Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.25.17 - Day 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for that link. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from how I read it, "Jenn" would have still been somewhat on the scene with DM when the LB murder took place. Am I reading this wrong?

That's **exactly** the impression that I had. I also get the feeling that she didn't know he had other girls he was juggling. CN seemed to be the only one who suspected that.

Good question, why wouldn't they have to rehash the whole elimator story to this impartial jury? It's not like they can just show them the transcripts from the last trial can they? How does this work? Is this jury supposed to be ignorant to the fact that these two are already convicted murderers? :waitasec:

The Bosma conviction (and therefore every aspect of that crime) can't be used as evidence, it would prejudice the jury. Especially since it happened after this alleged crime, so it isn't even a precedent.

Made it up to the courtroom and actually caught a glimpse of both Millard and Smich. Speaking without prejudice, they look like normal young men, not what I expected at all. Smich looks relatively handsome now that he isn't so gaunt, Millard looks almost nerdy with his hair pulled behind his ears and with his glasses on. Just goes to show that you can't always spot evil, although they probably looked much different at the time of their arrest.

For those that have been to the courtroom, a couple of questions;
- Can you just walk in?
- Once in, can you leave when you want or do you have to wait for a recess?
- Where is the overflow room and do the same rules apply?

I can make it there on my lunch but would only have about 20 mins to sit in so I need to be able to dash lol.

Makes me wonder if she will be called as a witness in this case. She would not have been in the TB case because she had moved away at that point.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

She doesn't likely have anything to offer. She may become more of a player in the trial for his father's murder since she was at the home when police were called regarding the death - an alleged suicide, at the time.

If I'm not mistaken, Jenn was with DM when they found Wayne Millard dead at Maple Gate. Am I right on this? His mother and Jenn came to the house.

Yes. She was the daughter of a friend of MB's. It has been reported that she and DM remained friends after the engagement was ended.

I'm actually disappointed by this. Blame it on my compulsive need to see good on people but I had really wanted to believe that the story he gave on the stand during the Bosma trial had some truth to it. That he was just idiot who went along to steal a truck as part of some equally stupid gangster fantasy they were all living and that DM killed Tim without MS's knowledge.

I'd really hoped that MS was only charged in Laura's case because of assumptions made from his proximity to DM. But from the opening statement onwards that pretty much went out the window.

Its sad. DM is clearly some sort of sociopath but I'd hoped that MS was a decent human who went horribly astray but there was still hope would be rehabilitated while in jail. It seems to me that by hitching his horse to DM he essentially committed suicide in a way.

I also wonder about MS and how his life might have turned out had he not met DM. LB was apparently the first person they are suspected of murdering. Things went down hill fast after that. I had hoped MS would realize the dangerous influence drugs and DM played in his life and felt some guilt and remorse but he didn't come across that way in the first trial.

She doesn't likely have anything to offer. She may become more of a player in the trial for his father's murder since she was at the home when police were called regarding the death - an alleged suicide, at the time.

Not to mention she pretty much lives full time out of the country. Might be difficult to subpoena someone like that, let alone enforce it?

I also wonder about MS and how his life might have turned out had he not met DM. LB was apparently the first person they are suspected of murdering. Things went down hill fast after that. I had hoped MS would realize the dangerous influence drugs and DM played in his life and felt some guilt and remorse but he didn't come across that way in the first trial.

At trial he had to deny, that or spend 25 years in jail. But ya, I was just saying that to a friend. What happened in these guys lives that took them so far off the right path? Seeing them in court today I couldn't help feel the incredible waste of two lives. Millard especially could have done anything he wanted with his life. Smich just hitched his coach to the wrong wagon.

And I do feel Smich had remorse and second thoughts. I see his raps more as a need to confess more than bravado. I think at that point he was tied to Millard and couldn't get out. I recall from the first trial that Smich was physically ill on the first mission to steal the truck. I always wonder if he was sickened by the thought of reliving what he had already lived through with LB?

At trial he had to deny, that or spend 25 years in jail. But ya, I was just saying that to a friend. What happened in these guys lives that took them so far off the right path? Seeing them in court today I couldn't help feel the incredible waste of two lives. Millard especially could have done anything he wanted with his life. Smich just hitched his coach to the wrong wagon.

Entitled....too easy a life, needs to take others to be able to feel something. Definitely about control.

The Bosma conviction (and therefore every aspect of that crime) can't be used as evidence, it would prejudice the jury. Especially since it happened after this alleged crime, so it isn't even a precedent.

That's what I figured. So how could this trial not have the same witnesses and aspects revolving around the purchase of the eliminator? Are we going to see the man from out west who sold it to them? SS who bought it after failing to build an adequate one, the bookkeeper who processed the paperwork, Robert Burns?

Is DM going to cross all these people? I think the judge is way off in his calculations as to how long this trial will take. :rolleyes:

MOO

I made up my mind about MS when I saw the glaring holes in his story about what happened on May 6, 2013. I also believe he was the trigger man the night TB disappeared.

Entitled....too easy a life, needs to take others to be able to feel something. Definitely about control.

Millard? True that, however I get the feeling that his parents really had little time for him throughout his life. Apparently WM was a drunk, parents split. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel sorry for him in the least, but there are often horrific circumstances that lead people to go down the wrong path.

I have never felt any emotion other than disgust for MS. He's a punk and a wannabe gangbanger. He made his choice.

MS was dealing drugs before he even met DM. He had chosen his pathetic path.

It's too late to be sorry now. He has landed exactly where he should be; in prison. I hope he never gets out. IMO he's as dangerous as DM. He's got nothing to lose.

Rant Over! :)

MOO

I'm actually disappointed by this. Blame it on my compulsive need to see good on people but I had really wanted to believe that the story he gave on the stand during the Bosma trial had some truth to it. That he was just idiot who went along to steal a truck as part of some equally stupid gangster fantasy they were all living and that DM killed Tim without MS's knowledge.

I'd really hoped that MS was only charged in Laura's case because of assumptions made from his proximity to DM. But from the opening statement onwards that pretty much went out the window.

Its sad. DM is clearly some sort of sociopath but I'd hoped that MS was a decent human who went horribly astray but there was still hope would be rehabilitated while in jail. It seems to me that by hitching his horse to DM he essentially committed suicide in a way.
I feel exactly the same way. No doubt in my mind now, though. It is so senseless.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member