MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I assume she liked to talk walks often being a nature lover and probably did not always bring the dog. Maybe it was too much of a burden to bring dog or the dog already did its business? Food out is interesting. But was it warm food that was getting cold? or just snacks and appetizers which would be normal for Superbowl party. Oven on is a big no no and I doubt a sensible person would risk and leave oven on in home while going for a walk. Was her son home at the time? Maybe that is why she felt comfortable leaving it on?

I am sure police are probably looking into the husband already, even though he was out of town. He could have still had involvement being out of town. Hired someone if you want to go that route.
Again, just my silly assumptions. We all need more facts obviously on this case.

I can't seem to find any similar missing or murdered cases in that region yet. Anyone else find any suspicious cases nearby ?
We have heard that she had cookies out and dough rising for pizzas that evening. So, no hot food left out and her oven was not on, per the Chief's update this morning.

Her son attends college and does not live in the home. MOO

Hmm the scent ending in the driveway is odd and disturbing. If she went for a walk, you'd think they could track it past that. I know scent dogs aren't infallible, but still they DID pick up her scent, just in the driveway only.

I am wondering if she ever did go for that walk. Perhaps she was on her way out to go for a walk and was intercepted? Or someone pulled up out front or in her driveway and she went out to see what they wanted? Even though she told her son she might go for a walk, she may have gotten busy prepping for the party and decided not to go for one.

This seems very concerning. Obviously, it would still be concerning if something accidental happened while on a walk, but at first glance, it had seemed like that was most likely. Now I am starting to get the feeling of foul play MOO.

Thanks for the link, wickedsurfboard. :)

Noting:

Flynn's description was updated Thursday, as Conley said that based on the family's assessment, Flynn might have been wearing a navy blue LL Bean puffer jacket, LL Bean shoe boots, blue jeans and possibly a flannel shirt as opposed to the red jacket she was reported earlier to have on.

"Things are all the same," Conley said. "We may have a state police dive team come out but we don't have a date for that yet."

VERY concerned if scent stopped at the end of her driveway. Not finding her on infrared heat sensors. Also agree, could be she got in a car...at sixty years old, IMO, would only willingly go with person that is familiar. Sounds more ominous that a fall or something similar.

Hmm the scent ending in the driveway is odd and disturbing. If she went for a walk, you'd think they could track it past that. I know scent dogs aren't infallible, but still they DID pick up her scent, just in the driveway only.

I am wondering if she ever did go for that walk. Perhaps she was on her way out to go for a walk and was intercepted? Or someone pulled up out front or in her driveway and she went out to see what they wanted? Even though she told her son she might go for a walk, she may have gotten busy prepping for the party and decided not to go for one.

This seems very concerning. Obviously, it would still be concerning if something accidental happened while on a walk, but at first glance, it had seemed like that was most likely. Now I am starting to get the feeling of foul play MOO.
VERY concerned if scent stopped at the end of her driveway. Not finding her on infrared heat sensors. Also agree, could be she got in a car...at sixty years old, IMO, would only willingly go with person that is familiar. Sounds more ominous that a fall or something similar.
I am not convinced that the Chief confirmed that her scent ended at the end of the driveway but I haven't had a chance to go back and listen again. The question was posed to clarify a rumor about that and I thought his answer was along the lines of "if that occurred." Like I said though, I need to listen to it again. MOO

Also wondering what her friends know to call LE within an hour of not seeing her. My friends would assume I ran out to the stores for drinks or an ingredient. The larger food store is a little bit away from her house. Could be they had prior worries???

I agree, this worries me a lot. And this is a quiet street in a coastal community during the off-season. I would be less concerned if she were walking down the street in Boston and they couldn't find a scent versus a street that I can't imagine many people walk regularly?

