Laura Babcock: Dellen Millard & Mark Smich charged w/ Murder in the First Degree #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Tim Bosma murder was BIG NEWS in these parts. Hamilton/Ancaster has somewhat of a small town feel. A murder here is a big deal. Add to that, the Social Media coverage and the manner in which Tim disappeared all created a perfect storm of "notoriety" of this particular crime. It just seemed to have all the lurid and unbelievable components that drew people in to follow what was happening. Tim was just the same as you and I and it scared us. Tim's murder sold newspapers.

By contrast, no one really knew Laura was missing. She was from Toronto and people go missing all the time. Unfortunately, her circumstances at the time of her disappearance led everyone to believe that she wasn't in peril. She was living a risky lifestyle and no one thought twice about her being missing with the exception of family and a former boyfriend.

At the end of the day, Laura's disappearance wasn't considered "newsworthy" and therefore no one knew.

At this point it just seems that, with the exception of Laura's family, her former boyfriend and us here at WS, no one is interested. Laura is just one more Toronto statistic which is extremely sad. Covering her trial is a non event and the news folks have "better" stories to file. TBH it seems that people are more interested in DM as his own attorney vs. what happened to Laura.

We know what happened, or we have a pretty good idea. The drama for the news folks is not the trial but DM.

MOO

Sadly I agree with you here Tealgrove. This is still about the "heir" to the Millard "dynasty" and his downfall as far as the Toronto news is concerned, if they choose to bother with it at all IMO. DM's arrogant refusal to use the Millard millions to pay for an attorney are probably going to take centre stage as the main source of the news being generated from this trial. Even in the TB trial, every stupid thing he did in that courtroom, from waves to facial expressions, made front page news. Can you imagine this trial?!

MOO

I'm still trying to get Adam Carter from CBC assigned to the trial by contacting the editor. Snooper (and/or others) are you able to confirm we have only seen articles/tweets from The Sun, CHCH and City News since jury selection began? Are you signed up for ABro's subscription feed? How is that?

Also 680 News.

I have @TrialLive access from last time round but I have not signed up through her Patreon account which also gives access to articles on that site. @TrialLive provided more in the way of details...the sort of thing canadiangirl was after. People in the courtroom, what excused people from the jury, more about the process. ABro's not at it all the time but she has tweeted for blocks of hours on several days. There is someone on the feed asking helpful questions, asking for things to be clarified, so that's interesting.

e.g., ABro explains this in the @TrialLive account

Ann Brocklehurst‏ @AnnB03
Judge instructing the "triers," randomly picked from jury pool on their role at Laura Babcock murder trial

It's like hockey, if you want to catch all the games you need basic cable plus TSN plus SportsNet plus NHL.com.

ABro wants to get 500 readers to make it worthwhile for her to do this. I will probably sign up to get the Patreon access because I am more of a print person and Brocklehurst's articles always mention a odd thing or two no one else picks up on. Tweets are a bonus.

The first week, I will be there for sure. After that, it's up in the air. But I will get the audio transcripts no matter what

Also, how are you finding the tweets? Under what hashtag? I'm a Twitter dummy and not a registered member. These are the results I get under "Babcock trial" but can't see the responses to tweets inquiring about media coverage. https://twitter.com/search?q=babcock trial&src=typd&lang=en

A lot of inquiries are going unanswered because journalists can only tweet "We don't know yet" so many times! EVERYONE is going to find out who is there at the last minute.

In my opinion, live tweets are better than 1x or 2x a day articles. Duh! From what I can find, the most recent article on the CBC website referencing the trial is from February 8 http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...separate-murder-charge-to-be-stayed-1.3975120

TIA

Most recent are Sam Pazzano, Toronto Sun

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/12/laura-babcock-murdered-and-cremated-court-hears
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/16/jury-selection-to-resume-at-babcock-murder-trial

Thank you for the info, SmartTGuy!
Just signed up on Patreon and required TrialLive access also because I'm very interested and don't want to miss anything. I like ABro's reporting style.

