MA - Alleged Serial Rapist, Attorney Matthew Nilo, 35, Arrested Due To Genetic Genealogy, 2023 June 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I find his age at the time of the rapes to be interesting. He’s 35 now and had to have been between 18-19 yrs old. I wonder if the victims also described him at the time as very young. He looks young now, must have looked like a kid.

He’s moved around a lot, so hopefully other agencies can look at their cold cases. No way does someone do 4 rapes in such a small window of time and just stop.

(Responding to an older post that caught my eye.)

There's a podcast (DNA:ID) that exclusively covers murder cases that have been solved with forensic genealogy. For obvious reasons (meaning: the genetic material left behind), they also frequently involve rape.

After listening to the first twenty or so episodes, I realized that there was a very interesting pattern*. A majority of the offenders had raped and murdered one woman when they (the offender) were quite young, around 19-25. They often went on to lead 'normal' lives and get married and have kids and whatnot. Then they get arrested much later in life for that murder they committed at 19 or 22 or whatever.

Later episodes of the podcast have revealed more 'typical' patterns ... the kind of rapist and/or murderer who never stops or can't stop. But those 'one and dones' were particularly scary to me, because it reinforces the idea that you never know anyone. Also the idea that they just needed to 'get it out of their system', and murder one woman before carrying on with their lives.

Anyway, this is obviously not the case with this guy since he continued to rape women. My post is just about the young age at which he (apparently) started.

(*I am not the first person to make this connection, btw, and I'm sure much smarter people have analyzed it.)

One of his alleged victims, who wore a black hoodie and had her blond hair in a pony tail, sat fidgeting in the second row gasped audibly.

'This is bulls**t!' she told DailyMail.com. 'He literally hid from cops for 16 years. How is he not a flight risk?

'Anybody who can come up with $500,000 so easily is a flight risk. And this is such a heinous crime.'

Nilo, 35, who's been locked up in a Boston jail, is expected to be released later today. He'll leave with a GPS ankle monitor, surrender his passport and has been ordered to have no contact with victims and witnesses.

She's not wrong!

He will be released on bail following a hearing this morning:

In court Monday, Nilo's defense withdrew a petition and agreed to previous conditions including bail of $500,000 and requirements that Nilo wear a GPS tracker, surrender his passport, have no contact with the victims and stay 1,000 feet away from Terminal Street in Charlestown unless accompanied by his attorney.

DNA on drinking glass used to link serial rape suspect to attacks, DA says
I found this interesting (bolder below) from your linked area:

“NewsCenter 5 legal analyst Vince DeMore says the critical link likely came from a well-known genealogy site.

"The family member may have no idea who Matthew Nilo is," DeMore said. "This could be a third cousin twice removed. Doesn't need to be mother, father, brother sister."

"It's very likely when the person submitted DNA to find genealogical profile, they had no idea they were helping crack a series of sexual assaults in the Boston area," DeMore said. “

“NewsCenter 5 legal analyst Vince DeMore says the critical link likely came from a well-known genealogy site.

"The family member may have no idea who Matthew Nilo is," DeMore said. "This could be a third cousin twice removed. Doesn't need to be mother, father, brother sister."

"It's very likely when the person submitted DNA to find genealogical profile, they had no idea they were helping crack a series of sexual assaults in the Boston area," DeMore said. “

Yes, it is very common for this to be the case when genetic genealogists are building out family trees to find possible suspects. In the Golden State Killer case, the DNA evidence from the crimes was found to be linked to a person who ended up being, I believe, a 4th cousin of the perpetrator. A 4th cousin is someone who shares a set of great-great-great-grandparents with you.

The "well-known genealogy site" the legal analyst is referencing in the article is probably GEDMatch, where participants can choose to opt in to this type of possible comparison from law enforcement.

Yes, it is very common for this to be the case when genetic genealogists are building out family trees to find possible suspects. In the Golden State Killer case, the DNA evidence from the crimes was found to be linked to a person who ended up being, I believe, a 4th cousin of the perpetrator. A 4th cousin is someone who shares a set of great-great-great-grandparents with you.

The "well-known genealogy site" the legal analyst is referencing in the article is probably GEDMatch, where participants can choose to opt in to this type of possible comparison from law enforcement.
I have my DNA uploaded to GEDMatch, and I have opted in. My view is that if someone did a major violent crime, then they deserve to be caught, even if they are related to me.

(Responding to an older post that caught my eye.)

There's a podcast (DNA:ID) that exclusively covers murder cases that have been solved with forensic genealogy. For obvious reasons (meaning: the genetic material left behind), they also frequently involve rape.

After listening to the first twenty or so episodes, I realized that there was a very interesting pattern*. A majority of the offenders had raped and murdered one woman when they (the offender) were quite young, around 19-25. They often went on to lead 'normal' lives and get married and have kids and whatnot. Then they get arrested much later in life for that murder they committed at 19 or 22 or whatever.

Later episodes of the podcast have revealed more 'typical' patterns ... the kind of rapist and/or murderer who never stops or can't stop. But those 'one and dones' were particularly scary to me, because it reinforces the idea that you never know anyone. Also the idea that they just needed to 'get it out of their system', and murder one woman before carrying on with their lives.

Anyway, this is obviously not the case with this guy since he continued to rape women. My post is just about the young age at which he (apparently) started.

(*I am not the first person to make this connection, btw, and I'm sure much smarter people have analyzed it.)

The "one and dones" have definitely been studied less, because until the advent of this type of testing most of them were under the radar, as you pointed out.

