MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Another question...do we know if any of the neighborhood security cameras saw her on a walk? I know they were checking for suspicious cars etc but did any of the cameras or neighbors actually physically see her?

Unless it's bad reporting, articles have said she was last "seen" in the area of Farrington St. This is the road that intersects with the one her house is on so if we can trust that "seen" means physically seen or seen on video, then IMO LE must have some eyewitness or video footage of that.

Chief Ed Conley on Twitter
Unfortunately no new info in the search for Abbie Flynn. K9s were back today going over nearby wooded areas again. I will be on @Joey_C Good Morning Gloucester podcast 8am tomorrow to provide an overview of our efforts. @GloucesterPD @STheken @johnguilfoil @GDTnews
EQDQSt6UYAACHEN.jpg

7:02 PM - 5 Feb 2020

Id also like to know if she actually left the house. How close was she to her son? Has he shed light on any relationships she could’ve been in? Perhaps I’ve missed this info. MOO
She is married and her husband was out-of-state working. In Texas, IIRC.
Who reported her missing? Did her friends show up for her super bowl party and she just wasn’t there?
When her friends arrived for the party Abbie wasn't home. They waited for a bit, then called police. MOO

Is anybody else surprised by the scale of the search? Gloucester has a population of about 30,000. I live nearby in a town with about the same population. Harnessing a crew of 80 LE officers within 24 hours seems like a very significant response. They searched Sunday night and into the early hours Monday morning. They had a helicopter. Gone are the days when LE tells you they can't do anything for 24 hours; maybe that was just on NYPD Blue and Barney Miller. Anyways, I feel like they had a reason to quickly launch such a forceful response, like she said something of concern when on the phone with her son or had a condition that would generate this level of attention.

Is anybody else surprised by the scale of the search? Gloucester has a population of about 30,000. I live nearby in a town with about the same population. Harnessing a crew of 80 LE officers within 24 hours seems like a very significant response. They searched Sunday night and into the early hours Monday morning. They had a helicopter. Gone are the days when LE tells you they can't do anything for 24 hours; maybe that was just on NYPD Blue and Barney Miller. Anyways, I feel like they had a reason to quickly launch such a forceful response, like she said something of concern when on the phone with her son or had a condition that would generate this level of attention.

Yes, that is a significant response.

Disproportionate IMO, to what would normally be seen in Massachusetts. Wondering if there is a reason why.

Gloucester PD is being assisted by the NEMLEC which is a consortium of 65 LE agencies that provide support services to member agencies. NEMLEC (@NEMLEC) | Twitter

The large presence today was due to training that was scheduled prior to Abbie's disappearance.

Update On Missing Gloucester Person Abbie Flynn Day 3
NEMLEC (Northeastern municipal law enforcement council) has some training prescheduled today. They are using this opportunity to go back back over their investigative tracks.

Welcome to Websleuths, @SaltyGirl. :)

Last edited:
FEB 5, 2020
NEMLEC, 20 K9s continue search for missing woman
Members of the North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council and approximately 20 police dogs were out again Wednesday searching for a missing Gloucester woman.

[...]

Since her disappearance, Gloucester police have been working with personnel from North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council (NEMLEC), U.S. Coast Guard Station Gloucester, and State Police in the search and investigation.

"The NEMLEC team had wanted to come up with their K9s again and rehash some of the same areas," Chief Edward Conley III said in regards to Wednesday's search. "It is not uncommon for them to do that."

[...]

Gloucester PD is being assisted by the NEMLEC which is a consortium of 65 LE agencies that provide support services to member agencies. NEMLEC (@NEMLEC) | Twitter

The large presence today was due to training that was scheduled prior to Abbie's disappearance.

Update On Missing Gloucester Person Abbie Flynn Day 3
NEMLEC (Northeastern municipal law enforcement council) has some training prescheduled today. They are using this opportunity to go back back over their investigative tracks.

Welcome to Websleuths, @SaltyGirl. :)
Thanks for that report! Do you think that the training also explains the large LE search Sunday night and Monday?

OMgosh. I had a dream last night that she had a dog but I have read nothing about it. My subconscious may have been confusing it with SC of Hanson, MA.

I was just thinking about a dog too. Abbie being a nature lover possibly would have a dog. Also it would be the reason she took a walk before her party. I was thinking she took her dog for a walk around the block and hurt herself.
IMO about the dog, I know nothing and nothing has been reported.

Thanks for that report! Do you think that the training also explains the large LE search Sunday night and Monday?
No, I don't think they were training then. In fact, without reading back through the articles, I'm not even sure when they joined the search effort, other than it was prior to today. MOO

Last edited:
FEB 4, 2020
Chief: More than 80 officers searched from Dog Bar to Straitsmouth for woman
[...]