:silly: Does Sam know something we don't know? Speaking of pals...I wonder who has made more pals in their new palace, DM or MS? Oh to be a fly on the wall of DM's cell as he reads Sam's opening sentence in these articles. :floorlaugh: Keep up the good work Sam! :thumb:

Nine jurors were chosen Monday to sit at the first-degree murder trial of aviation heir Dellen Millard and his pal Mark Smich.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/16/jury-selection-to-resume-at-babcock-murder-trial

Aviation heir Dellen Millard and his pal Mark Smich pleaded not guilty Thursday to first-degree murder charges in the disappearance-death of Laura Babcock in July 2012.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/10/12/laura-babcock-murdered-and-cremated-court-hears

Has ABro been classified as an approved member of the press in order to be able to live tweet? It is my understanding that cell phones and electronic devices are not allowed in the courtroom unless used by an affiliated member of the press? I think she had that designation for the TB trial didn't she? And I assume if she's been live tweeting during jury selection that she can continue through the trial?
I'm not sure, to be honest.. I would assume so. I can't see Ann breaking the law for us trial junkies! Lol

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I hope that I am proved wrong about this but I don't think that it will be nearly as newsworthy. This is no slight against her family and friends but the lack of momentum on their part to find her, report her missing etc did not help her cause. I can't imagine what it is like to be in her parents shoes but LE and MSM are not likely to follow up on a missing person report when the parents etc don't give them a reason to. Sadly, if they saw her prior charges, the taint of being a rumoured sex worker and the crisis that her life was in, it is easy to come up with a million excuses as to why she wasn't coming home. It is obvious that she came from a loving and supportive home, that she may have been suffering from mental illness and her parents likely naively hoped for the best but the lack of inertia to find her is the exact opposite of the Bosma Army.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get what you are saying and I don't necessarily disagree. However, as a news story LB really isn't the focus here. Like it or not Dellen Millard will be the focus of this media event. TB will likely be referenced extensively as well too. Then poor Laura, that is until her story finally starts to come out.

I'm wondering that myself.

I thought that it was determined that the board had been ruled out as evidence or was that just for the Bosma trial?

I am assuming that we are going to learn more about the drug trafficking and parties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ann Brocklehurst‏ @AnnB03 3h3 hours ago
As a rule of thumb, during a trial, media is only allowed to report on what the jury sees and hears. Or we risk being in contempt of court

The trial of Dellen Millard and Mark Smich for the murder of Laura Babcock is considered to be underway. 14-member jury was chosen 2)

yesterday. Friday court will deal with some legal issues. Crown set to give opening address on Monday Oct. 23 3/3

I get what you are saying and I don't necessarily disagree. However, as a news story LB really isn't the focus here. Like it or not Dellen Millard will be the focus of this media event. TB will likely be referenced extensively as well too. Then poor Laura, that is until her story finally starts to come out.

I agree. Without the unusual defendant, and secondarily the connection to Tim Bosma with the horrific and universal nature of his experience and death, we wouldn't know about Laura. I'm confident reporters will do everything they can to give her form and life and substance as the trial proceeds though.

Dangerous offender status cannot be applied to convictions for murder. It is meant to be a mechanism to keep people inside who would otherwise have a mandatory release date. There is no mandatory release date in a murder conviction, only parole eligibility. Murderers can be kept in jail for life by virtue of their conviction alone.

BBM

Just wanted to correct this to state that persons convicted of homicide CAN be designated as dangerous offenders although the crown rarely applies for it in cases where the court record clearly shows that the person is a danger to the public, for example a serial killer with multiple convictions. However you are correct that it is primarily used for persons convicted of repeat violent and/or sexual offences that do not result in murder, who would otherwise have mandatory release dates.

I'd also imagine that changes in the ability to apply consecutive sentences on persons with multiple murder convictions would also make it redundant for the Crown to apply for it if the person has been sentenced to 50 years plus before being eligible for parole.

This article gives some explanation and examples....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/dangerous-offender-what-the-label-means-1.927620

MOO

Ann Brocklehurst‏ @AnnB03 3h3 hours ago
As a rule of thumb, during a trial, media is only allowed to report on what the jury sees and hears. Or we risk being in contempt of court

So I guess that answers my question. ABro appears to be lumping herself in with other media in her tweets so it appears that she will be able to live tweet from the courtroom during this trial.