This is my own speculation, but I believe there has been a longtime prevailing idea (based on the rapists and murderers who used to get caught) that these individuals always escalate -- that the usual sequence is from peeping/lewd behavior/rape/murder -- and they get "out of control" as their urges escalate and they seek greater thrills to satisfy them. This is definitely true for some offenders, but I believe as more of the "one and dones" get caught we will see that most of them are far from out of control -- they are very much in control and can make rational decisions based on risk. They don't stop because they get it out of their system. They stop because they have an "oh ----" moment. (Could be a failed encounter where a victim got away, could be a growing awareness of what DNA technology can do.)

If Nilo's attacks truly stopped in 2008 (I have my doubts...though he may have moved to a different method of victimizing women), then we may find out that something changed in his life around that time that made him calculate his risk completely differently.

The "one and dones" have definitely been studied less, because until the advent of this type of testing most of them were under the radar, as you pointed out.

This is my own speculation, but I believe there has been a longtime prevailing idea (based on the rapists and murderers who used to get caught) that these individuals always escalate -- that the usual sequence is from peeping/lewd behavior/rape/murder -- and they get "out of control" as their urges escalate and they seek greater thrills to satisfy them. This is definitely true for some offenders, but I believe as more of the "one and dones" get caught we will see that most of them are far from out of control -- they are very much in control and can make rational decisions based on risk. They don't stop because they get it out of their system. They stop because they have an "oh ----" moment. (Could be a failed encounter where a victim got away, could be a growing awareness of what DNA technology can do.)

If Nilo's attacks truly stopped in 2008 (I have my doubts...though he may have moved to a different method of victimizing women), then we may find out that something changed in his life around that time that made him calculate his risk completely differently.
Very interesting thoughts.

A victim speaks out:

"(Victim) says life has not been easy since the night in August 2007 when a stranger pulled up and asked her if she needed a ride.

"I was, like, 'No, I'm OK.' And that's when I saw he had a gun in his hand, and he just said, 'Get in the car,'" Pinkham said in an exclusive interview with ABC.

(Victim) sat down with her mother for an exclusive interview with ABC News and described how the attacker then took all of her belongings, including her passport and social security card, and took off, leaving her there."

More here:

He's officially out and walking free today (Thursday): Boston serial rape suspect, a North End native, released on bail

From the article:
"Matthew Nilo, 35, walked out of the courthouse in Boston beside his fiance. He wore a blue shirt and sunglasses and carried a backpack as they walked to Government Center Station."

There's a video at the link.

This is wrong as it's been proven beyond a doubt scientifically that this Man did in fact do these crimes. I may add not one but four Women his DNA matched to. These Women suffered the shame and pain for over a decade while he acts as if he is some caught off guard innocent Lamb. What are your thoughts?

His Fiance is in total denial. Its understandble

What are your thoughts?

I wouldn't expect him to admit anything. He has great financial means and he's going to fight for his freedom. If guilty as alleged, he might even think he didn't do anything wrong.
It could be his entire inner world is all about him and he gives no complex thought to what others may be feeling or experiencing-- everyone is his pawn.
My layperson opinions only.

Nilo’s LinkedIn page identifies him as claims counsel in New York for Cowbell, a San Francisco-based cyber insurance firm where he started work in January 2023. A Cowbell spokesperson told Insurance Journal that Nilo was hired in January after passing a background check. The firm said his employment at Cowbell “has been suspended pending further investigation.”

Prior to Cowbell, he worked at Atheria Law in New York from 2019 to 2022 and Clyde & Co. law firm in San Francisco from 2014 to 2019, according to his LinkedIn profile. Insurance Journal has reached out to these firms to confirm Nilo’s employment but has not yet heard back.

According to police, Nilo is originally from the Boston area, but has also lived in Wisconsin, California and New York. Officials asked any others who believe they may have been a victim of a sexual assault associated with this case or have any information that could be helpful to the investigation to contact either the Boston Police Department or the FBI.

He's officially out and walking free today (Thursday): Boston serial rape suspect, a North End native, released on bail

From the article:
"Matthew Nilo, 35, walked out of the courthouse in Boston beside his fiance. He wore a blue shirt and sunglasses and carried a backpack as they walked to Government Center Station."

There's a video at the link.
And how do we think the victims feel right about now? This guy is out there.
I'd like to know the conditions of his bail.

So the poor junkie who sells a bit of drugs is stuck in jail before trial and can't possibly make bail, but poor little rich lawyer who allegedly committed kidnap and aggravated sexual assault is released. It's clearly a system that favors the rich and privileged.

How does the victim, who was interviewed after his arrest, feel now? She clearly didn't think he'd be released. In the video in the Daily Mail article she is still standing strong, but I'm sure it was a slap in the face.

And how do we think the victims feel right about now? This guy is out there.
I'd like to know the conditions of his bail.

So the poor junkie who sells a bit of drugs is stuck in jail before trial and can't possibly make bail, but poor little rich lawyer who allegedly committed kidnap and aggravated sexual assault is released. It's clearly a system that favors the rich and privileged.

How does the victim, who was interviewed after his arrest, feel now? She clearly didn't think he'd be released. In the video in the Daily Mail article she is still standing strong, but I'm sure it was a slap in the face.

His conditions of the $500,000 bail are: that Nilo wear a GPS tracker, surrender his passport, have no contact with the victims and stay 1,000 feet away from Terminal Street in Charlestown unless accompanied by his attorney.

The same article I linked above has a quote from one of the victims after finding out he would be out on bail:

"I'm sickened and afraid for myself and the other victims and anyone that could be hurt," (Victim) told ABC’s Erielle Reshef. "I'm in disbelief that he is back on the streets and also fear he will try and retaliate against me."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee
Back