The team who searched for the 59-year-old Gloucester resident included more than 80 police personnel, the Gloucester Fire Department and Harbormaster, the Rockport Harbormaster, State Police Helicopter Air Wing, Coast Guard, and the North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council (NEMLEC).

[...]

Conley explained that the search for Flynn began around 7 Sunday evening, an hour after her Super Bowl guests reported the Saint Louis Avenue resident missing. The expanse of the operation only grew from there.

By 9 that night, Gloucester received backup from the State Police Air Wing, whose personnel scanned the shoreline and wooded areas around Eastern Point and Farrington Avenue with thermal imagery cameras.

[...]

The night's search included several canine units scouting until 3 Monday morning and then resumed at 8 a.m.

[...]

"We also canvassed the neighborhood and spoke with every homeowner that we could get in touch with who has exterior cameras and viewed that footage," he said. "We received consent to search all of the homes adjacent to Abbie's home and we did that with help of her neighbors."

[...]

Photojournalist and landscape designer KS wrote on her website that she had spoken with Gloucester police Detective Steven Mizzoni on Monday to report suspicious activity on her walk at Niles Pond around the time Flynn went missing.

[...]

Police have responded to reports of suspicious activity around the area that Flynn went missing and have no reason to believe that they are related to the case.

"We have no indication that there was foul play," Conley emphasized. "Doesn't mean that the probability is zero, it just means that there is absolutely no indication of it."

[...]

This case sounds very reminiscent of another MA Missing Person case, that of Sandra Crispo:
MA - MA - Sandra Crispo, 54, Hanson, 7 August 2019

Welcome aboard, Gulfie! FYI- we can't bring things over from other "sites", just mainstream media- news, LE etc. Things do not need to be verified on most sites so the track often goes down rabbit holes, and victims often get smeared.

However, you bring up a great point. We are led to believe by news accounts that Abbie never made it home from the walk.

But we don't know that.

If she did make it home, and that can be verified, an accident becomes a little less likely.
Sorry. Didn’t know. Just trying to bridge the information sources. Lots of common friends with the family. Kids same age. Some of the same schools. But I’ll keep to what’s been reported. I was questioning IF she may have made it home from the walk, (?) by what was found in the home but see how my question mark wasn’t read as clearly as the rest of my sentence.

Why would she go for a walk without her dog? Food out? Why? Oven on? Doubt it. She had company coming. Who showed up early and took her? MOO

They are good questions. After viewing what is available to the public on her FB profile, her dog is a pug: short legs. If the dog is older (slow moving), and Abbie wanted to get in some quick exercise, this could be a reason she did not take the dog (or camera? That question has not yet been answered, to my knowledge). As far as the oven, I’d say it depends on what she was cooking. If she was cooking something that would take an hour to bake, she may have left, anticipating that she would be back just before the dish is done. Someone in this thread posted a link to her Instagram or Pinterest page; she seems of the Martha Stewart demographic: inspired, ambitious, crafty. My mother has this similar ‘affliction’ of superb hostess. Though, I’m not sure she would host a Super Bowl party if my dad was out of town, along with my siblings. Also, I’d note that sometimes, when a dish is finished baking, we forget to turn the oven off. I pose these questions: was the oven on, or just warm? What was she serving, how long did it/would it take to cook?

Though it was Sunday, I’d like to know if there were work crews around, like the landscapers at the church? They may have seen something. I also wonder if the church has surveillance- it might indicate in which direction she left, or IF she did return.

When I go for a jog, I park nearby, and end up running by her house just before dusk. There is very little foot traffic, and probably less auto traffic.

FEB 6, 2020
Chief Ed Conley Livestream Search Update For Missing Gloucester Resident Abbie Flynn 2/6/20

I haven't been able to listen to all of it yet, but here are a few notes. This information comes directly from the Chief.

A little after 3:00, Abbie talked to her son. Her son is away at college. During that conversation, she mentioned she might go for a walk.

Her friends arrived about 6 p.m. Between 6 and 7 p.m. they became suspicious that something was wrong and contacted police. Based on the conversation with Abbie's son, LE initiated a ground search, mobilizing about 20 K-9's around 8 or 9 p.m. The K-9's belong to NEMLEC.

LE set up a command post and began searching the trails they knew she enjoyed using. State police came in with their helicopter equipped with high-end thermal optics around 9:30 p.m. or so. They did not pick up any heat signature at all. Coast Guard Station Gloucester launched a boat and checked shorelines.

The search was called off about 3:30 a.m. and regrouped about 6 or 7 a.m. the next morning. By 8 a.m., there were about 80 officers there from NEMLEC.
The chief explained the large presence due to the pre-scheduled NEMLEC training yesterday and how they re-searched some areas as part of that training.

There were no signs of a disturbance in Abbie's home. There were cookies on the table and rising pizza dough. No mention of the oven on, but I'm still listening.

Early on, there were reports of a white van. They confirmed one to be a florist, one was a person picking someone up, and they think they've identified a third one but the chief says the probability of abduction is very, very low.

Nobody saw what Abbie wore when she left. Her friends said there was a red jacket that she liked that they didn't see in the home. But, she may also be wearing a navy blue LL Bean puff jacket, LL Bean shoes or boots, blue jeans, and possibly a flannel shirt. This is based on what the kids can't find in the home. The chief will update her clothing description by Twitter today.

Abbie's dog was in the home and is fine.

There were two instances of blood found during Monday's search. In both cases, it was determined to be animal blood.

Her cameras were found in the home.

There is no certainty that she went for a walk (no video or witness).

@SAMS, he said it was not unusual for her to leave her phone at home.

Nothing is missing from the home and she didn't talk to anyone else besides her son that afternoon. They are doing forensics on her phone and laptop computer.

LE identified about 20 external cameras in the area on that first morning and have interviewed every one of those homeowners as well as reviewed their footage. Homeowners have been very cooperative in allowing officers to come in and search their homes.

There are still about 15 minutes left to go and I have to stop here. Hopefully, we'll see a news article soon... MOO

Last edited:
FEB 6, 2020
Chief Ed Conley Livestream Search Update For Missing Gloucester Resident Abbie Flynn 2/6/20

I haven't been able to listen to all of it yet, but here are a few notes. This information comes directly from the Chief.

A little after 3:00, Abbie talked to her son. Her son is away at college. During that conversation, she mentioned she might go for a walk.

Her friends arrived about 6 p.m. Between 6 and 7 p.m. they became suspicious that something was wrong and contacted police. Based on the conversation with Abbie's son, LE initiated a ground search, mobilizing about 20 K-9's around 8 or 9 p.m. The K-9's belong to NEMLEC.

LE set up a command post and began searching the trails they knew she enjoyed using. State police came in with their helicopter equipped with high-end thermal optics around 9:30 p.m. or so. Coast Guard Station Gloucester launched a boat and checked shorelines.

The search was called off about 3:30 a.m. and regrouped about 6 or 7 a.m. the next morning. By 8 a.m., there were about 80 officers there from NEMLEC.
The chief explained the large presence due to the pre-scheduled NEMLEC training yesterday and how they re-searched some areas as part of that training.

There were no signs of a disturbance in Abbie's home. There were cookies on the table and rising pizza dough. No mention of the oven on, but I'm still listening.

Early on, there were reports of a white van. They confirmed one to be a florist, one was a person picking someone up, and they think they've identified a third one but the chief says the probability of abduction is very, very low.

Nobody saw what Abbie wore when she left. Her friends said there was a red jacket that she liked that they didn't see in the home. But, she may also be wearing a navy blue LL Bean puff jacket, LL Bean shoes or boots, blue jeans, and possibly a flannel shirt. This is based on what the kids can't find in the home. The chief will update her clothing description by Twitter today.

There were two instances of blood found during Monday's search. In both cases, it was determined to be animal blood.

There are still 26 minutes left to go and I have to stop here. Hopefully, we'll see a news article soon... MOO

This video was great and very informative...so many questions still after the video but he definitely answered a ton of questions.
One that really stuck out to me was when he confirmed the dogs could only pick up her scent until the end of her driveway. MOO

FEB 6, 2020

LE set up a command post and began searching the trails they knew she enjoyed using. State police came in with their helicopter equipped with high-end thermal optics around 9:30 p.m. or so. They did not pick up any heat signature at all. Coast Guard Station Gloucester launched a boat and checked shorelines.

Her cameras were found in the home.

There is no certainty that she went for a walk (no video or witness).

@SAMS, he said it was not unusual for her to leave her phone at home.

There are still 26 minutes left to go and I have to stop here. Hopefully, we'll see a news article soon... MOO

...the probability of abduction is very, very low.

Amy has vanished from the face of the earth. Based on what we know and the timing, self-harm probability seems very, very low, IMO.

Nothing out of place. No confirmation of her going on a walk. She has not been seen since Feb. 2nd.

I try to not assume the dark side, but it seems to me that the probability of abduction is a real possibility.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back