Laura Babcock: Dellen Millard & Mark Smich charged w/Murder in the First Degree #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember anything about SL contacting him before he had the phone bill, although he did say that he had given DM's name to LE along with some other names. Would you happen to have a link?
TIA
<rsbm>

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...en-millard-and-missing-woman/article12015795/

But when Mr. Lerner obtained the missing woman&#8217;s final phone records from her parents, he noticed eight calls between Ms. Babcock and Mr. Millard on July 2 and 3.

A friend told him the two were involved in a romantic relationship.

He confronted Mr. Millard by text message and the two eventually met for a coffee at a Mississauga Starbucks.

&#8220;At first he denied it could have been eight phone calls,&#8221; said Mr. Lerner. &#8220;I had the records and eventually he admitted talking with her. He basically told me that Laura had been asking him for drugs and a place to stay and that he denied both requests.&#8221;
<bbm>

I guess any timeframe between the text and their meeting is open to interpretation.

but this is interesting:

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/05/17/family-says-missing-toronto-woman-knew-dellen-millard/

Lerner said about a month after her disappearance Babcock&#8217;s cellphone bill came in the mail. The bill apparently showed eight phone calls, including the last call she made before vanishing, were to Millard.

After learning this Lerner said he contacted Millard to see if he knew where Babcock was.

&#8220;He said I can&#8217;t discuss it over the phone, can we meet for coffee. I met him for coffee and so I asked him about the eight calls,&#8221; he said.
<bbm>

In this interview, SL didn't say that DM denied receiving any calls or texts. Only that he didn't think there were that many.

From a flat earth perspective I have to say if somebody said they called me 8 times and only left a few or no messages, I might well be surprised to learn there were that many calls, too, especially if I were not particularly motivated to speak with the caller. Besides, it's reasonable to think that the 23 minute phone call (or very lengthy message) involving DM on July 1st was quite enough time to spend on this apparently very needy girl's issues. Anyway, LE has already indicated that DM was not the last person contacted. Incidentally, a closer look at that phone bill indicates she also called another number 5 times on the 1st and 2nd of July. Frankly, IMO, SL's reports about their conversations are entirely hearsay so I'm not sure I understand why we're attaching significance to these calls. I guess when and if DM is charged with the murder of LB too, then cross examination of SL's allegations would be important. MOO IMHO Meanwhile, in order to get a better grasp on the background of this relationship, is SL also sleuthable within the rules?

I find it sad that, whatever LB was going through at the time, she didn't feel she could, or didn't want to, contact her family or even SL for a place to stay.

Babcock's ex-boyfriend, Shawn Lerner, said the two broke up but had remained friends right up until she went missing. She had moved out of her parents' house just weeks before vanishing, Lerner said.

"She wasn't on good terms with her parents. She had been staying with various different friends while she was trying to find more permanent living arrangements," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/19/laura-babcock-dellen-millard_n_3304096.html

Here's the article I remember that explains both text and phone calls SL made to DM:

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/police-probe-link-between-bosma-suspect-missing-woman-1.1286890

Lerner said he immediately took Babcock&#8217;s phone records to police. He said he texted and called Millard a number of times to ask him about Babcock&#8217;s calls.

"He doesn't answer me for two days, then I finally say &#8216;Hey look if you don't have any information that's fine, send me a text back to confirm receipt of this message,&#8217;&#8221; Lerner said. Around an hour later Lerner said he received a text from Millard asking him to meet for a coffee to discuss the issue.

Lerner said Millard denied receiving Babcock&#8217;s calls until he showed him Babcock&#8217;s phone record. Millard then told him that Babcock had developed a drug problem and that he had been supplying her with cocaine for months.

"I'm not sure I understand why we're attaching significance to these calls"
I believe the significance is that the said calls were made, shortly before LB went missing, to a person who is currently accused of murder who also bought an incinerator shortly after LB's disappearance. That alone (If SL's statement were to be disregarded as hearsay) would certainly make the calls of interest. Circumstantial of course, but surely cannot be ignored.

I find it sad that, whatever LB was going through at the time, she didn't feel she could, or didn't want to, contact her family or even SL for a place to stay.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/19/laura-babcock-dellen-millard_n_3304096.html

What happened to the initial story that SL put LB up in a hotel in June 2012 and loaned her his iPad to look for another place to stay?

Was that version retracted or omitted from this current version? Have not seen a retraction.

