Laura Babcock: Dellen Millard & Mark Smich charged w/ Murder in the First Degree #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The hoses were over at the 6-plex on Riverside, not Maple Gate and that was shortly after TB's murder. LB was 10 months earlier. IMO, this may be really setting up the WM murder since WM would have been living in the home when LB was murdered. Too many questions? Did WM think DM had done something to LB?

Since they nailed MS for this as well, yet not for WM's, I'm thinking they have something pretty concrete. Maybe MM has turned for the Crown? Maybe WM had a diary or made notes suspecting DM was up to no good? Since they seemed comfortable with cell/text communication in TB's case, I'm thinking they did the same thing with LB. I have faith in LE and the Crown in this accidental discovery of a murder. DM's going down and he knows it, just looks like he's taking MS for another trip to the circus before they both double their time. MOO

I was thinking the same thing as well re: WM. Did he come across something regarding the murder of LB or was he just a senseless murder like TB?

My guess is that there is digital information via texts and internet searches that will link DM and MS to her disappearance and death. Likely through their silly code. My guess is that a few of their cronies will have been a part of this dialogue.

I can't decide whether DM is arrogant enough to really believe that he can defend himself or if he realizes that there is enough evidence to convict so he chooses to save his $$ and defend himself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It will be interesting to see if the handyman is brought in to testify. Maybe hoses ran for 24 hours after LB disappeared.

Wouldn't that speak volumes?

It would certainly explain the lack of followup in reporting on the importance of the hoses. If that was in regard to LB, rather than TB, it wouldn't have been allowed to be discussed in the TB trial for obvious reasons, and there would have been a pub ban ... which could explain why no reporters bothered to mention it again. Will be very interesting.

It would certainly explain the lack of followup in reporting on the importance of the hoses. If that was in regard to LB, rather than TB, it wouldn't have been allowed to be discussed in the TB trial for obvious reasons, and there would have been a pub ban ... which could explain why no reporters bothered to mention it again. Will be very interesting.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm going to venture a guess that a pattern is going to emerge which is why they were probably able to bring charges in LB's case. We know these two are not the brightest "gangstas" so it's logical that they would have done things first with LB, and since they "got away with it", just did the same with TB although somewhat modified perhaps.

MOO

Yes this one too. I hope he is called to the stand. So many unanswered questions still

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

FWIW, I don't think we'll hear from him. I'm pretty sure he's still in jail for Trafficking charges (ironic). I've always wondered if these two had more of a relationship (drug related) than simply what we know about the initial boat rental, followed up by the report to police about finding blood.

FWIW, I don't think we'll hear from him. I'm pretty sure he's still in jail for Trafficking charges (ironic). I've always wondered if these two had more of a relationship (drug related) than simply what we know about the initial boat rental, followed up by the report to police about finding blood.

I don't think he's in jail. I saw him this summer out and about.

Is LBs murder alleged to have taken place at the Maple Gate home?

ETA, figured it out, thanks!

I was thinking the same thing as well re: WM. Did he come across something regarding the murder of LB or was he just a senseless murder like TB?

My guess is that there is digital information via texts and internet searches that will link DM and MS to her disappearance and death. Likely through their silly code. My guess is that a few of their cronies will have been a part of this dialogue.

I can't decide whether DM is arrogant enough to really believe that he can defend himself or if he realizes that there is enough evidence to convict so he chooses to save his $$ and defend himself?

Im guessing they have pieced together texts. They seem to have enough evidence to pinpoint a date (within 48 hrs) and a location. If this had come from a witness, I feel that the date would be more specific. So phone records will likely put Smich, Millard and LB together at MapleGate on the third, her phone going off the grid on the fourth. Pings will show that both Millard and Smich were at the farm from the 4th to the 5th or so. Texts to GFs and friends will either be incriminating in nature or be proven to be outright lies, proving deception during that period. Witnesses will likely talk to LBs friendship with Millard, her presence at the home during those days, and her sudden disappearance. Remember, LBs ex talked about her phone records, the last contact being with Millard. Possibly those texts have been recovered? Also, remember Smich had a box of phones. I'm sure there were some interesting conversations on those.

