MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PommyMommy - thanks for an excellent summary of the interview.
I'm still perplexed at the size and speed of the reaction by LE......she was reported missing at 7ish and they had 20 K-9 dogs out by around 8pm and a copter in the air by 9:30pm? Was she married to the police chief? Kudos to Gloucester PD. I think that either they have more information than they're releasing or they were just ready to roll with those on training.
If (speculating) she went in the water at 4-5pm, I wonder if there would still be a heat signal at 9:30 when the copter was up?
On the heat signal question, the Chief seemed to say that yes it would be possible for the copter technology (which seems to be state of the art - earlier version of the technology was said to be used to find the Boston bomber hiding under a row boat) at that time to see something and they did not see anything.

He went on to say that the weather conditions were challenging but that Coast Guard and others were able to search the water areas in the search area. What was unclear though was how close in these vessels could come to the shoreline. The Chief mentioned the possibility of putting dive teams into the water as a next step and said that weather and sea conditions will make this challenging but that it would happen next.

Here is video link to some info on the earlier technology in the Boston Bomber case:

Thermal video and photos of Boston bombing suspect, hiding in boat

6:45 PM UPDATE: Outdoor enthusiast goes missing

Conley and his team have set up searchers along the seashore and the local trail systems as they further investigate.

"We know, because she was an avid outdoors enthusiast, that we are searching both areas around the water and our wooded areas as well," Conley said.

As he scouted out the coast of East Gloucester, Officer Timothy O'Leary confirmed that for the time being, "nothing yet."

If anyone has any information about Abbie Flynn's whereabouts, police are requesting that they contact the Gloucester Police Department at 978-283-1212.

When asked by host Joey Ciaramitaro if Flynn's disappearance correlated "to the missing Rockport woman from a couple years ago," Conley responded: "The missing Rockport woman is no longer missing. I don't know if that was reported. The remains were found on Chatham Beach. I can't comment into the specifics of that case because I really don't know, but some of her remains were found and the genetic DNA testing confirmed that that was her.

Police: Missing Rockport woman presumed dead  

I fail to understand why LE doesn’t always release information on the recovery of missing persons. They essentially leave the cases open in the public’s mind.

Last edited:
When asked by host Joey Ciaramitaro if Flynn's disappearance correlated "to the missing Rockport woman from a couple years ago," Conley responded: "The missing Rockport woman is no longer missing. I don't know if that was reported. The remains were found on Chatham Beach. I can't comment into the specifics of that case because I really don't know, but some of her remains were found and the genetic DNA testing confirmed that that was her.

Police: Missing Rockport woman presumed dead

I fail to understand why LE doesn’t always release information on the recovery of missing persons. They essentially leave the cases open in the public’s mind.
Agreed! Apologies if this has been covered, but did they ever release how/why/who was responisble for Susan Nilsson?

I have not seen any public statements from Abbie's family in regards to her disappearance.
They could release a simple statement thanking those who have searched for her and are praying for her safe return. I realize the family is going through a traumatic time but a simple statement from the family might raise more awareness to Abbie's disappearance. Come home Abbie.

I have not seen any public statements from Abbie's family in regards to her disappearance.
They could release a simple statement thanking those who have searched for her and are praying for her safe return. I realize the family is going through a traumatic time but a simple statement from the family might raise more awareness to Abbie's disappearance. Come home Abbie.
I was looking for something from the family earlier today and was also surprised to find nothing. Even on Facebook. I found some friends sharing, but not family.

Agree that it seems odd nothing from family, no public requests/media appearances to keep looking or give tips, no missing posters. Sadly it makes me think LE and family know what happened to her.

The large scale searches have been suspended, and LE says there’s no danger to the public. Those two items lead me to believe police suspect either suicide or foul play. I really hope Abbie turns up, though. She seems like a wonderful person.
Agree. that LE and family know or have pretty good idea what happened to her. But if foul play you'd think they'd still be looking for public's help, unless they have already have a suspect in mind.

I wonder how far she would typically walk? If it's say 2+ miles and they don't know which direction she headed, that's a lot of area to cover in a search. And if she's the adventurer/hiker/curious explorer type as was seemingly described, she could be just 20 feet off the beaten path and be very hard to find.

Agree. that LE and family know or have pretty good idea what happened to her. But if foul play you'd think they'd still be looking for public's help, unless they have already have a suspect in mind.

My guess is that large scale searches are suspended because LE is going through info (tips, maybe GPS, maybe electronics) that is leading the investigation in a certain direction. Like if LE suspects that Abbie is deceased, this time can be better spent narrowing down where she might be. I’m sad.

My guess is that large scale searches are suspended because LE is going through info (tips, maybe GPS, maybe electronics) that is leading the investigation in a certain direction. Like if LE suspects that Abbie is deceased, this time can be better spent narrowing down where she might be. I’m sad.
Yes Police Chief said it's now an "investigation" and they were going through her phone, computer etc. :-( And re-reading his tweet, I see he said "there was no indication of a crime"

Last edited:
I wonder how far she would typically walk? If it's say 2+ miles and they don't know which direction she headed, that's a lot of area to cover in a search. And if she's the adventurer/hiker/curious explorer type as was seemingly described, she could be just 20 feet off the beaten path and be very hard to find.
True Spider92 but it seems it was a VERY extensive land and water search including helicopters, drones, planes and boats, over 3 days, with local and State Police, Coast Guard, and North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council. Considering she was expecting guests for Super Bowl, one would think she wouldn't plan too long of a walk. We will probably never know.

The large scale searches have been suspended, and LE says there’s no danger to the public. Those two items lead me to believe police suspect either suicide or foul play. I really hope Abbie turns up, though. She seems like a wonderful person.

what about accidental or natural causes? one of those seems more likely to me and there's no danger to the public with those

SBM.

I agree, I realize sometimes in cases of self harm the family wants and deserves privacy but I wish there was some way to give that while letting the public know there has been a resolution. I will probably express this poorly, but I feel that sometimes when suicide is involved the authorities are reluctant to mention it, perhaps out of fear publicizing it will push other people who are struggling with suicidal ideation over the edge.

An article I read said there was no foul play suspected in her death.

I find it all too strange. Susan Nillson was meeting someone, and turns up dead. Two years later, Theresa Coen goes for a walk and doesn't come home. Two more years and Abbie Flynn goes out for a walk and never comes home. All of these women around the same age. Hopefully there is not a connection, but I can't find out any details about the previous two women. Susan Nillson was the only body found. Did they do an autopsy? What were the pieces of evidence found? From friends - Theresa's family did not accept a suicide and hired their own PI. I'm so sorry for all of these families. I love Gloucester and Rockport and want to be sure my mom and aunt who live alone and go for walks, are safe!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RMN0406
Back