MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the above article: "When guests arrived at Abbie’s house around 6 p.m. for the big game, the oven was still warm, but Abbie was gone."

So for the oven to still be warm, she must not have been gone too terribly long. I know it depends on each specific oven and how hot she had run it, but about how long does it take for an oven to cool? And I suppose they say warm and not hot, so maybe it had been awhile (over an hour). It kind of seems like she turned off the oven, pulled whatever out, and immediately left the house to go for her walk.

I agree that it seems LE knows something if they are saying they don't suspect foul play. And her family has not made any statements about it either.
I'm going to guess that the oven was still warm because she had made cookies. Just a guess, but the Chief did say that there were cookies out on the table. Most cookies are baked at 350 degrees. So, warm your oven up to 350, turn it off, and let us know how long it stays warm. :):p;) MOO

I found it curious, since it's been speculated she might have walked in that direction/ that area. Could be different security guards at different times...or none at all in February. It is interesting in that if she did walk that way and there is a guard around all the time, she might have been seen. JMO

There are a few security guards. One of them enjoys taking photos of sunsets. It is a beautiful area. Note that there is no gate- except at the parking lot at the lighthouse at the end of Eastern Point. This is to say that the public has access to the “private road,” primarily to visit the Beauport Museum, the lighthouse and breakwater, as well as the yacht club. There is also a large retreat property in the area. Basically, the security guards patrol the area, get to know the residents, check on properties, open & close the lighthouse gate at dawn & dusk, and possibly enforce the private beach access. During the summer months, the security guards discourage beach parking that violates the parking rules of the nearby Niles Beach. They will also enforce access closure in the event of a large storm that would/could be dangerous to pedestrians (fallen power lines, or ocean surf that could potentially wash a person right off of the breakwater, from which people often fish and take scenic photos during nice weather). I hope this gives you readers an idea of the role the security guards play on Eastern Point. If there were an emergency, if a home alarm was set off, they might be the first point of contact.

It
This is JMO but I feel it's possible that her son was able to give insight to investigators about her frame of mind that afternoon. Perhaps she was dealing with news that has been kept private. I'm also not ruling out that she may have had an accident or medical incident of some kind. I think that's probably more likely than abduction but who knows at this point. It was definitely a major and immediate response from LE compared to some others who have gone missing and there has to be a reason for that.

It had been stated in some reports that there was major training that was pre-scheduled. The police utilized that scheduled training by taking it to Gloucester to aid & assist with the investigation. I’m sure someone in this group could find that info, either in the Gloucester Daily Times, or from GoodMorningGloucester. I think that’s why there was such a large, immediate police response- or at least, that’s what they are telling us.

It

It had been stated in some reports that there was major training that was pre-scheduled. The police utilized that scheduled training by taking it to Gloucester to aid & assist with the investigation. I’m sure someone in this group could find that info, either in the Gloucester Daily Times, or from GoodMorningGloucester. I think that’s why there was such a large, immediate police response- or at least, that’s what they are telling us.

Yes, I read that too and so lucky for the family that was the case BUT I also think that even despite the supposed training situation they still mobilized very fast compared to other cases where it's been more of an "this is an adult, they are allowed to walk off without telling anyone" situation. I think there was something that made them think she could have been the victim of an accident, a medical incident, maybe had just had discouraging news, etc.

There are a few security guards. One of them enjoys taking photos of sunsets. It is a beautiful area. Note that there is no gate- except at the parking lot at the lighthouse at the end of Eastern Point. This is to say that the public has access to the “private road,” primarily to visit the Beauport Museum, the lighthouse and breakwater, as well as the yacht club. There is also a large retreat property in the area. Basically, the security guards patrol the area, get to know the residents, check on properties, open & close the lighthouse gate at dawn & dusk, and possibly enforce the private beach access. During the summer months, the security guards discourage beach parking that violates the parking rules of the nearby Niles Beach. They will also enforce access closure in the event of a large storm that would/could be dangerous to pedestrians (fallen power lines, or ocean surf that could potentially wash a person right off of the breakwater, from which people often fish and take scenic photos during nice weather). I hope this gives you readers an idea of the role the security guards play on Eastern Point. If there were an emergency, if a home alarm was set off, they might be the first point of contact.

I just want to add that I am not privy to the duties of the Eastern Point guards.
I had two points with my prior post:
1) Abbie may have shared the common interest of photography with one of the guards. (Referring to her FB post)
2) The guards do not necessarily see every pedestrian or motorist that travels the Eastern Point roads.

I just want to add that I am not privy to the duties of the Eastern Point guards.
I had two points with my prior post:
1) Abbie may have shared the common interest of photography with one of the guards. (Referring to her FB post)
2) The guards do not necessarily see every pedestrian or motorist that travels the Eastern Point roads.
Good points. Who knows if she even walked in that direction? It’s just a possibility and if so, a potential person to ask info of.

Glad to see that residents are remaining vigilant. From the article:

[...]

Police were called to St. Anthony's on Farrington Avenue Saturday morning to meet with a citizen who found a piece of red clothing that may be related to the missing person investigation of Abbie Flynn.