Oh to be a fly on the wall during the Jury selection. I cannot even begin to imagine DM playing lawyer- any idea how it works with Jury selection? I'm assuming that he's in the prisoners box- but would he be giving his approval from there or via a court appointed representative? Bizarre is the name of the game on this one- and I think it's only going to get more insane when the trial starts. Dungy must be really happy. MOO

My belief is 25% arrogance, 25% manipulation and 50% self indulgence, which I do believe to be different than arrogance. I believe he thinks he might as well have a go of it, if it works out, he has a new skill (we've learned he liked to learn new languages and challenge himself, the knuckle push ups) and notoreiety. If not, he has *some* sympathy of the court as there is some hand-holding when self representing to ensure a fair trial. he feels in control. As much as he was able to weasel during pretrial, I hope the jury will be unsympathetic to his stalling and stumbling.

In any case it frustrates the heck out of me.

JMO.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Psychopaths notoriously overestimate their own abilities and have markedly unrealistic goals. He's probably representing himself for the same reason that Ted Bundy represented himself - he genuinely thinks he's the smartest and slickest guy in room.

Oh to be a fly on the wall during the Jury selection. I cannot even begin to imagine DM playing lawyer- any idea how it works with Jury selection? I'm assuming that he's in the prisoners box- but would he be giving his approval from there or via a court appointed representative? Bizarre is the name of the game on this one- and I think it's only going to get more insane when the trial starts. Dungy must be really happy. MOO
Wait there's no way he'd be picking his own jury members?

Wait there's no way he'd be picking his own jury members?

It's a Crown lawyer and a defence lawyer that gives the yea or nay to potential jurors so yeah, DM could be selecting his own jury directly.

9 down 5 to go, they'll be done tomorrow.

There isn't much to report right now yet Sam Pazzano of the Sun has been filing a story daily. I think there will be tons of coverage once the trial actually begins.

It's a Crown lawyer and a defence lawyer that gives the yea or nay to potential jurors so yeah, DM could be selecting his own jury directly.

9 down 5 to go, they'll be done tomorrow.

There isn't much to report right now yet Sam Pazzano of the Sun has been filing a story daily. I think there will be tons of coverage once the trial actually begins.
Wow. That is shocking to me. Why didn't he do that the first go round I wonder?

Wow. That is shocking to me. Why didn't he do that the first go round I wonder?

Would it really have helped?

Besides, this is a different DM, one that has been steeped in legal and jail culture for 4-1/2 years. I'm sure he's learned a lot vs. what he knew at the time of his arrest in May 2013. I don't think he would be able to do any sort of competent job defending himself when he was first arrested, but now is a different story.

Would it really have helped?

Besides, this is a different DM, one that has been steeped in legal and jail culture for 4-1/2 years. I'm sure he's learned a lot vs. what he knew at the time of his arrest in May 2013. I don't think he would be able to do any sort of competent job defending himself when he was first arrested, but now is a different story.

Not saying it would have helped, but he seemed to like control so what better way

Not saying it would have helped, but he seemed to like control so what better way

Well he's not actually that stupid, IMO. I think he figured it would be best to get a professional at his side that could help and tutor him towards exercising every loophole possible in an attempt to gain his freedom. Defending himself is just the next tactic, something that makes sense now, but not two years ago. He's a little more desperate, more experienced and more educated.

Well he's not actually that stupid, IMO. I think he figured it would be best to get a professional at his side that could help and tutor him towards exercising every loophole possible in an attempt to gain his freedom. Defending himself is just the next tactic, something that makes sense now, but not two years ago. He's a little more desperate, more experienced and more educated.

I think he was warned by the judge that he wouldn't allow a mockery to be made of his courtroom, and so that if he was going to represent himself, he would need to have at least SOME representation to do some of the examinations/cross-examinations of witnesses, who may feel intimidated to be questioned by the accused murderer. Poor Dungey is sure going to have to be on his toes in this trial, not that he *isn't* always anyway, but.. this one has the potential for SO many errors! jmo

I have my doubts as to whether or not any reporters are actually present in the courtroom for jury selection. Remember all the fanfare when the jurors were being chosen for TB's trial? Every time one was chosen, it was tweeted.. along with the gender, approx age, etc. It must be going a heckuva lot faster for them to have already chosen 9 out of 14 on the first day! In TB's case each prospective juror was asked a pre-formed list of questions, and based on their answers, they were given the yay or nay by each of the lawyers involved, who would also ask for an indication from their client. There doesn't have to be a reason for refusing any prospect, at least until each of the defense lawyers reaches 20, and the Crown reaches 40 refusals. I wonder how many potentials they have gone through so far, in order to get 9 chosen? If Pazzano was actually there, wouldn't she be telling us more? jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agirlnamedbob