Laura Babcock Murder Trial - *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The way I see it, a Judge decision is best for both sides at this point. Much more swift justice with less likelihood of a challenge. I am ok with it...I am confident that they have a decent case to add on years to make sure he gets out in his geriatric years. Now if new charges could be laid... Now that is another sorry... Noudga Rabbit or ???

If anyone is interested. The new sentence documents our out.

Here is MS rap sheet.

In any event, Smich acquired a criminal record as follows: in September 2003, when he would have been 16 years old, he was convicted of break, enter and theft, and he was sentenced to one year probation in Youth Court; in March 2004, when he would still have been 16 years old, he was convicted of theft under and two counts of fail to comply, and was sentenced in Youth Court to 18 months probation; in January 2007, when he would have been 19, he was convicted of possession of a scheduled substance and fail to comply, and was sentenced to a $500 fine; in June 2014, at age 26, he was convicted of impaired driving and was sentenced to a $1000 fine; and in June 2016, at age 28, he was convicted of the first degree murder of Tim Bosma and was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Here is MS rap sheet.

In any event, Smich acquired a criminal record as follows: in September 2003, when he would have been 16 years old, he was convicted of break, enter and theft, and he was sentenced to one year probation in Youth Court; in March 2004, when he would still have been 16 years old, he was convicted of theft under and two counts of fail to comply, and was sentenced in Youth Court to 18 months probation; in January 2007, when he would have been 19, he was convicted of possession of a scheduled substance and fail to comply, and was sentenced to a $500 fine; in June 2014, at age 26, he was convicted of impaired driving and was sentenced to a $1000 fine; and in June 2016, at age 28, he was convicted of the first degree murder of Tim Bosma and was sentenced to life imprisonment.

Do you have a link for this?! TIA :)

Here is MS rap sheet.

It states DM's only criminal record is for the conviction for the murder of Tim Bosma. I guess that means when he lost his driver's license in October 2012 it wasn't for impaired driving (or at least he wasn't convicted).

It states DM's only criminal record is for the conviction for the murder of Tim Bosma. I guess that means when he lost his driver's license in October 2012 it wasn't for impaired driving (or at least he wasn't convicted).

Perhaps he lost his licence under the HTA only?

Part of his defence is that he bought it for WM as a gift. Apparently, that will be his explanation for his DNA being there?
That's the weakest defence I've ever heard. Who buys an illegal handgun for someone as a gift? WM had a gun license. He didn't need his son buying street guns for him. So, so dumb.

That's the weakest defence I've ever heard. Who buys an illegal handgun for someone as a gift? WM had a gun license. He didn't need his son buying street guns for him. So, so dumb.

I’m certain he was only brainstorming when he thought of that one.

The trial for WM should go faster because of no jury. We won't have to wait while they have legal arguments without the jury present. The legal arguments took up a lot of time.
It will be a relief when all the trials are over and DM is out of public eye and we don't have to hear from again except for the appeals.
I hope the appeals will be rejected very quickly and good riddance MS and DM.

The process is just like any criminal trial as far as I know, with the Crown and the defence presenting their openings, evidence and closings, but without a jury and without the judge's charge. I don't know whether historically, judge-only or jury trials have generated more appeals. I think reporters could still live-tweet the proceedings, other than bench discussions about the admissibility of evidence etc. (which we don't hear if it's a jury trial and the jury is not present.)

The process is the same, as long as the news agencies send staff to cover the trial.. and depending on how good the reporter is at tweeting and keeping up, etc. Hopefully they will send Adam Carter :)

Another news story from today...
http://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...rosecute-killer-dellen-millard-for-third-time

Excerpted...
After further examination of the Smith & Wesson allegedly revealed Dellen Millard’s DNA on its handle, he was charged with the first-degree murder of his father.

First I heard that tidbit... DM's DNA on the gun beside WM

Hard to believe TPS didn't thoroughly investigate the weapon in the first place? The things money can buy.... or convey...

Hard to believe TPS didn't thoroughly investigate the weapon in the first place? The things money can buy.... or convey...
Just like they did nothing about the fact DM was the last person to speak to Laura before she disappeared. the police did not talk to DM. I guess they thought because DM had money that makes him not capable of murder.

"Should we prosecute killer Dellen Millard for third time?"

For someone who relishes the limelight and the notoriety of being an accused serial killer, aren’t we just playing into his hands by holding a third trial?

Or is the Crown right to hedge their bets. As unlikely as it seems, there are no iron-clad guarantees that Millard wouldn’t be able to successfully appeal his previous convictions. This third trial could be a necessary insurance policy to ensure this monster remains behind bars — even if it means having to stomach his repugnant performance one more time in the downtown courthouse.

Sorry for the language but... HELL YA! Make a statement! Many of these criminals hedge their bets on what crimes they may get caught for and convicted on. If they think that after getting charged with one crime and that they could be charged for further crimes, they may just think twice about committing another one! DM did his research into what he was getting into. He deserves to get prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in my opinion! Do I have to get into the concurrent/consecutive argument?

Throw the library at him!

Oh dear... did I tip my hat at where I stand on this one? :)

Just like they did nothing about the fact DM was the last person to speak to Laura before she disappeared. the police did not talk to DM. I guess they thought because DM had money that makes him not capable of murder.

TPS are not looking good these days. Ruling WM a suicide, failing to investigate LB disappearance, and now news that they had Bruce McArthur in their clutches and let him go. Seems like there are a lot of lives that didn't need to end if TPS had been a little more diligent.

And, presuming he's guilty and the evidence will support a conviction, once again he can't comprehend how infuriatingly offensive to normal sensibilities he is with a story like that, even if true. Murdered in your bed - the gift for the man who has everything. Ugh.

TPS are not looking good these days. Ruling WM a suicide, failing to investigate LB disappearance, and now news that they had Bruce McArthur in their clutches and let him go. Seems like there are a lot of lives that didn't need to end if TPS had been a little more diligent.

And these are the cases we know about because external factors have elevated their profile. What else is going on for people who don't have a voice amplified by media, circumstance etc.?

It kind of amazes me that this question is being asked in the media and some legal circles, even with the superficially reasonable rationale. We're a civilized country who cares for its citizens. Yes, we have to prosecute homicides. All of them. And when we don't or can't prosecute serious crimes like this, there has be be some action in its place. Bernardo for example was designated as a dangerous offender in lieu of prosecuting the rapes he acknowledged. We don't have that option for Millard, so yeah, we have to prosecute a potential third murder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back