long weekend break: discuss the latest here #102

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is another thing that's making my head spin on these threads. This is a relatively standard intimate partner crime. None of the details are particularly shocking or unusual except that we've seen pics of private parts because they're the best evidence of presence at the crime scene and the religious aspect. Mormons doing un-Mormanlike things always makes the news here (see the bestiality couple I posted previously). Yeah, there were a bunch of stabs wounds. Compare it to the other case that Juan prosecuted with the rape and killing of a teen girl and the torture of her little brother in the presence of her restrained parents. THAT is sick. Manson's followers committed their crimes on complete strangers. They cut the fetus out of the stomach of a 9 month pregnant woman. Dahmer drilled holes into his victim's brain while he was alive and poured chemicals in there to see what would happen.

Jodi Arias isn't even slightly the worst criminal who's walked the face of the earth. Not even close. If she were to be out of prison tomorrow, I wouldn't worry myself about her in the slightest. jm

BBM

OT but the first sentence in bold isn't true and has been refuted many times. Also, fetuses are in wombs, not stomachs.

As for the second bolded sentence just.....wow.

Wasnt it found in the rental car she used to make her az trip? Her mom tipped the cops off!

I have a question ??
Ok she steals a 25 mm from grandpa?

No, a 25 mm bullet would be bigger than a .25 caliber gun.

8585894336_f18ec1c75e.jpg

She buys a 9mm?

Yes, and 9mm guns take 9mm ammunition.

Isn't a 9mm less powerful than 25 mm

This is what a 25 mm gun that isn't mounted on a battleship would look like:

xm_109_2.jpg

Supposedly she had bought the 9mm to protect herself from the 3 guys she was going camping with (lied).

A 9mm gun doesn't take 25mm ammo, or non-existant .25 mm ammo. Neither does a .25 caliber

You have every right to be irritated! This whole trial is just irritating.

I'm annoyed because people are taking a mistake made by a talking head, citing either 25mm ammo or ridiculous .25mm ammo as if it is a fact.

The talking head either meant .25 caliber ammo or 9mm ammo. and conflated the two. As it's a transcript I doubt she said "point 25 millimeters" and probably said "25 mm" when she meant 9 millimeter rather than .25 caliber.

The persistance of this obvious error interpreted as a fact seems to be based on not knowing much about how bullets should be described.

There are two ways to denote the size of a projectile: In caliber or in millimeters: You can't mix and match the two. When you use .22, .25, .38, .45 caliber you are talking Imperial measurements. When you use .9mm, 7.62, you are talking Metric measurements.

Caliber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Cartridge naming conventions

Makers of early cartridge arms had to invent methods of naming[2] the cartridges, since there was at the time no established convention. One of the early established cartridge arms was the Spencer repeating rifle, which saw service in the American Civil War. It was named based on the chamber dimensions, rather than the bore diameter, with the earliest cartridge called the "No. 56 cartridge," indicating a chamber diameter of .56 inch; the bore diameter varied considerably, from .52 to .54 inch. Later various derivatives were created using the same basic cartridge but with smaller diameter bullets; these were named by the cartridge diameter at the base and mouth. The original No. 56 became the .56-56, and the smaller versions, .56-52, .56-50, and .56-46. The .56-52, the most common of the new calibers, used a .50 caliber bullet.

Other early white powder-era (Ballistite and Poudre blanche) cartridges used naming schemes that appeared similar, but measured entirely different characteristics. .45-70, .38-40, and .32-20 were designated by bullet diameter in hundredths of an inch and standard black powder charge in grains. Optionally the bullet weight in grains was designated, e.g. .45-70-405. This scheme was far more popular and was carried over after the advent of early smokeless powder cartridges such as the .30-30 Winchester and .22 Long; or a relative power, such as .44 Special and .44 Magnum. Variations on these methods persist today, with new cartridges such as the .204 Ruger and .17 HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire).

Metric calibers for small arms are usually expressed with an "x" between the width and the length; for example, 7.62x51 NATO. This indicates that the barrel diameter is 7.62 mm land to land, loaded in a case 51 mm long. Similarly, the 6.5x55 Swedish cartridge is fired from a 6.5 mm diameter barrel and has a case length of 55 mm. The means of measuring a rifled bore varies, and may refer to the diameter of the lands or the grooves of the rifling; this is why the .303 British, measured across the lands, actually uses a .311 inch bullet (7.70 mm vs. 7.90 mm), while the .308 Winchester, dimensionally similar to (but should not be considered interchangeable with) the 7.62x51 mm NATO cartridge, is measured across the lands and uses a .308" diameter (.308 times 25.4 = 7.82 mm) bullet. An exception to this rule are the proprietary cartridges used by U.S. maker Lazzeroni, which are named based on the groove diameter in millimeters, such as the 7.82 Warbird.[2][3]

Modern small arms range in bore size from approximately 0.17 inches (4.5 mm) up to 0.50 inches (12.7 mm). Arms used to hunt large dangerous game, such as those used in express rifles, may be as large as 0.80 inches in caliber. In the middle of the 19th century, muskets and muzzle-loading rifles were .58 caliber or larger; the Brown Bess flintlock, for example, had a bore diameter of about 0.75 inches (19 mm). Paintball guns (or "markers") are typically .68 caliber (17 mm).

