Laura Babcock Murder Trial 11.02.17 - Day 9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it had a more sinister meaning......like the use of the eliminator!
Also, noticing the closeness to Canada day and July 4th. Both days feature fireworks displays. I wonder if thats where the term from Smich came from that we heard about in the first trial? "“Ok it's fireworks tomoro night."

Interesting to note that LB's phone was a Blackberry. Even if they had recovered it, it probably wouldn't have given them a lot of info if it had all been deleted. They are the most secure phones available. I'm surprised MS didn't want to keep that too. He did have a collection of phones and seemed to like Blackberry. ;)

MOO
Could that be because of the blackberry messenger feature that isn't traceable? I don't think it logs like texts. Moo

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

That's still some 10 minutes from the lake. What happened there? Did they destroy the sim card or something?
Similar to TB. Cell phone ended up in front of the business and found later in Brantford

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

They have a point. It depends on what you call "off". For example, with an android phone, if you just press the power off, it goes to sleep, still pings. But if you hold the power button, and it prompts to power off, it turns off. Better yet, airplane mode and power off.

I'm sure other models have similar ways to power completely off.

Having no battery power is the same as pulling battery. It takes power to ping things.

Couldn't he have just flung it out the window to smash on the highway? MS wasn't there by that time, so he doesn't really know what happened to it. Artistic license in the rap video.

I'm a little confused at the information in that Toronto Sun article about the pings. They seem to indicate that DM and MS were in the same vehicle on the QEW heading towards Oakville. MS's phone stayed in Oakville while DM and LB's phone continued on. Then the article says that DM's phone pinged near the farm and the hangar. But LB's phone stopped pinging east of Oakville near Indian Grove in Mississauga.

So if the reporter got some of this incorrect, it sounds more like DM and MS were in the vehicle headed to Oakville. LB's phone (and probably a deceased LB :( ) was in the vehicle with them. And then before they got to Oakville her phone stopped pinging around Indian Grove Rd. So either the phone was pitched into a body of water, was pitched out the window and shattered, disengaging the battery or was shut off and/or Sim card removed. Knowing MS's interest in cell phones and the collection he had at home, I'm going with option 3. He probably kept the phone with the sim card removed. He may even have sold it. This is much more of a common practice with Blackberry phones than it is with Iphones.

MOO

Perhaps shut down, on the way to Port Credit to throw it in the Lake.

Why make a stop with a body in your vehicle that you are on your way to incinerate. Why not just incinerate the phone as well?

Maybe the battery died. Maybe Smich dumped it closer to home.

That article discusses GPS pings. It has nothing to do with pinging cell phone towers, which is what Rogers was referring to today on the witness stand.

Also, the article you referenced points to a US Supreme Court decision that discusses using GPS location data, but doesn't mention anything about phones tracking when they are powered off, and there is no reference provided in that article regarding GPS pings when phones are powered off, so this is likely an urban myth. But It is possible that some phone manufacturers emit GPS pings when powered off. I know my phone does not (Huawei Nexus 6P). It is also possible if you have spyware on your phone that it may emit GPS pings.

That wouldn't stop the pings. I think there was just no incoming calls/texts for the last 10 mins hence no reason to ping and then simply it being destroyed in the lake

Incorrect. But if you don't believe it, feel free to test this out on your phone. Turn it off and call yourself from another phone and see if the incoming call is registered in your phone bill.

So at 11am on July 4th they were transporting her body to the farm ? Why 11? Why not first thing in the morning? Unless she was killed around 9 or something. But if she was killed the night before then why wait so long? I know I couldn't sleep if i killed someone. But they did? And slept in at that? And DM made French toast and then both caught the view and THEN they hit the road???

When they killed TB he took a nap, a good long one and took his time going back to the hanger. They also celebrated. Put nothing past them.

That wouldn't stop the pings. I think there was just no incoming calls/texts for the last 10 mins hence no reason to ping and then simply it being destroyed in the lake

A BB that is dead will not ping.

When I read he ordered a new mattress for the Maple Gate house, I assumed that he had shot her in bed there, or maybe put her under a mattress doubled over to muffle the sound of the gunshot. They may have used the mattress in the back of the truck to collect anymore blood. Yes, it would have been less problematic to strangle or smother her, because there would not be all the blood evidence that results from a shooting, but I think both DM and MS wanted to use the gun, and experience the excitement of killing someone with it. I still wonder if they made a snuff move out of it. These are absolute monsters, and ordinary logic does not always apply. IMO

I agree she was killed in bed. She may have been stabbed, we have heard nothing about a gun yet for her. Perhaps the stabbing was too difficult and that's why they upgraded to a gun for TB.

Why make a stop with a body in your vehicle that you are on your way to incinerate. Why not just incinerate the phone as well?

They were probably going to steal the phone too, maybe it got damaged in a scuffle before she died or something.

As for his dad, is there proof he was home that night?

Rubelo said records show the following morning, July 4, Babcock's phone continued to receive incoming calls and text messages and later, cell towers connected with both her phone and Millard's phones as they moved west from Millard's home, along the Lakeshore.

Somewhere near Mississauga, Babcock's phone stopped making connections with cell towers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/laura-babcock-murder-trial-day-nine-1.4383035

This is all Shannon Martin had to say about it and she makes no mention of MS's phone at all. :rolleyes:

Incorrect. But if you don't believe it, feel free to test this out on your phone. Turn it off and call yourself from another phone and see if the incoming call is registered in your phone bill.

So my phone is off. Someone calls me and leaves me a vm. Wouldn't that require my cell to connect to a tower to register the message? Same with a text. Phone off. Text still reaches my phone. I turn the phone back on text appears.

That's the part that floors me!

Sent from my SM

There's only one "I remember" tattoo by the looks of it. The flaming skull appears to have been added later and it was likely to cover up something else..

I found the pics.. in diff stages.. it wraps around his entire arm, but the skulls are hidden on the inside of his arm.. I think they may have always been there.. but depending on which way the arm is turned, you can only see certain things... they are now colored in (as of June 2016 it appears), and there are definitely 2 skulls.. the interesting thing is that one skull appears to be consumed in flames, while the other appears to be immersed in blue waves (water).. my interpretation only.. Terms prob don't allow me to post.. see ig..

So my phone is off. Someone calls me and leaves me a vm. Wouldn't that require my cell to connect to a tower to register the message? Same with a text. Phone off. Text still reaches my phone. I turn the phone back on text appears.

Connecting to a cell tower, and appearing on a phone bill are 2 separate things.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/laura-babcock-murder-trial-day-nine-1.4383035

This is all Shannon Martin had to say about it and she makes no mention of MS's phone at all. :rolleyes:

From link above:

"But during opening statements on Oct. 23, Crown Jill Cameron outlined their case, alleging sometime after 7:00 p.m. July 3, Millard and Smich killed Babcock. Rubelo said records show the following morning, July 4, Babcock's phone continued to receive incoming calls and text messages and later, cell towers connected with both her phone and Millard's phones as they moved west from Millard's home, along the Lakeshore.

Somewhere near Mississauga, Babcock's phone stopped making connections with cell towers."

When your phone is off, your provider is "holding" the information waiting for a connection to the phone when it turns on to send the information. And we are talking about a phone that is powered down. Shut off. Not a phone that is in power saving mode where the screen is black but the phone is technically still powered on.

If someone calls you when your phone is fully powered off, the person making the call will hit the cell tower closest to them, but then it will go straight to voicemail with your phone provider. It won’t try to ring on your phone because your phone won’t be pinging to a tower, so it won’t know how to reach you. That’s why it goes immediately to voicemail without ringing.

Similarly, if someone sends you an SMS message, it will deliver the message via the tower closest to the sender. Then if your phone is off, the message will be stored on a server with your phone provider. Then your phone provider will periodically try to send the queue of messages to your phone, and as soon as you turn your phone on and ping your nearest tower, the message(s) will be delivered.

But while your phone is off, there will be no pings. Unless you have some NSA spyware on your phone, then it would be possible to continue connectivity. Or if you have a “sleep” mode on your phone which resumes network connectivity. When powered off, my phone is completely off with no network connectivity. Same would go for airplane mode; which would cut off all of your network connectivity as well.

Maybe DM was savvy enough to realize that LB's phone could be providing a cookie crumb trail to where her body was going, and so he pitched it? Maybe MS was even savvier to know to take the battery out of his own phone? (or maybe he wasn't even there at the time when the body and phone were traveling with DM?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971