean his blood before testing.

What "honor"??? Really, if you know anything about this man, there would be no admiration for him at all. He is simply a putrid human being. He is petty, mean and vindictive and has ALWAYS been that way. He's a cheat, his surviving cancer didn't change a thing about him. I think his manager/agent at one time even implied that he won time after time because his chemotherapy made him stronger. How ridiculous.

I didn't realize you knew him. I don't know him and I simply choose not to judge him based on what I have heard or what other people say. My mother always said believe nothing you hear, 1/2 what you read and not everything you see. Her greatest teaching to has been to trust your heart and gut because Satan wears many faces and is found in the most unlikely places which is what gives him power to deceive.

I think that you can call a man a drunk, a mean person, a hateful selfish dishonorable person but it doesn't make it so unless that person had done these things to you personally or evidence found otherwise. Simply said.... "sticks and stones"......I don't rush to judge because I know those I judge will be there with Jesus to judge me.

I'm sorry you have been upset by my opinion... Its simply to say people can not see what is in anyone's heart.... We can't know everything about everyone.... I myself have been mean at points in my life, I have been selfish and hateful... I say I'm sorry and ask for forgiveness and I receive it... Always by God and almost always by people involved. Who am I to judge?

As God would say let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I can honestly say I've never done any type of drugs... I'm an RN n know and have seen the debating effects it takes... I don't understand it. I know this about the law.... 5 people can be doing drugs or drinking even... And 1 not but they are guilty be association and judged as such.

I will say this .... If he did cheat then he will get what is coming but I won't judge him or his character based on hearsay. I believe all those guilty without true evidence here on earth will be judged righteously in the end.
He overcame cancer..... Fact...., he fought and won the battle... He raced .... He fought even harder and won..... Being a cancer survivor I can tell you that was no easy task. I don't take his side... I just don't think calling him names and taking away medals changes who is is as a person. If you are of good heart and truly have honor... No one can take that away from you.... You don't need other peoples' vote for that.... Only we ourselves can change that in ouselves.

Well, I hope this clears up my position. You can agree or not. I respect your opinion and am sorry if you've personally been hurt by this man. My prayers for both of you will be lifted to God today for peace in your hearts and life.

May God Bless you always

Anybody that breaks any rule should be disqualified, Period. Leave the prizes and money at the door. jmo

RN2MOM, I was like you, ready to give Lance the benefit of any doubt. I too was amazed at him through the years -- almost thought he was superhuman. However, when I actually started reading (a lot!) about the whole Armstrong affair, it was a different story. Just too much ugliness to disregard, time and time again. Of course, I'm not the only one who is disillusioned. The "in the know" cycling forums have mostly turned, as well as the editor-at-large of Bicycling, who had once believed everything Lance told him. Sorry to say, Armstrong has a slick PR machine that gives him a veneer, but what's just below is not a pretty sight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back