MA MA - Caleigh Harrison, 2, Rockport, 19 April 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if mom fell asleep (a rumor that makes sense). Perhaps she was lying on a blanket and the girls were building sand castles right next to her. She wakes and can't see Caleigh and so she climbs the wall to get a better view (where the chasing the ball story comes from and would explain her footprints). Maybe she would rather admit to losing sight of the girls vs. falling asleep for an unknown amount of time. I think it's possible depending upon the condition of the sand that LE was able to trace the girls activity. Even if the scene was trampled by first responders searching for the girls there may have still been tiny footprints to follow. This could account for LE focusing on drowning vs. abduction. If the mother was not honest and did fall asleep then perhaps the abduction theory is more likely. According to locals (so rumor vs. fact) neighbors did see her leave the house for the beach with both girls. For me the falling asleep story just makes more sense. When you grow up and live by water you typically have more respect for it's dangers. I can think of only one reason for taking my eyes off my child at the beach and that would be to save my other child if she were drowning. I have lost
countless items to the wind and waves bc chasing after them would have meant taking my attention off the kids. IMO, this story doesn't add up and I think perhaps the mother was negligent (i.e. falling asleep etc...) and that more time lapsed then what she has admitted. Perhaps she has confided in her family and that is why they are pushing the abduction scenario.
IMO

OK, I am back from a little hiatus that kept me away for a few days.

This is just a very quick two cents on some of the theories of the past few days from someone who lives nearby.

It would make almost zero sense for mom to be lying on a blanket on the day in question. It was quite cold and windy, and the sand would be really cold even emanating through a blanket.

Mom has stated in at least one of the articles somewhere (I'm sure it's linked here somewhere) that their activities included the girls "going in the water, running around, playing ball" etc. The going in the water part makes NO sense. NONE. The water around here hurts even in mid-August. The water now/then was/is so cold that allowing your kids to go in the water on a day like that during that time of years is seriously worthy of a call to social services to report unfit parenting. No joke. It's that bad. Even taking off ones shoes and walking in the wet sand barefoot (because it sure as heck was not a sandals or water shoes kind of day) would be extremely unpleasant. It is this statement in particular by the mom that makes me believe that she is not being truthful about SOMETHING -- even if that "something" is just how long she was out of sight or how far away from the girls she ventured and not "something" more sinister.

The backhoe also doesn't bother me. I don't know if it's like this on all beaches, but around here you can't dig more than about a foot before the hole starts to self-fill with ground water from the surrounding sand. Seeing that they'd be digging in an area in which the hole would fill with water cold enough to require a diver's dry suit to be IN the hole with a shovel digging manually, a backhoe makes sense. Also, seeing that they are battling time and tides, the fastest, most efficient means of digging makes sense, too.

As was (finally) made public with the Nancy Grace interviews....there were other people on the beach that saw Allison and children. It is my understanding that what Allison said re walking beach, in water etc was verified by witness(es).

Am not at all knowledgeable as to what affects, or how quickly it affects, the temperature of ocean waters. Sun alone? Current direction? Don't know. Do know that there were photos showing the children in the water in the week prior to the week Caleigh went missing (think one is on FB page). But that was a week of warm weather days unlike the week of April 19.

I had assumed that the opinion held, both on & off line, by locals would be one of amazement that the children were in that location whether Allison was right next to them or not. I assumed wrong. Was amazed by the number of parents with young children whom said that water/tide conditions weren't taken into consideration when taking their child(ren) to various beach locations. And even more amazed by those that said the mistake Allison made was not one they would make re leaving children unattended. Had to wonder if they understood the definition of mistake.

Members of the older generation have been far more wary, hence respectful, of the ocean and the Saratoga Creek area. Though in recent visits to that exact location, Allison & the girls had been accompanied by her father. So who knows......

A few weeks ago, in CT, there was the horrific death of a 6yo involving a wood chipper. The father was present, turned his back for seconds, and the child was gone. It was an avoidable tragedy. And it was puzzling as to why a parent, especially one knowledgeable of the workings of the equipment, would allow a child within any distance of a chipper. But across the public board of opinion there were no questioning murmurs about the father's intent. It was a family business, and this father was known to bring his 3 children along on jobs. It had become such an acceptable, comfortable, family activity that the guard against danger was forgotten. The child's death was a tragic accident.

Do admit that at first glance, and second, third etc etc....Allison's behavior that day seemed suspect to me. Now I wonder why I was so quick to have expectations of a mother that I did not have of a father. There was a moment in the Nancy Grace interview that put the cap on my speculation. It was when Nancy asked Allison about length of time Caleigh was out of sight. To me, Allison seemed to come out of a daze...she looked/ responded with a sense of disbelief ...almost like she was asking herself if it were true that moments could be so life altering.

Oh well...just my thoughts....not worth much and surely won't do what we all want done....bring the baby home safe and sound.

I had assumed that the opinion held, both on & off line, by locals would be one of amazement that the children were in that location whether Allison was right next to them or not. I assumed wrong. Was amazed by the number of parents with young children whom said that water/tide conditions weren't taken into consideration when taking their child(ren) to various beach locations.

I was one of the people on here who said I take my kids to the beach in January, even. (I do!) My kids are the same age as hers.

Taking the kids to the beach does not have to entail going in the water. we walk in the sand, collect rocks, look at the birds, use the playground there. I think any good parent would be shocked at someone going into the north Atlantic waters in April.

If I recall (Can't remember and am too lazy to look), the weather here was maybe about 50 degrees. Wet + windy + 50 degrees + no sun = hypothermia. That's not even touching the issue of whether leaving two little ones on a beach is acceptable. Being at the beach is acceptable. Letting the kids in the water is totally UNacceptable. Once I saw she was allowing them in the water based on temperature ALONE and not even factoring in the horrible waves and rough seas that day, she lost me. At this point I have ZERO problem imagining that if she is already that negligent, that the likelihood of her leaving the kids there for far longer than she admits (and probably for a stupid reason, too) is pretty high.

...and all this is coming from a mom of kids right near their location who has no problem taking little ones to the beach 12 months a year.

I was one of the people on here who said I take my kids to the beach in January, even. (I do!) My kids are the same age as hers.

Taking the kids to the beach does not have to entail going in the water. we walk in the sand, collect rocks, look at the birds, use the playground there. I think any good parent would be shocked at someone going into the north Atlantic waters in April.

If I recall (Can't remember and am too lazy to look), the weather here was maybe about 50 degrees. Wet + windy + 50 degrees + no sun = hypothermia. That's not even touching the issue of whether leaving two little ones on a beach is acceptable. Being at the beach is acceptable. Letting the kids in the water is totally UNacceptable. Once I saw she was allowing them in the water based on temperature ALONE and not even factoring in the horrible waves and rough seas that day, she lost me. At this point I have ZERO problem imagining that if she is already that negligent, that the likelihood of her leaving the kids there for far longer than she admits (and probably for a stupid reason, too) is pretty high.

...and all this is coming from a mom of kids right near their location who has no problem taking little ones to the beach 12 months a year.

Great post, boston_baby. Lends further understanding of an acceptance/understanding of the ocean. As with most things there are opposite ends of the spectrum. I, having seen the destruction of hurricanes in 1955, have a deep fear of the ocean...and rivers, lakes....anything that could flood or sweep away, am at one end It seems like Allison is at the other end. And you make sense of the spectrum with your in-the-middle understanding. Thank you for your input.

Just wanted to let you know that I live in Louisville, KY right now and they just had a story on our local news about Callie. There wasn't anything new, but it's the first time other than Nancy Grace that I'd seen anything about it, and to have it on a local station was rather surprising.

If I recall (Can't remember and am too lazy to look), the weather here was maybe about 50 degrees. Wet + windy + 50 degrees + no sun = hypothermia.

The weather that day was at least 70 degrees. And although I wouldn't have let my son go even knee deep in the water that time of year at that temperature, I would have let him take off his shoes and socks and walk along the edge when he was that age.

Jmho. :)

I never considered myself an overprotective parent, but when we had a cottage on a lake, we made the kids automatically wear life jackets from the time they woke up until dark. It was just the way it was like wearing a bathing suit. From a few other posts, it doesn't seem that this was the norm in that area and I find that odd as I don't trust kids, other adults or myself to be 100% vigilant. Mind you in all those summers there was only one near mishap when a neighbors dock started floating away from high winds with 6 kids included my 3 year old on it and although nobody fell in while a boat had to go out to rescue them; we were all thankful they had life jackets on. I just find it odd, maybe I am just old fashion.

Dan Abrams and Nancy Grace discuss the toddler who disappeared at a beach.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/missing-toddler-caleigh-harrison-sister-recalls-stranger-16293919

Nancy is on a roll....

I love Nancy for all she does for missing kids, but sometimes she takes things too far. There's no evidence of foul play here. People saw Caleigh on the beach that day.

I don't know what happened and I don't want to speculate, but I just don't believe that Allison (or anyone in the family) did anything to that precious baby.

I believe that whatever happened (and we may never know, sadly) was a tragic accident.

I love Nancy for all she does for missing kids, but sometimes she takes things too far. There's no evidence of foul play here. People saw Caleigh on the beach that day.

I don't know what happened and I don't want to speculate, but I just don't believe that Allison (or anyone in the family) did anything to that precious baby.

I believe that whatever happened (and we may never know, sadly) was a tragic accident.

Just for *advertiser censored* and grins
Law Enforcement should grab the town bookies
and dope dealers
- shake them down -
see if there are any outstanding debts...
hate putting that shadow over any family member
but it seems like the hand is hiding the glove
and I can't put my finger on it.

Just for *advertiser censored* and grins
Law Enforcement should grab the town bookies
and dope dealers
- shake them down -
see if there are any outstanding debts...
hate putting that shadow over any family member
but it seems like the hand is hiding the glove
and I can't put my finger on it.

Don't think drugs are involved but I'm hard put to argue. Considering the darkness of the matter...that is one impressive poetic post.

Don't think drugs are involved but I'm hard put to argue. Considering the darkness of the matter...that is one impressive poetic post.

Thanks.

I've been running with the theories in my head for a week or so...
drugs and alcohol - gambling, etc.
Gloucester is demographically challenged in some areas
and they happen to be the same areas
that can lead to divorce or separation...
which i believe is a factor here as well.
I am a fan of the common denominators.

The weather that day was at least 70 degrees. And although I wouldn't have let my son go even knee deep in the water that time of year at that temperature, I would have let him take off his shoes and socks and walk along the edge when he was that age.

Jmho. :)

Not if this is accurate. It says the high in Beverly (nearby, and Cape Ann is always a 5-10 degrees cooler) was 61 and the mean 53.

http://www.wunderground.com/history...ster&req_state=MA&req_statename=Massachusetts

I actually distinctly remember the day as the temps had plummeted from previously warm days.

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x1720503484/Marblehead-tugboat-captains-body-found-off-Montauk-NY

So the distance is 35 nautical miles between the two ports. Interesting to know that he could have travelled in the water quite a distance.

Please don't make me have to venture back into Google waters......swear my fear of water causes brain freeze. :please:

How does a nautical mile differ from a land mile? And what does 35nm= in lm? Had read that story also and wondered about flow etc.

There was another story about sewer discs (some kind of little plastic dis used to analyze something?) that was given as an example of current flow in the area. It was part of the reason for LE moving south of Long Beach during end of search. Will try to find and post link.

Please don't make me have to venture back into Google waters......swear my fear of water causes brain freeze. :please:

How does a nautical mile differ from a land mile? And what does 35nm= in lm? Had read that story also and wondered about flow etc.

There was another story about sewer discs (some kind of little plastic dis used to analyze something?) that was given as an example of current flow in the area. It was part of the reason for LE moving south of Long Beach during end of search. Will try to find and post link.

hahahah..you are funny. a nautical mile =1.15 mile

I have picked up so many of those discs. I have seen them on all the beaches in Gloucester and was up on NH beaches a few days ago...and they were there as well.

One of the things I was thinking was that the current on the bottom of the ocean would be different than the surface, kind of like an express lane, like the movie Finding Nemo. So if she was caught in the express lane it would take her farther and more quickly than if she surfaced or got caught on something. My sense was that she was way out of the area all those days that they were searching. Who knows, was just trying to think of possibilities.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemc
Back