Laura Babcock Murder Trial 10.25.17 - Day 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this testimony hints at how the police found out about Smich in the early days of the Bosma investigation, I've always wondered if police got tips about him, as well as by trolling through DM's phone:

Lisa Hepfner‏ @HefCHCHNews
Crown now up for re-exam. When a detective approached Liberatore in May 2013 and asked about garage rap, he said he didn't remember.

So, someone else went to police, probably after DM was arrested and the incinerator story came out in early May, and told this story about Smich in the garage.

Also, Liberatore must have known all about the incinerator because of the press coverage of the Bosma murder, but he wasn't allowed to refer to it in court. Seemed like Dungey was insinuating he and his friends made up the story of "torching" the girl (the rap song just refers to "now her ashes lay", doesn't use the active tense), because of the news coverage about Bosma , but he's not allowed to say it either.

Liberatore was aware of the disappearance of Laura Babcock, after it hit the media, he agrees. Probably found out through social media.

"But it was a pretty big case." Liberatore knew there was insinuation that #Babcock had been burned. Or not. He is confused right now.

"I don't know if the incinerator was mentioned," Liberatore says slowly, loudly, deliberately. "I put two and two together."

Millard? True that, however I get the feeling that his parents really had little time for him throughout his life. Apparently WM was a drunk, parents split. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel sorry for him in the least, but there are often horrific circumstances that lead people to go down the wrong path.

Absolutely, I am not aware of the family history, but there is no doubt that there was most likely a lack of love or attention.

it does seem like she might be in the area based on her instagram....CN I mean.

Her more recent instagram posts are from Poland and it has been reported she is attending medical school there.....I don't think she is in Canada at this point.....MOO

I think this testimony hints at how the police found out about Smich in the early days of the Bosma investigation, I've always wondered if police got tips about him, as well as by trolling through DM's phone:

So, someone else went to police, probably after DM was arrested and the incinerator story came out in early May, and told this story about Smich in the garage.

Also, Liberatore must have known all about the incinerator because of the press coverage of the Bosma murder, but he wasn't allowed to refer to it in court. Seemed like Dungey was insinuating he and his friends made up the story of "torching" the girl (the rap song just refers to "now her ashes lay", doesn't use the active tense), because of the news coverage about Bosma , but he's not allowed to say it either.

Not sure what the insinuation was, likely that Liberatore fabricated the garage story to get off the shoplifting charge after cops wouldn't bite on his offer to turn in some drug dealers. But nonetheless, the video of Smich rapping the song was their on LBs iPad. Is he a reliable witness? No. But is there a chance he made the whole thing up? Not a chance.

Her more recent instagram posts are from Poland and it has been reported she is attending medical school there.....I don't think she is in Canada at this point.....MOO

Her posts from the last few weeks don't hint at all where she might be. I find the whole medical school in Poland to be a crock of s**t though.

It's hard to say, some are from Quebec, and Toronto, so they of course could be jumbled.

It's hard to say, some are from Quebec, and Toronto, so they of course could be jumbled.

She was in Toronto in late August. She has a pic which appears to be pride day in Poland, posted in October, but Pride Day is in early June.

She was in Toronto in late August. She has a pic which appears to be pride day in Poland, posted in October, but Pride Day is in early June.
Insta pics can be labelled from where ever you want them to say. For inatance, I could post from my current location yet have it say I posted from Texas.
Wouldn't shock me if she follows along in here...my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I find Smich is only hard to figure juxtaposed with Millard. The latter is so clearly personality disordered - sociopathic, or as was speculated in Tim's trial, perhaps a victim of FAS. In court, without Millard there to make him seem relatively emotionally normal, Smich would just seem like an uncomplicated fit for the violent loser template. But with Millard there it's hard to understand why Smich would throw everything away for crimes that seem completely motivated by Millard's needs. Maybe he's really just that cruel and mercenary, that desperate for his Millard-supplied trinkets and baubles; the approval, and bonding and privileges. I find it enormously sad because of the waste and loss of life both, and I do feel sorry for them. Sorry in a different way that I am for the victims of course, but sorry nonetheless.

At trial he had to deny, that or spend 25 years in jail. But ya, I was just saying that to a friend. What happened in these guys lives that took them so far off the right path? Seeing them in court today I couldn't help feel the incredible waste of two lives. Millard especially could have done anything he wanted with his life. Smich just hitched his coach to the wrong wagon.

And I do feel Smich had remorse and second thoughts. I see his raps more as a need to confess more than bravado. I think at that point he was tied to Millard and couldn't get out. I recall from the first trial that Smich was physically ill on the first mission to steal the truck. I always wonder if he was sickened by the thought of reliving what he had already lived through with LB?

He didn't have to deny it. He could have opted to not testify. Again, maybe its my need to find good in people that's talking but I want to believe that part of why he testified was to try to explain things to himself because now that he's out of that scenario he can't believe he was ever in it?

Whereas with DM, I think he doesn't care about who he's hurt. I think he takes some sort of perverse joy from it.

Absolutely, I am not aware of the family history, but there is no doubt that there was most likely a lack of love or attention.

When Millard's mother never made an appearance at Tim's trial I remember wondering if we were seeing elements of the effects of Dellen's personality, or elements of the cause of it. We have very little information on the family, but it struck me odd - and still does - that no family comes to court for Millard. The uncle's testimony, too, struck me - obviously no love there for Millard and he seemed irritated at being dragged into things more than anything else, and concerned that everybody know what "a sick twisted prick" he thought his nephew was. His nephew "technically", if you recall that bit of distancing as well. It's hard not to see his mother primarily serving herself by avoiding the trial. So, in total, it does at least suggest the question of whether anybody was ever emotionally attuned to Dellen and responsive to his needs in his family. He had the accomplishments - flying records and such - and that kind of thing is not uncommon with self involved parents looking for a little reflected glory.

When Millard's mother never made an appearance at Tim's trial I remember wondering if we were seeing elements of the effects of Dellen's personality, or elements of the cause of it. We have very little information on the family, but it struck me odd - and still does - that no family comes to court for Millard. The uncle's testimony, too, struck me - obviously no love there for Millard and he seemed irritated at being dragged into things more than anything else, and concerned that everybody know what "a sick twisted prick" he thought his nephew was. His nephew "technically", if you recall that bit of distancing as well. It's hard not to see his mother primarily serving herself by avoiding the trial. So, in total, it does at least suggest the question of whether anybody was ever emotionally attuned to Dellen and responsive to his needs in his family. He had the accomplishments - flying records and such - and that kind of thing is not uncommon with self involved parents looking for a little reflected glory.

Didn't he also murder his father?

He didn't have to deny it. He could have opted to not testify. Again, maybe its my need to find good in people that's talking but I want to believe that part of why he testified was to try to explain things to himself because now that he's out of that scenario he can't believe he was ever in it?

Whereas with DM, I think he doesn't care about who he's hurt. I think he takes some sort of perverse joy from it.

Maybe, but I think the only reason he testified in the first trial was because his lawyer told him to do so. The only way he was going to beat that rap was by putting himself in a different place than Millard when the trigger was pulled, and who else was going to say that to the jury. Simply a guy fighting for his life, and I don't blame him for that. Honestly, I don't know why Smich's attorneys didn't cut a deal with him to flip on Millard for all three murders at the time? Doesn't seem implausible that he could have walked away with 25 years and maybe early parole?

I agree. But Millard seemed to be lacking in the close friend department as well. Sure he had a bunch of people around him at the time, but they were all parasites and only seemed to have come to know him in the few years previous. There just didn't seem to be any lifelong friends. No friends from high school. Only the odd acquaintance that told how weird Millard was, eating dog biscuits and such.

She didn't make an appearance because she was under subpoena the whole time. First as a potential crown witness then as a potential defence witness. But for that, I suspect she would have been there.

Yep, so obviously there was no love there.

I'm just waiting for DM to file a lawsuit against the Toronto Police and sue them for the loss of his father with the claim:
if the police had done a better job investigating LB's disappearance, they would have arrested him before he had a chance to kill Wayne. But since the police dropped the ball he is now fatherless and his inheritance has been negatively impacted as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Child in Time