Chief Ed Conley on Twitter
U/D: @GloucesterPD Dets are revising poss. clothing desc Based on family’s assessment Abbie MAY have wore navy blue LL Bean puffer jacket, LL Bean shoe boot,blue jeans and poss. flannel shirt. No one saw her leave so this is speculative. @GDTnews @johnguilfoil @STheken
EQIZeH5X0AEmzQl.jpg

7:00 PM - 6 Feb 2020 from Gloucester, MA

PommyMommy - thanks for an excellent summary of the interview.
I'm still perplexed at the size and speed of the reaction by LE......she was reported missing at 7ish and they had 20 K-9 dogs out by around 8pm and a copter in the air by 9:30pm? Was she married to the police chief? Kudos to Gloucester PD. I think that either they have more information than they're releasing or they were just ready to roll with those on training.
If (speculating) she went in the water at 4-5pm, I wonder if there would still be a heat signal at 9:30 when the copter was up?

I am not convinced that the Chief confirmed that her scent ended at the end of the driveway but I haven't had a chance to go back and listen again. The question was posed to clarify a rumor about that and I thought his answer was along the lines of "if that occurred." Like I said though, I need to listen to it again. MOO
Sorry to quote myself but I wanted to follow up on this "her scent ended at the end of the driveway" discussion. I went back and listened to the Chief's update again.

At the -4.31 mark, this question appears on the bottom right of the screen:

Rumor has it that dogs could only track her scent to the end of the driveway. It might just be a rumor but wouldn't that simply mean she got in a car?

Here's that shot from the video:

Screenshot (231).png

However, this is how the question was posed and answered:

Mr. Ciaramintaro (host) - This person says, and you can dispel this rumor or not, a rumor that a dog can only pick up a scent to the end of a driveway so is it possible that she could have gotten into a car and gone someplace?

Chief Ed Conley - Yeah, that's a very, it's you know, I thought very probable, because again that implies there's another person involved in this and that person knows people in this conversation and I mean, there's no evidence of that. She didn't mention it. I throw that into the probability that that is a zero but what do you do with that? You know, just on let's just say that's a possibility. Where do we go with that? That she got in a car and drove off - there's really nowhere else to go with that.

It is just not clear to me that the Chief confirmed that "dogs could only track her scent to the end of the driveway." That isn't even the question he was asked. Can someone else please listen to this part of the video again? Or is there somewhere else that this was reported? Confused. :oops: MOO

The video is here:
MA - MA- Abbie Flynn, 60, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

PommyMommy - thanks for an excellent summary of the interview.
I'm still perplexed at the size and speed of the reaction by LE......she was reported missing at 7ish and they had 20 K-9 dogs out by around 8pm and a copter in the air by 9:30pm? Was she married to the police chief? Kudos to Gloucester PD. I think that either they have more information than they're releasing or they were just ready to roll with those on training.
If (speculating) she went in the water at 4-5pm, I wonder if there would still be a heat signal at 9:30 when the copter was up?
You're welcome. Have you listened to the video posted this morning? Because I don't think you're the only one surprised at the large turnout. The Chief characterized it as "an incredible response." Especially since it was Super Bowl Sunday. But, he also mentions all of the agencies involved - Gloucester PD, State Police, NEMLEC, etc. So, I can sort of understand the sizable response when there are that many different agencies coming together at once.

I can't answer your question about a heat signal. No idea. :oops: MOO

Sorry to quote myself but I wanted to follow up on this "her scent ended at the end of the driveway" discussion. I went back and listened to the Chief's update again.

At the -4.31 mark, this question appears on the bottom right of the screen:

Rumor has it that dogs could only track her scent to the end of the driveway. It might just be a rumor but wouldn't that simply mean she got in a car?

Here's that shot from the video:

View attachment 230474

However, this is how the question was posed and answered:

Mr. Ciaramintaro (host) - This person says, and you can dispel this rumor or not, a rumor that a dog can only pick up a scent to the end of a driveway so is it possible that she could have gotten into a car and gone someplace?

Chief Ed Conley - Yeah, that's a very, it's you know, I thought very probable, because again that implies there's another person involved in this and that person knows people in this conversation and I mean, there's no evidence of that. She didn't mention it. I throw that into the probability that that is a zero but what do you do with that? You know, just on let's just say that's a possibility. Where do we go with that? That she got in a car and drove off - there's really nowhere else to go with that.

It is just not clear to me that the Chief confirmed that "dogs could only track her scent to the end of the driveway." That isn't even the question he was asked. Can someone else please listen to this part of the video again? Or is there somewhere else that this was reported? Confused. :oops: MOO

The video is here:
MA - MA- Abbie Flynn, 60, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020
Okay, I listened and at the end of the video he is asked if it is possible that she got into a car since the dogs only picked up her scent to the end of the driveway. He doesn’t directly answer yes or no but implies that it is true by saying that it is not probable that she could have gotten into a car and then adds “ but what do you do with that?” He also refuses to comment about her door being locked or unlocked.MOO

I also noticed in the video that they have CCTV of a woman walking but didn’t think it was her....I wonder if anyone has come forward to say it was them walking to clarify. Maybe it was her? And I’m not sure if anyone stated this earlier but the oven was off. Hope they find something on her cell. MOO

Okay, I listened and at the end of the video he is asked if it is possible that she got into a car since the dogs only picked up get scent to the end if the driveway. He doesn’t directly answer yes or no but implies that it is true by saying that it is not probable that she could have gotten into a car and then adds “ but what do you do with that?” He also refuses to comment about her door being locked or unlocked.MOO
Thanks for listening again, SAMS. BBM - That's my problem; the Chief wasn't asked about the dogs used during this search or what, if anything, happened at the end of Abbie's driveway - he was asked about a dog in general. This is what he was asked:

This person says, and you can dispel this rumor or not, a rumor that a dog can only pick up a scent to the end of a driveway so is it possible that she could have gotten into a car and gone someplace?

It's okay, though! I don't want to be a PITA or derail the thread over it. :p I really like this reporter and I'm hoping that he'll do another interview so I have the opportunity to get clarification. MOO

Thanks for listening again, SAMS. BBM - That's my problem; the Chief wasn't asked about the dogs used during this search or what, if anything, happened at the end of Abbie's driveway - he was asked about a dog in general. This is what he was asked:

This person says, and you can dispel this rumor or not, a rumor that a dog can only pick up a scent to the end of a driveway so is it possible that she could have gotten into a car and gone someplace?

It's okay, though! I don't want to be a PITA or derail the thread over it. :p I really like this reporter and I'm hoping that he'll do another interview so I have the opportunity to get clarification. MOO
Well look at me messing it all up! lol! I believe at the beginning he asked chief about dogs specifically and the question was never answered. I guess I’ll listen again! MOO

Well look at me messing it all up! lol! I believe at the beginning he asked chief about dogs specifically and the question was never answered. I guess I’ll listen again! MOO

I interpreted the answer the way you did but I see Pommy’s point. I think I’m just used to if a reporter states an untrue fact to LE, LE is usually quick to shoot it down. As in, “Wait back up, we never said dogs didn’t find her scent.” “We aren’t going to comment on what the dogs picked up.” Most LE don’t seem to go along with reporter hypotheticals. This chief however could just be less careful of what he says to the press- I don’t want to say “less press savvy” because I really mean in a town like this they may just have a GOOD relationship with local media and they aren’t afraid of the media twisting their words like in many big city situations. I don’t know!

Poor Abbie, she looks like such a sweet lady. Has her family started a missing person's page on FB? I looked but haven't found anything.

I am not sure what to make of this case. It seems she had every intention of hosting a party with friends s,o I don't feel self-harm is at play. It seems more likely an accident occurred on her walk, something unintentional. Sadly, it's probably not going to be a good outcome with the freezing temps if a nonwater accident happened, a person could not survive very long in that weather.

Thank you for the link, iulia. This clears up the method of communication with her son which was apparently via Facetime. There is no photo of her on NamUs yet, but bringing the rest of the information here:

Mary Abbie Flynn
NamUs #MP65063
[NO PHOTO]

Caucasian
Date of Last Contact February 2, 2020
NamUs Case Created February 6, 2020
Missing Age 59 Years
Current Age 59 Years
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Shoulder length
Body Hair Description Unknown
Facial Hair Description None
Eye Color Brown

Last Known Location
Location Gloucester, Massachusetts 01930
County Essex County

Circumstances of Disappearance Mrs. Flynn (known as "Abbie") was last seen on FaceTime with her son at approximately 1440 hours on 2/2/2020. She indicated at that time that she was going for a walk in her neighborhood. When friends arrived at her residence for a party around 1630 hours, she was not there. Numerous searches via land and sea have not yielded any results.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TAA
Back