long weekend break: discuss the latest here #101

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please no attacking because I am pretty sure everyone knows I am completely on the side that I want JA to get the DP...but I have to ask this.....I am just now listening to yesterday's cross of Dr. Samuels by JM and I love JM but does anyone think that he possibly could have been a little less attacking of him. I believe it is obvious to most that he is/was completely disorganized and extremely ill prepared and, imo, inappropriate at times....but I think everyone can pick up on that without JM being so aggresive. I do not want ANYONE to think some of the doctors discombubulation has come from this cross. Just not sure he needed to be so aggresive....again, JMO and not even sure I believe this way, just afraid some of the jurors might.

No, not at all. There's something off about Samuels, but he's never going to admit to anything unless he gets cornered in some way that he can't get out of unless he tells the truth. The best way for Juan to accomplish that is to come right at him. Some people say he's being too much of a "pitbull", but his record speaks for him and I'm sure he's always been that way (aggressive). When it comes down to it, the evidence speaks for itself and if the jurors do think he's a bit too hard on witnesses, I can't imagine someone is going to pipe up say, "hey, I know she's a cold-blooded murder, but I really don't like that prosecutor so let's let her slide a bit."

Travis was spared no mercy and probably begged for his life only to have it snatched away by a ruthless, narcissistic woman.... and he's there in the courtroom speaking on behalf of him, so I say go get 'em, Juan, any way you can.

Still trying to catch up, but . . . One of the best parts of yesterday's trial for me was when JM and DS got in an argument about whether compassion and sympathy are the same thing. JM whips out a xeroxed copy of the definition of compassion from Webster's Dictionary. The DT would never be that prepared in a month of Sundays. What a guy!

ita!

I loved that Part! It's natural for JM to feel anger when someone like the doc refuses to admit that compassion can also mean sympathy...lol

Seriously... will there be any honest experts for the DT? :twocents:

No, not at all. There's something off about Samuels, but he's never going to admit to anything unless he gets cornered in some way that he can't get out of unless he tells the truth. The best way for Juan to accomplish that is to come right at him. Some people say he's being too much of a "pitbull", but his record speaks for him and I'm sure he's always been that way (aggressive). When it comes down to it, the evidence speaks for itself and if the jurors do think he's a bit too hard on witnesses, I can't imagine someone is going to pipe up say, "hey, I know she's a cold-blooded murder, but I really don't like that prosecutor so let's let her slide a bit."

Travis was spared no mercy and probably begged for his life only to have it snatched away by a ruthless, narcissistic woman.... and he's there in the courtroom speaking on behalf of him, so I say go get 'em, Juan, any way you can.

You would be surprised at the people in my neck of woods that would don't like Juan (claiming that he is a jerk and a b$stard) and would let Jodi off for that reason. Of course they have not followed the trial - just seen bits and pieces. I hope these people in my neck of the woods that would let Jodi off because of Juan are NEVER on a jury. People scare me.

I think Juan is great and is doing a fantastic job.

I just watched it this morning! :lol: I also found it amusing when Nurmi stormed over to JM's table and grabbed it! He was sooooo mad! :lol:

I do believe the doc has/had sympathy for her!

That's not all he's got for her and Juan knows it

Blood atonement is a complete red herring regarding the JA case.

Like any intelligent murderer JA wanted to dispatch TA with finality.
Many people(myself included) reason that if murder is the aim why not use the most efficient means to achieve this end. Shooting TA in the head while he was confined in a shower stall is a priori the best possible method.
Using a knife to effectuate the murder of TA is uncertain and inherently unsafe.

It stands to reason that JA could have shot TA in the head to incapacitate him and then proceeded to attack with a knife. TA obviously defended himself with a certain but otherwise unknown amount of vigor. JA could NOT have known how an initial knife attack on TA would have turned out. In the knife first theory TA could have just as easily disarmed and overpowered JA – since he was bigger stronger and more agile than JA. It also stands to reason that JA did NOT anticipate a blood bath or the need to slice TA throat.

There is NO reason to believe that JA had a “blood lust”. TA delivered some 4-5 liters of his own warm blood onto the bathroom and bedroom floor plus whatever amount got washed down in the shower stall. This situation presented itself truly as a “HOT MESS”.

It is somewhat of a mystery why JA chose to “clean up the scene”. She certainly had no desire to hide the nature of death. The only reason why she would “clean” is to expunge any evidence of her presence at the crime scene namely fingerprints, hair fibers, any lingering DNA residue, and her own blood splatter.

[If I had been JA and was bent on murdering TA with a knife alone I would have used GLOVES].

The motivation behind the RAGE and or PANIC knife thrashes is purely speculation. She certainly could have “enjoyed” the knife thrusts as a source of revenge. But this “enjoyment” is pure luxury when one is in the heat of battle where one or the other is likely to die in the outcome.

I subscribe though to the panic reaction theory, I think JA shot him first and he did NOT die immediately, I suspect she shot again and true to the Ninja Story the gun jammed. She panicked . She had access to her knife and she began flailing indiscriminately at JA front side and then his back side. Because TA simply would NOT die on the spot JA opted for the coup de grace by attempting decapitation. This scenario comports nicely with the crime scene blood splatter pattern on the bathroom tile and sink.

This is an excellent and concise argument for the most likely scenario (especially the parts BBM).

There is another thread for the sequence debate so I won't go further than to say, if I had both a gun and a knife available, and my target was naked in the shower, which would I use? A weapon which would be slippery as soon as it came close to a wet shower and which would require physical contact with a large strong man? Or a bullet to the head (albeit with what some call a 'toy gun') from perhaps a couple of feet away?

There was no clean up, only attempts to reduce evidence of her own presence that day. The apparent wipe marks in the centre of the hallway were (according to the forensic woman) drag marks from the body.

I believe JA bided her time throughout the day, lulling TA into a sense of false security, then eventually coaxed him into the shower to maximise his vulnerability and hence her advantage. This was cold, calculated and entirely premeditated.

O/T Softail it is lunch time in my area and your burgers look really good!!!!

I'm not sure how I'm going to cope when they get this next non-expert up there...you KNOW they're going to drag TA through the mud as evidenced by the obvious set-up of "she was abused/had ptsd" story from Dr. Samuels.

I hate that these frauds are able to find a niche and fool people who don't know any better. Laviolette has no PhD, I don't think she's published in a peer reviewed journal, her youtube videos are simply bizarre. Yet, like with other charlatans, people are taken in by them with their appeals to their emotions and incorrect conclusions drawn from facts in any given situation. I do NOT get how people like this woman and Sally Koriath are allowed in as experts.

I don't know anything about Tesoro, but Walmart has had an incredibly detailed inventory system for years. They mine their own data for restocking and to predict future sales. They can predict how many packs of gum will be sold at a specific store on a particular afternoon. And iirc, the Walmart transaction was paid with a credit card. they will reiterate their policy of not giving cash back for items paid for with a credit card--they will only credit the account.

I agree. Going back 5-10 years ago, Walmart had the world's largest non-military database. From day one of their existence, they have always been on the cutting edge of data collection and how to best utilize it. There is zero chance that any and all returns during 2008 were not tracked in their database.

I hope Juan and the Alexander family can get SOME sort of rest this weekend, and recharge for what's ahead.
I expect La Violette's testimony will trash Travis, and be hard to listen to. Painting Travis as a pedo and abuser must be unbearable for the family, and Juan is their only warrior against these lies.
Thinking of them all, and sending them prayers and strength.

Please no attacking because I am pretty sure everyone knows I am completely on the side that I want JA to get the DP...but I have to ask this.....I am just now listening to yesterday's cross of Dr. Samuels by JM and I love JM but does anyone think that he possibly could have been a little less attacking of him. I believe it is obvious to most that he is/was completely disorganized and extremely ill prepared and, imo, inappropriate at times....but I think everyone can pick up on that without JM being so aggresive. I do not want ANYONE to think some of the doctors discombubulation has come from this cross. Just not sure he needed to be so aggresive....again, JMO and not even sure I believe this way, just afraid some of the jurors might.

I respectfully disagree.

I think JM is carefully watching this jury, unlike the defense who drone on and on and on until the jury has to call a break.

I think he knows exactly how much pressure to exert and when to back off. If the good doctor weren't evasive, playing word games, and back-tracking over is own testimony constantly, Mr. M wouldn't have to push so hard. Just MOO.

Translation: For $250 per hour, I will manipulate the evaluation and test scores to ensure that your client's diagnosis matches the defense strategy.

:couch:

Exactly!

He also has this:

When you need a verified expert in the field of Sexually Violent Perpetrator commitment hearings, Psychosexual Risk Assessments for sentencing, Sexual Harassment and Gender Discrimination Matters for Defendants and Emotional Trauama from Medical Malpractice for Defendants and Plaintiffs, Dr. Richard Samuels has the experience, education and prestige to help you support your vital arguments.

Still trying to catch up, but . . . One of the best parts of yesterday's trial for me was when JM and DS got in an argument about whether compassion and sympathy are the same thing. JM whips out a xeroxed copy of the definition of compassion from Webster's Dictionary. The DT would never be that prepared in a month of Sundays. What a guy!

I detected a glimmer of momentary awe and professional appreciation by the DT over that move.

If you are telling the truth you will answer whatever way the question is asked. It is easier to catch someone in a lie when using the technique JM uses on some of his witnesses. He knows which ones are stretching the truth and in some instances lying and he handles them accordingly. We have seen JM at both ends of the scale. We have also seen JM question Flores in an aggressive manner so it is a technique he uses without favoritism. JM does not want to call DS a liar, he wants DS to prove to everyone he is not being 100% truthful. So far JM is doing a pretty good job of it. jmo

I respectfully disagree.

I think JM is carefully watching this jury, unlike the defense who drone on and on and on until the jury has to call a break.

I think he knows exactly how much pressure to exert and when to back off. If the good doctor weren't evasive, playing word games, and back-tracking over is own testimony constantly, Mr. M wouldn't have to push so hard. Just MOO.

Granted this is a difficult case to "win" it is not a difficult case (simple Murder 1st degree with premeditation, Classic Stalker vs Victim)

Dr S gave it the old college try as his tag line suggests. But you can't win them all. I think the little symbol on the left stands for "I give up"
opposition.gif

FACT: Emotional suffering always accompanies severe and/or permanent physical injury;

FACT: Emotional suffering is often HIDDEN or LATENT and may not be evident until symptoms
of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder begin to manifest;

FACT: When a jury is presented with clear and easy to understand psychological testimony,
it WILL take all psychological factors into account when determining an award for damages.

I saw JM's approach to Samuels as righteous indignation toward a hired hack obviously unworthy of occupying the "expert" seat. Hoping for more of the same from JM on Monday.

Here's a history of the DT's on Arias's case.

http://www./show/laiqem

Thank you.. Sounds like, outside the normal course legal wrangling, etc, she was very difficult to deal with as a client!!! I can just imagine what Travis went through as the "so-called g/f"!!!

JMHO

Well, she did say she had never killed anyone before. First kills usually are more messy.

she's certainly no dexter morgan, but i concur. given more experience JA would clearly learn by her mistakes.

Exactly!

He also has this:

When you need a verified expert in the field of Sexually Violent Perpetrator commitment hearings, Psychosexual Risk Assessments for sentencing, Sexual Harassment and Gender Discrimination Matters for Defendants and Emotional Trauama from Medical Malpractice for Defendants and Plaintiffs, Dr. Richard Samuels has the experience, education and prestige to help you support your vital arguments.

Translation: I'm arrogant, cocky, and a liar just like your client. I will tap dance around any questions from opposing counsel or jurors to ensure a positive outcome for your client.

:couch:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members