Part of the initial story is contained in the link in post #105. The missing iPad was a big deal when this story broke.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/05/19/laura-babcock-dellen-millard_n_3304096.html[/quote]

I recall that SL DID find her a place to stay just a few days earlier didn't he? Put her up at a hotel in the Queen/Ronscevalles area and took her out to dinner? I presume that means he was paying for it. I don't think I've read anything about why she left there nor is it clear why that might have caused undue alarm at the time because, according to MSM, SL said she'd been moving around between her family home and various friends places for some time so it's very sad but probable that most people might not have taken her requests for help, especially financial help, very seriously at the time, especially if there was any inkling that drugs were involved. Recalling the salad days experienced by lots of people, one does acquire some friends along the way who pretty much bleed out your generosity. Consequently, once in a long while someone like this girl comes along who may truly need support but the doors are closed. :moo:

Just noticed Woodland's post above. I totally forgot about the IPad. Also, meant to note that my count of the phone calls on July 1, 2 and 3 (as per the screen grab shot and assuming 1 minute outgoing calls are messages left on an answering machine) show 2 calls to Millard on Sunday, July 1, the first of which appears to have been a 9 minute conversation (or a VERY long message) followed by a 20 minute incoming call, then immediately thereafter another 10 minute outgoing call to Millard. Then on Monday, the 2nd, 4 further calls appear to have gone to his machine and this was repeated on Tuesday, the 3rd. In all that would have be 10 calls by my math. It feels to me like, after 5 days at the hotel, she needed to move on but didn't have anyplace, other than her family home, available. MOO IMHO

From a flat earth perspective I have to say if somebody said they called me 8 times and only left a few or no messages, I might well be surprised to learn there were that many calls, too, especially if I were not particularly motivated to speak with the caller. Besides, it's reasonable to think that the 23 minute phone call (or very lengthy message) involving DM on July 1st was quite enough time to spend on this apparently very needy girl's issues. Anyway, LE has already indicated that DM was not the last person contacted. Incidentally, a closer look at that phone bill indicates she also called another number 5 times on the 1st and 2nd of July. Frankly, IMO, SL's reports about their conversations are entirely hearsay so I'm not sure I understand why we're attaching significance to these calls. I guess when and if DM is charged with the murder of LB too, then cross examination of SL's allegations would be important. MOO IMHO Meanwhile, in order to get a better grasp on the background of this relationship, is SL also sleuthable within the rules?

:facepalm: Carli, the earth is actually round :giggle: Just fun intended hahaha.

Could you provide a link that states the underlined please and TIA.

:facepalm: Carli, the earth is actually round :giggle: Just fun intended hahaha.

Could you provide a link that states the underlined please and TIA.

It's round???? Do you have a link for that? ROFL.

OK, looking for the blasted link. BRB

Ha! The brilliant Cansleuther beat me to it. Tnx Cans.

What happened to the initial story that SL put LB up in a hotel in June 2012 and loaned her his iPad to look for another place to stay?

Was that version retracted or omitted from this current version? Have not seen a retraction.

Part of the initial story is contained in the link in post #105. The missing iPad was a big deal when this story broke.

Yes, he did. Which is part of why I find it sad that she didn't feel she could contact him again. Or back to her parents until she found a place to live.

I recall that SL DID find her a place to stay just a few days earlier didn't he? Put her up at a hotel in the Queen/Ronscevalles area and took her out to dinner? I presume that means he was paying for it. I don't think I've read anything about why she left there nor is it clear why that might have caused undue alarm at the time because, according to MSM, SL said she'd been moving around between her family home and various friends places for some time so it's very sad but probable that most people might not have taken her requests for help, especially financial help, very seriously at the time, especially if there was any inkling that drugs were involved. Recalling the salad days experienced by lots of people, one does acquire some friends along the way who pretty much bleed out your generosity. Consequently, once in a long while someone like this girl comes along who may truly need support but the doors are closed. :moo:

Just noticed Woodland's post above. I totally forgot about the IPad. Also, meant to note that my count of the phone calls on July 1, 2 and 3 (as per the screen grab shot and assuming 1 minute outgoing calls are messages left on an answering machine) show 2 calls to Millard on Sunday, July 1, the first of which appears to have been a 9 minute conversation (or a VERY long message) followed by a 20 minute incoming call, then immediately thereafter another 10 minute outgoing call to Millard. Then on Monday, the 2nd, 4 further calls appear to have gone to his machine and this was repeated on Tuesday, the 3rd. In all that would have be 10 calls by my math. It feels to me like, after 5 days at the hotel, she needed to move on but didn't have anyplace, other than her family home, available. MOO IMHO

Carli, the 9 minute call and the 10 minute call were to someone else. Those are a different number than DM's. There was, however, a 23 (?) minute call to DM on July 1st.

Updated 25 minutes ago and they are now saying it is a man's body. Early reports said they didn't know if it was male or female. With the coroner coming to the scene tonight, the coroner I believe would have been able to determined/confirmed a male's body. Also in the first report it read the victim, now the report reads UBM.

As night fell, Kitchener firefighters, some wearing water rescue gear, loaded equipment and a small inflatable boat onto a pickup truck before being driven down to one of the deep ponds at the rear of the property.

The body will be taken to Hamilton for an autopsy to try to determine the cause of death. A coroner was at the scene Sunday night.

Detectives are involved in the investigation, but it's too early to know if foul play is suspected in the death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellerybeans