Laura Babcock: Dellen Millard & Mark Smich charged w/Murder in the First Degree #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always suspected that when his father's body was released to him with the COD being suicide and he was able to have him cremated he felt then that he had gotten away with it. There was no way they could come back and "exhume" his father if anyone ever questioned the "suicide" somewhere down the line. And I don't think his father's wishes would have been cremation. Weren't WM's parent's both buried in a family plot? So if WM had ever indicated that he expected to be buried, that should have thrown up some red flags then. But I don't think anyone ever questions things like that. The only person really close to WM at the time was DM. And who was going to question his decisions regarding his father's final resting plans? Still not even sure if his father's cremains were ever even giving the dignity of a final resting place. I have no idea what he did with them.

So when his mind turned to murder as some kind of "necessity" later on, perhaps that's when he got the brilliant idea to purchase the incinerator to cremate his own victims next time. No body equals no evidence equals no crime right? Wrong.

MOO

ETA: Just noticed that LB disappeared prior to his father's murder so perhaps it was the other way around. He had already "cremated" one victim on his own with his own incinerator and had appeared to have gotten away with it so while he certainly could not expect his father's disappearance not to warrant more of an investigation than that of a young girl who was into some questionable activities, he chose to let LE discover the deceased body and stage it as a suicide. And then have him cremated as well with little fanfare after the body was released to him. So at that point it was two down and the sky's the limit with regards to future murders of "necessity". MOO

Yeah. I've always been of the opinion that after a certain point DM convinced himself he could get away with anything. My answer to 'why kill some poor father over a truck?' has pretty much always been 'because he could'.

Yeah. I've always been of the opinion that after a certain point DM convinced himself he could get away with anything. My answer to 'why kill some poor father over a truck?' has pretty much always been 'because he could'.

He wrote about his father being "frugal" in that weird obit and IMO no matter how much money someone has, being "frugal" is more of a mindset than an actual necessity. Some people, regardless of their wealth, just get a thrill from getting something for nothing, getting a deal etc.

Dellen himself showed that in his real estate dealings and the fact that stealing or "getting something for nothing" seemed to be a favourite hobby of his. I think he enjoyed the thrill of it and it had nothing to do with what he could or couldn't afford. And until we see the actual motive for Tim's murder, I tend to believe he was just collateral damage to an otherwise nefarious hobby of both DM and MS. He resisted or otherwise indicated that he could identify one or both of them so he had to die. In my mind I see it as being as simple and disgusting as that.

MOO

I wonder if WM stumbled across some residual evidence from the LB murder and then needed to be done away with?

I wonder if WM stumbled across some residual evidence from the LB murder and then needed to be done away with?

WM had a well paid career and a large inheritance from CM.

I think there was a very poor business case for the Waterloo MRO. It was a pipe dream and the only ones that stood to make money in the deal were the consultants and the Region of Waterloo.

Things went badly enough with the MRO that when WM "killed himself" no one doubted it. WM lost a lot of money on the deal.

So DM stood by and watched his father squander his inheritance right before his eyes...only until DM decided that the "family coffers" had to stop bleeding and realized that the only way to gain control of WM's finances was of course, to kill him.

DM by that point had already gotten rid of someone who had become a problem and a drain on his finances: LB was addicted, he was feeding her drugs, and that costs money. The sex wasn't making up for it and he already had a girlfriend anyway. She got kicked out of her home and became a huge problem to him, so DM killed LB, left the body up at the farm, ordered an incinerator, cleaned up after his crime, and never got caught until now MOO

That was so easy he went on to tackle his bigger problem, WM

He was still left in a cash poor situation with nothing that was bringing in income. He admitted flipping real estate had been a financial failure for him and he was only going to recover 20 cents on the dollar from the millions sunk into MRO. The MRO could have wiped out 80% of his dad's fortune, in other words, as it left WM tapped out.

DM wanted to race in the Baja 500 in Mexico though...needed a truck...

He wrote about his father being "frugal" in that weird obit and IMO no matter how much money someone has, being "frugal" is more of a mindset than an actual necessity. Some people, regardless of their wealth, just get a thrill from getting something for nothing, getting a deal etc.

Dellen himself showed that in his real estate dealings and the fact that stealing or "getting something for nothing" seemed to be a favourite hobby of his. I think he enjoyed the thrill of it and it had nothing to do with what he could or couldn't afford. And until we see the actual motive for Tim's murder, I tend to believe he was just collateral damage to an otherwise nefarious hobby of both DM and MS. He resisted or otherwise indicated that he could identify one or both of them so he had to die. In my mind I see it as being as simple and disgusting as that.

MOO

Wayne Millard would not stand out in a crowd as being rich, he dressed down to what he could afford. The sad thing is nothing was off limits for Dellen. Maybe he did love, which I do believe that, but taking his Dad's life would show just how crazy Dellen's world was. I guess Wayne must have got in the way of his big plans.

It sure would be interesting to hear the 911 call placed by DM from Maple Gate Court home the night of WM suicide/murder...

I'd say six moths ago a definite link between the 3 cases was discovered. Then the OPPMCM was brought in to coordinate the now common investigation, pursued the leads, found the gun dealings, among other evidence about LB and thus the latest outcome, charges filed.

I'd say six moths ago a definite link between the 3 cases was discovered. Then the OPPMCM was brought in to coordinate the now common investigation, pursued the leads, found the gun dealings, among other evidence about LB and thus the latest outcome, charges filed.

OPPMCM brought in 2-3 months into the investigation

Chamberland said an “investigative link” was made in July when the major case management system came into effect.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/04/10/suspect_in_tim_bosma_killing_charged_with_2_more_murders.html

While LE are remaining tight lipped as to whether LB was found, I'm speculating they found through lab testing, something significant in the barn containing LB's DNA. What brings to mind is that picture of the board an investigator was carrying away. There appeared to be a stain and the end was enclosed in a paper bag. The paper bag was protecting susceptible/possible evidence, maybe strands of hair? Was LB left in the barn after her murder until the incinerator was delivered? Remember how some sleuthers thought the stain looked that of a spine and pelvis? Although it was reported LE came away from that search with no body or obvious evidence, I believe what they did come away with lead them to their conclusion LB was murdered. Again JMO.

RIP sweet Laura.

UBM - Give it time DP and you will get disclosure to show you the links sheesh. Why are some defense lawyers so obnoxious? MOO.

It’s unclear if police have found Babcock’s remains. Various police forces, including Toronto’s, returned to Millard’s farm with search warrants following his arrest and the discovery of Bosma’s body.
After a search in September, Staff Insp. Greg McLane, who heads Toronto’s homicide squad, said they made no “significant” discoveries. Forensics officers were seen carting items from the scene.
On Thursday, neither McLane nor the OPP would confirm if a body has been found. Police do not need a body to lay murder charges, although it is unusual to do so in the absence of one.
“I’m not aware of how this went from a missing person case to a homicide,” said Paradkar. “I don’t see the link.”

Image of the board in this article. HTH.
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...missing_womans_uncle_looking_for_answers.html

The Ayr farm no longer belongs to DM according to CTV, btw.

It was sold to a landscaping company and the sale closed at the end of February.

Was on the 6 pm news.

Yes :banghead: because there is no difference between a horny 18-21 year old party girl and your wife.

Really? Please explain the difference in your opinion? IMO pride is pride whether you're 14 or 44. I would think a young lady trying to impress a "wealthy, good looking man" would want to make a fine impression on him. Sex or no sex kwim. MOO.

It was sold to a landscaping company and the sale closed at the end of February.

Was on the 6 pm news.

And the company approached DP about purchasing it...

So are all the victims of Dellen Millard (I believe there is more than 3) going to be found under the main title Tim Bosma?

IMO- the main title should be Dellen Millard - then the subtitles name the and discuss the victims..

Good point .... I have considered that WM was catching on to the direction DM was taking in his life .... and maybe WM was threatening to cut him loose

If DM feared it could be the end of the good life , maybe he saw ending the life of WM would be the best alternative.

Either way it is pure psychopath

And the company approached DP about purchasing it...

I find it pretty interesting that an unidentified lanscaping company approached DM camp to purchase this particular land to presumably set up shop. Hopefully there is no chance additional evidence is on site at that location from other possible crimes as I remember the photo of DM's "in-operable" excavating machine (partially covered in snow if I remember correct) that was sitting in the middle of the acreage at the Ayr farm.

If DM feared it could be the end of the good life , maybe he saw ending the life of WM would be the best alternative.

The fact that WM had recently announced he was marrying again may have been the coup de grace. If WM married, he would undoubtedly leave a large portion of his estate to his wife (and if he died without an updated will it would all go to his wife in most situations). This posed an immediate threat to DM's lifestyle, in a way the business dealings did not.

There's no knowing for sure, but this would have been a powerful motive for murder.

Was on the 6 pm news.
Snooper...that story broke here on WS yesterday! Guess CTV is following us- check out the Millard property thread :)

While LE are remaining tight lipped as to whether LB was found, I'm speculating they found through lab testing, something significant in the barn containing LB's DNA.

Remember back to the Robert Pickton story? The police were very un-forthcoming on explaining how they knew some of the victims had been killed when no bodies were found. They just said, vaguely, that the victims' DNA was found on the farm. Not where or how. A neighbour who is a pig farmer explained to me what they probably meant.

(I'm sure most of this came out at trial, but I found the case so sickening I didn't follow it in detail. Only enough to be sure RP had accomplices, as he was cognitively challenged and unlikely to have been able to pull off the whole scenario without help).

If LB was at the farm, in vivo or after, there are several possibilities for her DNA being present, even in or around the incinerator. DNA science has advanced to the point that extremely small samples can be identified.

I'm sure police will reveal nothing further. There are probably no "remains" that her family could put to rest in any event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE