Letter to Publix - can you think of anyone else?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gram2, will you be the keeper of the list?

What list? So far,I haven't received a response from anybody that I contacted. I'm making a liszt of the suggested items needed.

It is tax deductible if made directly to TES, (a 501 (c)(3) non profit).

They would have to get the tax ID # for TES to claim this as a deduction.

Zephyrhills Water -

I contacted Zephyrhills Water for a donation, but was told that donation requests have to be submitted 45 days in advance so they can be routed to the appropriate distribution location for review.

That said, I'm going to ask my neighbor (East Orlando Publix Manager) to donate the following:

Bottled Water
Gatorade
Ice
(and anything else that he might want to donate that TES can use)

I'll pick it up on the morning of the 8th and take it to the staging area.

FLKatz

Call the Coke and Pepsi distrubutors they are always very generous and they have WATER.........

They are in the Orlando area also - also contact Albertsons and Target and Walgreens - they all help with causes

They are in the Orlando area also - also contact Albertsons and Target and Walgreens - they all help with causes

I used to work for a university in the State of Florida and companies (Target, Chic-Fil-A, Dominos, Papa Johns Pizza, Dunkin Donuts Publix, Winn Dixie, etc) were really good about donating. A list does need to be generated (food related) to make sure that there are donated food items each day of the search. You don't want all the food showing up on Day 1 and have nothing for Day 2.

In our department: Dunkin Donuts always provided coffee (with cups, cream, etc) and donut holes for our functions. Chick-Fil-A would donate chicken tenders or sandwiches. Papa Johns and Dominos would donate large pizzas. Publix generally donated whatever was needed - water, ice, etc. Try the Mom & Pop places too - they may not be able to donate as much, but they always donated something. Maybe Starbucks would donate as well.

Lowe's and Home Depot; Sams and Costco (I'm not sure if there is a BJ's Wholesale Club there or not) may donate as well.

A list of places need to be made and contact numbers beside them; then distribute the workload of calling the places so they are not overwhelmed with the calls. All updates to the list could be made here.

ETA: Someone mentioned bug spray - I would think that would be a major item needed.

I love the idea of a list. It would be very nice if the list included an address so as many of us as possible could send them a note of thanks.

What about the local news media? Will they donate items or money to purchase items. Has anyone contacted Nancy Grace or Greta's show?

Minor league & major league sports teams? Race car drivers? Colleges? Banks? Car dealerships?

One other thought, contact ALL media locally & let them know you are looking for ldonations, have them put an article in the newspaper this week. If they won't, write a letter to the editor and hope it will be published that way.
Thanks everyone.

What list? So far,I haven't received a response from anybody that I contacted. I'm making a liszt of the suggested items needed.

If we can get responses from everyone (other WS'ers willing to help) with all the contact info, they can write to you and give you the info to add to your list. Is that something you would be willing to do to keep track of those that have agreed to donate?

If not, that's Ok..I will do it.

It is tax deductible if made directly to TES, (a 501 (c)(3) non profit).

They would have to get the tax ID # for TES to claim this as a deduction.

TES will have the forms to give out for the donations on site.

Companies contacted:

Publix Corporate
Dominos Corporate
Subway Corporate
Sam’s Club Corporate==they replied to contact local Sam's. I'm not local, can somebody do this?
Costco Corporate
Publix, Orlando East
Frito Lay

Zephyrhills Water -

I contacted Zephyrhills Water for a donation, but was told that donation requests have to be submitted 45 days in advance so they can be routed to the appropriate distribution location for review.

That said, I'm going to ask my neighbor (East Orlando Publix Manager) to donate the following:

Bottled Water
Gatorade
Ice
(and anything else that he might want to donate that TES can use)

I'll pick it up on the morning of the 8th and take it to the staging area.

FLKatz

Great!! Thank you soooo much.

I used to work for a university in the State of Florida and companies (Target, Chic-Fil-A, Dominos, Papa Johns Pizza, Dunkin Donuts Publix, Winn Dixie, etc) were really good about donating. A list does need to be generated (food related) to make sure that there are donated food items each day of the search. You don't want all the food showing up on Day 1 and have nothing for Day 2.

In our department: Dunkin Donuts always provided coffee (with cups, cream, etc) and donut holes for our functions. Chick-Fil-A would donate chicken tenders or sandwiches. Papa Johns and Dominos would donate large pizzas. Publix generally donated whatever was needed - water, ice, etc. Try the Mom & Pop places too - they may not be able to donate as much, but they always donated something. Maybe Starbucks would donate as well.

Lowe's and Home Depot; Sams and Costco (I'm not sure if there is a BJ's Wholesale Club there or not) may donate as well.

A list of places need to be made and contact numbers beside them; then distribute the workload of calling the places so they are not overwhelmed with the calls. All updates to the list could be made here.

ETA: Someone mentioned bug spray - I would think that would be a major item needed.

Bree & Lele..........thank you so much for the great ideas. This is the kind of organizing I'm talking about. You both have the best suggestions but we need to form a team to pull this off. Sounds like Gram2 has already gotten off to a wonderful start all on her own.

While I'm working on things like port-o-lets, tables, tents, chairs, etc., canvas copy centers, etc. we need someone to complete a list and split the list amongst other members and make the calls and do the emails. Then we need to coordinate the list as to who said yes and for what day. Right now, we're shooting for Nov. 8th and 9th. Any and all suggestions are welcomed as to how to fine tune this and stay organized.

What about Hand Sanitizer, lot's of doctors office get it free from drug reps.
Pizza Hut, Dominoes, KFC, Subway, sandwich/coffee places like Atlanta Bread CO ( they do box lunches) Sorry if these have already been mentioned. If you need me to make calls, just PM me. I have free long distance so I dont mind. Just need a list of who to call, where they need to drop off and what time.
Someone mentioned Krispy Kreme earlier, they are normally awesome about donating. Coffee will be needed. :blowkiss:
Just an idea--
You could contact the Florida Department of Public Health to see if they could donate hand sanitizer. This is an item that health departments usually keep stockpiled for emergencies.
State Health Dept. 850-245-4401
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/

Orange County Health Department 407-836-2600
http://www.orchd.com/

Just an idea--
You could contact the Florida Department of Public Health to see if they could donate hand sanitizer. This is an item that health departments usually keep stockpiled for emergencies.
State Health Dept. 850-245-4401
http://www.doh.state.fl.us/

Orange County Health Department 407-836-2600
http://www.orchd.com/

Another great idea. If they can't donate, maybe we can at least work with them on what things we should be doing along those lines. Thanx!

Bree & Lele..........thank you so much for the great ideas. This is the kind of organizing I'm talking about. You both have the best suggestions but we need to form a team to pull this off. Sounds like Gram2 has already gotten off to a wonderful start all on her own.

While I'm working on things like port-o-lets, tables, tents, chairs, etc., canvas copy centers, etc. we need someone to complete a list and split the list amongst other members and make the calls and do the emails. Then we need to coordinate the list as to who said yes and for what day. Right now, we're shooting for Nov. 8th and 9th. Any and all suggestions are welcomed as to how to fine tune this and stay organized.

I am MORE than willing to make phone calls. I have free long distance. I can also send a fax if co requires it, we have a machine at home. All I need is the name of the companies & either a phone number or location so I can look them up. I am in NC. Just let me know, whatever I can do, I am willing.

I called SC Johnson's 800 number and was told they donate mainly to Second Harvest but occassionally donate to smaller events but that they were not interested in Helping Texas Eq. at this time. However they did take down the info For Texas E. and perhaps they could change their mind. Sorry I could not help.

I called the Orlando Health Dept, which referred me to enviromental health. I talked with a very nice gentleman there. He told me to call Walgreen & CVS Dist centers. He said both of those are great about donating to non profit and he said TES had been in the news a lot and they were very well thought of. I did call both places but they do close at 4p so I will try tomorrow. I was trying to find an 800 number for Purell and have not been able to find it.

Let me know where else I can call. Being in NC I dont have a clue what all is there. I will be happy to do it.

I called the Orlando Health Dept, which referred me to enviromental health. I talked with a very nice gentleman there. He told me to call Walgreen & CVS Dist centers. He said both of those are great about donating to non profit and he said TES had been in the news a lot and they were very well thought of. I did call both places but they do close at 4p so I will try tomorrow. I was trying to find an 800 number for Purell and have not been able to find it.

Let me know where else I can call. Being in NC I dont have a clue what all is there. I will be happy to do it.

Okay, I'm glad I saw this as I was just getting ready to call this man myself. We are going to be stumbling over each other if we don't coordinate who is doing what. I'm working on a list of all vendors right now and will add Walgreens and CVS Distribution centers to the list with your name beside it Lele for followup on it. That way everyone knows you are handling this. Same with Gram2 for those vendors she's contacted via email. That way we're not duplicating efforts and making calls to people that have already been contacted. It'll take just a little while longer and I will have a list drafted and put on the site. People can choose which vendors they want to contact and post that on the thread so I will know who's name to put with what vendor. Does everyone agree that this is more efficient?

Okay, I'm glad I saw this as I was just getting ready to call this man myself. We are going to be stumbling over each other if we don't coordinate who is doing what. I'm working on a list of all vendors right now and will add Walgreens and CVS Distribution centers to the list with your name beside it Lele for followup on it. That way everyone knows you are handling this. Same with Gram2 for those vendors she's contacted via email. That way we're not duplicating efforts and making calls to people that have already been contacted. It'll take just a little while longer and I will have a list drafted and put on the site. People can choose which vendors they want to contact and post that on the thread so I will know who's name to put with what vendor. Does everyone agree that this is more efficient?

I sent you a PM telling you I was getting ready to call. You're right, we dont want to make duplicate calls.

I sent you a PM telling you I was getting ready to call. You're right, we dont want to make duplicate calls.

Sorry too. I pop in and out to see what's happening in between meetings. Don't always think to check messages.

Anyway, here is the list of vendors and the names of the people already working on them. For those that have no name beside them, please adopt a few, post on the thread which ones you're working with and do the lookups online for those in the East Orlando area. If you get a positive for either the 8th or 9th of November, please edit your post to include the items being donated and a phone number along with a name to contact them again when the Command Center is established and setup. I hope this works more smoothly.

Walmart
Coke
Pepsi
Frito Lay
Sams Club - Gram2
Costco - Gram2
Publix, Corporate - Gram2
Publix, Orlando East - Gram2
Frito Lay - Gram2
Krispy Kreme
Pizza Hut
Dominos - Gram2