BBM

Just wanted to correct this to state that persons convicted of homicide CAN be designated as dangerous offenders although the crown rarely applies for it in cases where the court record clearly shows that the person is a danger to the public, for example a serial killer with multiple convictions. However you are correct that it is primarily used for persons convicted of repeat violent and/or sexual offences that do not result in murder, who would otherwise have mandatory release dates.

I'd also imagine that changes in the ability to apply consecutive sentences on persons with multiple murder convictions would also make it redundant for the Crown to apply for it if the person has been sentenced to 50 years plus before being eligible for parole.

This article gives some explanation and examples....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/dangerous-offender-what-the-label-means-1.927620

MOO

From the Wikipedia article :

"In Canadian criminal law, a convicted person who is designated a dangerous offender may be subjected to an indeterminate prison sentence, whether or not the crime carries a life sentence, but this does not apply to convictions of first degree murder, second degree murder, high treason, and treason.[1] The purpose of the legislation is to detain offenders who are deemed too dangerous to be released into society because of their violent tendencies, but whose sentences would not necessarily keep them incarcerated under other legislation, such as the Correctional and Conditional Release Act."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangerous_offender

The CBC article mentions people who were convicted of murder, but the dangerous offender status discussed in relation to them were because of other personal injury offences they committed, like rape in the cases of Bernardo and Williams. My original post was in response to a poster who suggested that a triple murder conviction alone could produce a dangerous offender status. It's not my understanding that this would be the case.

Continuing the dangerous offender discussion, there is a long and interesting list of convictions that can trigger an application:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-196.html#docCont

Then there is a whole subsequent set of considerations in the next section about how and when it can be applied. More complex than I might have guessed. I found the stat regarding the percentage of indigenous people in the CBC article shocking and sad. Something wrong there for sure.

"Friday court will deal with some legal issues. Crown set to give opening address on Monday Oct. 23"

Is the public allowed to attend on the Friday when they deal with 'some legal issues'? Anyone know?

"Friday court will deal with some legal issues. Crown set to give opening address on Monday Oct. 23"

Is the public allowed to attend on the Friday when they deal with 'some legal issues'? Anyone know?

Yes, you are allowed to attend; the trial is considered to begun. 361 University.

I've recently subscribed to her @TrialLive account, the tweets are all private, unless you are a subscriber. I'm very impressed with her coverage thus far. She's posting frequently (when in court) and very quick to respond to her Patrons questions. For the cost associated, it's worth it to me!

Didn't realize until now but there is a PayPal option. Easier than I thought.

Yes you may. Court is always open to the public. But nothing can be repeated out side of the courtroom. They don't want the jury to hear.

I hope that I am proved wrong about this but I don't think that it will be nearly as newsworthy. This is no slight against her family and friends but the lack of momentum on their part to find her, report her missing etc did not help her cause. I can't imagine what it is like to be in her parents shoes but LE and MSM are not likely to follow up on a missing person report when the parents etc don't give them a reason to. Sadly, if they saw her prior charges, the taint of being a rumoured sex worker and the crisis that her life was in, it is easy to come up with a million excuses as to why she wasn't coming home. It is obvious that she came from a loving and supportive home, that she may have been suffering from mental illness and her parents likely naively hoped for the best but the lack of inertia to find her is the exact opposite of the Bosma Army.

Laura's friends and family have been actively searching for answers according to this article . Looks like her family cared a lot for her and were very hurt when Laura's life spiraled into a different direction. Laura's story did not get the media or police's attention like Tim's story did. Crimes that have more fireworks in it catches the media's attention more unfortunately.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...ck_leaves_lingering_questions_for_police.html

Laura's friends and family have been actively searching for answers according to this article . Looks like her family cared a lot for her and were very hurt when Laura's life spiraled into a different direction. Laura's story did not get the media or police's attention like Tim's story did. Crimes that have more fireworks in it catches the media's attention more unfortunately.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/...ck_leaves_lingering_questions_for_police.html

We are saying the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members