And the more people talk about "25mm ammo" or ".25mm ammo" without citing a source for what in earth they are talking about besides some talking head who made an obvious mistake, the more annoyed I get.

Can someone give an authoritative cite for what ammo was found at the mother's house?

Hint: It's not going to be ".25mm" and if it was 25 mm I'd like to know how they hid that gun.

Most likely it was ammo for the 9mm, because the talking head used "mm" while bouncing around 9mm and .25 caliber in her head during the discussion.

:floorlaugh:
Thank you to whomever posted "The Never Ending Answer" and the "Never Seen Before Testimony". Both were hilarious!

My best guess is the loud woman who was sitting behind JA's mother in court on Thursday who was removed for being obnoxious. When she stood up, she allegedly said to JA's mother that she wished JA dead.

I'm not an attorney, but best guess is that the incident is preserved for appeal purposes.

I would hope that this behavior would not be an appeal issue what so ever but the court seeing it as one person's emotions or ploy. If it were an appeal issue no one would be allowed to sit in the gallery and also every defendant would be having someone do that for them. Perhaps that was what was in the notes passed from JA to mom. haha
Nice try Arias!

Good Morning one and all ~~~ waving to all ~~~~~

Hope all are doing good on this NC rainy day!

Cite?

Okay, because this is starting to annoy me, I won't be subtle anymore:

Unless we are talking about a firearm in the shrunken down sub in Fantastic Voyage, There's no such thing as .25 mm ammo.

You can have .25 caliber ammo. You can have 25 mm ammo, but conflating caliber and metric (ie, apples and oranges for measuring the size of a bullet) as .25 mm is simply ridiculous on the face of it.

ruler.png

Do you have any idea how small .25mm (25% of 1 millimeter) is?

So when I say it's prima facie wrong that ".25 mm ammo" was found, I'm not guessing.

I know very little about guns and less about ammo. Correct the poster if you know the difference by saying what the ammo is, not admonish them, please. It was the ammo for the .25 caliber gun that was found in Jodi's mother house. Cite it????? I'm not the one who is concerned about it being an error. It is in the records and if there is a question it is easily found in the court records. It would be contained in the police report at the very least.

I see no link in your post to .9mm ammo found in the mother's house. When I see it I'll believe it but until that time I will stick with what has been reported. I'm sorry you are annoyed but doing research first might help you resolve that. It works for me when I have an issue over what has been reported. We are just posting information we have already read about or heard in the courtroom testimony. I don't watch TV so most of my info is from reading it here. jmo

she dated a string of losers she could easily snow and then control. TA was the jackpot, in her mind. nice house, made good money, had very nice friends who adored him, etc.
i think her frustration over not being able to win him over completely and be 'the one' just drove her to what she did.

one thing i'm just sticking in here is that conversation she and TA had about marrying other people. that was so manipulative and yet her DT keeps bringing it up as evidence she didn't want to marry TA. what she was doing was making sure he understood that he wasn't going to find a freak in bed like her in the pool of nice mormon girls he was interested in. i've listened to that several times and it's clear as a bell to me what she's doing.

and those journal entries about there being something 'off' about him and all the reasons she didn't want to marry him? well, personally i think that and a LOT of these journal entries were written much later and are self-serving. i think a great deal of the journal evidence is completely fake.

:rocker: We are so on the same page! I keep quietly hoping to myself that Juan has the goods to blow those journals apart, and show the true meaning behind the 'wrath' texts. Then there's the recorded sex tape .... :please:

Good Morning one and all ~~~ waving to all ~~~~~

Hope all are doing good on this NC rainy day!

Will the sun ever come out? And what happened to spring? I'm normally in shorts by now living close to the coast. I hear there's an APB out on Mr. Phil Groundhog. Heard they pulled his passport. lol

Yesterday I got in a back-and-forth with somebody over Jodi, in her interrogation being with Det. Flores, asking to see some photos. Everybody kept calling them crime scene photos. I pointed out that what she wanted to see were the "inadvertent" photos taken at the time of the murder, not the photos taken by LE after Travis was found. I didn't really get anywhere. I'm convinced that people do hear you, but it's just not registering as far as typing -- like typing "here" when you mean "hear."

Yup, and at one point wasn't there a lot of back and forth with people who thought some of the "crime scene photos" were "inadvertant photos" no matter how many times it was pointed out that Jodi wouldn't have put down the little yellow evidence tags visible in the photos during the murder?

That sort of thing only annoys me briefly, then I go back to being entertained.

I spent years during the 90s on alt.conspiracy.jfk arguing with conspiracy nuts who would be corrected on Monday that CE399, the "pristine bullet" was flattened on one side and extruded lead from the core and so wasn't at all pristine (and therefore not planted on Connally's stretcher at Parkland hospital as they claimed) only to have them repeat it to the newbs on a Wednesday.

If you aren't entertained by that, the only other option is :banghead:

What I heard was that there were 25 caliber bullets found at JA's PARENTS house - Never heard the quantity

I had not heard this. Interesting that they would have 25 caliber ammo if they didn't have a 25 caliber gun. So where's the gun to go with that ammo ? :waitasec:

Will the sun ever come out? And what happened to spring? I'm normally in shorts by now living close to the coast. I hear there's an APB out on Mr. Phil Groundhog. Heard they pulled his passport. lol

When they catch him.. Look for the warm weather he / she hid on us here in NC!!!

Now yesterday it wasn't bad but not super warm either :-(

For those interested this site shows the difference in ammunition.

http://oklahomaconcealedcarry.com/Caliber_Confusion.html

.25 caliber

Larger in diameter than the .22 calibers, but less powerful, is the .25 Auto Colt Pistol, usually called .25 ACP or .25 Auto. The .25 ACP is a centerfire round unique to handguns. If you're looking for a defense round, stay away from this one. Although quite common in cheap handguns, it really isn't powerful enough to do what you need it to do.

9mm

Its bullet actually measures .355" (9mm) in diameter. Because its bullet diameter is 9mm, but the overall length of the cartridge is shorter than other 9mm ammunition, .380 ACP is sometimes called the 9mm Short. Other names for it are 9mm Kurz (kurz means short in German), or 9mm Corto (Corto means short in Italian). It's also sometimes called the 9mm Browning because its inventor was John Moses Browning. The .380 ACP round is widely believed to be the minimal round acceptable for self-defense, and it was the favored police round throughout Europe for most of the 20th century.

I had not heard this. Interesting that they would have 25 caliber ammo if they didn't have a 25 caliber gun. So where's the gun to go with that ammo ? :waitasec:

My first thought was they COULD have removed the ammo from the grandparent's house because they may have suspected Jodi took it. This way Jodi wouldn't have had access to the ammo. What bothers me is Det. Flores said her family was not surprised she was arrested so they had to have known she was capable of doing it. It's also possible Jodi was obsessing about Travis before the gun was stolen and when Travis was found dead they knew she had done it. jmo

FYI, a "25 mm bullet" would be 1 inch in diameter. They look like this:

8585894336_f18ec1c75e.jpg

That's going to sting. It would explain why, if it did, grandpa's 25 caliber pistol jammed, eh?

You think maybe the reference is to 9mm ammo left at Jodi's mother's house after her purchase of a 9mm pistol?

Projectile ammunition references -- especially ammunition propelled through cylindrical, rifled barrels -- are expressed as the distance between the barrel's rifling lands and grooves.

9mm = 9 millimeters

.25 caliber = .25 inches

The same conventions are employed to describe other ammunition sizes as well; e.g., .45 caliber, .22 cal, .50 cal et al.

We typically see folks err with respect to their verbal as compared to their written expressions of these terms, although the occasional confusion of millimeter and caliber does creep in as well.

Will we re-train others to speak in terms of "point 25 caliber"?

Although the phrasing would certainly provide consistency between the written and verbal references to same, this is not likely.

I shall not endeavor to wax pedant on shotgun and gauge size expressions at this point.

I suspect she was going to continue stalking the target rich PPL hunting grounds. Couldn't really keep Travis around spreading "rumors" about her...

Supper tonight is mesquite smoked brisket, pork ribs, dirty rice and BBQ chicken for lunch after church
Made some BBQ sauce that turned out great (after many attempts)

umm...address please.:please:

I've been thinking about this for some time now and I want to express it because it saddens me so.
I am very disturbed by the ease with which JA speaks of Travis, how she brought his personality, his words, his feelings into her testimony. She has taken him-every bit of him-for herself. It goes beyond the killing. She is the last to have him. The saying goes "if I can't have him, nobody will". And that is what she has accomplished.
There is nothing that anyone can do to make her stop saying his name. That makes me crazy. Hearing his name come from her foul mouth makes me ill.
Implying that he would care what she says or does is unbelievable. Knowing that she takes pleasure in owning him and keeping him alive while continuing to kill him is unconscionable.
This trial and this ridiculous defense has allowed this to happen. I don't know how defense attorneys sleep at night when they know that their defendant is guilty as charged and they're trying to set her free. THAT is not justice.

So sad. Bless you Alexander family. :rose:

Very well said, Jeffssis. I know what you mean, she talks about him like he was hers, as though she had been with him since the beginning of time, like she owned him.

Jodi herself said she was calling the police trying to figure out what forensics that had, 3 psychologists/criminologist and add Dr. Drew to that mix agreed that Jodi wanted to see the photos to see the photos to formulate her next lies, err... tell the "truth", figure out the forensics.....
I've read a lot of murder books but I don't recall ever seeing someone, especially a woman, asking to see death photos. Also, almost immediately Jodi asked Flores if a gun or a knife was used, bigRED FLAG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kirstycrab