Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery by Robert Kolker

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wait, I thought I was elected genius just last month... at the meeting.

THE TRUTH is everybody (most) on this Board have something worthwhile to say. Do not discount anyone. Even though you think they are stupid and wrong they do have something to contribute. You get a sense of the thinking out there.

I agree with the poster above who "couldn't put it down" in spite of a few factual errors. The author did a great job noting details and presenting different points of view and it definitely got my wheels turning again.

The level of information the book contained about the families kinda bothered me though, while some was totally relevant, I felt like a lot of that was none of my business.

Overall though, I would strongly recommend this book to fellow case followers and justice seekers and I hope interest is renewed.

Did the author say that they were all from out of town? Because that isn't true. ALC was living in Babylon, NY. She had been a resident of Long Island for about a year or so.

Just between us die-hards...I don't think the two that have been quoted come from any open-minded perspective and I do believe they are the two most biased and unscientific of the lot of us, JMO, of course. Self proclaimed experts are usually just that, again IMO.

Just to add:
One of those self proclaimed experts (the "good professor" is no Dr Watson, I presume) contributed very little case-specific research or contributions, IMO.

Did the author say that they were all from out of town? Because that isn't true. ALC was living in Babylon, NY. She had been a resident of Long Island for about a year or so.

In a sense, Amber was presented as being an out of towner like the other girls but the author did explain how she ended up on LI and in Babylon living with DS. I'd say the geographical histories of all the girls were pretty thoroughly explained.

ALC lived on West Babylon/North Babylon border. Don't u dare confuse those two the "Babylon" or even worse South of Monatuk or the Village of Babylon.

Just me being a jerk. Sorry. But the LI people from this area will know the pretentious attitude of a lot around here.

But I think where she it was West Babylon. The border between North and West is weird over there.

What show would that be? And when?

I was told this by PeterB. He said him and a few others. He did not go into depth about it with me. But it's a few other posters who no longer post here. I do believe they were asked not to anymore. But now that I know he was in the book Lost Girls I wonder if he was talking about that but didn't want to share to much. On the other hand the fact he made it into the book gives him some merit IMO. I can go dig up the email but if I remember right he said it would be out sometime this summer....so who knows maybe it has something to do with this new 48 hours.

Makes ya think what other nut bars are just reading the comments and not posting.

Ha I wonder this all the time. I'd like to know how many times the LISK him self has read all this. I mean you would think he would have to be. The internet seems to be one of his things.

[ame="http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50151326n"]Long Island Serial Killer - 48 Hours - CBS News[/ame]

The Latest 48 Hours on the Long Island "Serial" Killer.

I can't get it to play. Can someone give a synopsis, please?

ETA: I got it to load

So, as some had suspected, SG was on the phone with 911 when she talked to VColetti.

Long Island Serial Killer - 48 Hours - CBS News

The Latest 48 Hours on the Long Island "Serial" Killer.

I can't get it to play. Can someone give a synopsis, please?

ETA: I got it to load

So, as some had suspected, SG was on the phone with 911 when she talked to VColetti.

This is a picture of a girl who was the victim of a serial killer in Canada. High of Tears.

I should like a few other reviews. Robert Kolker has a very long curriculum vitae (C.V.) He is a published and reviewed author. I look forward to hearing what other writers of note have to say about the book. A few folks here say it is a compelling read.

If anyone has finished the book, can you give a brief summary...is there anything other than family dynamics and history that we haven't discussed? Did he interview, Michael Pak, Alex Diaz, Johnny Terry, Akeem Cruz, Khalil White, or the friends who traveled with MBB to NYC. Did he speak to MW's friend, now in the Orlando area, who said that MW was at her home the night before she went missing? Did he interview JB's neighbors...especially the one who saw him and another person loading a U-Haul, around midnight, a few months after SG disappeared and by only one dim light? Did he interview the actual drifter?

These are just a few people that might help to give the complete picture.

I should like a few other reviews. Robert Kolker has a very long curriculum vitae (C.V.) He is a published and reviewed author. I look forward to hearing what other writers of note have to say about the book. A few folks here say it is a compelling read.

If anyone has finished the book, can you give a brief summary...is there anything other than family dynamics and history that we haven't discussed? Did he interview, Michael Pak, Alex Diaz, Johnny Terry, Akeem Cruz, Khalil White, or the friends who traveled with MBB to NYC. Did he speak to MW's friend, now in the Orlando area, who said that MW was at her home the night before she went missing? Did he interview JB's neighbors...especially the one who saw him and another person loading a U-Haul, around midnight, a few months after SG disappeared and by only one dim light? Did he interview the actual drifter?

These are just a few people that might help to give the complete picture.

Okay, let's see what I remember...
He definitely interviewed Alex and Johnny and there's a lot of detail provided from interviews with MBB's friend (I think her name is Sarah??) who was with her in NYC before she disappeared. I don't remember an interview with Pak but it may have just been insignificant. He interviewed Hackett and Brewer which is interesting. Nothing about that U-haul story (thanks for reminding me of that, I had forgotten). He talked about the drifter but didn't seem to have spoken to him. He implied that he doesn't think the drifter was there that specific night and stated that the Drifter's book didn't provide any useful info. Hope that answered some of your questions.

The book provides a more in-depth look at the victims, as well as providing additional information regarding dates, places and people involved in their sex-industry jobs. As always, it's important to keep in mind the perspective of the accounts, and I think Kolker allows us to use our intellectual abilities to do just that (without beating us over the head with it). "Lost Girls" is most definitely worth reading.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back