[...]

On Saturday, police collected the article of clothing, which at first glance it appeared to be a child's pajama pants, and forwarded it to Detective Thomas Quinn for further investigation.

Police reported that the article of clothing was found on the side of the St. Anthony's building near Farrington Avenue in a small wooded area.

[...]

FEB 10, 2020
Houston woman missing for more than a week in Massachusetts, officials say
A Houston woman has been missing for more than a week...

Abbie Flynn, 59, split her time between Houston and Gloucester, friends told KPRC 2.

[...]

Neighbors in the West University area were shocked to hear of Flynn’s disappearance.

When the mother of three was in Houston, neighbor MD said she and her husband, RB, kept to themselves.

“The times I met her, she was always very, very nice,” said Deutsch. “They’re quiet. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to go after someone like that – if that’s the case that she was kidnapped, or I don’t know.”

[...]

Yes, I read that too and so lucky for the family that was the case BUT I also think that even despite the supposed training situation they still mobilized very fast compared to other cases where it's been more of an "this is an adult, they are allowed to walk off without telling anyone" situation. I think there was something that made them think she could have been the victim of an accident, a medical incident, maybe had just had discouraging news, etc.
Here is a link to the goodmorninggloucester website that has the video featured of the police chief update (it’s from last week), and he clarifies that there was a pre-planned, regional training exercise for that day, which they decided to move to Gloucester to conduct the training since they had a live search underway. It’s a long presentation, but he does clarify it.
Good Morning Gloucester

Glad to see that residents are remaining vigilant. From the article:

[...]

Police were called to St. Anthony's on Farrington Avenue Saturday morning to meet with a citizen who found a piece of red clothing that may be related to the missing person investigation of Abbie Flynn.

[...]

On Saturday, police collected the article of clothing, which at first glance it appeared to be a child's pajama pants, and forwarded it to Detective Thomas Quinn for further investigation.

Police reported that the article of clothing was found on the side of the St. Anthony's building near Farrington Avenue in a small wooded area.

[...]
So, the article doesn’t confirm whether or not the clothing is indeed a children’s pajama pants?

Here is a link to the goodmorninggloucester website that has the video featured of the police chief update (it’s from last week), and he clarifies that there was a pre-planned, regional training exercise for that day, which they decided to move to Gloucester to conduct the training since they had a live search underway. It’s a long presentation, but he does clarify it.
Good Morning Gloucester

As I wrote above, how lucky for her family. They never have to doubt that everything that could have been done to find her in those first hours, was done. But I don't think that even if other information influenced their decision to deploy the way they did, that the police chief would mention it at this stage.

There seem to be some conflicting reports, many questions without answers, and much speculation here. However, Chief Conley said we have to go with what we know. What we know is that Abbie told her son she "might" go for a walk in the neighborhood after she spoke with him. Here are just some thoughts to ponder regarding this horribly sad situation.

If Abbie did go for a walk I would think she would want to return to the house by the time it got dark because friends were arriving for the Super Bowl get-together at 6:00 p.m. She said she might take a "walk" not a "hike" before her guests arrived. Not a hike where she would have time to explore and take her time taking photographs. And, she left her camera at home, as well as her cell phone. Therefore, how long a walk would she realistically have taken?

Sunset on that day was 5:00 p.m., pitch dark by 5:30 p.m. if not before. For example, if she took a walk for a half hour in one direction it would take her a half hour to get back if she didn't dally along the way, longer if she did. And, there's the possibility that she was not capable of returning. The window from 3:00-6:00 p.m. was a small one, so how far could she have gone in either direction around her neighborhood? For example, how long would it take someone to walk from her house to the breakwater at the end of Eastern Point, or to the grounds of the Eastern Point Retreat House, or in the other direction to the ocean or wooded areas, and back again?

As soon as her friends reported her missing around 7:00 p.m. an immediate response and search began. Chief Conley said they searched the entire area very thoroughly with helicopters, thermal imaging, aircraft flew patterns over the water, K9s, boats as close to shore as they could go, police on foot searched and questioned neighbors, checked their home cameras, searched their premises and any out buildings, neighbors searched, etc., and this went on for at least a night and several days, and to a lesser degree is still going on now with detectives in ways we probably are unaware of. An unprecedented and thorough search. Except, that at the time, it was very difficult to get boats close to shore. This is what worries me.

Again, for example, much of the 30 acres of land around the Eastern Point Retreat House is quite desolate and dense, and along the shore there are areas where the rocks are quite elevated from the ocean. Rocks that one could actually fall from, as opposed to wading into a pond or wading into the ocean from a beach. One could trip, hit one's head and fall in the ocean. Or, one might have a medical event and pass out, and fall in. Or, I suppose be pushed, but as Chief Conley said the chance of foul play is very, very low and is not suspected. In any case, no matter how familiar you are with the sea, how aware you are of the elements and dangers of nature and of your surroundings, sometimes things can go horribly wrong in an instant no matter how careful you are.

Chief Conley said the seas were 3-5 feet at the time, and therefore it was difficult to get boats close to shore. If the seas were 3-5 feet that would mean the winds were 15-20 kts. High tide was at 5:23 p.m. Sunset at 5:00 p.m., and total darkness by 5:30 p.m. For all these reasons it was understandably difficult for boats to get close to the shore to search. And, by the time the search got underway, especially the water search, it was past 7:00 p.m. Also, with winds 15-20 its it might be difficult for someone to hear a cry for help. Water temperature was 39 degrees which would mean a person could only survive 15-30 minutes in the water. Thermal imaging works well in the dark and on land, but does it work in or through water?

I happened to be driving through Gloucester on my way to Rockport that afternoon at about the same time Abbie went missing. I was struck by how quiet the town seemed. Very few cars and very few people out and about. I attributed it to the fact that everyone had finished their shopping during the day, and were at home cooking and watching the pre-game show before the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, not many people around to see or hear someone in distress.

Again, just some thoughts to ponder.

There seem to be some conflicting reports, many questions without answers, and much speculation here. However, Chief Conley said we have to go with what we know. What we know is that Abbie told her son she "might" go for a walk in the neighborhood after she spoke with him. Here are just some thoughts to ponder regarding this horribly sad situation.

If Abbie did go for a walk I would think she would want to return to the house by the time it got dark because friends were arriving for the Super Bowl get-together at 6:00 p.m. She said she might take a "walk" not a "hike" before her guests arrived. Not a hike where she would have time to explore and take her time taking photographs. And, she left her camera at home, as well as her cell phone. Therefore, how long a walk would she realistically have taken?

Sunset on that day was 5:00 p.m., pitch dark by 5:30 p.m. if not before. For example, if she took a walk for a half hour in one direction it would take her a half hour to get back if she didn't dally along the way, longer if she did. And, there's the possibility that she was not capable of returning. The window from 3:00-6:00 p.m. was a small one, so how far could she have gone in either direction around her neighborhood? For example, how long would it take someone to walk from her house to the breakwater at the end of Eastern Point, or to the grounds of the Eastern Point Retreat House, or in the other direction to the ocean or wooded areas, and back again?

As soon as her friends reported her missing around 7:00 p.m. an immediate response and search began. Chief Conley said they searched the entire area very thoroughly with helicopters, thermal imaging, aircraft flew patterns over the water, K9s, boats as close to shore as they could go, police on foot searched and questioned neighbors, checked their home cameras, searched their premises and any out buildings, neighbors searched, etc., and this went on for at least a night and several days, and to a lesser degree is still going on now with detectives in ways we probably are unaware of. An unprecedented and thorough search. Except, that at the time, it was very difficult to get boats close to shore. This is what worries me.

Again, for example, much of the 30 acres of land around the Eastern Point Retreat House is quite desolate and dense, and along the shore there are areas where the rocks are quite elevated from the ocean. Rocks that one could actually fall from, as opposed to wading into a pond or wading into the ocean from a beach. One could trip, hit one's head and fall in the ocean. Or, one might have a medical event and pass out, and fall in. Or, I suppose be pushed, but as Chief Conley said the chance of foul play is very, very low and is not suspected. In any case, no matter how familiar you are with the sea, how aware you are of the elements and dangers of nature and of your surroundings, sometimes things can go horribly wrong in an instant no matter how careful you are.

Chief Conley said the seas were 3-5 feet at the time, and therefore it was difficult to get boats close to shore. If the seas were 3-5 feet that would mean the winds were 15-20 kts. High tide was at 5:23 p.m. Sunset at 5:00 p.m., and total darkness by 5:30 p.m. For all these reasons it was understandably difficult for boats to get close to the shore to search. And, by the time the search got underway, especially the water search, it was past 7:00 p.m. Also, with winds 15-20 its it might be difficult for someone to hear a cry for help. Water temperature was 39 degrees which would mean a person could only survive 15-30 minutes in the water. Thermal imaging works well in the dark and on land, but does it work in or through water?

I happened to be driving through Gloucester on my way to Rockport that afternoon at about the same time Abbie went missing. I was struck by how quiet the town seemed. Very few cars and very few people out and about. I attributed it to the fact that everyone had finished their shopping during the day, and were at home cooking and watching the pre-game show before the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, not many people around to see or hear someone in distress.

Again, just some thoughts to ponder.
Welcome to Websleuths, PipingPlover2. Great first post! MOO

Julie Leonardi on Twitter
Hardly visible through the fog and our vantage point - but state police crews are here in #Gloucester doing a sonar scan in Brace Cove as they continue to search for Abbie Flynn, she’s been missing since Feb 2 @boston25
EQgtRYYW4AEepNy.jpg

12:18 PM - 11 Feb 2020

Julie Leonardi on Twitter
Abbie Flynn’s high school friend has created flyers to help find her former classmate - she tells me the response has been overwhelming from locals who have offered to pass them out tomorrow @boston25
EQgz8upWkAA52De.jpg

12:47 PM - 11 Feb 2020 from Gloucester, MA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay